Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,172,851 members, 7,886,284 topics. Date: Thursday, 11 July 2024 at 07:32 AM

Yar'Adua May Move Against Fashola - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Yar'Adua May Move Against Fashola (1715 Views)

PDP Behind Campaign Against Fashola – Tinubu / The Lies Against Fashola/inec On Igbo Pvc's In Lagos / Read 'the True Face Of Lagos' Petition Against Fashola That Instigated The Probe (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Yar'Adua May Move Against Fashola by mogentle(m): 9:35am On Jul 29, 2009
Quite Unbeleivable grin cheesy grin cheesy

http://www.tribune.com.ng/29072009/news/news1.html
57 LGs/LCDAs: I ’ll deal with Fashola, - Yar’Adua - As traditional rulers back Lagos gov
Okey Muogbo, Abuja - 29.07.2009

PRESIDENT Umaru Yar’Adua, on Tuesday, in Abuja, gave reasons why he would move against Governor Babatunde Fashola of Lagos State over the controversial 37 local development council areas in the state.

But the traditional rulers in the Lagos State have expressed support for Governor Fashola, urging him to retain the status quo in relation to the Federal Government ultimatum.

Speaking with journalists before travelling to Brazil on a state visit, the president said, however, that before taking any action, he would give Governor Fashola the opportunity of resolving the logjam through dialogue.

He, however, added that the governor would be compelled to revert to the original 20 local government-structure after talks might have failed. He said the matter went beyond the issue of ultimatum.

He said: “I don’t know what ultimatum. I don’t think the issue between the Federal Government and the Lagos State translates as ultimatum.

“What has happened was that I wrote to the Lagos State governor, drawing his attention to the fact that both himself and myself have sworn to preserve, protect and defend the constitution of this country and that the action of the Lagos State Government and the state INEC was unconstitutional, because the constitution provides for only 20 local governments in Lagos State and I advised the Lagos State governor to take steps to rectify this unconstitutional act.

“He replied me, quoting the State Statutes and putting forward his legal position that they did not violate the constitution. I have referred his reply to the Attorney General of the Federation (AGF) to study the reply and advise me.

“What I am determined to do is that what is constitutional must be adhered to. So if the argument put forward cannot stand on the violation of the constitution, I will invite him to discuss further and dialogue, so that this can be resolved peacefully.

“But the bottomline is that, the constitution cannot be compromised. The constitution must not be violated. If at the end of the day, dialogue fails to resolve the situation, then the Federal Government will be forced to take measures that will ensure that the Lagos State government, its SIEC and other agencies are compelled to abide by the constitution. This is a process that will take some few months and I hope that we will be able to resolve the issue through constructive dialogue.

“Our democracy is still young. We are bound to make mistakes here and there but the important thing is that we must work hard to ensure that the rule of law works in this country. We know it is not easy but it is important to our survival.”

On the crisis plaguing the education sector, Yar’Adua explained: “We have been doing everything possible to stop the crisis. I have met with their officials and the vice-president to re-assess the situation on the crisis with ASUU to see what step, again, the government can take to bring it to an end.

“We are anxious; we are, disturbed that we should keep our students in the universities at home for a very long period of time. “One central issue of the disagreement is not even that of negotiation of salaries but the issue of signing an agreement with ASUU. It is this collective bargaining and signing agreement with ASUU that is against our laws and legal system.

“ASUU is an organisation with membership cutting across federal and state governments. The Federal Government cannot sign an agreement on behalf, for instance, Lagos State or Kano State, to dictate what they are going to pay to lecturers in their own universities.

“The laws of this country have provided for separation of powers. The Lagos State University or Kano State University belongs to the state.

They employ the lecturers there; they pay them; they discipline them; they promote them; they also pay their salaries, allowances and everything and we don’t have control over their funds. Their funds are appropriated by their state Houses of Assembly. We can’t direct them by law to say that they should pay their lecturers so so amount of salaries.

This is what we are telling them, that let us have your agreement. We are not opposed to it but we will not sign a collective agreement to cut across all tiers of government, because we don’t have the constitutional power to do that.

“This is very clear. In this nation, we must respect our laws and this is one of the main points of contention. We told them that for federal universities, the Federal Government will provide the money. But for the state governments, let them go and negotiate with the state governments.

“If Rivers can pay the staff of Rivers State University that amount, may be Kano cannot afford to pay the same amount. Meanwhile, Lagos State Traditional Rulers and Chiefs, on Tuesday, rose in support of the position of the state government on, the demand to return the state to 20 local government areas, advising President Yar’Adua to seek redress in court instead of resorting to threats.

At a fully attended meeting at the Regency Hall, Ikeja, the traditional rulers and chiefs, under the chairmanship of the Oba of Lagos, Oba Rilwan Akiolu, produced a 19-point communique, which they proceeded to hand over to Governor Fashola at the State House, Ikeja.

In it, the traditional rulers viewed the ultimatum to the Lagos State government as uncalled for and provocative in view of the fact that the Supreme Court had long ruled that the creation of the local council development areas was in order.

Meanwhile, the United Nations Secretary-General, Ban Ki-moon, on Tuesday, condemned the sectarian violence which has led to loss of many lives.

He said the unnecessary loss of human lives and the destruction of property as a result of militants attacks were reprehensible.

Ban’s spokesperson, Farhan Haq, told journalists in response to a question that the secretary-general expressed the hope that “those behind the attacks will be identified and brought to justice in accordance with the law.”

http://www.tribune.com.ng/29072009/news/news1.html

Imagine a man of ZERO Achievement giving a threatening notice to a well celebrated Gov'nor.
Re: Yar'Adua May Move Against Fashola by Ibime(m): 9:40am On Jul 29, 2009
mogentle:

“What has happened was that I wrote to the Lagos State governor, drawing his attention to the fact that both himself and myself have sworn to preserve, protect and defend the constitution of this country.

Sarcasm of the highest order.

The same constitution would land Yar'Adua and most of his political friends in prison, if he was so worried about upholding the constitution. A constitution that no one respects is no constitution. When all areas of the country are calling for a new constitution, this idiot is still worried about the defunct one which was foistered upon all of us.
Re: Yar'Adua May Move Against Fashola by kokoA(m): 10:06am On Jul 29, 2009
Yaradua never said he will deal with Fashola. Get your facts right ok?
Re: Yar'Adua May Move Against Fashola by Nobody: 11:38am On Jul 29, 2009
What The Hell? I do hope our esteemed president did not say that. If he did, then it shows these guys are simply trying to pull fashola down, because of the good work he's doing.
I will check it out anyways, I hope it aint true, but this is naija, where a goat/sheep was arrested and detained grin , so anything is possible.
Re: Yar'Adua May Move Against Fashola by kok(m): 11:47am On Jul 29, 2009
The title of this thread is misleading!
Re: Yar'Adua May Move Against Fashola by Epiphany(m): 11:47am On Jul 29, 2009
After reading the whole article, Yar'Adua never said it explicitly, that he will deal with Fashola. What is apparent however, is the fact that Yar'adua is going to try flexing some muscle to make sure that Lagos reverts back to status quo. This however, is a big mistake. If MEND, ASUU, the current Northern Islamic fundamentalists rioters, the SS Governors and all other protesters are not enough for the 'sickly' president, he will have a battle with Lagos State and her population in his hands too.

I am of the opinion that the president does not have good advisers or if he does, he is not listening to them. Something i have also thought of is that Fashola is a SAN himself and will not (hopefully) do anything that he cannot back legally. Knowing him (Fashola) for what he has done and achieved so far, we see that he is a law abiding citizen who only wants the best for Lagos. If this issue of LG's in Lagos was illegal, Fashola would not have had the liver to reply the president in such tones as he did. He would have softpedalled and found a compromising way of reverting to status quo.

E be like say FG and Lagos wan enter boxing ring - maybe like what OBJ and Tinubu were engaged in
Re: Yar'Adua May Move Against Fashola by noblegas2(m): 12:00pm On Jul 29, 2009
Did i belive all wat Yar adus was sayin? No
cuz he is simple incapable of handling anytin & if he tries to play funny Lasan, Awon Boyz ma ya wo Aso Rocl yen ni O, make him leave Lagos Alone jeje & make him dey go do him Check up gently, i dont blame him, i blame his Stupid Advisers, Fashola is really doin a great Job in Lagos but d tin is they dont wanna see any body do sometin good, well i say Bleep Yar Adua & his Crew, carry go Fash, O le nu paaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Yar'Adua May Move Against Fashola by GeorgeD1(m): 12:03pm On Jul 29, 2009
if only yar-a dull could achieve one quater of what fashola acheived in lagos,
nigeria would have been the better for it.
Re: Yar'Adua May Move Against Fashola by Nobody: 12:04pm On Jul 29, 2009
Epiphany:

After reading the whole article, Yar'Adua never said it explicitly, that he will deal with Fashola. What is apparent however, is the fact that Yar'adua is going to try flexing some muscle to make sure that Lagos reverts back to status quo. This however, is a big mistake. If MEND, ASUU, the current Northern Islamic fundamentalists rioters, the SS Governors and all other protesters are not enough for the 'sickly' president, he will have a battle with Lagos State and her population in his hands too.

I am of the opinion that the president does not have good advisers or if he does, he is not listening to them. Something i have also thought of is that Fashola is a SAN himself and will not (hopefully) do anything that he cannot back legally. Knowing him (Fashola) for what he has done and achieved so far, we see that he is a law abiding citizen who only wants the best for Lagos. If this issue of LG's in Lagos was illegal, Fashola would not have had the liver to reply the president in such tones as he did. He would have softpedalled and found a compromising way of reverting to status quo.

E be like say FG and Lagos wan enter boxing ring - maybe like what OBJ and Tinubu were engaged in

In simple English, the man is not fit to run the country, adviser or not.
While i don't know the legal basis for creating local governments, they were created during Tinubu's era. Fashola is Tinubus disciple. He'll try as much as possible to back/defend his master whether it was constitutional or not. Just thoughts. .
Re: Yar'Adua May Move Against Fashola by Nezan(m): 12:05pm On Jul 29, 2009
[size=18pt]The title of this thread is misleading. Despite Yar'Adua's short comings, he didnot threaten Fashola. Let's be objective in our dealings, please[/size].
Re: Yar'Adua May Move Against Fashola by MrCrackles(m): 12:12pm On Jul 29, 2009
Nezan:

[size=18pt]The title of this thread is misleading. Despite Yar'Adua's short comings, he didnot threaten Fashola. Let's be objective in our dealings, please[/size].

GBAM!
Re: Yar'Adua May Move Against Fashola by Witi(m): 12:24pm On Jul 29, 2009
Yaradua never said he will deal with Fashola He said He will employ dialogue to solve the issue and that if dialogue fails he will employ other means to ensure that either of them is prove wrong or right (Probably the court). Moderators confirm facts before you post them on the front-page there other post better than this in the politics section that u can post on the front-page.
Re: Yar'Adua May Move Against Fashola by Kobojunkie: 12:32pm On Jul 29, 2009
Nezan:

Thank you!!
Re: Yar'Adua May Move Against Fashola by larez(m): 12:33pm On Jul 29, 2009
I think Y'ar Adua's response was adequate. There were no threats implied, and I am glad that he acted mature with the statement that he made. This reduces tension and issues have been reverted back to the courts. The only problem here is the question of the honesty and prudence of the Nigerian Supreme court.
Re: Yar'Adua May Move Against Fashola by emmydee(m): 12:52pm On Jul 29, 2009
but why do we like making things difficult for others?
Lagos state deserves more than 30 local councils, so why give her just 20?
Kano has well over 40, i served in kano, how many people actually live in that state
The population of Lagos is about 5 times that of Kano.
Yar 'Adua, please let Lagos have more local councils, or is it why ur govt doesnt want to repair federal roads in Lagos?
A beg, wake up jo!
Re: Yar'Adua May Move Against Fashola by YomiKaycee: 12:54pm On Jul 29, 2009
Mr President, the little energy you've got, please exert it on power generation. The monstrous problems bedevelling the nation are enough to make you loose sleep let alone an action with sincere & fair objective and finally in the process of being regularised by the National Assembly. If you really want to be a detribalised cum objective leader of the nation, you would agree that Lagos deserves more than mere 20 LGAs. Please come down and see things for yourself; the LCDAs are working, they are touching lives and that is what counts. So, instead of choosing to drum the beats of war, please ask your Attorney General to work with Lagos State's to fashion out a speedy process of accomodating the LCDAs to the fold of constitutionally recognised LGAs. Please choose to be a partner in progress and not otherwise.

Thank you.
Re: Yar'Adua May Move Against Fashola by Mowire: 1:14pm On Jul 29, 2009
I think this whole thing of demand to 20 LGAs is simple politics of distraction being engineered by the Yoruba traitors that populate PDP. It has always been their ways. They are uncomfortable with the strides being taken by Fashola in Lagos and they probably are afraid that if used in campaigns in 2011 they may lose all the SW states. So a little distraction, they believe, will slow the state Fashola down at least a bit.

Edo and Ondo states may be receiving Yar' Ardua's attention soon.

That man Yar'Adua is a very cunning man. People like him are horrible schemers.

I don't understand how the issue of Lagos lg should become so important for any serious person who cares about the terrible problems confronting this country.
Re: Yar'Adua May Move Against Fashola by Gayigaskia(m): 1:59pm On Jul 29, 2009
[This article only reinforces the view that Yardua is committed to respecting the constitution, not the opposite. they are proving that the guy is committed to the rule of law instead .

For people comparing the job that fashola is doing to that of Yaradua, i will ask them How big lagos state is ? how many people they have?

Fashola may not be able to do a better job than Yaradua at the federal level!
Re: Yar'Adua May Move Against Fashola by naijatoday: 2:03pm On Jul 29, 2009
Yar'Adua did not say "I will Deal With Fashola", but it was the front page headline of Nigerian Tribune. And the thread starter just quoted them (nigerian tribune)
Re: Yar'Adua May Move Against Fashola by Larufa(m): 2:40pm On Jul 29, 2009
NA TRIBUNE IF CARRY THIS TYPE OF NEWS.

WE ALL KNOW THE PAPER NA PDP PAPER.
Re: Yar'Adua May Move Against Fashola by GeorgeD1(m): 11:29am On Jul 30, 2009
the sick man is just plain jealous. for two years now it has been only talk, talk and no action.
instead of copying others who are achieving results for their people, he wants to bring them down.
Re: Yar'Adua May Move Against Fashola by otokx(m): 11:42am On Jul 30, 2009
It is a pity
Re: Yar'Adua May Move Against Fashola by Nobody: 4:55pm On Jul 30, 2009
Mehn, we have uncivilized politicians in office.

If this bush ppl can't work together, how is the country suppose to thrive? undecided
Re: Yar'Adua May Move Against Fashola by dlox01(m): 5:00pm On Jul 30, 2009
YAR'A'DULL - U HAD BETTER REVERT BACK TO 20 LOCAL GOVERNMENTS O!!!
FASHOLA - YIF U ARE REALLY INTRESED IN 20, U SHOULD STICK 2 UR VISION 20-2020!!! LOL

YAR'A'SLOWA IS JUST DULL!!!
Re: Yar'Adua May Move Against Fashola by Nobody: 5:09pm On Jul 30, 2009
mogentle:

“What has happened was that I wrote to the Lagos State governor, drawing his attention to the fact that both himself and myself have sworn to preserve, protect and defend the constitution of this country and that the action of the Lagos State Government and the state INEC was unconstitutional, because the constitution provides for only 20 local governments in Lagos State and I advised the Lagos State governor to take steps to rectify this unconstitutional act.

I wonder where sharia law is on that constitution you claim to be defending.

Why should Kano have over 40 LGs (a clear means of obtaining more federal revenue) and Lagos shld have only 20? Since when did LGs become the purview of the Federal Government?

The ND situation is unsolved, Boko Haram has led to over 300 deaths, NEPA is non-existent, manufacturing has virtually collapsed and what Mr. President is worried about is 17 extra "unconstitutional" LGs in a Lagos state that is virtually the engine room of the entire nation?

what a horrible shame.
Re: Yar'Adua May Move Against Fashola by Fhemmmy: 6:22pm On Jul 30, 2009
Yar'Adua is a joker sha
Re: Yar'Adua May Move Against Fashola by mamag3: 1:17am On Jul 31, 2009
Yar'Adua needs to be in a hospital not instead of being a leader in Nigeria, seriously. undecided
Re: Yar'Adua May Move Against Fashola by mogentle(m): 1:01pm On Jul 31, 2009
So my topic can be edited withouth my knowledge.
Well, maybe it's part of terms and condition for using Nairaland.
I Quoted Tribune Subheading in my Topic (I'll deal with Fashola)
@ http://www.tribune.com.ng/29072009/news/news1.html
It's not that I formed it.
Well, admin, thanks for the amendment.

LONG LIVE NAIRALAND!!!!!!!!!
Re: Yar'Adua May Move Against Fashola by GeorgeD1(m): 1:19pm On Jul 31, 2009
why are you complaining, brother? mine never even made it to the 'recent'
list of topics. make dem dey do wetin dem like!
Re: Yar'Adua May Move Against Fashola by fyneguy: 11:26pm On Jul 31, 2009
Yaradua succeeded in deceiving you guys, using diplomacy!

So you guys couldn't read between his lines?

In the letter he wrote to Fashola, did he not give him a deadline?

The issue of dialogue is an after-thought and targeted at pulling the wool on your faces.

Yaradua definitely knows LASG is resolute about the Local government creation. And he has a premeditated gameplan.

What Yaradua does not know is that the constitution actually caused this confusion and LASG capitalized on this.

There's no way the local governments created can be declared illegal or unconstitutional by the court.

If the constitution had said the national assembly must ratify the creation, then it would have been illegal. However the constitution only says the national assembly should enlist the new local governments in the constitution ( more like updating the constitution with new information)- That's the import of that statement.

Now, since the LASG has forwarded the list of the 57 LGAs to the national assembly, LASG has fulfilled its own part of the procedures. As far as the constitution is concerned, the national assembly is only expected to update the constitution and not to ratify the creation.

The Supreme court used the word "Inchoate'' for the Local governments, which can be likened to a premature baby. The fact that the baby is prem doesn't mean the baby is not alive and does not give anyone the right to kill the baby.

There are 2 solutions:

1  For the national assembly to update the constitution

2. For the constitution to be amended to either give the national assembly the power to ratify or  expunge the need for the national assembly to enlist the new LGAs

The excuse often advanced against local govt creation is that other states will start creating mushroom LGAs to get more allocations from the FG.
The solution to this is not far-fetched - FG should pay bulk sum to each state for its local governments, based on population of the state. The states should then distribute the funds to their LGAs (with constitutional backing). So a state can create  500 LGAs if she so wishes. She'll still get the same allocation from the national purse.
Re: Yar'Adua May Move Against Fashola by GeorgeD1(m): 3:18pm On Aug 02, 2009
that guy is a snake!
Re: Yar'Adua May Move Against Fashola by illusion2: 3:27pm On Aug 02, 2009
George_D:

that guy is a snake!
Correction. . .he's a sick snake grin grin

(1) (2) (Reply)

Is Justice Slow In Corruption Cases? / Attention Lagos State Government ! / Pic Of Obama Staring At A Ladies @ss

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.