Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,192,892 members, 7,949,099 topics. Date: Saturday, 14 September 2024 at 06:26 PM

Why Agriculture Is Not The Solution To Job Creation - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Why Agriculture Is Not The Solution To Job Creation (828 Views)

Why Do Ladies Always Have The Upper Hand When It Comes To Job Employment / Easiest Job Creation Strategies / Open Message To CBN: Solution To The Arising One Chance Bus & ATM Theft. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Agriculture Is Not The Solution To Job Creation by nigerianpride: 7:04am On Apr 09, 2016
The Nigerian economy has been stretched to its limit and this has paved the way for an opinionated society both in the global village and main stream media.

The most comfortable slogan " Let's diversify the economy though agriculture to create jobs" this has been widely used by industry experts, technocrats , entrepreneurs and the media.

The real picture here is : Agriculture will only provide partial Job creation which will not generate the needed advancement of our skilled and intelligent work force.

Here's why:

1. The % of Nigerian in the Job market who seek employment is made up of a huge number of graduates, ( Example is the immigration Job recruitment exercise that went bad ) Majority of these graduates are not ready to carry machines, fertilizers and farming equipment to cultivate crops on red sands . Reason is simple " All graduates has an area of specialization which they have studied in the higher institution" (2) they need immediate solution to their problems and not a sector that is still growing or about to grow.

2. They majority of Nigerian work force that will take to the agric sector or do the menial agric jobs are they low skilled work force and these includes cheap labor and the expertise will definetly be low.
Now imagine an agricultural sector with 10% skilled and 90% unskilled

Conclusion:

I am not trying to dispute the fact that agriculture will create jobs ! But for a sector that is growing , the questions is :

Who are we creating the Jobs for ?
Re: Why Agriculture Is Not The Solution To Job Creation by Pavore9: 7:22am On Apr 09, 2016
OP, l can boldly tell you that your exposure is so limited! Agriculture is way beyond what you grew up seeing! Dangote said over 90% of milk we consume is imported while "small" Kenya produces about 5 billion litres annually! Do you know how many millions of Kenyans the dairy industry alone is providing daily income to? Dangote is setting up a plant in KENYA to process their fresh milk into powdered milk so he can export it to NIGERIA, just imagine what the Kenyan economy is going to gain from that alone!

They exports thousands of 40ft container loads of Avocado annually to other continent.......do the mathematics!

Most of the flowers Nigerians imports from Europe were exported to Europe by Kenya and their flower farms employ over 100,000 Kenyans!

Agriculture today is not where ONLY those who have no opportunity to formal education can fix themselves in because many Masters and Ph.D holders are so deep into Agriculture! So the mentality of "am a graduate" holds no water!

3 Likes

Re: Why Agriculture Is Not The Solution To Job Creation by sammysammy111(m): 7:23am On Apr 09, 2016
i don't see any sense in dis ur post

2 Likes

Re: Why Agriculture Is Not The Solution To Job Creation by nigerianpride: 11:40am On Apr 10, 2016
Your exposure has got limits too! I lived in a society where there source of GDP is agriculture only and I can tell you 90% of university graduates , rather go to dream sectors like energy , banking and finance and medicine. For you to use agriculture to save a stretched economy like Nigeria, you need to first , educate the Job market on the need for them to embrace the agriculuture sector . Since you will rather not state your opinion constructively , I will help you out , this view point never addressed the impact of agriculture on the economy, of course the sector is huge and will increase GDP , I will rephrase my question , how do you provide a Job for a student whose expertise is not related to agriculture ? You keep saying Jobs!! jobs !!

Will you work as a graduate in the agriculture sector ? If you will what is your diploma specialization? And which department do you intend working?

Please analyse the Job market !

Pavore9:
OP, l can boldly tell you that your exposure is so limited! Agriculture is way beyond what you grew up seeing! Dangote said over 90% of milk we consume is imported while "small" Kenya produces about 5 billion litres annually! Do you know how many millions of Kenyans the dairy industry alone is providing daily income to? Dangote is setting up a plant in KENYA to process their fresh milk into powdered milk so he can export it to NIGERIA, just imagine what the Kenyan economy is going to gain from that alone!

They exports thousands of 40ft container loads of Avocado annually to other continent.......do the mathematics!

Most of the flowers Nigerians imports from Europe were exported to Europe by Kenya and their flower farms employ over 100,000 Kenyans!

Agriculture today is not where ONLY those who have no opportunity to formal education can fix themselves in because many Masters and Ph.D holders are so deep into Agriculture! So the mentality of "am a graduate" holds no water!
Re: Why Agriculture Is Not The Solution To Job Creation by nigerianpride: 11:41am On Apr 10, 2016
You obviously have a problem understanding smiley)

sammysammy111:
i don't see any sense in dis ur post

(1) (Reply)

Guinness Reports 83% Drop In Profit As Nigerians Slow Down On Beer Intake / I Need Ur Advice Regarding Bottle Water Production / This Software Will Help Monitor Your Business

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.