Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,191,143 members, 7,943,102 topics. Date: Sunday, 08 September 2024 at 05:26 AM

FIRS Hires 5 Directors Secretly - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / FIRS Hires 5 Directors Secretly (1206 Views)

Yusuf Buhari Secretly Acquired Power-Bikes, DSS Operatives Sacked - Daily Post / 5 Directors Sacked, Staff Redeployed At PTAD / Tunde Fowler Of FIRS Recruits 349 New Staff Secretly - Sahara Reporters (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

FIRS Hires 5 Directors Secretly by olatade(m): 7:20am On Apr 11, 2016
The Federal Inland Revenue Service (FIRS) recruited five directors secretly at a time its revenue generation dropped by N2.17 trillion in 2015, investigation has shown.
The directors’ recruitment was not advertised to enable other eligible Nigerians to apply, an act which is in violation of the federal character principles, sources said.

The situation is now raising dust among staff at the revenue agency who are concerned about the consequences of such development.
President Muhammadu Buhari appointed Tunde Fowler as acting executive chairman of the FIRS in August 20, 2015.
Three of the new directors hail from the south-west region, the same zone as Fowler, the FIRS boss. The other two are from the north-central and north-east, while the north-west, south-east and south-south have none.
Sources within the agency told Daily Trust that there were plans to recruit about 200 more staff even though no advertisement has been made.
The newly appointed directors are: Sola Akingbade (Ekiti), Jimoh I.T.T (Osun), Bimpe Badmus (Lagos), Salihu Baba Alkali (Gombe) and Andrew Ayabam (Benue).
An official document seen by Daily Trust shows that the new directors were appointed as state coordinators thus: Akingbade (Kwara, Ekiti and Ondo), Jimoh (Lagos East, Lagos CGT and stamp duty), Alkali (FCT, Kogi and Nasarawa), Ayabam (Benue, Kaduna and Niger) while Badmus was assigned the special duty portfolio which covers financial, oil and gas, multinational and telecommunication.
“Presently hundreds of resumes have been collected from some selected individuals though their vacancies were never advertised,” another source said.
Also, the new FIRS chief had redeployed 13 deputy directors to non-existing training schools last month.
The deputy directors were hitherto heading zonal and regional offices of the FIRS across the country but “they are now made redundant,” a source said.
The source said “These training schools were just created on paper. These directors are experienced but they are now reduced to bench warmers in the FIRS headquarters.”
We’re not aware – Character commission
The Federal Character Commission (FCC) said it was investigating the secret recruitment in FIRS.
The acting executive chairman of FCC, Shettima Bukar-Abba said “I am investigating FIRS. I have never seen anything from FIRS since I came in two months ago. But I also learnt they are recruiting.”
He said the revenue agency was summoned by the National Assembly because of the same “complaints from the people.”
“I am just trying to put in place a committee so that they will carry out the investigation. Once we find out what is happening, we will let you know,” Bukar-Abba told Daily Trust.
We only hired 10 staff – FIRS
But the FIRS spokesperson Wahab Gbadamosi said Fowler recruited the directors to assist in the realisation of FIRS’ 2016 target of N4.9 trillion.
Gbadamosi said in an emailed response that “the FIRS has not undertaken any recruitment into the service as alleged. Rather, the FIRS executive chairman head hunted about 10 staff - most of whom are contract staff - to assist the service in the realisation of FIRS’ 2016 target of N4.9 trillion.”
He said that FIRS “will follow requisite rules and procedures in recruiting staff into its workforce.”
On redeployment, the FIRS spokesperson said “the posting of experienced directors to FIRS training centres is part of FIRS’ capacity building programme, designed to improve the output of its staff nationwide.”
N2.17tr drop in revenue
Analysis of official data obtained from FIRS website shows that the agency generated N4.72 trillion from taxes for the Federal Government in 2014. But the revenue dropped to N2.54 trillion in 2015.
A quarterly analysis of the data shows that the revenue generation dropped by N2.17 trillion.
The biggest drop occurred in the third quarter which was when Fowler resumed at the FIRS.
The data shows that in 2014, N1.06 trillion was generated in the first quarter, N1.46 trillion for the second quarter, N1.19 trillion for the third quarter and N1.00 trillion for the last quarter.
But the figures slipped in 2015, where the agency generated N756.7 billion for the first quarter, N746.7 billion for the second quarter, N250.2 billion for the third quarter, and N790.7billion for the fourth quarter.
It may get worse in 2016 – Experts
Former president of Chartered Institute of Taxation of Nigeria (CITN), Mark Anthony Dike blamed the economy for the drop in revenue. “Things have been harsh and many businesses are retrenching staff. Some businesses have also shut down or scaled down their operations and lay off some staff.
“This suggests the figures for 2015 would be worst because the economy wasn’t stimulated by investments and the commercial activities were low.
“Last year’s tax payment was a function of 2014 operational results and the tax for 2014 is a function of 2013 operational results.
“There is no doubt that the returns this year wouldn’t be as cheering because of the lull in economic activities,” the tax consultant said.
Moses Azege, a financial analyst based in Abuja said primarily, there was leadership uncertainty at the revenue agency for most of 2015 and that can affect revenue collection.
“Concurrently, oil started nose diving, exacerbating an already battered business year,” he said.
Gbadamosi refused to comment on the drop on the revenue generated by the FIRS.

http://www.dailytrust.com.ng/news/general/firs-hires-5-directors-secretly/141924.html
Re: FIRS Hires 5 Directors Secretly by Ekakamba: 7:28am On Apr 11, 2016
*Nigeria jaga jaga
everything scatter scatter
poor man dey suffer suffer....
Gbosa Gbosa!
Co-ck & shoot in the air*
Re: FIRS Hires 5 Directors Secretly by socialmediaman: 7:33am On Apr 11, 2016
It may get worse in 2016 – Experts
Former president of Chartered Institute of Taxation of Nigeria (CITN), Mark Anthony Dike blamed the economy for the drop in revenue. “Things have been harsh and many businesses are retrenching staff. Some businesses have also shut down or scaled down their operations and lay off some staff.
“This suggests the figures for 2015 would be worst because the economy wasn’t stimulated by investments and the commercial activities were low

I'd say I'm not impressed by some FG policies regarding the currency. I think they have to devalue the currency and let market forces determine price and allow foreign exchange inflow into the country, businesses cannot invest with this sort of tight economic policies. I may be wrong though, but I'm yet to see the impact of this foreign exchange policy of FG on the growth of the economy.
Re: FIRS Hires 5 Directors Secretly by youngeagle(m): 7:41am On Apr 11, 2016
They can do all SH*t they want...nothing will change the fact this is a failed administration.

1 Like

Re: FIRS Hires 5 Directors Secretly by seunmsg(m): 7:44am On Apr 11, 2016
PMB should do something about all these illegal recruitment. Working in federal government agencies should not be the exclusive preserve of those connected to politicians. If police, army and navy recruitment can be thrown open for all qualified Nigerians to apply, same procedures should be applied to high paying agencies like CBN, FIRS, NNPC and DPR.

1 Like

Re: FIRS Hires 5 Directors Secretly by Luckylife(m): 7:47am On Apr 11, 2016
Zombies is this the type of government you voted in ?

1 Like

Re: FIRS Hires 5 Directors Secretly by orisa37: 9:28am On Apr 11, 2016
Another illegal appointments without due process. This is a cover up to water down the effect of the two previous ones. The three, that is, the CBN, the Police and this FIRS should be discarded, readvertised and follow due process. Otherwise, I suggest that Justice(my personal description) Femi Falana should add this issue to his list of litigations against the F.G.
Re: FIRS Hires 5 Directors Secretly by omenka(m): 9:43am On Apr 11, 2016
socialmediaman:

I'd say I'm not impressed by some FG policies regarding the currency. I think they have to devalue the currency and let market forces determine price and allow foreign exchange inflow into the country, businesses cannot invest with this sort of tight economic policies. I may be wrong though, but I'm yet to see the impact of this foreign exchange policy of FG on the growth of the economy.
Question you should ask is when has devaluation of local currency ever helped a "third world" economy such as ours??

1 Like

Re: FIRS Hires 5 Directors Secretly by NaMe4: 9:48am On Apr 11, 2016
But these illegal recruitment are corrupt practices. Aren't they?
Re: FIRS Hires 5 Directors Secretly by alakara(m): 10:22am On Apr 11, 2016
NaMe4:
But these illegal recruitment are corrupt practices. Aren't they?
Question Tag
Wailers : yes,they are.
Zombies : no, they aren‘t.
Re: FIRS Hires 5 Directors Secretly by socialmediaman: 2:23pm On Apr 11, 2016
omenka:
Question you should ask is when has devaluation of local currency ever helped a "third world" economy such as ours??

If the FG actually plans to hold its grip on the currency, then it should abolish the dual exchange rate system and make the currency available at commercial banks at the official rate... This tight grip is encouraging huge corruption by banks and privileged businessmen who have access to the USD.
Re: FIRS Hires 5 Directors Secretly by drss1(m): 2:32pm On Apr 11, 2016
d era of doing secret tins through d window has come to stay. dividents of buari dullard APC govt.
Re: FIRS Hires 5 Directors Secretly by omenka(m): 2:39pm On Apr 11, 2016
socialmediaman:

If the FG actually plans to hold its grip on the currency, then it should abolish the dual exchange rate system and make the currency available at commercial banks at the official rate... This tight grip is encouraging huge corruption by banks and privileged businessmen who have access to the USD.
And if they make it readily available, the economy could buckle in a matter of days as we don't have sufficient reserve to accommodate the demands for imports.

I don't know if you've come across that chart that shows the various oil economies taking a hit from the price fall and how long their reserves could sustain them if they decide to hold in place their "pre-fall" fiscal policies.

Saudi had 7years or there about, Nigeria had less than one month I think.

What we have right now is a case of choosing the lesser evil.
Re: FIRS Hires 5 Directors Secretly by Agwoden(m): 2:55pm On Apr 11, 2016
Again?
Re: FIRS Hires 5 Directors Secretly by socialmediaman: 2:57pm On Apr 11, 2016
omenka:
And if they make it readily available, the economy could buckle in a matter of days as we don't have sufficient reserve to accommodate the demands for imports.

I don't know if you've come across that chart that shows the various oil economies taking a hit from the price fall and how long their reserves could sustain them if they decide to hold in place their "pre-fall" fiscal policies.

Saudi had 7years or there about, Nigeria had less than one month I think.

What we have right now is a case of choosing the lesser evil.

If you ask me, imports are not an entirely bad thing for an economy, we have what we can export too, all we have to do is invest in them and develop them. Lots of US factories have gone to China, but at the same time lots of retail outlets for these Chinese made products are springing up, they pay taxes too so government didn't entirely lose out. Our government has to make taxes a priority in this country. They have to start reforming the law enforcement and build technology to improve security and boost investor confidence. Our postal system needs to work (zip codes), our social security, justice and health insurance systems need to be reformed, our economy needs rebuilding and much of it are policy formulation and direction... That's what we hope the government will focus on while government also works on infrastructure etc...
Re: FIRS Hires 5 Directors Secretly by Ebukaobi: 3:13pm On Apr 11, 2016
The government is free to hire any professional they deem qualified and appropriate for the job

IPOB wailers are just nuisances

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Cartoon Of The Day / Nairalanders If You Receive This Alert From Your Bank What Will Be Your Reaction / Emmanuel Ifeajuna: Commonwealth Games Gold To Facing A Firing Squad

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.