Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,190,109 members, 7,939,479 topics. Date: Wednesday, 04 September 2024 at 06:40 AM

Learn The Law: Stealing Is Not Corruption - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Learn The Law: Stealing Is Not Corruption (487 Views)

Sliding: The Latest Trend In Stealing Is On The Rise. / Anini The Law- Full Story Of The Notorious Thief / How Nigeria’s SSS Is Violating The Law And Illegally Parading Itself As DSS (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Learn The Law: Stealing Is Not Corruption by Controversialad: 11:54am On Apr 21, 2016
By Barr. Emeka Ugwuonye

There is one thing we really did not expect you to do, just because it would be foolish to do it. You are not expected to argue medicine with a medical doctor when you are not even a nurse. You are not expected to argue law with a lawyer when you lack even the basic training in the law.
Here, with 25 years in the law, I think I am in a position to explain to you the difference between stealing and corruption, especially if you are not a lawyer. Of course, you are not expected to be silent and take whatever I give you. But maybe you should ask questions, rather than try to teach a lawyer the meaning of any particular aspect of the law.

Again, I take the opportunity share with you the differences in the meanings of the terms "Stealing" and "Corruption". If you are not trained in law, you may learn if you are wise. But also, you may teach me the law, I mean, your law.

LEGAL DEFINITION OF STEALING:
The act of taking something away from a lawful owner without that owner's consent and with the taker having no legal right or justification for taking the thing.
In the history of the common law, the act of stealing was first known as larceny and robbery.
Gradually, the term was replaced, in most jurisdictions, by the term theft or, more rarely, the term 'stealing'.

The 1816 edition of the law dictionary which has the stellar name of A Compendious and Comprehensive Law Dictionary Elucidating The Terms and General Principles of Law and Equity defines stealing in a circular fashion as follows:
"In the fraudulent taking away of another man's goods, with an intent to steal them, against or without the will of him whose goods they are."

LEGAL DEFINITION OF CORRUPTION:
CORRUPTION. An act done with an intent to give some advantage inconsistent with official duty and the rights of others. It includes bribery, but is more comprehensive; because an act may be corruptly done, though the advantage to be derived from it be not offered by another.

What is CORRUPTION?
Illegality; a vicious and fraudulent intention to evade the prohibitions of the law. The act of an official or fiduciary person who unlawfully and wrongfully uses his station or character to procure some benefit for himself or for another person, contrary to duty and the rights of others. U. S. v. Johnson (C. C.) 20 Fed. 082; State v. Ragsdale. 59 Mo. App. 003; Wight v. Rindskopf, 43 Wis. 351; Worsham v. Murchison, 00 Ga. 719; U. S. v. Edwards (C. C.) 43 Fed. 07.

Law Dictionary: What is CORRUPTION? definition of CORRUPTION (Black's Law Dictionary)
In their 1910 law dictionary, authors Shumaker and Longsdorf described corruption as:
"... an act done with intent to give some advantage inconsistent with official duty and the rights of others. It includes bribery but is more comprehensive because an act may be corruptly done, though the advantage to be derived from it may be offered by another."
In her 2011 article on corruption published in the Canadian law journal, The Advocate, Karen Katz writes;
"Corruption is understood to be the exploitation of... http://www.controversialada.com/2016/04/learn-law-stealing-is-not-corruption.html

Learn and be Learned shocked shocked shocked

(1) (Reply)

Photo: Lagos Police Arrest Danfo Driver Who Specializes In Stealing Bridge Rails / Food Meant For Refugees In IDP Camps Now Being Sold In Maiduguri (photos) / Group Condemn Killings Of Security Operatives By Militants

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.