Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,399 members, 7,950,861 topics. Date: Tuesday, 17 September 2024 at 02:19 AM

Diary Of A Bread Seller - Celebrities - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / Diary Of A Bread Seller (503 Views)

Mompha Exposes Hushpuppi: Fraudster, Your Mom A Bread Seller & Dad A Taxi Driver / Man Dresses Like "Olajumoke, The Bread Seller' For Halloween / TY Bello And Jumoke "The Agege Bread Seller" Take Selfie Together (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Diary Of A Bread Seller by Buchi001: 3:29pm On Apr 06, 2016
The past few months have yielded different realities for many Nigerians. For some it’s been good, for most of us however it’s been terrible as the economy is definitely ‘on a long thing’.

For Olajumoke Orisaguna however, it’s been fame and grace all the way. The attention accorded the casual mistake that made her famous continues to incite mixed reactions, some of the most trending being reactions from Samira Bello of TheOtherStyle.com, who described Olajumoke as non-model and non-super.

According to Google, Olajumoke is currently the most Googled person in Nigeria, now that’s quite a feat for a pretty bread seller.

It actually just struck me that about two months ago a UNILAG student graduated with a 5.0 CGPA, and I wonder, does anyone remember his name? Not likely (I actually googled his name for this post). And the question is why isn’t Ayodele Daniel Dada, the 5.0 CGPA guy even half as popular as Olajumoke?

For me it’s not really surprising that Olajumoke’s story is virally popular in Nigeria. It’s not because it was T.Y Bello who was taking the pictures on that faithful day. It’s simply because her story fits into many likeable Nigerian concepts, the most important being that she represents the idea of “an easy success”, the most desirable form of success for every Nigerian.

The idea of get rich quick or making it big without hard work is the kind of success almost every living Nigerian desires. It’s the kind of success we pray for daily in our churches and mosques. The “posses your possession” type of miracles we wish for, the “it is my turn to shine” and “God will embarrass you with blessings” manner of testimonies pastorpreneurs promote daily to earn money for their private jets. It is simply a story absolutely loveable by Nigerians.

Olajumoke’s story has been sold and bought in such a way that is has struck a positive note on the nerves of millions of us Nigerians whom are either naturally struggling form pay check to pay check, or sell bread and bread-like articles like Olajumoke once did.

The tomato seller at Mile 12 market likes Olajumoke because she gives her hope that someday her own miracle could happen. The carpenter at Katako market in Kano loves Olajumoke because she gives him a vision beyond sawdust. The fish seller at Ogbete main market in Enugu adores Olajumoke because she is the dream she had.

The yam seller in Gboko Benue state and the akara woman at Choba – Port Hacourt believe in Olajumoke because they understand her pain and struggle before now and wish they were like her.

What of my dear bread sellers nationwide, Oh!, their joy knows no bounds. Finally one of their very own has made it and who says its not another bread guy's turn next. In fact the leadership of the National Association of Bread Sellers has issued a directive; that all bread sellers must dress very well before venturing out especially in the evening.

They are to particularly watch out for picture taking events and if they can’t find one, get a photographer (who can work on credit) to create one for them.

Are these the only class of Nigerians in love with Olajumoke, Oh no, absolutely not. The white collar worker loves her story because it’s the same kind of effortless promotion he/she has been praying for at the office, Corporate Nigeria love Olajumoke because she is the perfect publicity......................................................... continue......................................
http://www.mybeautifulnigeria.com/diary-of-a-bread-seller/

(1) (Reply)

Mariah Carey Insures Her Voice For $70m / Annie Idibia Shares Cute Throwback Photo / Please Let Us Raise Our Son In Peace-doris Simeon Ex Husband

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.