Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,190,332 members, 7,940,320 topics. Date: Wednesday, 04 September 2024 at 10:53 PM

Our Security Has Been Compromised. MTN Sold Our SIM Reg Data To Truecaller. - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Our Security Has Been Compromised. MTN Sold Our SIM Reg Data To Truecaller. (1031 Views)

See The Snake Our Security Guards Killed At Night / See The Snake Our Security Guards Killed At Night / MTN Extends Sim Reg Till March [mega Hotspot Plaza At Akerele Road Still Open] (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Our Security Has Been Compromised. MTN Sold Our SIM Reg Data To Truecaller. by dgr8truth(m): 3:00pm On Apr 10, 2016
I came out this discovery after a heated debate of how true caller works and how it is able to identify persons and their numbers. Some persons are of the view that you can match the number of a person to his/her name even though the person has not used truecaller before. I confidently disagree even when they cited examples. I argued that truecaller doesn't work that way and the reason the examples they cited were true is because like most nigerians these persons may have unknowingly registered or used the services of truecaller without knowing the security implications but I was totally wrong when I did a truecaller search. I queried different numbers from the major networks but only MTN numbers returned the registered name of the entered numbers even my MTN line and my dad's own that we have never used with internet enable phones returned our names and even with more conviction that MTN actually sold the sim registration data of Nigerians. The names that matched our numbers were the same names that have typographical errors made by MTN registration agent at the time of sim registration.

The time has come for us to be so conscious about our privacy wherein are embedded our security and safety.

You can confirm this criminal breach of trust when you do a truecaller query, you will be amazed with the result.
Re: Our Security Has Been Compromised. MTN Sold Our SIM Reg Data To Truecaller. by Flexherbal(m): 3:19pm On Apr 10, 2016
If this is true, then MTN did not act right.
Re: Our Security Has Been Compromised. MTN Sold Our SIM Reg Data To Truecaller. by dgr8truth(m): 3:40pm On Apr 10, 2016
Flexherbal:
If this is true, then MTN did not act right.
Try and do a truecaller search and see the result for yourself.
Re: Our Security Has Been Compromised. MTN Sold Our SIM Reg Data To Truecaller. by Nobody: 3:44pm On Apr 10, 2016
Bro,u so right. Naso 1 girl mentioned my full name,when i called her. I was like,what da Bleep.
Re: Our Security Has Been Compromised. MTN Sold Our SIM Reg Data To Truecaller. by dgr8truth(m): 3:50pm On Apr 10, 2016
BlackMaria:
Bro,u so right. Naso 1 girl mentioned my full name,when i called her. I was like,what da Bleep.
Only God knows who else they have sold the data to. We have been severely compromised no thanks to MTN.

We have to call on NCC to look into this issue.
Re: Our Security Has Been Compromised. MTN Sold Our SIM Reg Data To Truecaller. by ifex370(m): 3:57pm On Apr 10, 2016
Not true.. True caller steals contact names stored in your phone.. Also usess info from Facebook twitter and some other social networks

Wen I tried using true caller on my number disppayed "ifeanyi Cee"

Cee is my dept.. So must have been one of my silly classmates
Re: Our Security Has Been Compromised. MTN Sold Our SIM Reg Data To Truecaller. by Nobody: 4:00pm On Apr 10, 2016
dgr8truth:

Only God knows who else they have sold the data to. We have been severely compromised no thanks to MTN.

We have to call on NCC to look into this issue.
I think,i have to get a welcome back sim with a new name.
I believe this information needs to hit the front page.
Seun and em MODs,duty calls.
Re: Our Security Has Been Compromised. MTN Sold Our SIM Reg Data To Truecaller. by dgr8truth(m): 4:18pm On Apr 10, 2016
ifex370:
Not true.. True caller steals contact names stored in your phone.. Also usess info from Facebook twitter and some other social networks

Wen I tried using true caller on my number disppayed "ifeanyi Cee"

Cee is my dept.. So must have been one of my silly classmates
This was my initial believe until I did a search on my number. You can as well try other numbers. I am very sure of what I am saying.
Re: Our Security Has Been Compromised. MTN Sold Our SIM Reg Data To Truecaller. by Olasco93: 4:49pm On Apr 10, 2016
I did a check and i discovered that the numbers that usually display peoples information on Truecaller are usually those OLD numbers that started with 0803, 0806, 0703 and 0706 respectively...
Though, it really may not be MTN, it may just be that they (TRUECALLER) broke into their data base or whatever.
Re: Our Security Has Been Compromised. MTN Sold Our SIM Reg Data To Truecaller. by KamranMamedi: 10:04am On Apr 11, 2016
Hi everyone,

My name is Kamran Mamedi and i am working at Truecaller as the head of the support team.

We do get any details from any carriers in Nigeria. We collect our data through our partnership with different phone directories, social networks and our Truecaller community.

We are currently available in many platforms but we do not share any contents public from Google play built or Appstore (iPhone), we also state that in the Google play descriptions.

In platforms such as Windows phone, Blackberry and other sources except the two i mentioned above, we have a setting named 'Enhanced search', when enabling this you'll share your phone book with us which we also state before accepting the terms of conditions. You can stop sharing your phone book by disabling 'enhanced search' and the uploaded names should no longer be searchable. This can +7 days due to caching processes.

Please let me know if anyone have any additional questions.

Best regards,
Kamran
Re: Our Security Has Been Compromised. MTN Sold Our SIM Reg Data To Truecaller. by warrenweste(m): 1:31pm On May 20, 2016
Alright then

(1) (Reply)

When Bleaching Goes Wrong (photo) / Time To Stop Betting Spammers.... / Remembering The Old Good Days

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.