Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,140 members, 7,949,929 topics. Date: Sunday, 15 September 2024 at 11:45 PM

Should Genotype Decide Your Marriage??? - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Should Genotype Decide Your Marriage??? (2022 Views)

"Genotype Issues Have Cost Me Another Relationship" - Nigerian Lady Cries Out / Decide Your Fate With This Picture, You Can Only Chose One. / My Fiance Just Left Me Due To Genotype Issues (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Should Genotype Decide Your Marriage??? by Buchi001: 4:51pm On Apr 21, 2016
A few days back, I was hanging out with a friend and she brought up the story of Chidi and Ada (not real names) who just got engaged after dating for seven years but are about to break up. Their reason is simple, they just found out they’re both of AS genotype and this discovery came just one week after Chidi and his family went for formal introductions at Ada’s family home.

The pressure is on from family and friends and as at today, the love, trust, dreams and hopes; shared and cherished for the last seven years are about to be thrown away on the altar of genotype and I just can’t help but wonder if it’s really worth it.

Chidi and Ada’s story is not new; we all know someone or some people who have suffered such fate. My friend Kachi who brought up the story believes the best option for the intending couple is to go their separate ways and find new love with time, but I humbly choose to disagree.

My reason is this; advancements in medical sciences and technology have given millions of people options to have children of any genotype and sex and at any age. It is these advancements that are today making it possible for HIV positive parents to have and raise HIV negative children, the same advancements are giving women who hitherto were declared barren the opportunity to bear children of every size and those same options are available and applicable to couples with genotype issues.

Why many Nigerians faced with the AS/AS genotype challenge are not taking these options today is what worries me and all the reasons accountable for this are essentially stereotypes.

A popular stereotype is that children born through In-Vitro fertilization (IVF) popularly known as “test-tube babies” in Nigeria are not real or original children. People who still think this way should please check the story of Miss. Hannatu Kupchi, one of the first test tube babies in Nigeria born at Nisa Premier Hospital in Abuja on February 11, 1998.

This beautifully grown woman (whose pictures appear below) is now a first year medical student at a Hungarian University. Can a human being be more real/original than this?

Another stereotype is that IVF is against God’s will (their pastor or Imam said so). First and foremost, is not God that gave researchers and scientists the knowledge, insight and perseverance to develop these medical solutions? When these children born through IVF pray to God does He not answer them? When God showers his blessings on us does He deny them any? Is IVF really against God’s will or against the will of your self-righteous religious leader who also uses contraceptives developed by scientists for family planning?

These same perceptions preventing Nigerians from embracing relevant options in addressing genotype issues, promotes the mentality that still prevents many Nigerian woman from accepting caesarean operation at child birth, it’s the same mentality that drives Nigerians to prayer houses instead of hospitals when they are sick. Ironically, the pastors and prayer warriors they run to for healing, sprint to the nearest clinics for their own healing when they have just Malaria.

We have to change our perceptions about AS genotype and how much impact it should have in our marital decisions. There are new available options today for every Nigerian to handle these challenges.

Ada and Chidi and so many others like them today are considering throwing away years of love and friendship because of their God given genes when they don’t have to.

The truth is, if Chidi or Ada were hypertensive, diabetic, had cancer, or was a carrier for other inheritable genetic conditions with serious implications e.g. Down’s Syndrome, epilepsy, etc; there wouldn’t be any pressure to abandon the relationship, rather there would be compassion and understanding from both family and friends, positive suggestions and opinions would be offered and in the end, available medical (or even spiritual) solutions will be sought and accepted.

It is the same mindset that we must activate while handling AS and AS nuptial issues. In my humble opinion break-up is no longer a choice or solution for two AS genotype lovers. IVF many be expensive today but it works. Its only as expensive as that car or vacation you wish to pay for, but in all, the love shared between both of you and the possibility of having wonderful genetically-safe children will always worth more.

Moreover, genotype compatibility is not a guarantee for a happy marriage. Imagine some day in future when your son or daughter introduces the person they wish to marry and it’s a human born through In-Vitro Fertilization (IVF), at that moment you'll realize what options you should have taken, or be glad that it was all worth it.

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you did not do than by the ones you did do – Mark Twain.

Are you faced with this genotype challenge today or do you know someone who is? Do you think the relationship is worth keeping given the available options or would you rather abandon the relationship?

Please let us know, your comments and contributions are most welcome below ......
http://www.mybeautifulnigeria.com/should-genotype-decide-your-marriage/

Re: Should Genotype Decide Your Marriage??? by vizkiz: 4:55pm On Apr 21, 2016
Genotype determines who you should marry!!!! Please let's stop the Spread of sickle cell patients... By the way those pictures you uploaded are unnecessary undecided

5 Likes

Re: Should Genotype Decide Your Marriage??? by obiorathesubtle: 4:57pm On Apr 21, 2016
I have nothing to say..

Soooo.. What about the pics?? Is she a sickle cell patient?

1 Like

Re: Should Genotype Decide Your Marriage??? by cruzita(f): 4:58pm On Apr 21, 2016
its painful !!!but what can we do?nobody wants to bring children to suffer in this world .no matter how hard it is ,we have to let go

1 Like

Re: Should Genotype Decide Your Marriage??? by Welber(f): 5:01pm On Apr 21, 2016
Yes! It should

We need to eradicate sickle cell from Nigeria and Africa at large
And that begins with you and me!

1 Like

Re: Should Genotype Decide Your Marriage??? by reservd(m): 5:06pm On Apr 21, 2016
How expensive are these procedures u talkin abt, is it wat an average family can afford? 25% chance of having an ss child on evry normal pregnancy. D guilt, pain, stress etc of havin 1 dey say is enuf to kill dt love, care, affectn dt u dnt wanna lose.its nt a situatn u wanna find ursef trust mi

1 Like

Re: Should Genotype Decide Your Marriage??? by Nobody: 5:14pm On Apr 21, 2016
Yes it should!
Cos By the time sickle cell children start appearing Love will dissappear tru d window!

1 Like

Re: Should Genotype Decide Your Marriage??? by AngryNigerian(m): 5:18pm On Apr 21, 2016
U dnt kno wat u r talkn about! You want them to carry out "zygoticide" or what? Which procedure r u talking about if not the one they'l fertilize embryos and test them for their status, then either implant or do the 'test-tube' method?

They are all evil!!!

1 Like

Re: Should Genotype Decide Your Marriage??? by donbenedict(m): 5:39pm On Apr 21, 2016
First tin tomoro morning I am going to the hospital to do my genotype test!

1 Like

Re: Should Genotype Decide Your Marriage??? by thorpido(m): 5:40pm On Apr 21, 2016
It's better they go their separate ways.It's really tough raising children with sickle-cells.People should be aware of their genotypes and should know your partner's own too within a short time of dating.Why should you date someone for 7years and not know the person's genotype?What do you do together.?just sex?

The technological procedures you talk about are expensive.How many can afford it?Aborting fetuses also has a moral question hanging on it.

2 Likes

Re: Should Genotype Decide Your Marriage??? by babs01(m): 5:49pm On Apr 21, 2016
How many tym una go discuss dis on NL

1 Like

Re: Should Genotype Decide Your Marriage??? by thorpido(m): 5:56pm On Apr 21, 2016
donbenedict:
First tin tomoro morning I am going to the hospital to do my genotype test!
Yes o.Every adult male or female should know his or her genotype.
Re: Should Genotype Decide Your Marriage??? by thorpido(m): 6:01pm On Apr 21, 2016
babs01:
How many tym una go discuss dis on NL
For as long as possible.People are still getting married without knowing their genotypes and are still having babies with sickle cells.
It is continuous education.
Re: Should Genotype Decide Your Marriage??? by Nobody: 6:16pm On Apr 21, 2016
Lol.. So there r some humans who dont know their genotype. Smh
Re: Should Genotype Decide Your Marriage??? by donbenedict(m): 6:21pm On Apr 21, 2016
Festivalofholi:
Lol.. So there r some humans who dont know their genotype. Smh
please don't reason like that... if everyone knew their genotype, then there would be no need for the media to be preaching constantly abt genotype before marriage. The reason why i'm yet to know mine is not because I dnt have 1200 naira to do it, i'v not just had the zeal to walk up to a hospital to ask for my genotype result.

Buh that not withstanding, I pray by God's grace tomoro i'll walk up to a nearby hospital to do the test.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Should Genotype Decide Your Marriage??? by Buchi001: 6:26pm On Apr 21, 2016
I decided to post the whole article so we could all expand the context of our discussion, every opinion is very welcome[size=8pt][/size][color=#000099][/color]

A few days back, I was hanging out with a friend and she brought up the story of Chidi and Ada (not real names) who just got engaged after dating for seven years but are about to break up. Their reason is simple, they just found out they’re both of AS genotype and this discovery came just one week after Chidi and his family went for formal introductions at Ada’s family home.

The pressure is on from family and friends and as at today, the love, trust, dreams and hopes; shared and cherished for the last seven years are about to be thrown away on the altar of genotype and I just can’t help but wonder if it’s really worth it.

Chidi and Ada’s story is not new; we all know someone or some people who have suffered such fate. My friend Kachi who brought up the story believes the best option for the intending couple is to go their separate ways and find new love with time, but I humbly choose to disagree.

My reason is this; advancements in medical sciences and technology have given millions of people options to have children of any genotype and sex and at any age. It is these advancements that are today making it possible for HIV positive parents to have and raise HIV negative children, the same advancements are giving women who hitherto were declared barren the opportunity to bear children of every size and those same options are available and applicable to couples with genotype issues.

Why many Nigerians faced with the AS/AS genotype challenge are not taking these options today is what worries me and all the reasons accountable for this are essentially stereotypes.

A popular stereotype is that children born through In-Vitro fertilization (IVF) popularly known as “test-tube babies” in Nigeria are not real or original children. People who still think this way should please check the story of Miss. Hannatu Kupchi, one of the first test tube babies in Nigeria born at Nisa Premier Hospital in Abuja on February 11, 1998.

This beautifully grown woman is now a first year medical student at a Hungarian University. Can a human being be more real/original than this?

Another stereotype is that IVF is against God’s will (their pastor or Imam said so). First and foremost, is not God that gave researchers and scientists the knowledge, insight and perseverance to develop these medical solutions? When these children born through IVF pray to God does He not answer them? When God showers his blessings on us does He deny them any? Is IVF really against God’s will or against the will of your self-righteous religious leader who also uses contraceptives developed by scientists for family planning?

These same perceptions preventing Nigerians from embracing relevant options in addressing genotype issues, promotes the mentality that still prevents many Nigerian woman from accepting caesarean operation at child birth, it’s the same mentality that drives Nigerians to prayer houses instead of hospitals when they are sick. Ironically, the pastors and prayer warriors they run to for healing, sprint to the nearest clinics for their own healing when they have just Malaria.

We have to change our perceptions about AS genotype and how much impact it should have in our marital decisions. There are new available options today for every Nigerian to handle these challenges.

Ada and Chidi and so many others like them today are considering throwing away years of love and friendship because of their God given genes when they don’t have to.

The truth is, if Chidi or Ada were hypertensive, diabetic, had cancer, or was a carrier for other inheritable genetic conditions with serious implications e.g. Down’s Syndrome, epilepsy, etc; there wouldn’t be any pressure to abandon the relationship, rather there would be compassion and understanding from both family and friends, positive suggestions and opinions would be offered and in the end, available medical (or even spiritual) solutions will be sought and accepted.

It is the same mindset that we must activate while handling AS and AS nuptial issues. In my humble opinion break-up is no longer a choice or solution for two AS genotype lovers. IVF many be expensive today but it works. Its only as expensive as that car or vacation you wish to pay for, but in all, the love shared between both of you and the possibility of having wonderful genetically-safe children will always worth more.

Moreover, genotype compatibility is not a guarantee for a happy marriage. Imagine some day in future when your son or daughter introduces the person they wish to marry and it’s a human born through In-Vitro Fertilization (IVF), at that moment you'll realize what options you should have taken, or be glad that it was all worth it.

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you did not do than by the ones you did do – Mark Twain.

Are you faced with this genotype challenge today or do you know someone who is? Do you think the relationship is worth keeping given the available options or would you rather abandon the relationship?
Re: Should Genotype Decide Your Marriage??? by torqque7(m): 7:47pm On Apr 21, 2016
It is not about tech advancement.. It is about the availability of such advanced medical procedures to the average Nigerian and the cost too,the stress alone is another issue,every time the woman gets pregnant and the pregnancy gets to like 4months she will now go and find out the genotype of the baby?and if its SS then she starts thinking of abortion?how many times can she go through all that?my dear it is not as easy as you make it sound,the mother can die too in the process,too much at stake.

1 Like

Re: Should Genotype Decide Your Marriage??? by theshaderoom: 3:34am On Apr 23, 2016
this OP is very very very funny! You have not seen the pain and suffering that is why u have the nerve to talk about love...those procedures you mentioned were propagated in order to help people who are already in the situation...it is not an encouragement to be reckless. I lost my cousin and aunty to sickle cell condition so i know first hand that its not pretty. There is no love when you are trying to save a child evryday of their life. That husband that loves you so much will abandone you and let you carry the cross alone, that child will be in pains everyday, you will be exhausted, guilt ridden and full of regrets.

My friends aunty fell into this same nonesense u are talking about, her family told her to leave the man after it was discovered that they are both AS, she refused and married him...the first child is ss and the husband has abandoned her to bear the brunt. When they cam to visit my friends mum and i was staying there, this little girl cried the whole night becos she was in pains, her mum couldnt sleep, said that is how it always is...where is the love now? OP abeg no make me vex o

If you even see the blood tonic my aunty used to drink before she died, you go fear...blood tonic dey smell like blood, pains every night till she died.

OP i don dey vex for u abeg make i stop

2 Likes

Re: Should Genotype Decide Your Marriage??? by ednut1(m): 5:14am On Apr 23, 2016
bad idea abeg
Re: Should Genotype Decide Your Marriage??? by Nobody: 5:50am On Apr 23, 2016
ednut1:
d op needs to be lynched. ode buruku. do u knw how much ivf costs or was IVF created for as/as wahala. u be mumu o

Why cant you disagree without resorting to insults. Haba angry
Re: Should Genotype Decide Your Marriage??? by Nobody: 5:52am On Apr 23, 2016
Buchi001:

This beautifully grown woman (whose pictures appear below) is now a first year medical student at a Hungarian University. Can a human being be more real/original than this?

Please let us know, your comments and contributions are most welcome below ......
http://www.mybeautifulnigeria.com/should-genotype-decide-your-marriage/

Thank you for these insights. Informative piece

1 Like

Re: Should Genotype Decide Your Marriage??? by Nobody: 6:18am On Apr 23, 2016
Bro! You are a gem, people like you should appear all over Nigeria fast, else we will be living in dark ages till 22nd century.

You have pinpointed exactly the reason we are still living in dark ages today. We black people run from problems , white people on the other hand confront it head on, even if it takes their life, it makes it even more fun. Nigeria has the highest cases of AS genotype in the world, yet United States which has just 100,000 cases of sickle cell invest billions every year and research day and night to find a cure, now they have found different ways to cure / prevent, and manage sickle cell, but blacks can't even tap into the solution which they have already provided for us.

I cry for black race, yea you will notice how some idiots will come for my head for not screaming in a loud voice that black is the best . Well, only a fool will keep telling himself how he's the best, when in reality he is lagging behind in all ramifications of life.

Op. Pls let them be, funny thing is that I know a guy who left his lovely soulmate because of AS issue, guess what? His new wife gave birth to their first kid who's a Down syndrome, from there he finally realized he needs to love a child whether healthy or not.

To add to your observation, did you notice that the same people who frown at medicine to solve their sickle cell issue will also go to medicine to find out what their genotype is? What a race . They keep screaming how they want to eradicate sickle, as if the condition is an animal that needs to be extinct, mutation don't become extinct, they are treated/ cured.

In western nations after sickle cell trait screening , couples will be advised on how to take care of the new born child even before birth, you hardly hear councilors telling couples in love to break up due to sickle cell, all you get is love, and encouragement . Come to Nigeria, the nurses will even be looking at you like a criminal.

Nigeria is a zoo, pls if you have not seen how things a done in other countries you have no right disputing this.

4 Likes

Re: Should Genotype Decide Your Marriage??? by Nobody: 6:25am On Apr 23, 2016
blueseacats:
Bro! You are a gem, people like you should appear all over Nigeria fast, else we will be living in dark ages till 22nd century.

You have pinpointed exactly the reason we are still living in dark ages today. We black people run from problems , white people on the other hand confront it head on, even if it takes their life, it makes it even more fun. Nigeria has the highest cases of AS genotype in the world, yet United States which has just 100,000 cases of sickle cell invest billions every year and research day and night to find a cure, now they have found different ways to cure / prevent, and manage sickle cell, but blacks can't even tap into the solution which they have already provided for us.

I cry for black race, yea you will notice how some idiots will come for my head for not screaming in a loud voice that black is the best . Well, only a fool will keep telling himself how he's the best, when in reality he is lagging behind in all ramifications of life.

Op. Pls let them be, funny thing is that I know a guy who left his lovely soulmate because of AS issue, guess what? His new wife gave birth to their first kid who's a Down syndrome, from there he finally realized he needs to love a child whether healthy or not.

To add to your observation, did you notice that the same people who frown at medicine to solve their sickle cell issue will also go to medicine to find out what their genotype is? What a race . They keep screaming how they want to eradicate sickle, as if the condition is an animal that needs to be extinct, mutation don't become extinct, they are treated/ cured.

In western nations after sickle cell trait screening , couples will be advised on how to take care of the new born child even before birth, you hardly hear councilors telling couples in love to break up due to sickle cell, all you get is love, and encouragement . Come to Nigeria, the nurses will even be looking at you like a criminal.

Nigeria is a zoo, pls if you have not seen how things a done in other countries you have no right disputing this.

Re: Should Genotype Decide Your Marriage??? by ednut1(m): 7:16am On Apr 23, 2016
BUTCHCASSIDY:

Why cant you disagree without resorting to insults. Haba angry
no vex bros

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Pls My Follow Romancelander Advice On What To Do. #feeling Sad# / Could This Be A True Love or a drama? / Name One Thing You Won’t Accept In Your Next Relationship

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.