Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,255 members, 7,880,955 topics. Date: Friday, 05 July 2024 at 09:54 AM

Eight Years A Slave:The Republican Party And Two-term Obama Presidency - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Eight Years A Slave:The Republican Party And Two-term Obama Presidency (1213 Views)

The Inconvenient Truth About The Republican Party / The Obama Family At The Beginning Of Obama's Presidency And Now / Barack Obama's Presidency In Fascinating Photos By Pete Souza. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Eight Years A Slave:The Republican Party And Two-term Obama Presidency by OlofofoOAU: 4:04pm On Apr 29, 2016
By Damilola Towobola (Toblan SPICE)

The whips ripped into our flesh, excruciating pain forced across the big water on a trip. President Barrack Obama’s eight years in office as president of America was characterized by the Republican obstructionism which though is not exactly new in Washington DC.
The inauguration of Obama was like a beauty sail along the shores of life with the change mantra on mostly every lip in America.

The numbers that trouped out to witness Obama being sworn-in as America’s Black President contributed hugely to the sombre mood of the opposition. Few broken dreams form above the sand dunes as a group of top GOP luminaries quietly gathered in Washington steak House to lick their wounds and during the lengthy discussion strategized how to deal with the incoming administration to ensure he would not be re-elected.

“The room was filled. It was a who’s who of ranking members who had one point been committee chairmen, or in the majority, who now wondered out loud whether they were in the permanent majority”-Frank Luntz, the convener told Frontline, January 15, 2013.
Among them were power broker Jim Demint, Jon Kyl, Tom Coburn, Jeb Hensarling, Pete Hoekstra, Dan Lungren, Kevin McCarthy, Peter Session, Bob Coker, John Ensign, Newt Gingrich, Eric Cantor, Paul Ryan and Frank Luntz, a Republican Strategist.
The Republicans were caught in the rustic reeds of electoral defeat so they had to plan an escape. The meeting summoned on Luntz’s request lasted four hours. The hatched a plan which was to take back the parliament and use it as a weapon of mass destruction towards the policies of Barrack Obama so as to take back the Senate and White House in 2012. The new president meanwhile had no idea of what the Republicans were planning.

The Republican Party commonly called the G.O.P (Grand Old Party) is one of the oldest political parties still in existence. It came to force in 1854 to speak against the “Kansas-Nebraska Act” which threatened to extend slavery into the territories and to promote more vigorous modification of the economy. The party’s dominance began in the 1860’s with the election of Abraham Lincoln with many Republicans occasionally referring to their party as the “Party of Lincoln” and its success in guiding the Union to victory likewise abolishing slavery.
The party’s stronghold was the North however the passage of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 brought disaffection from the south on the Democratic making the G.O.P expand its base through-out the South, though the South’s Transition to a Republican stronghold took decades. Jackie Calmes in New York Times, January 15, 2013 has stated that the party base has been transplanted from the North to the South.
Republican Party in the South got strengthened by the Dixie-crats who broke away from the Democratic Party in 1945 to form the States Rights Democratic Party. The State Rights Democratic Party stood for the Segregation of the races and the racial integrity of each race. The Southern Whites formed the party’s base; the Dixie’s hated blacks and everything about Civil Right so the passage of Civil Rights Act of 1964 made them to switch allegiance to the Republican Party which was seen as more Conservative. As long as a party harbors and gives sustenance to the old Dixie-crats, the party will remain in full control of the South.

The Rich class influence on the Republican Party cannot be undermined. The big money men and women will determine how close each of the two dozen or so contenders can get to the White House. One or two key mega-donors can turn a long-shot into a serious candidate. Influence from mega-donors like the Koch brothers, Sheldon Adelson, Foster Friess, Paul Singer, Robert Mercer, Woody Johnson, Norman Braman, Ken Langone, Joe Ricketts, Peter Thiel can determine which republican get a real shot at the White House.

The role of the Koch Brothers was instrumental to the Republican Party gaining majority at the Legislative arm. American Presidents often have highly disagreeable relationship with members of the Congress from the opposing party. Barrack Obama’s first Four years was pounded with waves on the hull with relentless beat from the Republicans who wanted to stage a comeback in 2012 to the white House. At what point do people stop voting against their own best interest? Former Ohio Senator in Time.com, 23rd of August 2012 was quoted to have said “If he was for it, we had to be against it”.

The Republicans steered the Obama administration with disdain alongside a conceived plan to bring Obama Down. Republicans Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnel had two days to their emergence as majority called for votes to erode the reach of the health care law that was a signature of Obama Administration. “That means that we can-and should- propose and vote on straight repeal repeatedly”- McConnel, NBC News, 11th of April, 2010.

The Republicans stance of attacking Obama saw them vote against some of their bills which were their initial ideas. The Republican had an idea of a free-rider fee for people who can afford health insurance, a policy which Obama had integrated under the “ObamaCare Individual Mandate”; End-Of-Life counseling which used to be part of the Republicans healthcare proposals. “Medicare Cost Saving” which strengthened the long old plans of the republicans to try to make cuts to Medicare for years.

The Republicans with firm control thwarted every effort by the Democrat President to move legislation to revive the economy and previous successes in health care and financial reforms came under severe attacks. To further “stick it to the President” according to a former GOP Senator, they had to vote against their own bill to create a deficit-reduction commission; block the Nuclear START treaty which the Republican leaders supported under President Reegan and Bush. President Obama adopted the yearnings of the Republican to make clean energy a priority but they voted against it because they were hell-bent on bringing Obama down.

Sooner or later, you reach a point in your life where you have witness too much. Obama with the feel of chains around his feet rose to confront the Obstructionism by using Executive order. Vice President Biden was quoted to have said that some of the Republican legislators had told him that “for the next two years, we can’t let you succeed in anything, that’s our ticket to coming back”
Obama vetoed bills such as HR3762-ACA repeal, SJ Res 23-EPA rule, SJ Res 24-EPA rule, HR1735-NDAA, SJ Res 8-NLRB rule, SI-keystone XL pipeline, HR3808-Interstate Recognition of Notarizations Act, HJ Res 64-Continuing Appropriations.

“The Presidential Power to veto legislation is one I take seriously. But I also take seriously my responsibility to the American people. And because this act of congress conflicts with established executive branch procedures and cut short thorough consideration of issues that could bear near on our national interest-including our security, safety and environment-it has earned my veto”- Obama wrote in a memo to Congress.

Executive orders are legally binding orders given by the President; acting as the head of the executive branch, to federal administrative agencies. Executive orders do not require congressional approval to take effect but they have the same legal effect as laws passed by the congress. Executive orders can be found in Article II, section 1 of the constitution which grants to the president Executive power. Section 3 further empowers him to “take care that the laws be faithfully executed”.

In Washington Times of June 14 1999, Interior Secretary Bruce Babbit speaking on Executive Order stated that: “We have switched the rules of the game; we are not trying to do anything legislatively.”

A movie was produced to document the travails of Obama titled “Inside Obama’s Presidency”; the movie tried to explore the behind the scenes story of his four years. But many are of the opinion that we have seen this movie before and didn’t like the way it ended.
How beautiful the flowers that yields without duress, Obama’s eight years in office was filled with obstructionism ranging from voting against bills which the president was for; to calls for impeachment by Republican Congressmen. Obama’s huge sails caused the ship to fly though the President is not happy that rancor and suspicion between parties has gotten worse instead of getting better. He argued that the country’s most acute challenges emanate not from the strength of adversaries but from their weakness.

2 Likes

Re: Eight Years A Slave:The Republican Party And Two-term Obama Presidency by icelord(m): 4:50pm On Apr 29, 2016
Jus incase dis gets to front page..

2 Likes

Re: Eight Years A Slave:The Republican Party And Two-term Obama Presidency by sparkleboy(m): 6:17pm On Apr 29, 2016
Spice
Nice one
But who Obama EPP?

2 Likes

Re: Eight Years A Slave:The Republican Party And Two-term Obama Presidency by Missy89(f): 7:13pm On Apr 29, 2016
I honestly dont get the point of this article.

1 Like

Re: Eight Years A Slave:The Republican Party And Two-term Obama Presidency by OlofofoOAU: 10:02pm On Apr 29, 2016
The piece is about how Obama administration was in chains due to the opposition who vowed to bring him down by all means...voting against bills to frustrate the administration. Imagine Buhari as President and PDP controls the Legislative Arm...will he progress or be able to bring the Change? Thats the point...

1 Like

Re: Eight Years A Slave:The Republican Party And Two-term Obama Presidency by OlofofoOAU: 10:05pm On Apr 29, 2016
Missy89:

.. The piece is about how Obama administration was in chains due to the opposition who vowed to bring him down by all means...voting against bills to frustrate the administration. Imagine Buhari as President and PDP controls the Legislative Arm...will he progress or be able to bring the Change? Thats the point...
Re: Eight Years A Slave:The Republican Party And Two-term Obama Presidency by Missy89(f): 4:43am On Apr 30, 2016
OlofofoOAU:

.. The piece is about how Obama administration was in chains due to the opposition who vowed to bring him down by all means...voting against bills to frustrate the administration. Imagine Buhari as President and PDP controls the Legislative Arm...will he progress or be able to bring the Change? Thats the point...

What change was he planning to bring? He had his chance when the congress was blue on his first term. By the way, History tells us the democrats have done the same before when they were in the opposing side. He needs to stop whining

1 Like

Re: Eight Years A Slave:The Republican Party And Two-term Obama Presidency by 1Tkester: 5:51am On Apr 30, 2016
Missy89:

Mongrel how will you understand when your brain is loaded with shi.t

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Eight Years A Slave:The Republican Party And Two-term Obama Presidency by OlofofoOAU: 7:22pm On Apr 30, 2016
Missy89:

What change was he planning to bring? He had his chance when the congress was blue on his first term. By the way, History tells us the democrats have done the same before when they were in the opposing side. He needs to stop whining

Now will you encourage such again for America? we need a patriotic legislature and Executive in any Country for progress. Seems you a Trump die hard or a Republican apologist.
Re: Eight Years A Slave:The Republican Party And Two-term Obama Presidency by Missy89(f): 7:46pm On Apr 30, 2016
OlofofoOAU:

Now will you encourage such again for America? we need a patriotic legislature and Executive in any Country for progress. Seems you a Trump die hard or a Republican apologist.

What is your definition of patriotic? Sheepishly agreeing with the executive branch? They both have different functions and the point of having different branches of government is to have check and balance not collusion. You should go and learn about how government works.

What is wrong with being a conservative? and what does Trump have to do with any of these?
Re: Eight Years A Slave:The Republican Party And Two-term Obama Presidency by 1Tkester: 11:28pm On Apr 30, 2016
Missy89:

[s]What is your definition of patriotic? Sheepishly agreeing with the executive branch? They both have different functions and the point of having different branches of government is to have check and balance not collusion. You should go and learn about how government works.

What is wrong with being a conservative? and what does Trump have to do with any of these?[/s]

Full of trash!
Re: Eight Years A Slave:The Republican Party And Two-term Obama Presidency by OlofofoOAU: 11:37pm On Apr 30, 2016
Missy89:

What is your definition of patriotic? Sheepishly agreeing with the executive branch? They both have different functions and the point of having different branches of government is to have check and balance not collusion. You should go and learn about how government works.

What is wrong with being a conservative? and what does Trump have to do with any of these?

so disharmony and witch hunt is the functions of government arms in the name of checks and balances. Seems U a learner in politics...If Opposition runs the parliament they will do everything possible to make sure the Executive fails. who doesn't like to be in helms of Affairs?

Missy If you have chance...as Nigerian Senate President and Your Party runs the parliament! You will impeach the president.

Over Ambition placade political power...the legislature is part of the evils of Obama's rein.

Am not against being a Conservative or otherwise but politics should not be do me I do U(Witch Hunt)

1 Like

Re: Eight Years A Slave:The Republican Party And Two-term Obama Presidency by Missy89(f): 11:51pm On Apr 30, 2016
OlofofoOAU:

so disharmony and witch hunt is the functions of government arms in the name of checks and balances. Seems U a learner in politics...If Opposition runs the parliament they will do everything possible to make sure the Executive fails. who doesn't like to be in helms of Affairs?

Missy If you have chance...as Nigerian Senate President and Your Party runs the parliament! You will impeach the president.

Over Ambition placade political power...the legislature is part of the evils of Obama's rein.

Am not against being a Conservative or otherwise but politics should not be do me I do U(Witch Hunt)

But where were you when the democrats wanted to impeach bush? By the way, tell me ONE Obama's plan that has been blocked by the Republicans and i will show you an executive order signed by Obama to implement the same plan. I am waiting for you to really answer this question.

Why would anyone impeach Obama anyway without a legitimate reason. The last time i checked, He is still the president.

Save all the ad hominems for a logical debate and stick to the point, first you accused me of being a die hard trump supporter and a republican, now i dont know anything about politics and you think you do?
Re: Eight Years A Slave:The Republican Party And Two-term Obama Presidency by 1Tkester: 1:04am On May 01, 2016
Missy89:

[s]But where were you when the democrats wanted to impeach bush? By the way, tell me ONE Obama's plan that has been blocked by the Republicans and i will show you an executive order signed by Obama to implement the same plan. I am waiting for you to really answer this question.

Why would anyone impeach Obama anyway without a legitimate reason. The last time i checked, He is still the president.

Save all the ad hominems for a logical debate and stick to the point, first you accused me of being a die hard trump supporter and a republican, now i dont know anything about politics and you think you do?
[/s]

Trash!
Re: Eight Years A Slave:The Republican Party And Two-term Obama Presidency by OlofofoOAU: 2:40pm On May 01, 2016
Missy89:

But where were you when the democrats wanted to impeach bush? By the way, tell me ONE Obama's plan that has been blocked by the Republicans and i will show you an executive order signed by Obama to implement the same plan. I am waiting for you to really answer this question.

lol, sorry if I attacked your personality...Are you saying evil should be paid with evil at the detriment of the Commonwealth?

Will a govt employ veto if it has a Parliament that will scrutinize and make such fully beneficial to the masses. We have passed age of witch hunt...we should focus on growing further and not trying to hamper the others because of personal interest.

You very happy and boastful to show me...Bills passed by Obama through Veto and am sure you going to be one of those Shouting God Bless America. I Think it is now God Deliver America
Re: Eight Years A Slave:The Republican Party And Two-term Obama Presidency by Missy89(f): 4:03pm On May 01, 2016
OlofofoOAU:

lol, sorry if I attacked your personality...Are you saying evil should be paid with evil at the detriment of the Commonwealth?

Will a govt employ veto if it has a Parliament that will scrutinize and make such fully beneficial to the masses. We have passed age of witch hunt...we should focus on growing further and not trying to hamper the others because of personal interest.

You very happy and boastful to show me...Bills passed by Obama through Veto and am sure you going to be one of those Shouting God Bless America. I Think it is now God Deliver America

Still waiting for you to show a bill the republicans are blocking Obama from signing to law.
Re: Eight Years A Slave:The Republican Party And Two-term Obama Presidency by OlofofoOAU: 10:01pm On May 01, 2016
Missy89:

Still waiting for you to show a bill the republicans are blocking Obama from signing to law.

In the body of the article, it was stated that Republicans opposed bills which they had supported previously and was their own initiative but because it's a Democrats. hmmm it is a bad bill.
Re: Eight Years A Slave:The Republican Party And Two-term Obama Presidency by Missy89(f): 10:21pm On May 01, 2016
OlofofoOAU:

In the body of the article, it was stated that Republicans opposed bills which they had supported previously and was their own initiative but because it's a Democrats. hmmm it is a bad bill.

To further “stick it to the President” according to a former GOP Senator, they had to vote against their own bill to create a deficit-reduction commission; block the Nuclear START treaty which the Republican leaders supported under President Reegan and Bush.

The New Start Treaty passed eventually. A deficit-reduction commission was opposed by some democrats too. That said, Obama created it anyway with Executive Order 13531. what else?

1 Like

Re: Eight Years A Slave:The Republican Party And Two-term Obama Presidency by OlofofoOAU: 11:08pm On May 01, 2016
Missy89:

To further “stick it to the President” according to a former GOP Senator, they had to vote against their own bill to create a deficit-reduction commission; block the Nuclear START treaty which the Republican leaders supported under President Reegan and Bush.

The New Start Treaty passed eventually. A deficit-reduction commission was opposed by some democrats too. That said, Obama created it anyway with Executive Order 13531. what else?

The Republican were Obstructionist in their own country... I hope you now agree?
Re: Eight Years A Slave:The Republican Party And Two-term Obama Presidency by Missy89(f): 11:15pm On May 01, 2016
OlofofoOAU:

The Republican were Obstructionist in their own country... I hope you now agree?

You haven't pointed out a single bill they opposed that somehow made Obama unable to perform his duties. The democrats do the same thing every time if the have the chance.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Breaking! Kenyan- Hindu Become First Black UK Prime Minister-pics / Niger Republic Citizens Cry They Live Like Slaves / Violent Protest In Afghanistan Over Burning Of Koran

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.