Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,169,755 members, 7,875,892 topics. Date: Sunday, 30 June 2024 at 12:55 AM

Murtala Mohammed Vs Buhari- Time Of Impact Assessment - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Murtala Mohammed Vs Buhari- Time Of Impact Assessment (785 Views)

Buhari's Hand Over Letter In February Vs Buhari's Hand Over Letter In May. / Obasanjo Saluting The Corpse Of Murtala Mohammed (Throwback Photo) / Passengers Board Flights In Darkness At Murtala Mohammed Airport (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Murtala Mohammed Vs Buhari- Time Of Impact Assessment by olapluto(m): 3:29pm On Apr 04, 2016
Murtala Mohammed was head of state for about 6 months. Prior to his time, corruption was very high and things were not rosy. Within 6 months, Murtala had impacted on the nation.
Muhammadu Buhari current head of state has been on seat for over 10 months. Corruption fight is going on, but very slow.

Both were focused on fighting corruption. While I admit that one was a military president (thus bypassed legislative and judiciary bottleneck), it seems things are a bit slow with Buhari.
Here is what an old associate of Murtala Mohammed said:
He was very energetic and hard working and sometimes he was brash. When I say brash, I mean he was in a hurry to get things happen. Unfortunately, he could not achieve much before he was assassinated. We came on board with him in August 1975 and in February 1976, he was assassinated.
http://www.vanguardngr.com/2016/02/how-murtalas-brashness-cost-him-his-life-gen-omu/

What Murtala Mohammed did:
1. He set up asset investigation panel. This was an active organisation. Currently, we have Code of Conduct Bureau, which is as slow as Saraki is making it. Is there anything Buhari can improve on in terms of pace?
2.Special Military tribunal for corruption. Can Buhari get through with his special corruption courts request? What about lawyers and SANs that intentionally delay proceedings? Is there any way around them?

Please note. This topic is for intelligent contributors. If you have nothing to say to it, please just leave. I invite PDP and APC supporters to join in as well.
Is Buhari being held back by the state he's presiding over? Or is Baba just threading softly to avoid ending like Murtala Mohammed? Or is it Baba's age that is making him more methodological in approach?
Re: Murtala Mohammed Vs Buhari- Time Of Impact Assessment by Kingscomptech(m): 4:04pm On Apr 04, 2016
Your write up is excellent. My advice is that Baba Buhari should tread softly so that he doesn't end up like Murtala Muhammed. His election supporters, even the northerners are lamenting bad economy, and some are even denying him in bustops, public parks and train stations. I feel for him. We need more patience to see the light at the end of this dark tunnel.
Re: Murtala Mohammed Vs Buhari- Time Of Impact Assessment by omowolewa: 4:08pm On Apr 04, 2016
Nice writeup. It's all about style
Re: Murtala Mohammed Vs Buhari- Time Of Impact Assessment by obailala(m): 4:19pm On Apr 04, 2016
I think the answer to the question raised is already in the write-up. Excessive gra-gra cost Murtala his life in 6-months. Excessive gra-gra cost Buhari his seat in 18-months and he additionally had to cool his heels in prison for 40-months afterwards. 30-years later, Buhari is now being restrained by democratic bureaucracy and the fear of the repercussions of excess gra-gra (would be silly to repeat the same mistakes again).

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Murtala Mohammed Vs Buhari- Time Of Impact Assessment by Montaque(m): 4:29pm On Apr 04, 2016
What u can achieve in the military era within a period say 6months can surpass a civilians achievement in a year. but what you have damaged in that period say in the mentality n psyche of the citizenry is more.
Lets wait till 2019. just that pmb isnt building on our institutional structure

1 Like

Re: Murtala Mohammed Vs Buhari- Time Of Impact Assessment by 989900: 5:04pm On Apr 04, 2016
Montaque:
What u can achieve in the military era within a period say 6months can surpass a civilians achievement in a year. but what you have damaged in that period say in the mentality n psyche of the citizenry is more.
Lets wait till 2019. just that pmb isnt building on our institutional structure

I agree with all the above except the emboldened (kindly clarify).
Re: Murtala Mohammed Vs Buhari- Time Of Impact Assessment by IsraeliAIRFORCE: 5:16pm On Apr 04, 2016
Stop being ridiculous.

There is no single patriotic achievement that has a signature of any military ruler whatsoever. The Military presided over a nation on auto pilot or at best set a perpetual part to corruption made possible by few infrastructural development that served as a conduit for draining the economy and ferrying away our common wealth overseas.

Who initiated the corruption they so called Military fought?

A four years democratic rule is better than forty years military rule.

Let no one take you for a fool, a civilian President will forever be better than any retired military President in Nigeria (presiding over our democracy in 21st century)
Re: Murtala Mohammed Vs Buhari- Time Of Impact Assessment by Nobody: 5:33pm On Apr 04, 2016
IsraeliAIRFORCE:
Stop being ridiculous.

There is no single patriotic achievement that has a signature of any military ruler whatsoever. The Military presided over a nation on auto pilot or at best set a perpetual part to corruption made possible by few infrastructural development that served as a conduit for draining the economy and ferrying away our common wealth overseas.

Who initiated the corruption they so called Military fought?

A four years democratic rule is better than forty years military rule.

Let no one take you for a fool, a civilian President will forever be better than any retired military President in Nigeria (presiding over our democracy in 21st century)

The damage done by muritala to the civil service readily comes to mind.
Re: Murtala Mohammed Vs Buhari- Time Of Impact Assessment by IsraeliAIRFORCE: 5:42pm On Apr 04, 2016
Obiagelli:

The damage done by muritala to the civil service readily comes to mind.

God bless you.

From thence, the civil service became a corruption agent that spoiled the entire system.

See what they do to budgets. Padding in a bid to share the excess with politicians

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Murtala Mohammed Vs Buhari- Time Of Impact Assessment by OrlandoOwoh(m): 5:49pm On Apr 04, 2016
Murtala Muhammed was a military HoS while Buhari is a civilian President.
Re: Murtala Mohammed Vs Buhari- Time Of Impact Assessment by Montaque(m): 6:33pm On Apr 04, 2016
989900:

I agree with all the above except the emboldened (kindly clarify).
to build institutions in my sense, is to broaden the activities of govt. allow all sectors to work on independent mode, in that sense we have a low impression seeing the way the various ministers r faring in their ministry. some of them r tied directly to pmb like pet.
The legislatures hasnt been independent as expected. they seem to be on the same page with the executive. u hardly see saraki n dogara take a diff view from pmb on issues. the cct case used to hound saraki is still hot.
the judiciary has the worst hit. the presidents men openly run them down. even pmb on media chat openly asserted his moral bearing on their decision.
I may be wrong but I am seeing the signs of a president foisting his opinion on his ministers agaisnt their opinion.
Re: Murtala Mohammed Vs Buhari- Time Of Impact Assessment by 989900: 7:35pm On Apr 04, 2016
Montaque:

to build institutions in my sense, is to broaden the activities of govt. allow all sectors to work on independent mode, in that sense we have a low impression seeing the way the various ministers r faring in their ministry. some of them r tied directly to pmb like pet.
The legislatures hasnt been independent as expected. they seem to be on the same page with the executive. u hardly see saraki n dogara take a diff view from pmb on issues. the cct case used to hound saraki is still hot.
the judiciary has the worst hit. the presidents men openly run them down. even pmb on media chat openly asserted his moral bearing on their decision.
I may be wrong but I am seeing the signs of a president foisting his opinion on his ministers agaisnt their opinion.

I feel the same way, but I think it is roughly about the proper way to go at this moment in time.

Maybe a few things could be done a little differently in terms of approach.

Remember, Nigerians have a knack for making a mess of your plans for their own selfish interest, even relatives do it.

PMB won the ticket on the cliché that, he'd stem the rot of indiscipline/corruption sending the nation to her early demise --those around him are same ol' same ol', most of them are just waiting for opportunities to fill up their insatiable lust for wealth acquisition -- PMB won't want them to mess him up. And of course, that kind of mistrust and policing as it's negative impact.

And the judiciary is as corrupt as scoliosis -- we all know that.
Re: Murtala Mohammed Vs Buhari- Time Of Impact Assessment by Montaque(m): 8:04pm On Apr 04, 2016
989900:

I feel the same way, but I think it is roughly about the proper way to go at this moment in time.

Maybe a few things could be done a little differently in terms of approach.

Remember, Nigerians have a knack for making a mess of your plans for their own selfish interest, even relatives do it.

PMB won the ticket on the cliché that, he'd stem the rot of indiscipline/corruption sending the nation to her early demise --those around him are same ol' same ol', most of them are just waiting for opportunities to fill up their insatiable lust for wealth acquisition -- PMB won't want them to mess him up. And of course, that kind of mistrust and policing as it's negative impact.

And the judiciary is as corrupt as scoliosis -- we all know that.

the judiciary is corrupt but hardly at the supreme court. most of the corruption cases are at the high court both state n federal. Now we just use the smear for all hierarchy. can u stop corrupt practices that way? imagine bayo on sahara reporters insulting the supreme court justices. their judgments are well reasoned n just. but he has insulted n will keep insulting them, now ask urself what will happen tomorrow if they reach judgment against apc?
u may site corruption but its like saying nigeria is corrupt when there r good people here.

(1) (Reply)

Everything You Need To Know About #panamapapers / The Irony Of War / Gov. Wike: The Wicked Flee When No Man Pursueth - APC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.