Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,191,452 members, 7,944,236 topics. Date: Monday, 09 September 2024 at 01:08 PM

Should I Use Cement Block Or Bricks To Build My House? - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Should I Use Cement Block Or Bricks To Build My House? (1919 Views)

How Caan I Save This Year To Build My House Too / Got Home Last Night And Was Told That My House Has Been Sold Without Notice / Please Who Can Explain This Visible Cracks On My House Wall (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Should I Use Cement Block Or Bricks To Build My House? by YOLO1(m): 11:07am On Apr 28, 2016
Am planning to build a 4 bedroom flat later this year and am on a budget of #2 million excluding Land and foundation. I intend to plaster both inside and outside from this budget. My major problem is choosing between cement blocks and bricks to save cost. Need experts to advise me on this as to the advantages and disadvantages of using either.
Please note. I have only 2 million Naira and nothing more

1 Like

Re: Should I Use Cement Block Or Bricks To Build My House? by Nobody: 11:17am On Apr 28, 2016
What's cement block, what's brick? . I dont understand

1 Like

Re: Should I Use Cement Block Or Bricks To Build My House? by akinloluwao: 11:28am On Apr 28, 2016
i think cement block is more economical. burnt bricks is expensive and stronger than cement blocks. that's what i think oo, but brick houses can fine ehnnnn cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy better soup na money kill am. may God help you and make your dreams a reality.
Re: Should I Use Cement Block Or Bricks To Build My House? by Nobody: 12:27pm On Apr 28, 2016
YOLO1:
Am planning to build a 4 bedroom flat later this year and am on a budget of #2 million excluding Land and foundation. I intend to plaster both inside and outside from this budget. My major problem is choosing between cement blocks and bricks to save cost. Need experts to advise me on this as to the advantages and disadvantages of using either.
Please note. I have only 2 million Naira and nothing more

Use 6" hollow block exclusively, try to negotiate with a block factory = N110/

However, I recommend that you do pillars on both foundation and super structure walls and maybe round beam.

Use Dangote 42.5r on the foundation and german floor but regular cement (cheaper) from then on.

Use a local bricklayer but inspect previous work and agree on unacceptable.

I'm not a structural engineer, architect, yadi yada, so please apply wisdom.

Good luck.

PS: If you keep a detailed log and can prove that you built a 4 bedroom bungalow with N2m, I will give you a substantial house warming gift grin
Re: Should I Use Cement Block Or Bricks To Build My House? by YOLO1(m): 10:27am On Apr 29, 2016
EgunMogaji:

Use 6" hollow block exclusively, try to negotiate with a block factory = N110/

However, I recommend that you do pillars on both foundation and super structure walls and maybe round beam.

Use Dangote 42.5r on the foundation and german floor but regular cement (cheaper) from then on.

Use a local bricklayer but inspect previous work and agree on unacceptable.

I'm not a structural engineer, architect, yadi yada, so please apply wisdom.

Good luck.

PS: If you keep a detailed log and can prove that you built a 4 bedroom bungalow with N2m, I will give you a substantial house warming gift grin
Thanks so much for the advice. I see sense in it.
Re: Should I Use Cement Block Or Bricks To Build My House? by Horlawoomey(m): 10:43am On Apr 29, 2016
BRICKS

Bricks are very fine

Bricks are expensive

Laying bricks requires special skills, not all masons can do brickworks.

There will be no room for conduit service pipes.

You may not need plastering if bricks are neatly laid.

BLOCKS

Blocks are relatively cheaper

There are lots of masons that can do good blockwork for you.

Blocks have rooms for service pipes, like water supply, sewage system and electrical running.

It will need plastering.

Not as strong as the brick.

Going with your budget, block will be best suited for you but I doubt if that amount will do the whole plastering after the roofing.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Architectural Duplex Design / 2 Storey - 6 Flats - 1 Plot = 450sqm (50/100fit) / Contemporary 5 Bedroom Duplex In Lagos by TresVee

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.