Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,190,628 members, 7,941,411 topics. Date: Friday, 06 September 2024 at 06:28 AM

A Nation, Her People, Her Herdsmen, And Her Press. - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / A Nation, Her People, Her Herdsmen, And Her Press. (10273 Views)

Let's Handle Herdsmen And Farmer's Violence With Open Mind - VP Osinbajo Says / Sultan To Buhari: Take Firm Action On Herdsmen And Farmers Clashes / Counter Thread: A Nation, Her People, Her Herdsmen, And Her Press By Omenka (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A Nation, Her People, Her Herdsmen, And Her Press. by OBAFEMIawolowo: 5:16pm On May 02, 2016
fulanmafia:

No we are not talking of human lives, this thread is addressing the propaganda to criminalize Fulani herdsmen through illogical and totally irrational generalizations, which increasingly appear to have political undertones.
would you also say that boko haram insurgence had a political undertone? Because this was how it all started

12 Likes

Re: A Nation, Her People, Her Herdsmen, And Her Press. by omenka(m): 5:17pm On May 02, 2016
fulanmafia:
Well done Omenka for this brilliant piece. For an insight into how sinister the press can get regarding this issue, kindly peruse the thread I created yesterday https://www.nairaland.com/3080254/rejoinder-sultan-condemned-herdsmen-attacks

The fact remains that those that seek to gain political capital from the utterly condemnable atrocities of the criminal herdsmen will continue to be disappointed because nothing they try can change their present unfavorable and frankly laughable political circumstances.

The frustrated ones using the attacks as a cover to cast aspersions on the President and profile his people are the most pitiable because PMB will continue to be President, and Fulanis will continue to be Fulanis - providing the meat and leather that feeds them and contributes significantly to the economy that sustains them.
The comments in that thread you referenced in your article shows how twisted the minds of these people have become.

Could you believe NO ONE noticed or made reference to the strong condemnation issued by the Sultan over the atrocities and the fact that he called on security agencies to track down the perpetrators and bring them to justice- all they cared about was that the Sultan dared to say NOT ALL Fulanis are criminals!!

My question is, what offence did the Sultan commit condemning the crimes, calling for the criminals to be dealt with and insisting not ALL the tribesmen are criminals (which is a statement of truth) that they had to heap such insults on him??

Just look at their comments here, more insults and little or no show of intelligent engagement except the attempt by Luvinhobby for which I'm pleasantly shocked. cheesy

Most of these guys are just overly emotional kids with access to the internet and very poor upbringing.

2 Likes 3 Shares

Re: A Nation, Her People, Her Herdsmen, And Her Press. by cleatoris: 5:19pm On May 02, 2016
Kundagarten:
Typical slave mentality, Buhari's people are killing your people you're here telling us to support Buhari's people.
Honestly I don't know why some (supposedly sane) humans keep making cases for the terror fulani herdsmen in the face of their ongoing wanton barbarism which cuts across every ethnic, religious and political divides.

Omenka is only trying not to be seen as opposing Buhari. He is stuck on the most dangerous extreme of political correctness.
He is not different from the average Wailer, IPod or tanoid who views every problems and challenges of Nigeria on the perspective of electoral victory & defeat.

If a Benue man (or any other Nigerian for that matter) can make a case for the terror herdsmen, then the herd of useful idiots staging solidarity marches for common criminals like bukola Saraki deserve recommendations for national honours.

14 Likes 5 Shares

Re: A Nation, Her People, Her Herdsmen, And Her Press. by modath(f): 5:20pm On May 02, 2016
asha80:
I am not sure how sw,nc and ss are free from this onslaught with your submission in the last paragraph

I get what you are saying but it's looking like they've decided to face Enugu or don't you think so? The kind of brazenness that comes with people getting wind of attacks is alarming....

Agatu, Taraba,Olu Falae, we just woke up one day and the news was everywhere, but the Enugu attack was in the media space 3 days or so prior... I have nothing concrete to go by, just a gut feeling....

S
Re: A Nation, Her People, Her Herdsmen, And Her Press. by ShineuEye: 5:26pm On May 02, 2016
cleatoris:

Honestly I don't know why some (supposedly sane) humans keep making cases for the terror fulani herdsmen in the face of their ongoing wanton barbarism which cuts across every ethnic, religious and political divides.

Omenka is only trying not to be seen as opposing Buhari. He is stuck on the most dangerous extreme of political correctness.
He is not different from the average Wailer, IPod or tanoid who views every problems and challenges of Nigeria on the perspective of electoral victory & defeat.

If a Benue man (or any other Nigerian for that matter) can make a case for the terror herdsmen, then the herd of useful idiots staging solidarity marches for common criminals like bukola Saraki deserve recommendations for national honours.

grin grin grin

2 Likes

Re: A Nation, Her People, Her Herdsmen, And Her Press. by fulanmafia: 5:27pm On May 02, 2016
luvinhubby:

Millitants, herdsmen , the common denominator is Fulani.

You have not pointed to any other likely source of the crime associated with these Fulani, so trying to exhonorate the fingered culprits without pointing to most probable alternative is out of it.
No need profiling a crime that the perpetrators are well known. The victims have identified the criminals & thr jury is out with a verdict, the Fulanis are guilty

There are criminals engaging in terrorism who are herdsmen, and that is a fact. Another fact is that not all of the criminals carrying out all of these attacks from Benue to Enugu are legitimate Fulani herdsmen. You cannot generalize the activities of cattle rustlers and terrorists.

The Fulani herdsmen's spokesman emphasized that if you see any herdsman with an AK47, that is definitely a rustler and there is a war against their activities.

What you're doing is akin to saying all Igbos are drug traffickers, insane.
Re: A Nation, Her People, Her Herdsmen, And Her Press. by omenka(m): 5:30pm On May 02, 2016
9japride:
[color=#006600][/color]

I no insult anyone and me no dey fear them. I gallant well I just dey speak my mind, we all need a peaceful and just society without fear of external attacks from neighbouring tribes men. tongue u think say the people were u dey defend like u? Reason am well
Bro, no be their love I dey look for and I really no care if they like me. What I care about is TRUTH. Once I seek it and speak it, I'm at peace with myself and that very important. If one can't be at peace with oneself, how can they be at peace with the environment which encompasses their neighbour??

Check this out. Today, a thread was created regarding one regurgitated propaganda of Buhari having an agenda to "islamise" (I wonder what that even means) Nigeria and posted a pic of Julian Assange bearing a foreign newspaper that carried the news, the UK guardian.

I did a quick google search, brought out the original picture in which the newspaper he held bore, rather, a story of the war in Afghanistan and where the portrait of Buhari was placed, there was a picture of a US soldier!! The picture was a complete photoshop and the story totally false!!

After posting both pictures side by side, showing the thread is a satanic lie, someone completely ignored the fact the op lied and photoshoped a picture of Assange and rather attacked me over my post!!

Tell me my brother, if na you, wetin you go tell that kind person??

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: A Nation, Her People, Her Herdsmen, And Her Press. by Candyrain(m): 5:32pm On May 02, 2016
omenka:
The comments in that thread you referenced in your article shows how twisted the minds of these people have become.

Could you believe NO ONE noticed or made reference to the strong condemnation issued by the Sultan over the atrocities and the fact that he called on security agencies to track down the perpetrators and bring them to justice- all they cared about was that the Sultan dared to say NOT ALL Fulanis are criminals!!

My question is, what offence did the Sultan commit condemning the crimes, calling for the criminals to be dealt with and insisting not ALL the tribesmen are criminals (which is a statement of truth) that they had to heap such insults on him??

Just look at their comments here, more insults and little or no show of intelligent engagement except the attempt by Luvinhobby for which I'm pleasantly shocked. cheesy

Most of these guys are just overly emotional kids with access to the internet and very poor upbringing.

I guess u and those who share ur warped point of view have poor upbringing and have no respect for human life.

3 Likes

Re: A Nation, Her People, Her Herdsmen, And Her Press. by gunther6(m): 5:32pm On May 02, 2016
I have two questions 1. Are people been murdered in what was supposed to be the safe haven of their community? 2. Are the perpetrators Benin, Ikwerre, Itshekiri, Ilaje or Fulani?

1 Like

Re: A Nation, Her People, Her Herdsmen, And Her Press. by OBAFEMIawolowo: 5:35pm On May 02, 2016
modath:

I get what you are saying but it's looking like they've decided to face Enugu or don't you think so? The kind of brazenness that comes with people getting wind of attacks is alarming....

Agatu, Taraba,Olu Falae, we just woke up one day and the news was everywhere, but the Enugu attack was in the media space 3 days or so prior... I have nothing concrete to go by, just a gut feeling....

S
my friend, a typical igbo man will blow any attack from the north out of proportion just to get international empathy and also to justify what happened during the civil war.

What is happenning in enugu today can't fill half the cup of what happened and still happening in benue and nasarawa.

Over the years the population of igbos on social media has grown enormously and nnamdi kanu also encouraged most igboz to get on the social media, this is why the enuvu attack is so announced, it's not as if they Concentrate attacks in enugu.

You will find it difficult to win igbo in any issue on social media, they are getting involved by the day.

1 Like

Re: A Nation, Her People, Her Herdsmen, And Her Press. by Ngokafor(f): 5:35pm On May 02, 2016
....Oh what a useless thread and an even more useless summations by the op...i should have known that the op is as daft as they come.. embarassed

...off i go jare,nonsense angry

3 Likes

Re: A Nation, Her People, Her Herdsmen, And Her Press. by Candyrain(m): 5:35pm On May 02, 2016
gunther6:
I have two questions 1. Are people been murdered in what was supposed to be the safe haven of their community? 2. Are the perpetrators Benin, Ikwerre, Itshekiri, Ilaje or Fulani?

Good question

1 Like

Re: A Nation, Her People, Her Herdsmen, And Her Press. by omenka(m): 5:37pm On May 02, 2016
Someone says "Buhari's people are killing your people and that is who you are asking us to support."

You see, that is the picture these events are meant to point in our minds, reason why "Fulani" must be attached to all incidences of clashes involving herdsmen!!

They desire us to hate Buhari because "his people" are "killing people".

Comments like this makes the incidences all the more suspicious!

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: A Nation, Her People, Her Herdsmen, And Her Press. by CyberWolf: 5:38pm On May 02, 2016
asha80:
I am not sure how sw,nc and ss are free from this onslaught with your submission in the last paragraph
That's simply to tell you how bias and sentimental they are.

1 Like

Re: A Nation, Her People, Her Herdsmen, And Her Press. by 9japride(m): 5:40pm On May 02, 2016
omenka:
Bro, no be their love I dey look for and I really no care if they like me. What I care about is TRUTH. Once I seek it and speak it, I'm at peace with myself and that very important. If one can't be at peace with oneself, how can they be at peace with the environment which encompasses their neighbour??

Check this out. Today, a thread was created regarding one regurgitated propaganda of Buhari having an agenda to "islamise" (I wonder what that even means) Nigeria and posted a pic of Julian Assange bearing a foreign newspaper that carried the news, the UK guardian.

I did a quick google search, brought out the original picture in which the newspaper he held bore, rather, a story of the war in Afghanistan and where the portrait of Buhari was placed, there was a picture of a US soldier!! The picture was a complete photoshop and the story totally false!!

After posting both pictures side by side, showing the thread is a satanic lie, someone completely ignored the fact the op lied and photoshoped a picture of Assange and rather attacked me over my post!!

[color=#006600][/color]

If that post was false shame on d person that posted it. Though me I don't support falsehood, anyway u playing ur own part to prove a point but in all these let's not be carried away from d true situation on ground. It's unfortunate that we don't have a good forensic dept in this country that should help in resolving the killings rather those in charge of affairs will prefer to play politics. Well done

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: A Nation, Her People, Her Herdsmen, And Her Press. by omenka(m): 5:42pm On May 02, 2016
gunther6:

@ 1. People are being killed in what is meant to be their safe havens. It is our hope the killers are apprehended and dealt with accordingly.

@ 2. We don't know, neither do you. That is why we are saying we should refrain from making such dangerous generalisations as tagging them Fulanis.

We just might be hanging the wrong suspect!!

1 Like

Re: A Nation, Her People, Her Herdsmen, And Her Press. by Candyrain(m): 5:43pm On May 02, 2016
omenka:
Someone says "Buhari's people are killing your people and that is who you are asking us to support."

You see, that is the picture these events are meant to point in our minds, reason why "Fulani" must be attached to all incidences of clashes involving herdsmen!!

They desire us to hate Buhari because "his people" are "killing people".

Comments like this makes the incidences all the more suspicious!

Buhari went to the then governor of Oyo and said to him "Your people are killing my people". Is there any difference between that poster and buhari? What was buhari's motive for making such statement?

9 Likes

Re: A Nation, Her People, Her Herdsmen, And Her Press. by Nobody: 5:44pm On May 02, 2016
Freedom of speech shouldn't be an opportunity for one to display his or her insane mind

2 Likes

Re: A Nation, Her People, Her Herdsmen, And Her Press. by malton: 5:47pm On May 02, 2016
omenka:
All the ammo they have are insults, insults, and more insults.

A little display of intelligent engagement, impossible.
Exepect nothing less from these lots.

Remember it takes brain to be intelligent. You can't get that these people.

They just love to display ignorance out in the open.

1 Like

Re: A Nation, Her People, Her Herdsmen, And Her Press. by omenka(m): 5:49pm On May 02, 2016
9japride:
[color=#006600][/color]

If that post was false shame on d person that posted it. Though me I don't support falsehood, anyway u playing ur own part to prove a point but in all these let's not be carried away from d true situation on ground. It's unfortunate that we don't have a good forensic dept in this country that should help in resolving the killings rather those in charge of affairs will prefer to play politics. Well done
@ bold. God bless you.

Our problems in this country are so vast and deeply rooted that sometimes when I think about them, I feel so dejected!! How much would it cost to set up a modern forensic lab where evidences gathered from crime scenes as these we are talking about could be analysed??

We don't even have a reliable population database!!

What have or leader been doing since 1960??

This is so depressing.

1 Like

Re: A Nation, Her People, Her Herdsmen, And Her Press. by ShineuEye: 5:49pm On May 02, 2016
omenka:

You care about the truth but it seems you don't care about human lives otherwise you said nothing about the attrocities only to speak out for the voiceless Fulanis.
Who speaks for people of Agatu then?

5 Likes

Re: A Nation, Her People, Her Herdsmen, And Her Press. by asha80(m): 5:49pm On May 02, 2016
modath:

S
what happened in Enugu cannot be compared to has been happening around nassarawa,Benue,plateau,taraba axis for the past 4 yrs...the difference is that people of Enugu and people of the same ethnic stock decided to be vocal about what happened in enugu

4 Likes

Re: A Nation, Her People, Her Herdsmen, And Her Press. by Candyrain(m): 5:52pm On May 02, 2016
omenka:

@ 1. People are being killed in what is meant to be their safe havens. It is our hope the killers are apprehended and dealt with accordingly.

@ 2. We don't know, neither do you. That is why we are saying we should refrain from making such dangerous generalisations as tagging them Fulanis.

We just might be hanging the wrong suspect!!

Recently 20 people and 83 cows were killed in Nassarawa and the Fulani came out boldly, without allowing for investigation to be carried out, to state dat Agatu youths were responsible for the killing. I'm still waiting for u to reprimand them for making such generalization and not waiting for proper investigation to be done so the wrong people don't get hanged.

Hypocrite!!!

7 Likes

Re: A Nation, Her People, Her Herdsmen, And Her Press. by wowmenow: 6:01pm On May 02, 2016
Candyrain:

Recently 20 people and 83 cows were killed in Nassarawa and the Fulani came out boldly, without allowing for investigation to be carried out, to state dat Agatu youths were responsible for the killing. I'm still waiting for u to reprimand them for making such generalization and not waiting for proper investigation to be done so the wrong people don't get hanged.

Hypocrite!!!
You just speak my mind the more they try to justify the Fulani herdsmen killings the worse it becomes for them

5 Likes

Re: A Nation, Her People, Her Herdsmen, And Her Press. by Nobody: 6:03pm On May 02, 2016
omenka:
And the bold is exactly part of the problem- people making it appear as though these events just "suddenly" started occurring because Buhari, a Fulani man, is the president. Have you been in Nigeria or you just arrived?? Who told you the herdsmen just "suddenly" started appearing

If my recollection is correct, herdsmen with AK47's is a very recent occurrence. Herdsmen murdering people on a wide scale is a recent occurrence. Inter tribal conflicts and trespassing on farm land has been going on for a longer time.
Re: A Nation, Her People, Her Herdsmen, And Her Press. by ekeneidiagbor: 6:07pm On May 02, 2016
omenka:
Regarding the knotty Grazing Reserve bill, I had this interesting idea I'd like to share.

Igbos, for instance, are known to be adept at commerce. Give them a cent today and they give you a dollar the next day. I was thinking, instead of getting too emotional about the bill trying to put it down with an emotional "they are attempting to take our lands" wail, why don't we suggest that areas across the country be specifically earmarked for Igbos to build shops and carry out their commerce?? cheesy. Think about it, if NASS rejects such a proposal, then they wouldn't even have the moral right to contemplate a grazing bill- and that cleverly KILLS IT without much noise- simple.

We need to be smart about these things.

how can u compare a secondary activity (commerce) with a primitive/primary activity (cattle grazing)...

you left me bewildered at your reasoning faculty by this very post

6 Likes

Re: A Nation, Her People, Her Herdsmen, And Her Press. by CyberWolf: 6:07pm On May 02, 2016
Candyrain:

Hypocrite!!!
That boy is really irredeemable.. I wonder how he sleeps at night?

5 Likes

Re: A Nation, Her People, Her Herdsmen, And Her Press. by fiizznation: 6:09pm On May 02, 2016
Thank you Mr omenka for this wonderful insight and also for the mention. You know at first when this entire herdsmen/farmers fracas started some few months ago, It didn't interest me a bit because I was so indifferent to the entire showdown. I'm a Fulani and I know my people can be violent at times, so I viewed the herdsmen/farmers clash as a normal showdown that has been happening for God knows when. You know curiosity works with every human being and my own curiosity began to to take a tow on me when any act of criminality that happened in the south and some parts of north central were pinned on the herdsmen. That's when my inner self told me something is very fishy somewhere and there was a sinistral plan to labelled the Fulani people{mind you I didn't use herdsmen} as criminals.

If you have been paying attention very closely, you would have noticed that all these reports about the herdsmen started trooping in when the war against boko haram started gaining momentum, and some successful records were achieved. Now an intelligent mind would have asked himself these simple questions which are; where there no herdsmen in Nigeria before buhari became the president? Where there any cordial relationship with all the farmers and the herdsmen before buhari came in? These and many more are the questions I expected "educated" people to ask themselves, but unfortunately none of them is doing that and they still expect everyone to reason on the same faulty line as them.

I can tell you that most of the ignorant people shouting herdsmen have never seen a real herdsman in their entire life before but they are quick to believe that invincible herdsmen committed all the atrocious acts in their lands.

The Enugu invasion finally opened up my eyes that some people are desperately trying to score some political points by attributing every crime to the herdsmen. At first vanguard reports said 500 herdsmen were gathering in an unknown area trying to perpetrate an imminent attack.Now how did vanguard came about with this lie since they couldn't mention the specific area that the herdsmen were gathering. Later vanguard made a u-turn and said it was only 50 herdsmen. I believe everybody said the attacks were carried in the death of the night, then how come vanguard knew the attackers were herdsmen since nobody could see the attackers faces. After the attack was carried out, then the issue of conflicting reports began to sprung up. From 100 houses burn, hundreds killed to 6 people killed, then the number rose to 40 then to 26 then to 15 again. Even at that some people were already floating the entire social medias with fake pictures of the supposed dead people.

There are just many things wrong with the entire herdsmen story but unfortunately I don't just have the time to unravel everything now. Like I will always say, people should be very careful about politicizing paternal issues like this because nobody know how the backlash will be.

Nevertheless I'm not exonerating the herdsmen of some atrocities committed in the south or any part of Nigeria

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: A Nation, Her People, Her Herdsmen, And Her Press. by modath(f): 6:09pm On May 02, 2016
asha80:
what happened in Enugu cannot be compared to has been happening around nassarawa,Benue,plateau,taraba axis for the past 4 yrs...the difference is that people of Enugu and people of the same ethnic stock decided to be vocal about what happened in enugu

I know what's being going on nah, what I meant is that unlike other places that they are caught unawares but in Enugu, it was the reverse... something is amiss..
Re: A Nation, Her People, Her Herdsmen, And Her Press. by Candyrain(m): 6:10pm On May 02, 2016
CyberWolf:
That boy is really irredeemable.. I wonder how he sleeps at night?

I just feel like slapping his brain. Maybe it might reformat.

2 Likes

Re: A Nation, Her People, Her Herdsmen, And Her Press. by CyberWolf: 6:13pm On May 02, 2016
Candyrain:

I just feel like slapping his brain. Maybe it might reformat.
Just watch as he will avoid that question. The worst part is that those Agatu youths are his people, but he will simply turn a blind eye. Fulani people are always first to mention other people even without investigation but once they are paid in their own coin, they go haywire. That's just to show you how barbaric, wicked, inhumane and self-centered those people are.

3 Likes

Re: A Nation, Her People, Her Herdsmen, And Her Press. by GogetterMD(m): 6:14pm On May 02, 2016
omenka:
Good afternoon.

This piece has been a long time coming I'd say. Have been restraining myself from doing this because emotions are at fever pitch at the moment but somehow I reckon if I don't do it today I might never get to do it. Moreso, today's news reports made it all the more imperative to ask some pertinent questions, and perhaps attempt to answer others.

Every opinion herein are strictly the writer's.

Before I go on, I'd like to express my deepest sympathies to all those affected one way or the other by the recent incidences of violence in various parts of the country especially the Middle Belt and the South East. My sincere prayers are with you all. Life is simply too precious to be snuffed out of innocent people just like that.

I hope and pray the perpetrators of these heinous acts of terrorism are apprehended and dealt with accordingly.

Now, since we've dispensed of the necessary preamble, let's get to the meat of the matter as captioned in the title.

Besides the e-uproar over Tiwa and her family issues, there's no gainsaying Fulani Herdsmen has been the word trending online, and to some extent even on the main street. A first timer on earth who happens to stop by Nigeria at this time would think it is some local slang used within political circles- but in reality, it has come to be seen as the greatest problem confronting our dear country- no thanks to our press!!

Growing up as a child, I had my first "conscious" encounter with the Fulanis (take note, I didn't say "herdsmen"wink somewhere within our residential neighbourhood. Before that encounter, anytime we saw them, easily identifiable by their dressings, facial appearance and long braided hairs, we never hesitated to take to our heels because we were told they turn kids to sheep- especially during Christmas season!! We rarely saw them but whenever we did, it was always one heart stopping terrifying experience.... until that fateful day.

We were playing football at a neighbour's. Someone mistakenly kicks it over the fence. I run out to retrieve it and right in front of me stood some lanky dude wearing rubber shoes that looked like football boots, braided hair, very light skinned in an armless shirt with a little embroidery here and there. He had our precious ball cradled in his hands with them stretched forth as if to hand it back over. I froze in my stride, indecisive- a part of me screamed RUN while another subtly egged me to collect it and walk back- I listened to the counsel of the latter voice. It was the BRAVEST thing I did as a kid!! I simply collected the ball, politely thanked him as he nodded his acknowledgement, then I walked away alive and as a human against all previously held beliefs!! cheesy

As I grew older, it became apparent what we believed about the Fulanis was nothing but a childish myth. At some point after we've lost all traces of innocence, we started admiring their women as we patronised them for their "nunu", making suggestive jokes with them. Some of their teens walked about bare chested revealing every damn thing from their waist up as some of us admired the great works of nature lustfully, hoping one day, one would get a chance to handle them.

The myth about the Fulanis was completely obliterated.

Today, so much water has passed under the bridge. Alliances have been built and shattered. Trust has given way to utter suspicion. Friends have become sworn enemies. Babies are being snatched away from their cradle of innocence and imbued with the spirit of hatred and intolerance. Malleable lies are being prepared by the second and fed to a ravenous public which already seems to be suffering from obesity from too much of its consumption- this lethal cocktail is being prepared and served chill by no one else than the Nigerian Press!

When I look at the recent events as they succeed each other with such rapid succession, what I see is some working frantically to reinvent that childhood myth for some yet-to-be-specified purpose, and they have a deadline!

Let us make some things crystal clear at this point:

(A) Not ALL herdsmen are Fulanis!

(B) Not ALL herds of cattle are owned by Fulanis!

(C) Not ALL herds of cattle are owned by the cattle herder. Some of them are purely hired hands working for some big shot, perhaps a politician. Cattle rearing is a hugely profitable business.

It is important that we distinguished these facts because of the torrent of misinformation that is being disseminated to the public.

This said, one then wonders: is the press oblivious of these facts?? Why are they always quick to use the term "Fulani herdsmen"??

How did they get to know alleged attackers were [b]Fulani herdsmen and not herdsmen of some other tribe?? Did they get to interview the attackers before arriving at that conclusion

If they don't get such info from the culprits themselves, would it be illogical if one asks the question: [color=#990000]is there a grand conspiracy to criminalise Fulanis??

I have come across SEVERAL herdsmen in my life and I say this with every ounce of honestly and responsibility in me: I have NEVER seen herdsmen bearing AK-47s my whole life. There are two pictures of herdsmen bearing automatic weapons that have been circulating the web, they (pics) are as old as I can remember and I have seen them a thousand times in the past. But with these recent incidents, they resurfaced and are being used to taint both herdsmen and the President as people ask why should Buhari allow them bear arms- is it because they are Fulanis??

Two days after the Enugu incident, another similar incident was reported by Daily trust (I think). The title was boldly captioned "Another Fulani herdsmen attack in Enugu" but within that same story, under that same headline, the same writer/reporter said it was just a scare and nothing happened!!!

If it was "just a scare" and "nothing happened", why did they still go ahead to run the story with such a headline??!!

[b]Today, 02/05/2016, Vanguard is reporting an imminent attack as "Fulani herdsmen are massing at some remote part of Enugu to launch another attack on the community attacked last week due to the high success rate (deaths) recorded in the last", and folks seem to have swallowed the story hook, line and sinker with NO QUESTIONS asked- save for a few posters like Modath!

From the story as published by vanguard, shouldn't one ask:

I. Where did Vanguard get her information??

II. Has this information been shared with the security agencies??

III. Have the people at vanguard privy to the location where the "Fulanis" are massing to "re-launch an attack" offered to take the security personnel to location so the "murderers" can be rounded up and taken into custody??

IV. When "Fulanis" are sighted gathering together, does it mean they are "planning to attack and kill people??

V. How is Vanguard sure the people seen there (if the report is anything to go by) are Fulanis??

VI. Doesn't the report read like it is already preparing the minds of people as to whom to blame when Vanguard's "Fulanis" eventually launch an attack??

VII. Most importantly, doesn't it prick the mind THIS REPORT MIGHT BE MEANT JUST TO CREATE A DIVERSION FOR SECURITY PERSONNEL DEPLOYED IN THE ENTIRE AREA SO SOFT TARGET BEING WATCHED COULD BECOME EASY PICKINGS FOR WHOEVER IT IS THAT ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR THIS MADNESS!!??

Aren't these questions worth asking knowing vanguard's position especially as regards events concerning SE Nigeria?? Are we meant to all at once jettison reason and logic based on mundane sentiments even though we understand what a pluralistic society we live in with as many divergent interests as our faces.[/b]

Think about that people.

At this juncture, a few nairaland threads are worthy of mention:

1. www.nairaland.com/3075767/delta-monarch-gives-fulani-herdsmen

2. www.nairaland.com/3079408/fulani-herdsmen-enter-abuja-farm

3. www.nairaland.com/3079244/enugu-massacre-northern-govs-under

4. www.nairaland.com/3077851/it-insult-label-fulanis-criminals

Now, when you go through the contents of these threads with a clear unbiased mind, you cannot but wonder: what is really going on??

@ 1. Is the order of expulsion of "Fulani herdsmen" by the Delta Monarch appropriate?? If one were to predicate such decisions on the logic of this monarch, can we then say it is appropriate ALL Hausa mechanics be expelled from, say, Benue state because one or two or three of them killed an Idoma boy?? Think about that.

@ 2. A twitter user posted a picture allegedly showing cattle grazing on a piece of cultivated farmland and boldly captioned it Fulanis in Abuja![/b] How did the user know they were "Fulanis" I was disappointed when some opposition posters couldn't raise that question.

@ 3. Someone tell me in all honesty, what is wrong with the position taken by the governors who are essentially asking that all Fulanis shouldn't be labelled as criminals?? Memories of how some Nigerians reacted when it was alleged the president called us all "criminals" are still fresh on or minds.

What difference is there in the position taken by the governors regarding Fulanis and the position taken then by Nigerians regarding the president's alleged statement

@ 4. The Sultanate was just reiterating the position of the Northern governors.

When one puts all these together, a sinister pattern starts to form and it is very obvious. The public is being programmed towards arriving at a pre-arranged destination and how fast they are sprinting towards it!!

The people this writer suspects were behind the viscous attacks on the president over Boko Haram insurgency before the elections, desperate to taint his image by tagging him a sponsor, might have re-emerged out of the woodworks to sell another dummy to the public since the war in the North East is largely being won to his (Buhari's) credit.

1. They want people to still believe Buhari is an ethnic/religious fundamentalist and that explains why there's been an "upsurge" in incidences of "Fulani" attacks after he became president.

2. They want to dull the most visible sheen of his admin since ground work is still being laid to confront the economy itself as things don't seem to be working presently.

Someone says: ..and I totally agree with them!

Whose purpose is the press serving??

I urge us all to take a few steps back to examine the emerging portrait on this giant canvas- it always makes more meaning when we do.

I am a half middle belt, half South South man.

I'm an unapologetic fan of Nigeria's president and I love my country than you can ever imagine.

#ThinkNigerians!!

Thank you all.

Ps: I expect a lot of insults from this as what I just did challenges and runs afoul of what is seemingly currently generally acceptable which is that "Fulanis are demons". But as I've shown time and time again, insults won't deter from doing what my conscience tells me is the right thing to do.

Some will be ignored while others will be reported to the mods.

God bless you all.
He who has ears let them hear. It's left for the "intelligent" ponder about.

When ex-president Goodluck Jonathan commented that his brethren was not responsible for the Oct 1, and someone in South Africa later claimed responsibility, all hell wasn't let loose

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

INEC Clears Ize-iyamu, Obaseki, 17 Others For Edo Guber Poll. / Nigeria’s Corruption Caused Buhari’s Ill Health – Umenzekwe, APC Chieftain / BREAKING!!! Biafra: Nig Army Finally Breaks Into IPOB Leader Palace Now video

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 126
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.