Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,169,795 members, 7,875,972 topics. Date: Sunday, 30 June 2024 at 06:08 AM

The Plight Of A Nigerian Medical Student - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / The Plight Of A Nigerian Medical Student (13552 Views)

What Every Nigerian Medical Student Must Experience In Medical School. / Abiola, 21-Year-Old Nigerian Medical Doctor (Photos) / Life Of A Typical Nigerian Medical Student From Birth To Graduation In Pictures (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Plight Of A Nigerian Medical Student by PipSurgeon(m): 5:44am On Apr 30, 2016
the country tire me..
Re: The Plight Of A Nigerian Medical Student by October1960: 5:51am On Apr 30, 2016
The ruling class of thieves in Nigerian government have ruined this country on all levels. Thirty plus years of stealing and stealing has taken its toll.

Perm secs, directors, managers, ministers, governors, IG of police all nah thieves.
Re: The Plight Of A Nigerian Medical Student by JonSnow(m): 6:03am On Apr 30, 2016
You're staying 8 yrs and you're complaining? How about students of Imo State University Teaching Hospital that stay 10 yrs + x??

4 Likes

Re: The Plight Of A Nigerian Medical Student by Drdonzeez(m): 6:41am On Apr 30, 2016
tohpahz:
sad sorry..
This is pathetic.medicine in uniben takes a minimum of 8 years.UI should be better.
Re: The Plight Of A Nigerian Medical Student by billyG(m): 7:04am On Apr 30, 2016
Modsenemy:
Uninteresting piece. Even d graduates are still roaming d streets .
Graduate full ground throway. So jst chill ! God is in control
u mean medical grads?
Re: The Plight Of A Nigerian Medical Student by Adebola02(m): 7:22am On Apr 30, 2016
0gbeni:

0gbeni.. there's no crisis in OAU
did I mention anything relating to crisis? The school is currently on break due to the academic leave demanded by Lecturers. And the resumption date is june 24, OAU resuming 2015/2016 session in june 2016 is a sorry case.

2 Likes

Re: The Plight Of A Nigerian Medical Student by Zellie: 7:28am On Apr 30, 2016
You shouldn't be sad bro, it happens almost everywhere. In UNIBEN, the current 600L (graduating 600L cos there are two classes in 600L, old and new) have spent 8 years in school. . Even without strikes, it would have been the same so its not just strikes that extends the normal duration., the calendar Is just fvcked up..
Re: The Plight Of A Nigerian Medical Student by tohpahz(f): 7:37am On Apr 30, 2016
Drdonzeez:
This is pathetic.medicine in uniben takes a minimum of 8 years.UI should be better.

Yeah i knw.. same with nursing, some dont get to write their licensing exams till dia 7/8th year.. toobad!
Re: The Plight Of A Nigerian Medical Student by d33types: 7:47am On Apr 30, 2016
otokx:
The problem is simply over admission, your class size should be 25 then you push in 100 and expect a miracle. The space is for 25 ~ 50; Nigeria is a strange place.

did you even read the post?sometimes I wonder where we put our brains.

over admission isn't the problem in any medical school.it is strikes that make classes pile up,not overadmission.
Re: The Plight Of A Nigerian Medical Student by henrygale(m): 9:06am On Apr 30, 2016
d33types:

did you even read the post?sometimes I wonder where we put our brains.

over admission isn't the problem in any medical school.it is strikes that make classes pile up,not overadmission.
Bro or sis,over admission is one of the problems.
In my set in 100L lautech,they were about 600/700 students admitted,den about 40 of us joined in 200L after crossing from various departments.
Den moving from 200-300L dey dropped about half and another more than half dat was dropped from the class before us,repeating the class,joined us,so we were about 600 in 300L! And ds was a class meant for less than 100 students. In order to graduate the number allowed for the school,classes piled up,and at some points,accreditation was threatened due to excess numbers and ds also slowed down the academic calendar.
I don't like remembering those days mehn!
Person eye c no b small!

1 Like

Re: The Plight Of A Nigerian Medical Student by henrygale(m): 9:09am On Apr 30, 2016
billyG:

u mean medical grads?
There r many without jobs o bro.
To get housemanship placements sef na war!
Except if u just wan attach to any private hospital not minding how much u r being paid wch can be very ridiculous most times.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Plight Of A Nigerian Medical Student by Nobody: 10:08am On Apr 30, 2016
otokx:
The problem is simply over admission, your class size should be 25 then you push in 100 and expect a miracle. The space is for 25 ~ 50; Nigeria is a strange place.

I agree as a medic....and I would add that we do need to expand places for medical training.
Re: The Plight Of A Nigerian Medical Student by d33types: 10:29am On Apr 30, 2016
henrygale:

In order to graduate the number allowed for the school,classes piled up,and at some points,accreditation was threatened due to excess numbers and ds also slowed down the academic calendar.
I don't like remembering those days mehn!
Person eye c no b small!

so because of accreditations,they delayed exams or split the class¿?
Re: The Plight Of A Nigerian Medical Student by henrygale(m): 10:30am On Apr 30, 2016
d33types:

so because of accreditations,they delayed exams or split the class¿?
Both!
Re: The Plight Of A Nigerian Medical Student by snilpall(m): 11:32am On Apr 30, 2016
shyshally:
Hey nairalanders, for the sake of privacy, I omitted the writers name

I was reluctant about sharing this post when I saw the my last post on patience but I want o share it because something's are very painful.
So let's do this...
My name is **** ****.The thing is_ there is a good news and a really bad news. The good news is that am done with all my postings after a six year training that lasted eight years in my school; University of Jos. It is supposed to be an accredited faculty and department but we spent eight years to complete all the postings. We had crisis but those in Maiduguri had worse. Oh... I remember, we also had strikes... so many from many angles. Thank God the postings are over.
The really bad news is that our exams has been postponed till further notice because there is an ongoing strike in the hospital. When the news came yesterday night, many of my mates cried. We had hoped that they would consider our plight and conduct the exams in other hospitals but they had made what we termed " the mean choice". Most of us have become apathetic about many things, the zeal that we once had has faded into insignificance. They have lacerated our emotions. Some of us are so confused now. Our rents are expiring, our parents are worried and guess what? No one has come to speak to us. Everybody complains of the falling moral and knowledge standard of doctors but look at the way we are trained; a training that makes us loose our minds. If we become strange kind of doctors, who have lost all empathy and emotions, who will blame us? God help us

It's really pathetic when I think of it, that this is happening at this time. This is the same University that went on a four month strike from last year October.
That's aside from the 4 months strike it went on in 2014 to 2015 because of students protest.
Thats just counting the recent ones oh.
How do you expect the zeal of the students to remain the same.
Presently, the set going to 400 level cannot start clinicals because there is no space in juth, so they have to wait for the final year guys to leave before starting. They've been at home for more than 6 months now.
I wonder when the education sector in Nigeria will improve.
I hope this reaches the right people, and something is done about it.

dats y i like UNN med sch....UNTH.......bros chill ...it wil.soon b over....#proudly medic#
Re: The Plight Of A Nigerian Medical Student by apatheticme(f): 11:53am On Apr 30, 2016
Re: The Plight Of A Nigerian Medical Student by mileskiyo(m): 3:27pm On Apr 30, 2016
classical15:
This is disheartening. I graduated from Unilorin med school and I think that's the only plus they've got... stable calendar. While I'm aware that this problem is generalised for most med school in Nigeria, but I think JUTH is worst hit. The VC/ provost really needs some brain. The calendar in unijos is a crawling one. Pls guys keep sharing on all platform possible till the so called leaders of that institution perceive their irresponsibility!

Unilorin COHS?! WHat year?! MAT No. XX/47KCXXX?!

(1) (2) (Reply)

Federal Polytechnic Nekede Owerri Imo State 2011/2012 Result Is Out Check It Now / Police Academy Test Admission Scandal: Governors, Senators Scheme Out Candidates / Which University Is Currently Selling Their Pre-degree Form.pls Help!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.