Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,190,900 members, 7,942,260 topics. Date: Saturday, 07 September 2024 at 04:44 AM

An Ounce Of Truth In Becomerich's Words Afterall? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / An Ounce Of Truth In Becomerich's Words Afterall? (1457 Views)

“ounce For Ounce, BokoHaram Is Equal To The Nigerian Military,” USA / Yar'adua Interviewed By BBC: He's Alive Afterall! / Lord Lugard On Africans! Any Truth In This? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

An Ounce Of Truth In Becomerich's Words Afterall? by oyinda3(f): 8:39pm On Jul 29, 2009
Yes becomerich has been labeled nairaland clown with his satellite maps and alien sounding ideas.
but when you seriously look at the condition in naija right now and where this country is headed (other ethnic groups clamouring for separate igbo/biafra, hausa/arewa states), I genuinely feel that Benin can be a really good ally for yorubas if we end up being left by ourselves as the remaining major ethnic group of a potential "former Nigeria."
i'm not praying or hoping for nigeria to divide. but if it does end up happening. . .what do you think?

ps: becomerich pls you can contribute but don't post any pics please. i don't want this topic to turn into just another becomerich's silly humorous topic.
Re: An Ounce Of Truth In Becomerich's Words Afterall? by Kobojunkie: 8:47pm On Jul 29, 2009
Oh my !!! They got you to you too?? Please say it ain't so. cry cry
Re: An Ounce Of Truth In Becomerich's Words Afterall? by oyinda3(f): 8:51pm On Jul 29, 2009
can you please air your opinion and contribute?
tell us why you think it's a silly idea. considering benin has the largest yoruba population in africa besides nigeria.
Re: An Ounce Of Truth In Becomerich's Words Afterall? by Kobojunkie: 8:52pm On Jul 29, 2009
I am not a secessionist, nor am I a tribalist. Sorry, I happen to be one of those who believe all this is born of cowardice and refusal to face the responsibility that is ours as Nigerians.
Re: An Ounce Of Truth In Becomerich's Words Afterall? by oyinda3(f): 8:54pm On Jul 29, 2009
yea i believe in one nigeria too. but the way things are going i think it's not a bad idea to start thinking of what will happen when the igbos do carry out their secession plans. even the hausas are starting to get ideas. undecided can u imagine arewa republic?
Re: An Ounce Of Truth In Becomerich's Words Afterall? by ikeyman00(m): 8:55pm On Jul 29, 2009
not suprised

this is what u get with oppp lipsrsealed

koni koni

they ve finally decided to open up a thread??

im afraid u are part of the problem

does the north really wana go alone?? i dnt mean the looters in charge u might be suprised big NO

but oduduwa with the trait!!

im watchin
Re: An Ounce Of Truth In Becomerich's Words Afterall? by oyinda3(f): 8:57pm On Jul 29, 2009
no we don't want to leave. we're just trying to discuss what's going to happen when you guys leave and we're left by ourselves wink
Re: An Ounce Of Truth In Becomerich's Words Afterall? by C2H5OH(f): 8:58pm On Jul 29, 2009
pure crapshoot
Re: An Ounce Of Truth In Becomerich's Words Afterall? by ikeyman00(m): 8:59pm On Jul 29, 2009
when u heard of Biafara

what does that stand for

do u really think the igbos and niger-delta wana go alone

does nigeria belongs to the yorubas and the hausa

is nigeria constitution right for the country

nigeria borrowed the america constitution, is it really the same

i got 99 question

but will the triat let oduduwa see the light

does IRA lead to the secession of the Catholics from the Anglicans
Re: An Ounce Of Truth In Becomerich's Words Afterall? by ikeyman00(m): 9:00pm On Jul 29, 2009
[size=20pt]therefore this thread should be closed!![/size]
Re: An Ounce Of Truth In Becomerich's Words Afterall? by Kobojunkie: 9:00pm On Jul 29, 2009
oyinda.:

yea i believe in one nigeria too. but the way things are going i think it's not a bad idea to start thinking of what will happen when the igbos do carry out their secession plans. even the hausas are starting to get ideas. undecided can u imagine arewa republic?

I sort of see it the way I would a marriage. You are joined together and you now, after so many years of neglecting the marriage, have the side that believe divorce is the only solution. Problem is there is no proof that divorce really solves the problem that exists, and on other end, you have the fact that both people in the marriage barely lifted a finger in all that time to actually work on making the marriage work. So this is just a way to escape responsibility.

It is expected that everyone would get these ideas.
Re: An Ounce Of Truth In Becomerich's Words Afterall? by Vealkyrie(f): 9:04pm On Jul 29, 2009
^^^^^^^Nigerian unity is only a British invention. The Nigerian people themselves are historically different in their backgrounds, in their religious beliefs and customs and do not show themselves any signs of willingness to unite. Nigeria is not a nation. It is a mere geographical expression.
The word "Nigerian" is merely a distinctive appellation to distinguish those who live within the boundaries of Nigeria and those who do not.
Re: An Ounce Of Truth In Becomerich's Words Afterall? by oyinda3(f): 9:08pm On Jul 29, 2009
Kobojunkie:

I sort of see it the way I would a marriage. You are joined together and you now, after so many years of neglecting the marriage, have the side that believe divorce is the only solution. Problem is there is no proof that divorce really solves the problem that exists, and on other end, you have the fact that both people in the marriage barely lifted a finger in all that time to actually work on making the marriage work. So this is just a way to escape responsibility.

yea i agree with you. but you don't get the point. i'm talking about WHAT COMES NEXT AFTER AN INEVITABLE DIVORCE. if they refuse to stay and we are left on our own what do we do? i think having some kind of deal with benin is a very plausible idea.

are you saying that you would prefer to have a second civil war or worse than let them go? even if we do end up the victors after the war, it's going to be very bad situation. relations wise i mean.
Re: An Ounce Of Truth In Becomerich's Words Afterall? by ikeyman00(m): 9:08pm On Jul 29, 2009
but as a citizen of the earth like some say

In Uk, we ve got the chinese,indians,arabs,africans

so why cant the most laughin stcock of the earth get on

do they really wana help themselves?
Re: An Ounce Of Truth In Becomerich's Words Afterall? by oyinda3(f): 9:14pm On Jul 29, 2009
C2H5OH:

pure crapshoot

explique toi s'il te plait
Re: An Ounce Of Truth In Becomerich's Words Afterall? by ezeagu(m): 9:16pm On Jul 29, 2009
Kobojunkie:

What about an arranged marriage?
Re: An Ounce Of Truth In Becomerich's Words Afterall? by Kobojunkie: 9:20pm On Jul 29, 2009
oyinda.:

yea i agree with you. but you don't get the point. i'm talking about WHAT COMES NEXT AFTER AN INEVITABLE DIVORCE. if they refuse to stay and we are left on our own what do we do? i think having some kind of deal with benin is a very plausible idea.

are you saying that you would prefer to have a second civil war or worse than let them go? even if we do end up the victors after the war, it's going to be very bad situation. relations wise i mean.

I am saying I don’t believe a divorce is going to happen in the next 50 years; a civil war? Not likely considering the history of the people we are talking of here. Even those demanding a divorce do not even have a plan on what comes next, but as is usual in Nigeria, are more about talking of it than considering the consequence of such, should it come.

You lost me at WE? Which we? The Yorubas? Ibos? Or Hausas? If the country is allowed to split up, the same problems are bound to continue, until now you have about 3 different countries, but greater “surface area” for looting, corruption and the lot.
Re: An Ounce Of Truth In Becomerich's Words Afterall? by oyinda3(f): 9:26pm On Jul 29, 2009
Kobojunkie:

You lost me at WE? Which we? The Yorubas? Ibos? Or Hausas? If the country is allowed to split up, the same problems are bound to continue, until now you have about 3 different countries, but greater “surface area” for looting, corruption and the lot.

"we" as in people who don't want secession.
how do u mean the same problems will continue if there is a split? I mean there will prolly still be corruption but whole ethnic strife will stop abi? one less problem to concentrate on. . . but the best goal of course will be to solve this problem without separating.
Re: An Ounce Of Truth In Becomerich's Words Afterall? by Kobojunkie: 9:49pm On Jul 29, 2009
oyinda.:

"we" as in people who don't want secession.

Oh!! Now I get it!

oyinda.:

how do u mean the same problems will continue if there is a split? I mean there will prolly still be corruption but whole ethnic strife will stop abi?

I don’t believe so. Take a trip to a town in Ondo state and ask questions around about neighboring communities. Within an hour, you are bound to come out with the impression that there is no love lost between people of the community you are in and neighboring communities. The ethnic problems that exist today are not just on an Ibos against Yorubas or Hausas against Ibos level. You only need to read the news often to know that even within the same tribes, there are still ethnic squabbles that influence politics and so on. You create a Nation of one tribe and you simply magnify the problems by so much more.

oyinda.:

one less problem to concentrate on. . . but the best goal of course will be to solve this problem without separating.

I think it all comes down to people who are not out preaching separation to try to mobilize for change in the way they can or this time bomb may explode soon. We have seen Liberia and Kenya; we are likely to have worse considering the population and the hatred that has been boiling in the minds of many of different tribes and religions for so many years now, against their neighbors.
Re: An Ounce Of Truth In Becomerich's Words Afterall? by ezeagu(m): 10:08pm On Jul 29, 2009
People do not feel as one and its felt all over the globe with Nigerian to the point that there's even prejudice against Nigerian ethnic groups as far as England. The example of conflicts between subgroups of an ethnic group cannot be compared to moving a petroleum university from a oil producing area to a desert. No matter how an Anambra person an Ika person or an Ngwa person may have squabbles or even fight, that does not overshadow the fact that they all feel part of the same nation, which the Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba do not feel a part off, hence oyinda calling Igbo people 419ers, one Nigeria indeed.
Re: An Ounce Of Truth In Becomerich's Words Afterall? by Nobody: 10:10pm On Jul 29, 2009
Benin Republic? So we can go start learning french and use the worthless CEFA?

No thanks, the southwest can go it alone.
Re: An Ounce Of Truth In Becomerich's Words Afterall? by sunboy(m): 10:21pm On Jul 29, 2009
Nigeria's amalgamation was a marriage of inconvenience , only GOD fit unite us, since Britico style no work.
Re: An Ounce Of Truth In Becomerich's Words Afterall? by Beaf: 10:25pm On Jul 29, 2009
Nigeria is the most ethnically diverse country on Earth. Even China with 1.5 billion people, is almost all Han Chinese.
It is sad, but African borders aren't natural; they were built for divide and rule. Several studies have concluded that ethnic diversity leads to lower development and income e.g. http://www.econ.upf.edu/~montalvo/wp/jde_marta_jose.pdf

Forget about Benin Republic. Western Nigeria has a lot to offer, what would Benin bring to the table. Nigerians are wide eyed, Benin people love their voodoo, they speak French. . . It would just be another bad arrangement.

It woul be better for the Yoruba to make up with the South East and South South.
Whether Arewa pulls out or not, the answer to the 9ja issue is to sit down and draw up both citizen and regional contracts, if we fail to do this, we are better of splitting. Regions are already ready (or are preparing) for full scale war. Anyone thinking there cannot be civil war, either does not understand the way the shoe bites on the ground or is grossly underestimating the levels of dissent. There is hunger amidst plenty, corruption and nepotism. For every step forward, there are two backwards as details get lost in the next ethnic melee. 12 states have already adopted sharia in a secular federation, the army motto is "victory for Allah" while "Taliban" can spring out of Northern society; 90% of govt revenue is derived from oil; our best professionals are in foreign climes because our country lacks basic instituitions and employment outlets.

The answer is a national conference, not running of to Benin Republic. We are going around in circles as a nation because we simply won't sit down to negotiate our continued shared existence, equitable structure of the state, responsibility of the state to the citizen, responsibiliy of the citizen to the state and citizens rights.
Re: An Ounce Of Truth In Becomerich's Words Afterall? by philip0906(m): 10:30pm On Jul 29, 2009
mmm.what a thread. shocked shocked
Re: An Ounce Of Truth In Becomerich's Words Afterall? by oyinda3(f): 10:37pm On Jul 29, 2009
Beaf:

Nigeria is the most ethnically diverse country on Earth. Even China with 1.5 billion people, is almost all Han Chinese.
It is sad, but African borders aren't natural; they were built for divide and rule. Several studies have concluded that ethnic diversity leads to lower development and income e.g. http://www.econ.upf.edu/~montalvo/wp/jde_marta_jose.pdf

Forget about Benin Republic. Western Nigeria has a lot to offer, what would Benin bring to the table. Nigerians are wide eyed, Benin people love their voodoo, they speak French. . . It would just be another bad arrangement.

It woul be better for the Yoruba to make up with the South East and South South.
Whether Arewa pulls out or not, the answer to the 9ja issue is to sit down and draw up both citizen and regional contracts, if we fail to do this, we are better of splitting. Regions are already ready (or are preparing) for full scale war. Anyone thinking there cannot be civil war, either does not understand the way the shoe bites on the ground or is grossly underestimating the levels of dissent. There is hunger amidst plenty, corruption and nepotism. For every step forward, there are two backwards as details get lost in the next ethnic melee. 12 states have already adopted sharia in a secular federation, the army motto is "victory for Allah" while "Taliban" can spring out of Northern society; 90% of govt revenue is derived from oil; our best professionals are in foreign climes because our country lacks basic instituitions and employment outlets.

The answer is a national conference, not running of to Benin Republic. We are going around in circles as a nation because we simply won't sit down to negotiate our continued shared existence, equitable structure of the state, responsibility of the state to the citizen, responsibiliy of the citizen to the state and citizens rights.

thanks i like your answer a lot. I prefer for naija to have regional govts like in the past than for us to divide as well.
i almost forgot the benin speak french. lmao i got carried away by the yoruba ethnicity there. but still i think benin will make a better neighbor for us than either the igbos or hausas. don't u think?
Re: An Ounce Of Truth In Becomerich's Words Afterall? by proudly9ja(m): 10:59pm On Jul 29, 2009
Like Kobo said, even if we break up, the same issues of corruption and ethnicity will arise. How many groups do we want to break into?

For me, the solution lies in us returning to the regional way we used to be. Say 3/4/5 regions and each region allowed to run the way it wants to run itself. The regional heads (governors or whatever we choose to call them) will have powers to run each region the same way a president runs a country. Each region will also have 100% control of its natural resources but make monthly contributions (say 10%) to the central Govt. Each region will also have her police.

The central government will be in charge of the National Army and also have a federal police for major highways, etc. The Constitution must be adhered to by all regions but each region can make make laws guiding it as long as they do not run contrary to the constitution.

The above may not be perfect but I think its a start. Its so obvious that Nigeria as it is is not working. We need to start exploring other options.
Re: An Ounce Of Truth In Becomerich's Words Afterall? by Nobody: 11:59pm On Jul 29, 2009
oyinda.:

thanks i like your answer a lot. I prefer for naija to have regional govts like in the past than for us to divide as well.
i almost forgot the benin speak french. lmao i got carried away by the yoruba ethnicity there. but still i think benin will make a better neighbor for us than either the igbos or hausas. don't u think?

@ bolded

dont be.

@ topic

the issue here is so many different tribes are trying to gain the upper hand and redraw what they see as faulty colonial boundaries.

However, most of the so-called "restructuring" isnt for the common good but rather just for some interest groups to "emerge" as overlords. ie gain territory.
Re: An Ounce Of Truth In Becomerich's Words Afterall? by Beaf: 12:37am On Jul 30, 2009
tpia.:

@ bolded
dont be.
@ topic

the issue here is so many different tribes are trying to gain the upper hand and redraw what they see as faulty colonial boundaries.

However, most of the so-called "restructuring" isnt for the common good but rather just for some interest groups to "emerge" as overlords. ie gain territory.

shocked shocked shocked
What is this "common good" in present day Nigeria and where does it exist? Where has territory been mentioned in any of the current struggles (violent and peaceful)?
Re: An Ounce Of Truth In Becomerich's Words Afterall? by Beaf: 12:39am On Jul 30, 2009
oyinda.:

Yoruba's don't have Igbo or Hausa neighbours.
Your neighbours are Egbira and Edo so there shouldn't be issues if theres a split.

It is difficult to imagine being neighbours with a state that is governed by religious laws (regardless of the religion), so assuming the Egbira's join the Yoruba's, their nation would still have a hellish border; across which there will always be Boko Haram style riots and the security pains of fighting the import of such cults.

The problems the Yoruba have with most of the South (including Igbo's) is cultural and can be bridged with the right leadership.
Re: An Ounce Of Truth In Becomerich's Words Afterall? by bawomolo(m): 12:42am On Jul 30, 2009
Beaf - you forgot egun people.

A union with Benin would face lots of logistic difficulties. 

i no dey speak francais o.

why not stick it out in Nigeria just mess with the unknown?
Re: An Ounce Of Truth In Becomerich's Words Afterall? by Nobody: 12:44am On Jul 30, 2009
bawomolo:

Beaf - you forgot egun people.

A union with Benin would face lots of logistic difficulties. 

i no dey speak francais o.

why not stick it out in Nigeria just mess with the unknown?

can you stop?

You're not unaware of the effect these words have on people.

jeez.
Re: An Ounce Of Truth In Becomerich's Words Afterall? by Nobody: 12:45am On Jul 30, 2009
Beaf:

shocked shocked shocked
What is this "common good" in present day Nigeria and where does it exist? Where has territory been mentioned in any of the current struggles (violent and peaceful)?

its called reading between the lines.

(1) (2) (Reply)

What Will Happen If IBB Is Arrested? / Jonathan Is Now In Charge / Daniel And Bankole Fight To Finish In Ogun

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.