Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,168,838 members, 7,872,813 topics. Date: Wednesday, 26 June 2024 at 10:40 PM

Nigerian Boxer Anthony Joshua Wins IBF Heavyweight World Champion(photos) - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Nigerian Boxer Anthony Joshua Wins IBF Heavyweight World Champion(photos) (882 Views)

Anthony Joshua Beats Carlos Takam To Retain Heavyweight Title / Nigerian Boxer, Anthony Joshua Speaks Yoruba And States His Best Food (video) / Anthony Femi Joshua Retains IBF World Heavyweight Title (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian Boxer Anthony Joshua Wins IBF Heavyweight World Champion(photos) by ebosie11(f): 1:57pm On Apr 10, 2016
Anthony Joshua destroyed Charles Martin to be crowned IBF heavyweight champion of the world with a devastating display at London’s O2 Arena Saturday night.

The Nigerian-born British star looked several streets ahead of the American, forcing Belgian referee Jean-Pierre van Imschoot to stop the contest after – just 1min 32 secs into the second – when another straight right to the head sent Martin crashing back to the canvas.

Victory makes Joshua, 26, Britain’s second heavyweight champ, alongside Tyson Fury, who holds the WBA and IBO belts after upsetting Ukrainian Wladimir Klitschko last year.

Joshua turned to the crowd, shrugged at the ease with which he had won, and flashed a smile before turning his thoughts to unifying the division.Speaking to journalists,he said....

“It’s only quarter of the way there, I’m not going to get carried away because there is still a lot of work to be done,” he said.

“David Haye is calling me out, Tyson Fury is calling me out… I just need to go back to the dressing room after only two rounds and do a few more rounds.

“I need to improve but I come to knock people out, I just want to give value for money.

“I told you I was going to come out and punish him.”

There had been concerns that this fight had come too soon for Joshua, who had only had 15 professional bouts prior to this one, but he came good on the night, feeding off the energy of the crowd.

Next up for the new champ is a title defence in July 9, and a possible end-of-year showdown with Fury should he retain his belts against Wladimir Klitshcko.

Source: http://www.trezzyblog.com/2016/04/nigerian-born-british-star-anthony.html

Re: Nigerian Boxer Anthony Joshua Wins IBF Heavyweight World Champion(photos) by Agbalanze(m): 1:59pm On Apr 10, 2016
Nice
Re: Nigerian Boxer Anthony Joshua Wins IBF Heavyweight World Champion(photos) by Mayor21(m): 2:01pm On Apr 10, 2016
He's not Nigerian
Re: Nigerian Boxer Anthony Joshua Wins IBF Heavyweight World Champion(photos) by Nobody: 2:02pm On Apr 10, 2016
He has a hot body. #me_likey
Re: Nigerian Boxer Anthony Joshua Wins IBF Heavyweight World Champion(photos) by Sunofgod(m): 2:03pm On Apr 10, 2016
Correction - British Boxer
Re: Nigerian Boxer Anthony Joshua Wins IBF Heavyweight World Champion(photos) by coolscott(m): 4:51pm On Apr 10, 2016
[size=13pt]I know of two Nigerians in the UK who should have had title shots at folks like Mayweather but for the fact that they do not really have a following in the UK and the promoters (who provide the backing money) don't think they will recoup their investment in terms of ticket sales and T.V viewership in such cases.

This guy got the shot, I am guessing because he grew up in the UK. When he is pitched up against an opponent, his friends all through life will be routing for him.

Folks from all the schools he attended will be routing for him.

Every county he grew or lived in will be pitching for him.

Promoters feel nice about this because they know they will sell enough tickets and have a lot of viewership on TV bringing more income from there.

The point is we have to rally round ANY Nigerian boxer plying his trade in the UK. The Nigerian community has to support and promote. They have numbers.

Is Anthony Joshua's case, he is no more Nigerian. The british crowd even rallied round him because they considered him british.

The official records will not reflect that a Nigerian owns that belt now (just like the official records never reflected that Lenox Lewis' titles where won by a Jamaican even though both his parents were Jamaican).

The British will not even give the argument that he is Nigerian a second glance.

What must we do? The Nigerian community in the UK must create its "Promote Nigerian" arm or coalition in the UK. The Nigerian population in the UK is big. Just officially backing one boxer alone will make that boxer's fights juicy enough to make it difficult for promoters to resist the lure of making those fights happen
[/size]

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Boxer Anthony Joshua Wins IBF Heavyweight World Champion(photos) by TheAziz: 7:40pm On Apr 10, 2016
Mayor21:
He's not Nigerian
he's a Nigerian, make use of Google

(1) (Reply)

football Must Pay Me Season 1 / Euro16(betslip)100naira-31million.(bet9ja) / Do You Know That Nigeria's Golden Generation Is Imminent?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.