Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,189,398 members, 7,937,205 topics. Date: Sunday, 01 September 2024 at 05:11 PM

How To Know A Nigerian - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / How To Know A Nigerian (684 Views)

Did You Know A Nigerian Man Played A Major Role In A 1979 Hollywood Movie? / 3 Ways To Know A Poorly Planned Event / How To Know A "Chinko" (made In China) Product (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Know A Nigerian by mrprezident007(m): 4:04pm On Apr 20, 2016
I know most of us wish we were born in another country like Chad,Somalia or USA. But here we are under the blazing sun of Nigeria. So how do you diagonize a Nigerian?

We talk loud.
Yes!! Whether on phone or face to face we just can’t lower our voices. Even when we whisper, someone sitting 3 rows behind will hear us. I recently met a babe on Palmchat who can't stop chatting and sending voice note, well, It is not our fault we are Nigerians.

We have our time.
Some countries like USA have different time zones. But in Nigeria we have “Nigerian time”. This means that we arrive at any event 2 hours behind schedule!! Ever gone to a Nigerian club by 10pm? You will help the club arrange chairs. Our religious organizations are not left out, I once went for a program slated to start by 12noon, I got there 12:30 and the ushers told me the Pastor that invited me is yet to arrive!!! Just see Nigerian time as GMT +3.

Eye Service.
This is actually in our blood! I remember when I served, the organization I worked with were expecting the State Governor on a Monday, mind you they had not been paid for 3 months! When Monday came they all came to work with their best dresses, the Engineer was even wearing a helmet on a native attire on a Monday! one of them even asked while I was not wearing my 7/7. (NOTE: I served when corpers were not owed Allowee unlike this Buhari time.) I explained that I wear it only on CDs days. They cheered and danced and still their salaries were not paid.

We love to partyyyyyyy.
Although there is a particular tribe well known for this, however, it is a Nigerian thing. We can turn anything into a party. I once went for a funeral of a relative and after the burial the DJ started playing Ashawo by Flavour, before I could say Bia, I was already on the dance floor (let the dead bury themselves right?).
There was a story of a man who bought Keke (read tricycle) and he killed a ram to “wash” the Tricycle. Ever heard of “we go wash am?”. Lol.

We can be friendly (nosy).
It is only in Nigeria that 4 months after wedding people will be telling the couple “we are getting ready for child dedication ooo”. They don’t want to know if the couple have decided to postpone child bearing for now. We can also greet/ask some “reasonable” questions. You are coming back from work and your neighbour will ask “are you back from work?”. Make sure you reply yes, so they don’t take offence.
That is why it is difficult to do an invitation only event, because everybody is related!!

These are my top 5 Nigerian traits, feel free to add yours. ‪#‎NGpolitico

Re: How To Know A Nigerian by Nobody: 4:23pm On Apr 20, 2016
I think these are all true, only my observations with my nigerian friends whenever I bounce with them...

Like if we go to the club, we go there @3 or 4am coz they say that African clubs in kuala lumpur doesn't open until 3am grin

They are very friendly and warm ppol indeed grin

And yes, they are very loud when they talk to each other, i really though they're fighting... tongue
Re: How To Know A Nigerian by Nobody: 4:25pm On Apr 20, 2016
Şo wrong!
Re: How To Know A Nigerian by mrprezident007(m): 4:25pm On Apr 20, 2016
Lol. I can see you already know those characteristics.
KashyBaby:
I think these are all true, only my observations with my nigerian friends whenever I bounce with them...

Like if we go to the club, we go there @3 or 4am coz they say that African clubs in kuala lumpur doesn't open until 3am grin

They are very friendly and warm ppol indeed grin

And yes, they are very loud when they talk to each other, i really though they're fighting... tongue
Re: How To Know A Nigerian by Nobody: 4:31pm On Apr 20, 2016
mrprezident007:
Lol. I can see you already know those characteristics.

Exactly...I, personally can say that Nigerians and Filipinos have similar traits.. grin grin grin
Re: How To Know A Nigerian by Nobody: 4:40pm On Apr 20, 2016
Dont tell me, u also have those traits
KashyBaby:

Exactly...I, personally can say that Nigerians and Filipinos have similar traits.. grin grin grin
Re: How To Know A Nigerian by Nobody: 4:43pm On Apr 20, 2016
Oma307:
Dont tell me, u also have those traits

Lol... im.50- 50 guilty tongue
Re: How To Know A Nigerian by Nobody: 4:51pm On Apr 20, 2016
Hmmm
KashyBaby:

Lol... im.50- 50 guilty tongue
Re: How To Know A Nigerian by mrprezident007(m): 5:08pm On Apr 20, 2016
Filipino-Nigerian.
Oma307:
Hmmm
Re: How To Know A Nigerian by Oyindebrah(f): 5:22pm On Apr 20, 2016
Lol...funny Nigerians
I live Nigeria tho
Re: How To Know A Nigerian by Nobody: 5:27pm On Apr 20, 2016
Tell me something that i dont understand
mrprezident007:
Filipino-Nigerian.
Re: How To Know A Nigerian by olamixx(m): 11:35pm On Apr 20, 2016
trash

(1) (Reply)

Moderators Please Come To My Rescue / 17 Ways To Spot People With Bad Luck / congratulations on your achievement

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.