Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,174,492 members, 7,892,031 topics. Date: Wednesday, 17 July 2024 at 03:26 AM

Want Your Film Shown In Nigerian Cinemas?: 45 Questions You Must First Answer! - TV/Movies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Want Your Film Shown In Nigerian Cinemas?: 45 Questions You Must First Answer! (1536 Views)

50 Detective Shows That Were Shown On Nigerian Television In The 1970s And '80s / 70 Comedy Shows That Were Shown On Nigerian Television In The 1970s And '80s. / 50 Cartoons That Were Shown On Nigerian Television In The 1970s And '80s. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Want Your Film Shown In Nigerian Cinemas?: 45 Questions You Must First Answer! by Agstar(f): 5:19pm On Apr 07, 2016
Theatrical Distribution (taking of films to cinemas) in Nigeria is fast becoming the norm, producers/filmmakers have adopted. The success of 30 days in Atlanta in 2014 further created a quantum leaping effect in the number of producers who have sought for their films to be shown in cinemas.

Some have been lucky and had their first/second/third cinematic appearances while some have had to deal with the rejection handed to them by the Distributors they approached. When it comes to Theatrical distribution, there are a few registered Distributors in Nigeria who ply their trade specifically in that terrain as opposed to those who distribute DVDs.

From experience, we’ve pencilled down 40 questions below that Producers/Filmmakers constantly ask prior to securing Distribution deals which they dominantly don’t have the correct answers to:

1) How many Theatrical Distributors do we have in Nigeria and where are they based?

2) Must i go through a Distributor to have my film shown in cinemas? Why can’t I go to individual cinemas and pitch my film to them?

3) How does the Distribution system work?

4) What does it entail to take my film to the cinema?

5) Will the Distributor subject my film to any litmus test before accepting to distribute it?

6) What are the pros and cons of theatrical distribution in Nigeria?

7) How do I pitch my film to the Distributor to warrant having an interest in my film?

cool How do I know the most suitable date for my film to be released?

9) Can I tell the Distributor to move the date of the film’s release if unprecedented events occur?

10) What sort of trailer will appeal to the audience and ideally when should trailering in cinemas commence?

11) Which of the Distributors should I approach and how will I gauge seriousness in wanting to distribute my film?

12) What cost range (budget) should I have in mind when taking my film to the cinemas?

13) Will I have returns on investment if I go for a theatrical release?

14) Is it guaranteed that the Distributor will have my film exhibited Nationwide in all cinemas?

15) What if the Distributor can’t? and at what stage of the process should I be informed by the Distributor about this?

16) Must the final cut of the film be ready before I approach a Distributor?

17) Typically what’s the sharing ratio?

18) When and how do I get paid? What if I’m not based in Nigeria?

19) What format must my film be played in cinemas?

20) I heard it’s dominantly played on DCP, so where can I get DCP services in Nigeria (affordable and top notch quality) without breaking the bank?

21) Can I censor my film directly with NFVCB or must the Distributor do that for me? Ideally when should this be carried out?

22) Do I bear all the cost of publicity/production of materials etc or does the Distributor contribute as well to lessen the financial burden?

23) I’ve heard of GBO, Net of gross, what do they mean?

24) What genre(s) appeals to the audience?

25) Will the Distributor be involved every step of the way from start to finish? or will responsibilities be split between the Distributor and myself?

26) Does the Distributor have any Anti- piracy measures to protect my film?

27) Can my film be shown on other platforms (online/cable etc) while it’s still running in cinemas?

28) When is the ideal time to display all promotional materials in the cinemas foyer?

29) How can the main cast get involved in the film’s push?

30) How effective are freebies during the film’s release?

31) Is it advisable to carry out Regional media tours before/after the film’s release?

32) What if one Distributor rejects my film, can another Distributor take it or are they bound by any rules?

33) What if none takes it, what do I do?

34) Should I first release my film in the UK/USA etc before releasing in Nigeria or vice versa?

35) Can I approach a Distributor even at the developmental stage?

36) Yikes! What happens if I don’t make my money back in cinemas?

37) Any tips for ensuring my film can be viewed by all classes of people?

38) Do the cinemas take all the films presented to them by the Distributor?

39) What influences the time slots allotted by cinemas for my film?

40) What are the best times/peak periods and days to capitalize on to massively increase box office sales?

41) What influences frequency of time slots for a film given by cinemas?

42) Why do cinemas keep on showing some films longer than others?

43) What’s the guaranteed period in which a film can be kept in cinemas?

44) Can a cinema have a re-run of the film after it has ended in cinemas? What’s the sharing ratio at that time?

45) At the end of the day, is it really worth taking my film to the cinemas?

These are just some of the questions (as there are still quite a number) in the Distribution process. Frankly speaking the Distributor has no time to answer candidly all the questions, some answers you get to find out the hard way.

Wouldn’t it be wise to have answers to these questions and all that you seek pertaining to the distribution process in Nigeria prior to your approaching any Distributor or considering going to the cinemas to avoid getting your fingers burnt?.

Let’s allay your fears and answer ALL these questions and others you might have CANDIDLY. Consult with us today, send an email to : wiseinsight36@gmail.com or Call Now : +234908 6317 902

(1) (Reply)

Recommend A TV Series/season Movies As Hot As 24hours. / Spider-man Seen In Abeokuta, Nigeria / Your Name (kimi No Na Wa ): A Journey I Want You All To Take !!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.