Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,597 members, 7,888,902 topics. Date: Saturday, 13 July 2024 at 06:02 PM

It Is Very Easy To Refine Crude Oil - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / It Is Very Easy To Refine Crude Oil (1297 Views)

Looting Nigeria's Money Is Very Easy - Kemi Adeosun / Where Will Dangote Get Crude Oil To Refine In His Lagos Refinery? / Foreign Refineries To Stop Buying Nigeria’s Crude Oil Due To NDA Attacks (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

It Is Very Easy To Refine Crude Oil by Nobody: 4:00pm On Apr 06, 2016
We cannot over-emphasize the facts that Nigeria has a country is wasting her forex importing finished products of raw materials that are excess in the country. From petrol to toothpick, the list is endless. One could but wonder while the country rely so much on importation to the extent of endangering her own economy. Nigeria is among the ten largest crude oil producers in the world yet one of the finish products petrol is not available in the country.

The byproducts of crude oil are numerous:

Fuel: petrol, diesel, kerosene

Petrochemicals: ethene, ethyne, benzene, phenol, etc.

The industries that depend on these petrochemicals are so vast: Fertilizers, solvents, synthetic rubber, synthetic fibres, Aniline dyes, detergents, plastic, paints, drugs etc. All these industries now depend on importation of their raw materials to function because we are not refining crude oil.The extra cost of importation and power raise their production cost, making these industries to import finish product rather than producing locally, thereby laying off their production staff- Job lost.

I took a moment and pondered over the rocket science involved in refining these crude oil, I found out that my grandmother in the village with no educational background can refine crude oil. Crude oil is a mixture and as defined in chemistry; A mixture contains 2 or more constituents which can easily be separated by physical methods. Crude oil is a mixture of different constituents that can easily be separated by Fractional distillation. Don't be intimidated by the name fractional distillation: Fractional distillation is used to separate a mixture containing 2 or more miscible liquids. The main components of refining these crude oil are just a big column called fractional distillation column with different outlets and source of heat (furnace). To separate the petrol, diesel, kerosene etc, just pour in the crude oil in a vertical fractional distillation column and heat under the column, the fractions of this crude oil distill over in ascending order of their boiling points, starting with the fraction with the lowest boiling points.

Have u never wondered why people in creeks have refineries, which the government calls illegal refineries. The answer is because it is easy to refine crude oil. Frustratingly, our government has made it seem like a rocket science. Some seemingly well read unproductive scientist in Nigeria will argue how difficult it is to refine, they will come with flimsy excuses and confusing grammar of additives, anti knock agent blah blah blah but in the end the basic principle of refining crude oil is as easy as separating salt from water.

In a nutshell, the government of Nigeria should wake from their slumber and put hands on deck and easy the pains of Nigerians.

Mobil, Shell, Agip etc, they all have refineries in different places over the world, hence mobil oil, mobil insecticides etc that we import into this country. All this multinationals are under NNPC, meaning NNPC can force them with policies and laws to refine locally some percentage of what they produce. Senate should wake to their responsibilities rather than throwing blows, enact policies and laws that will make these multinationals build refineries here and refine some of their products locally. These will not only alleviate the fuel crisis but also create job opportunities for our teaming youths and take them off the streets. We don't need to be travelling round the world begging for help, what we need to be among the most developed nations in the world is right here with us. we just need to rediscover ourselves and look inward.

Source: http://www.naijarex.com/2016/04/06/its-very-easy-to-refine-crude-oil/

2 Likes

Re: It Is Very Easy To Refine Crude Oil by Adminisher: 4:23pm On Apr 06, 2016
This is one of the MOST STUPID posts I have ever read on Nairaland. I have seen and worked with refineries as consultant in North America and the middle East. Only in brain dead Nigeriana would somebody post this rubbish about what he does not know.
Re: It Is Very Easy To Refine Crude Oil by Nobody: 4:45pm On Apr 06, 2016
Adminisher:
This is one of the MOST STUPID posts I have ever read on Nairaland. I have seen and worked with refineries as consultant in North America and the middle East. Only in brain dead Nigeriana would somebody post this rubbish about what he does not know.

pls dont walk away , tell him what he should know, pls

1 Like

Re: It Is Very Easy To Refine Crude Oil by pacino26(m): 4:47pm On Apr 06, 2016
Adminisher:

That's very harsh bro. I think from experience the 'philosophy' of operating a refinery follows suit from what he posted. Cracking and fractional distillation. The peculiarity usually mentioned in the refining of crude for end products is based on standardization or the quality control spec in line with global practices.

With a modular unit as a case study (which I've studied and proposed for some principals) it is not ROCKET SCIENCE!

1 Like

Re: It Is Very Easy To Refine Crude Oil by Nobody: 4:51pm On Apr 06, 2016
Adminisher:
U may have worked in North America or North sea.. maybe as a roastabout...
If common refining crude oil has now become a rocket science for Nigeria, wen do will now start handling nuclear plant, build maglev or explore space...
calling where u worked as a spinner picker does not matter to..innfact its called falacy (error in argument)
Re: It Is Very Easy To Refine Crude Oil by Nobody: 4:58pm On Apr 06, 2016
wolfslair:

pls dont walk away , tell him what he should know, pls
its part of nigerians dat makes every simple thing dat the whole world does seam a rocket science cos it does not know the first principle of its operation.....
Re: It Is Very Easy To Refine Crude Oil by TruthisGOD: 5:03pm On Apr 06, 2016
Adminisher:
But it's being refined locally and the termed it illegal refinery when it still brings the same product- fuel. What makes u think it can't be refined locally? You work in a refinery and sees bogus equipments without knowing the simple physics behind it, hence it dazes u. What that guy jst posted is the physics behind crude oil refining. Blacks and their i can't do warped mentality. Reason we can't advance technologically. Mtcheew

1 Like

Re: It Is Very Easy To Refine Crude Oil by comos: 5:04pm On Apr 06, 2016
Adminisher:

only you !

estate agent with 25% agreement and commission, now posing as a consultant to oil refining company.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: It Is Very Easy To Refine Crude Oil by 989900: 5:08pm On Apr 06, 2016
Adminisher:
[s]This is one of the MOST STUPID posts I have ever read on Nairaland. I have seen and worked with refineries as consultant in North America and the middle East. Only in brain dead Nigeriana would somebody post this rubbish about what he does not know.[/s]
Re: It Is Very Easy To Refine Crude Oil by SleekMallam: 5:34pm On Apr 06, 2016
Adminisher:
You dey Qatar dey work as laborer come here dey misyarn! enter creek see technology. Even ojukwu during the civil war refined more than enough crude to last Nigeria 30 years.

1 Like

Re: It Is Very Easy To Refine Crude Oil by SleekMallam: 5:40pm On Apr 06, 2016
Where are the boys boys of the creeks? I no say una dey ghost mode on this forum. Make una come drop una wisdom so we go move we con3 forward.
Re: It Is Very Easy To Refine Crude Oil by courage89(m): 6:32pm On Apr 06, 2016
While I agree that it's not impossible to build refinery/ refineries, it requires much more than the poster is projecting. If it is that easy, why is Amakpe refinery struggling to build 6000 BOPD refinery? Why is Oriental refinery struggling to build their refinery, despite all the funding they've raised within the past 12 years?

Building refineries requires proper planning, adequate financial capacity and support from all stakeholders including; government, host communities and all other citizens.
Re: It Is Very Easy To Refine Crude Oil by Nobody: 6:39pm On Apr 06, 2016
courage89:
While I agree that it's not impossible to build refinery/ refineries, it requires much more than the poster is projecting. If it is that easy, why is Amakpe refinery struggling to build 6000 BOPD refinery? Why is Oriental refinery struggling to build their refinery, despite all the funding they've raised within the past 12 years?

Building refineries requires proper planning, adequate financial capacity and support from all stakeholders including; government, host communities and all other citizens.
lol....military regime were able to build refineries. .warri, ph, kaduna....maybe as d year goes by, wot our grandfather built is now becoming more difficult for new generation to build

(1) (Reply)

Niger Deltans Warn Buhari On Tactics / The Fulanis declare a southern caliphate... / Buhari Cert: Court Rubish Delay Tatics, One Year Enough To Produce 'wasc Result

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.