Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,168,866 members, 7,872,877 topics. Date: Thursday, 27 June 2024 at 01:25 AM

I NEED ADVICE ON NUMBER PLATE - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / I NEED ADVICE ON NUMBER PLATE (1640 Views)

Pastor Igwe Erick Nwankwo's Car Number Plate Goes Viral / Borno, Home Of Peace: Can You Spot The Irony Of This Vehicle Number Plate? / 'Witch' Number Plate In Garki Abuja {pics} (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

I NEED ADVICE ON NUMBER PLATE by billyG(m): 10:44pm On Apr 25, 2016
I bought a used car from some1 3months ago,the person is disturbing me to return his number plate,reason it is registered in his name,is it the trend with the new number plate?if his number plate is registered in his name what of d car itself.Idid change of ownership which shld transfer everything to the new owners including no; plate,i dnt hav any money to spare to pursue a new number plate.pls house advice.
Re: I NEED ADVICE ON NUMBER PLATE by Lexusgs430: 1:24am On Apr 26, 2016
billyG:
I bought a used car from some1 3months ago,the person is disturbing me to return his number plate,reason it is registered in his name,is it the trend with the new number plate?if his number plate is registered in his name what of d car itself.Idid change of ownership which shld transfer everything to the new owners including no; plate,i dnt hav any money to spare to pursue a new number plate.pls house advice.

At the point of purchase, did the seller make you aware he would want his number plate back?
Number plates are registered to person(s), some sellers don't bother switching, but some enlightened ones do.
Re: I NEED ADVICE ON NUMBER PLATE by billyG(m): 2:16am On Apr 26, 2016
Lexusgs430:

At the point of purchase, did the seller make you aware he would want his number plate back?
Number plates are registered to person(s), some sellers don't bother switching, but some enlightened ones do.
NO!it was not in d agreement b4 purchase.
Re: I NEED ADVICE ON NUMBER PLATE by Lexusgs430: 3:21am On Apr 26, 2016
billyG:

Unfortunately if seller wants his plates back, try work out some sort of agreement with him, that would enable you get funds for your own plates. Give him a timeline and stick to it.
Or else e go b police matter!!!! And once e become police matter, I hear the Police is our friend!!!!
Re: I NEED ADVICE ON NUMBER PLATE by pattybf(f): 6:09am On Apr 26, 2016
billyG:

No agreement can transfer d no plate to u! he can take d risk of allowing u use it but any day he decides it has become risky, he has d right to take it back!
Re: I NEED ADVICE ON NUMBER PLATE by GAZZUZZ(m): 7:33am On Apr 26, 2016
even if there was no verbal agreement, the plates are for th original owner. Strike a deal with him and get new plates in your name, and return his. Plates in the long run it is safer for you.
Re: I NEED ADVICE ON NUMBER PLATE by Nobody: 11:48pm On Apr 26, 2016
billyG:

This is the trend with the new no plate. If you did the proper change of ownership then, the mvaa personnel who processed it should have informed you to return the no plate to the rightful owner because, you can't get the documents of that vehicle changed to your own name untill you have processed the proper change of ownership and a re-registration of already registered vehicle which includes you getting your own no plate. Only after this can you get all documents in your name.

If you have done the change of ownership and now have all documents in your name without having to change the no plate, this can only mean you didn't go through the proper process and could land you in trouble on the long run.
Re: I NEED ADVICE ON NUMBER PLATE by billyG(m): 3:04am On Apr 27, 2016
achalugonata:

This is the trend with the new no plate. If you did the proper change of ownership then, the mvaa personnel who processed it should have informed you to return the no plate to the rightful owner because, you can't get the documents of that vehicle changed to your own name untill you have processed the proper change of ownership and a re-registration of already registered vehicle which includes you getting your own no plate. Only after this can you get all documents in your name.

If you have done the change of ownership and now have all documents in your name without having to change the no plate, this can only mean you didn't go through the proper process and could land you in trouble on the long run.
Y shld i go thru all this stress no: plate is meant 2 identify 1 car frm another not about owner which can change frm time to time.
Re: I NEED ADVICE ON NUMBER PLATE by AutoJoshNG: 10:52am On Apr 27, 2016
billyG:

Y shld i go thru all this stress no: plate is meant 2 identify 1 car frm another not about owner which can change frm time to time.

Hello BillyG,

This is a government policy and it has been applicable since the introduction of the new plate number. Changing the plate number does not take time as you can get everything done in a day. However, the CMR may delay till the next day.

Autojoshng
Re: I NEED ADVICE ON NUMBER PLATE by Nobody: 8:16pm On Apr 27, 2016
billyG:

This is government policy right from the introduction of this new no plate like autojoshng rightly said but surely not a day process.

The process : get affidavit, police report and cmr for change of ownership with the receipt inclusive. With these and the vehicle's DOCs, proceed to the station of registration and effect the change on their ledger. After this, a reciept and a form will be given to you by the station which you take to alausa for a print out. Then to courtvile plc to effect the change on the system.

So you will agree that this can't be done in a day and if you can't be patient to go through all these, then you can only be sure of getting a fake job done.
Re: I NEED ADVICE ON NUMBER PLATE by Nobody: 8:28pm On Apr 27, 2016
billyG:

Note that as the owner of a vehicle changes, So is the information on the doc changes as no two individual has the same information and this also leads to changing of vehicle no plate.
Re: I NEED ADVICE ON NUMBER PLATE by billyG(m): 11:07pm On Apr 27, 2016
GAZZUZZ:
even if there was no verbal agreement, the plates are for th original owner. Strike a deal with him and get new plates in your name, and return his. Plates in the long run it is safer for you.
which deal.
Re: I NEED ADVICE ON NUMBER PLATE by Nobody: 8:04pm On May 06, 2016
billyG:

which deal.

I think you should just go on and process your change of ownership and do a re-registration of already registered vehicle so as to get your own no plate and gently return the no plate to the rightful owner to avoid having issues on the long run.

Consider this: assuming the former owner of the said vehicle used it as a collateral some time ago and at the point of payment cld not meet up with the payment and already have sold to u, being that the vehicle is still in his name , it could be traced and taken from you.

Secondly, what if this vehicle was used to commit a crime before being sold to you?

What if this vehicle is used to commit a crime by you and is traced back to the former ?

So in a nut shell, it's not advisable to drive without doing a change of ownership.

(1) (Reply)

These Car Tech Gadgets Will Improve Your Driving Experience / Sell Us Ur Distress Used Cars From Direct Owner / Fixing The Madness In Nigeria's Auto Repair Industry

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.