Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,600 members, 7,882,047 topics. Date: Saturday, 06 July 2024 at 02:17 PM

Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland - Career (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland (82701 Views)

24 Federal Permanent Secretaries For Sack - TheEagleOnline / Why Do Most Female Secretaries Sleep With Their Bosses? / Icsan - Institute Of Chartered Secretaries And Administrators. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (26) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland by Nobody: 12:57pm On Jan 09, 2007
MYpeace

thenk you for ur advice and suggestions. Am actually looking for job right now so am hoping they retain me then I can do that from here.

You r all right abt there being a job for sec at any given time. It is the class of job one wants that is the problem. I personally want to be a PA and work my way to a managerial position. In this place ther is no prospect of ever doing that as a sec aside from the hassles and never having time to look else where.

I understand with jobseeker who wants to commit sucide but it is not the answer like one of my Sister said No Condition is Permanent. I may hate what I do now but I will hate it more to sit at home. It can drive u nuts.

But Mypeace pls do know of any school that offer financial management in PGD level. I will really appreciate any help on this aspect as I intend to get as many qaulifications to get to a managerial level as soon as possible.
Re: Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland by motunde(f): 10:50am On Jan 10, 2007
Hello Dear,

Honestly, i love this forum. Well, i am working in a Law firm as a secretary but i studied Philosophy. I have to take up this job after staying at home for too long, neverthelast i thank God. My challenges are that in the firm they seems not to pay people that are not lawyers as much as they pay their lawyer, i don't know why it should be like that.Moreso, my boss is the opinion that as long as you are not alawyer then you don't deserve respect which i thank is wrong.

I must say that i am enjoying the job eventhough i am getting what i wanted as a graduate but it has really help me to develop myself more on the computer.Also, i will really appreacite if u could get me inform when there is any openning elsewhere that u i would respected.

Thanks, God bless u, God bless our nation, God bless Africa.
Re: Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland by MyPeace(f): 12:43pm On Jan 10, 2007
NTOCHI

If I know of any School, i will tell you.  Other members should take note pls.  You need to start 2007/2008 session.  Schools normally advertise between June and July each year.  We should all be at a look out.

@Yanni
Thats a good one, keep it up.
Re: Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland by beau1(f): 4:39pm On Jan 10, 2007
Hi all,

I c we're making progress. Kudos all smiley smiley cheesy

As per PG training, i resolved to take MBA (2006/2007) @ UNIBEN; i've applied, waiting to write the entrance test.
Re: Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland by MyPeace(f): 5:11pm On Jan 10, 2007
Beau1, thats good. Unilag has already taken their test. I jealous u sweetie kiss kiss. Am waiting for 2007/2008 session
Re: Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland by MyPeace(f): 8:16am On Jan 11, 2007
Pls help me out.

Am leading a team of my company's staff to a program this weekend. Consequently, i will be going with a first aid box. I dont really know what and what i need to buy. Here is my list, pls add or substract from this list, latest Friday January 11, 2007 before noon. i will be buying the items on friday, pls help me now!!!

Bandaga
cotton wool
TCP and Iodine/spirit
Paracetamol
Glucose
Robb

Thanks.
Re: Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland by beau1(f): 10:36am On Jan 11, 2007
Hi mypeace, you can add the following to your list: Plaster, Hydrogen Peroxide, Scissors and Disposable hand gloves. Have a nice time cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland by MyPeace(f): 3:04pm On Jan 11, 2007
Beau1

Thx alot. I cant believe i forget plaster. I will add them up.
Re: Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland by teena(f): 12:16pm On Jan 16, 2007
Helo my dear pple in d hse,

I've really missed a lot as I hv bn away 4 3 wks now.

Am very happy with the trend the forum is moving. I welcome all new comers and tank all contributors.

Mypeace are u back from the trip with ur colleagues, hw was it, hope you're able 2 get all d stuff 4 d First Aid Box

I belive this year will be a very wonderful one for all of us.
Re: Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland by teena(f): 11:33am On Jan 17, 2007
To our job-seekers,

All hope is not lost, new year, new beginning!
My candid advice is that you should not neglect any job especially as a beginner.  As mypeace rightly mentioned, the knowledge we acquire in schl is quite different from that of the real job setting.  The more experience one has the more chances of getting a better job opportunity.

I guess the little problems I face in my own job is due to the fact that I never had the opprtunity to work under a more experienced person, my company is a small one though, but my boss expect me to know everything.  Its very challenging!  Am very happy that I hv access to the net and also to such a forum as this nairaland.

Moreover, wherever you find yourself, try and exploit all the avenues therein, create an impact and tap ur own resources (it might be knowledge or meeting pple) while you still serach for a better job.

Always be yourself, accept your mistakes and take corrections.

Dont miss any opporunity of learning a new thing from whoever you can. 

Respect everyone but dont fear anybody even your boss, self confidence is very important.

I hv learnt that truthfulness is a vital tool in this profession, it saves one from so many hassles. 
Always make notes especially if you are a forgetfull type like me. 

Always be in control of your office especially if you are a PA.  A secretary that cannot manage her office well, may not also manage her marital home well.

Above all, your dressing tells a lot of whom you are, it might not be too expensive or too many but let them be neat and corporate.

@jobseeker, DONT LOOSE HOPE, THERE ARE BETTER/GREATER THINGS IN THE FUTURE!!

Why not just tell yourself that 2007 is your year of abundant blessings from above, !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Goooooooooooooooooooood  Luuuuuuuuccccccccccccccck
smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley
Re: Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland by MyPeace(f): 8:54am On Jan 18, 2007
Hi Teena,

Welcome back to the forum.

Thanks, the trip was fine. I got most of the items, thank God there was no casulty.

You talked about noting down some assignments/mgs so that we dont forget. I do that too, but someone told me that it can be better organised with MS Outlook office. I dont know if anybody knows this package to that extend. I try using it to organise my calandar but its not working as expected.
Re: Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland by MyPeace(f): 8:37am On Jan 19, 2007
Thanks Purplepal, I would try if i could teach myself how to use it properly.

Does this kind of your employment work in Nigeria?
Re: Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland by SandyRocks1(f): 2:32pm On Jan 19, 2007
[color=#000099][/color]Oh my! I am really encouraged by this thread. I appreciate all contributions and contributors. Pls pls pls, someone suggested getting chartered with Institutee of Chartered Secretaries and Administrators (ICSA); no one commented and it died there. I strongly encourage us all to give it a thought. It is such a wonderful certification; no one can beleive the returns of it. pls my people, make enquires, read about it and give it a shot. I intend to start writting my own exams mid year (2007). You can sell for life with those exams if you take them seriously and come out tops. Good luck to everyone and happy new year.
Re: Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland by beau1(f): 4:09pm On Jan 19, 2007
@ Sym,

Thanks for your comments and contributions. About the ICSA, since you're into it already please can you educate us more on the processes it took you. What stages of exams to write, cost of entrance, etc. Is it true that the Nigeria chapter of ICSA does not have a website like ICAN.

Please lets hear from you soon. Tnx.
Re: Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland by beau1(f): 4:15pm On Jan 19, 2007
@ Purplepal,

Thanks for joining in. What can we benefit from ur site. Are you into work at home stuff? Do such things really work in Nigeria? Do educate us, please.

You know sometimes I wonder how one can genuinely do extra job on the net for pay without been scammed in naija. Not with the bad record set by the yahoo-yahoo people!
Re: Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland by SandyRocks1(f): 4:22pm On Jan 19, 2007
Beau1, yes the Nigerian chapter hasn't got a site. Doesn't hinder anything though, lectures are even way cheaper at Lagos which makes it better as compared to the north. If anyone is from a relevant background, i.e Law, you have just 4 papers to write each costing £200 with an initial registration fees of NGN23,000.00. If from any other background, i.e irrelevant background, then you have to write 6 papers where I belong. You  can locate the office at Alausa in Lagos for every dam detail enquiry as I may not be able to give every info you require. Pls my people, look beyod the cost of the exams. You can practice anywhere in the world with this certificate. Imagine combining it with a wonderful masters afterwards. Good luck.
Re: Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland by beau1(f): 11:18am On Jan 25, 2007
Hello Sym, tnx so much for your reply. What areas of practice is available and as a Degree holder in Secretarial Administration/Education, what level will I start - any exemption?
Re: Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland by beau1(f): 11:23am On Jan 25, 2007
@ purplepal, tnx for your expo.

You see, I desire to do some kind of part-time job since I have access to the net that can fetch me so money honourably without having to resign my permanent job as it were. Any info?
Re: Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland by beau1(f): 11:25am On Jan 25, 2007
Hello mypeace et al,

How are we doing? Its been long we heard from you. Are we on recess? Please come on board. This thread must be alive always.

Many thanks.
Re: Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland by MyPeace(f): 1:17pm On Jan 25, 2007
hi Beau1

not really on recess, but hve bn busy. Am about publishing my coy's newsletter for the 1st quarter. trying to gather info together. Again I have a section of it for any info on organisation effiecency. Pls do you have any tips on organisational efficency for any department?

Or Any other side attraction you feel i shd add. This is my second edition.

How far with ur Uniben stuff, Have u taken the entrance exam?

@Chartered institute of adminstrators and secretaries, I see it as more of company secretary stuff than Admin Secretary where i assume we belong? Do coys employ Chartered Secretaries without law background as Company Secretaries? I doubt it. Thats why i dont really give attention to that institute, i feel company sec and admin sec are two different professions. I stand to be corrected.
Re: Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland by JohnOko: 3:36pm On Jan 25, 2007
Honestly, this a very important discussion, Personally, I have been serving in my company as a confidential secretary for nearly 12 years now, but salary is a for gotten issue. Although the work of secretary now, is best feet for female.

I enjoy the work, nothing wrong with it, but where you are working there is no any allowance for you; the salary is very poor, especially some us who are working with one-man establishment, no job security no nothing. Actually you get job easily than the accountant or other professional career(s), your office is well equipped and clean. At home you can not even boost for anything.
Thank U.
John - Jos.
Re: Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland by SandyRocks1(f): 8:54am On Jan 26, 2007
[tr][tt]@Chartered institute of adminstrators and secretaries, I see it as more of company secretary stuff than Admin Secretary where i assume we belong? Do coys employ Chartered Secretaries without law background as Company Secretaries? I doubt it. Thats why i don't really give attention to that institute, i feel company sec and admin sec are two different professions. I stand to be corrected.[/tt][/tr][font=Lucida Sans Unicode][/font]

My peace, I agree with you. Not the same but Legal secretaries doing better than Admin secs. U must not practice Company secretaryship if you do not want to. A complete module in the course teaches Company Law; which is what the Legal sec needs to practice. Firms can/do and will always need your services if you know what you are about. The ultimate is even running your own biz of consulting for firms who can't have Legal secs on their pay roll. (The fees being high). You get chartered as an ADMINISTRATOR too; which is what you doing at the moment uh! This cert. is global and has an intergrity appeal. It really is just choice you know. Perhaps you want administration but I think taking Secretaryship to another level won't be bad. Afterall the responsibilities are almost same with Legal taking you staright to senior management level and to the boardroom. Please everyone roll in  your ideas on this issue. Thanks.
Re: Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland by JohnOko: 9:19am On Jan 26, 2007
Hi, Purplepal,

Thanks for your comment(s) although we saying a different thing, but notwithstanding, I enjoy some of your tips. How do I, do this part job to generate more income? or be a boss of my self.
please show the way.

thanks.
John - Jos.
Re: Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland by beau1(f): 10:05am On Jan 26, 2007
Hi purplepal,

I've found it elsewhere on nairaland. Tnx all the same.
Re: Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland by beau1(f): 10:12am On Jan 26, 2007
Mypeace,

Welcome back. Kudos on your newsletter, should get back to you on that.

Yet to write the entrance exam (not even reading - no time)

As per chartered secretaries and administrators, can you check out their site (www.isca.org) then we can talk again. Tnx
Re: Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland by MyPeace(f): 4:02pm On Jan 26, 2007
@John

You said you hv worked in a one man business for 12yrs with a little salary.  With 12yrs experience u should be a hot cake because of your load of experience.  Why not apply to bigger organisations?  Sorry for this question - Are u a graduate secretary?. I know some people stay in such employment because they don't have certificate to back up their experience.  If thats the case, you still have an option - Partime Schools.

@SYM
I quite understand your argument.  Yes, its a personal choice.  perosnally, I wont think of anything professional qualification until after my masters program.  However thanks for this suggestion - it will keep it in view.
Re: Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland by MyPeace(f): 4:17pm On Jan 26, 2007
@beau1

Abeg read oooo - i know its not easy, but u just hv to fine time ok.

Have gone thru the site, cant really get anything. maybe only the newsletter layouts.

Pls lets talk.

Have a beautiful weekend

PLS WHERE IS TEENA,

Teena hope u hv not forgotn this forum. You are much needed here sweetie kiss kiss
Re: Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland by teena(f): 5:55pm On Jan 26, 2007
You are welcome John,

Mypeace sorry dear, am ok its just work.  Sometimes, am engaged outside my office.   Moreover, I cant be tired of the forum and Beau1, nothing like recess here wink wink wink.

Plz can someone give us more clues about the MS Outlook Office.  Its not in my system now, though I can request for it.

AM HAPPY FOR ALL THE PROFESSIONALS IN THE HSE AND WISH YOU ALL A LUVLY WEEKEND

kiss kiss kiss
Re: Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland by MyPeace(f): 8:51am On Jan 29, 2007
Teena welcome back.

If you have mscroft word in ur system u'll definately have MS Outlook because it comes with it (its a suite i.e excel, access, ms word, ms outlook, powerpoint etc).

From start, click program, look for MISCROSOFT OFFICE, point to the arrow, you will see all the MS office, with MS outlook there too.

Check for it and get back to me. I have not even started learning the task manager, but i will do it this week and equally get back to you.
Re: Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland by teena(f): 11:57am On Jan 31, 2007
Hi mypeace, I hv outlook express in my system, am sure is quite diff from MS Outlook Office. I hv come across it before, its more detailed like an organiser, it has stuffs like calender, reminder, note etc. But this Outlook express is just for mails, contacts and address book. Fews weeks back my system was bad and the Engineer had to re-intstal it again, I guess he didnt include Ms Outlook Office as we dont use it. Or what do you think?
Re: Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland by MyPeace(f): 12:36pm On Jan 31, 2007
Yea, Outlook Express is different from ms outlook. I have the Express and I use it for emailing.

It will be a surprise if you dont have the MS outlook. As i said earlier, its part of MS word suite, if u have followed my steps and still could find it, it sure could be that it has been deleted by ur Engr since u dont use it. But still check well.
Re: Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland by beau1(f): 3:55pm On Jan 31, 2007
What Does The ICSA do? With over 100 years' experience, the Institute of Chartered Secretaries and Administrators (ICSA) is the recognised global voice on governance and regulatory issues in the private, public and not-for-profit sectors. Working with governmental and other statutory bodies, ICSA promotes best practice and provides guidance on good governance. [s]As the qualifying body for company secretaries and senior administrators[/s], ICSA offers a professional qualification covering business, company law, corporate governance, management, finance/accounting, [s]administration and company secretarial practice[/s]. No other professional body in the business area offers the breadth of knowledge which the ICSA Qualifying Scheme provides.

What is a Chartered Secretary? Chartered Secretaries are high ranking
professionals who are trained to uphold the highest standards of corporate governance, effective operations, compliance
and administration. Highly valued by employers for their ICSA training, Chartered Secretaries are the primary source of advice on the conduct of business. This can span everything from legal advice on conflicts of interest, through accounting advice, to the development of strategy and corporate planning. Chartered Secretaries are employed as chairs, chief executives and non-executive directors, as well as managers and company secretaries.

I just wanted to point out that even though company secretary is different from administrative secretary, the training offered by this body covers both. And I feel that been able to qualify will make the admin sec more versatile. Or what do you think?

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (26) (Reply)

Salary Structures In Nigeria And Their Full Meanings / Learn How To Use Excel Spreadsheets For Beginners / The Salary Of An Average Nigerian Soldier Will Shock You

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 101
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.