Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,168,873 members, 7,872,889 topics. Date: Thursday, 27 June 2024 at 02:25 AM

A Thread For Nigerian Secular Philosophy! - Religion (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / A Thread For Nigerian Secular Philosophy! (35492 Views)

One Hallelujah Records Will Not Partner With Secular Artistes – RCCG / Why Do Jehovah's Witnesses Prefer Secular Music To Gospel Music? / Can I Listen To Secular Music/clubbing And Still Be A Devoted Christian? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) ... (23) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A Thread For Nigerian Secular Philosophy! by Nobody: 2:41pm On May 05, 2016
SirWere:

The "lion story" is a story I used to explain that the brain can think
for itself without a "controller".

You seem to miss the point. I did not claim that a brain independent of a body can think (or is even feasible).

I'm simply asking where you stand in the order of things.

Ok, let me ask in a different way

Do you just exist as a "presence" inside your brain cells?( are you a brain?)

OR

Do you own your brain

I await answer, WITH EXPLAINATIONS smileysmileysmiley
The analogy doesn't really work. Why does the brain need a body to execute itself if it's all there's? It is not all there's and that's why it can't think by itself. There's nothing really different between your brain and a phone's internal memory card. The phone can't install anything or use any software without it and the memory itself cannot gather data by itself. Now why should any person say either a particular component is the phone?

No, I don't exist as a presence inside my brain. Almost all brains look the same and if I'm to exist as a presence in it it shouldn't be same brains for all of us. There's this immaterial entity using these accessories. Yes, I own a brain. Now tell me, will a human being die if his brain is removed?
Re: A Thread For Nigerian Secular Philosophy! by dblackninja: 2:45pm On May 05, 2016
SirWere:

I created on thread on that.
It's titled "where am I"
So you want me to go to your thread and see the answer? Chai see Nigerian strategy grin
Well am teleporting there now chaa.
Okay I have seen your other reply. It's funny though..Which one will actually be right?? I think am a brain! But wait A brain is not actually complete without other parts..I think I have a brain
Re: A Thread For Nigerian Secular Philosophy! by Nobody: 2:47pm On May 05, 2016
dblackninja:

I believe where SirWere is driving at is this:
If you Rey and me undergo a brain transplant, will who you're are become me and vice versa? Will you move with your brain? If yes then you're a brain.
But is it so? I don't think we've established that yet. Humans are still scared of the implications.
Re: A Thread For Nigerian Secular Philosophy! by JackBizzle: 2:50pm On May 05, 2016
YASSSS!

We made 10 pages! We are the happening thread!

Good work, guys!

In other news, Captain America; Civil war comes out today!!! grin grin grin grin

cc; Dblackninja, sirwere, wirinet, reyginus, johnnydon, kingebukasblog, joseph1832, hahn, urahara

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: A Thread For Nigerian Secular Philosophy! by Nobody: 2:50pm On May 05, 2016
Reyginus:
The analogy doesn't really work. Why does the brain need a body to execute itself if it's all there's? It is not all there's and that's why it can't think by itself. There's nothing really different between your brain and a phone's internal memory card. The phone can't install anything or use any software without it and the memory itself cannot gather data by itself. Now why should any person say either a particular component is the phone?

No, I don't exist as a presence inside my brain. Almost all brains look the same and if I'm to exist as a presence in it it shouldn't be same brains for all of us. There's this immaterial entity using these accessories. Yes, I own a brain.

So, if you have a brain transplant right now, would you "switch bodies" or remain in your original body

Think deep.
Now tell me, will a human being die if his brain is removed?

Wha? Tell me you just finished smoked dulardin.ho weed when you wrote this angry
Re: A Thread For Nigerian Secular Philosophy! by Nobody: 2:55pm On May 05, 2016
JackBizzle:
YASSSS!

Good work, guys!

In other news, Captain America; Civil war comes out today!!! grin grin grin grin

cc; Dblackninja, sirwere, wirinet, reyginus, johnnydon, kingebukasblog, joseph1832, hahn, urahara

Judging from Batman and Superman,
Superhero comics are getty real crappy sadsadsadsad
Re: A Thread For Nigerian Secular Philosophy! by dblackninja: 2:55pm On May 05, 2016
Reyginus:
But is it so? I don't think we've established that yet. Humans are still scared of the implications.
I have seen two-joined brain separated. But that's not the logic here. Look at SirWere's question again cheesy
Re: A Thread For Nigerian Secular Philosophy! by dblackninja: 2:58pm On May 05, 2016
JackBizzle:
YASSSS!

Good work, guys!

Hehe I was tempted to watch the Camrip as of last wk. But I decided to have patience. Now waiting for the Blu-ray or any other better version cool
Re: A Thread For Nigerian Secular Philosophy! by Nobody: 2:59pm On May 05, 2016
dblackninja:

So you want me to go to your thread and see the answer? Chai see Nigerian strategy grin
Well am teleporting there now chaa.
Okay I have seen your other reply. It's funny though..Which one will actually be right?? I think am a brain! But wait A brain is not actually complete without other parts..I think I have a brain
grin grin.
You can see why this question will have many philosophical underpinnings even though it's almost certainly scientifically impossible sadsadsadsad:"(
Re: A Thread For Nigerian Secular Philosophy! by dblackninja: 3:05pm On May 05, 2016
SirWere:

My brother you're really missing a lot. I hope you're are not the Nollywood is the best type cheesy
Re: A Thread For Nigerian Secular Philosophy! by dblackninja: 3:07pm On May 05, 2016
SirWere:

grin grin.
You can see why this question will have many philosophical underpinnings even though it's almost certainly scientifically impossible sadsadsadsad:"(
Seriously...but am sure of one thing Reyginus is a brain lol grin
Re: A Thread For Nigerian Secular Philosophy! by Nobody: 3:10pm On May 05, 2016
SirWere:

So, if you have a brain transplant right now, would you "switch bodies" or remain in your original body

Think deep.

Wha? Tell me you just finished smoked dulardin.ho weed when you wrote this angry
I don't know what's going to happen. You can tell me if you know while you explain the science behind it.

It's not weed. Let me paraphrase. Why does the brain die minutes after the body is dead? Why isn't a direct shot or collapse of the brain the cause of death? Why should injuries lead to the death of a person if the person is solely the brain?
Re: A Thread For Nigerian Secular Philosophy! by Nobody: 3:11pm On May 05, 2016
dblackninja:

Seriously...but am sure of one thing Reyginus is a brain lol grin
gringrin Hahahahaha.
You just want to wake trouble.
Re: A Thread For Nigerian Secular Philosophy! by Nobody: 3:11pm On May 05, 2016
dblackninja:

I have seen two-joined brain separated. But that's not the logic here. Look at SirWere's question again cheesy
So what happened? shared memories?
Re: A Thread For Nigerian Secular Philosophy! by Nobody: 3:13pm On May 05, 2016
dblackninja:

My brother you're really missing a lot. I hope you're are not the Nollywood is the best type cheesy

Nah...... I'm a manga fan tonguetonguetongue

And Batman vs Superman was fucki.ng stupid and dumb. One wonders what the mess was going through their mind.
Re: A Thread For Nigerian Secular Philosophy! by dblackninja: 3:19pm On May 05, 2016
Reyginus:
So what happened? shared memories?
Honestly I don't know cause this was done when there were still tender.
Re: A Thread For Nigerian Secular Philosophy! by dblackninja: 3:23pm On May 05, 2016
SirWere:

Nah...... I'm a manga fan tonguetonguetongue

And Batman vs Superman was fucki.ng stupid and dumb. One wonders what the mess was going through their mind.
Manga is cool chaa.
You just murdered my 2 great movies Diaris Godoooh cry
Re: A Thread For Nigerian Secular Philosophy! by Nobody: 3:28pm On May 05, 2016
Reyginus:
I don't know what's going to happen. You can tell me if you know while you explain the science behind it.

That's the thing. We do not know since it is almost certainly impossible sadsadsadsad.

Remember, the reason I mentioned it was because the original idea about brain transplant started( or was publicized) out as a sci-fi(horror) novel

It's not weed. Let me paraphrase. Why does the brain die minutes after the body is dead? Why isn't a direct shot or collapse of the brain the cause of death? Why should injuries lead to the death of a person if the person is solely the brain?

Ahh, actually, what happens then are just random neuron firings. No special thing/big deal.
Re: A Thread For Nigerian Secular Philosophy! by dblackninja: 3:28pm On May 05, 2016
I just saw a funny thread now.. What Are Muslim Women Promised In Paradise?
Does anybody, who have read the Quran, know the answer? Or are the women not given any special value like the men?
Re: A Thread For Nigerian Secular Philosophy! by joseph1832(m): 4:47pm On May 05, 2016
SirWere:

LOL. I'll say DC comics adaptation into movies is crappy. Marvel seems to be doing pretty well.

Have you seen, Justice League Vs Teen Titans? Its a cartoon adaptation.
Re: A Thread For Nigerian Secular Philosophy! by JackBizzle: 5:06pm On May 05, 2016
joseph1832:
LOL. I'll say DC comics adaptation into movies is crappy. Marvel seems to be doing pretty well.

Have you seen, Justice League Vs Teen Titans? Its a cartoon adaptation.

Son of batman (Damien) is a d1ckhead! Soo annoying.

Did you notice that the bad guy was satan by another name?
Re: A Thread For Nigerian Secular Philosophy! by JackBizzle: 5:09pm On May 05, 2016
dblackninja:
Does anybody, who have read the Quran, know the answer? Or are the women not given any special value like the men?

When heaven is described in Islam, it is mostly addressed to the men-

-houri (female beings) that are beautiful
-Rivers of wine
-Sex

Although, I remember a muslim scholar saying that there are certain deeds women can do to get rewards in heaven. This is as far as I know.

cc Rilwayne001
Re: A Thread For Nigerian Secular Philosophy! by JackBizzle: 5:12pm On May 05, 2016
SirWere:

WRONG!!

It is just DC movies and Jack Snyder (director)

The previous 3 batman movies were masterpieces- Christopher Nolan is a genius.

-------------------

The rest of the marvel movies were amazing- Captain America, Thor, Avengers, Deadpool.
Re: A Thread For Nigerian Secular Philosophy! by Nobody: 5:13pm On May 05, 2016
ROBO COP THE MOVIE KIND OF EXPLAIN THIS BRAIN STUFF
Re: A Thread For Nigerian Secular Philosophy! by JackBizzle: 5:18pm On May 05, 2016
dblackninja:

Manga is cool chaa.
You just murdered my 2 great movies Diaris Godoooh cry

Sharap! grin

Batman Superman was rubbish. The previous 3 Batman movies were masterpieces (The Dark Knight)! Superman movies usually suck.
Re: A Thread For Nigerian Secular Philosophy! by Nobody: 5:18pm On May 05, 2016
dblackninja:
MEN ARE PROMISED 72 VIRGINS NOW LOOK IT FROM THE VIRGIN FEMALES SIDE OF VIEW AND U WILL GET THE ANSA
Re: A Thread For Nigerian Secular Philosophy! by joseph1832(m): 5:20pm On May 05, 2016
JackBizzle:

Son of batman (Damien) is a d1ckhead! Soo annoying.

Did you notice that the bad guy was satan by another name?
LOL. I wouldn't call Damien (Robin) a dick head, I'll call him a hothead.

Yea I noticed that, the valid point was that he got whooped!. Lol.
Re: A Thread For Nigerian Secular Philosophy! by JackBizzle: 5:22pm On May 05, 2016
Lilbrown007:
ROBO COP THE MOVIE KIND OF EXPLAIN THIS BRAIN STUFF

Which robocop?

The 1987 original or the 2014 remake?
Re: A Thread For Nigerian Secular Philosophy! by JackBizzle: 5:24pm On May 05, 2016
joseph1832:
LOL. I wouldn't call Damien (Robin) a dick head, I'll call him a hothead.

Yea I noticed that, the valid point was that he got whooped!. Lol.

I just hate the guy. Thinks he is better than everyone else. I liked it when the Scarab guy (the boy with a bug on his back) burnt his face.
Re: A Thread For Nigerian Secular Philosophy! by Rilwayne001: 5:24pm On May 05, 2016
dblackninja:

The answer in right there in the thread, doesn't matter if you choose to ignore it.. undecided
Re: A Thread For Nigerian Secular Philosophy! by Nobody: 5:29pm On May 05, 2016
JackBizzle:

Which robocop?
The 1987 original or the 2014 remake?
Re: A Thread For Nigerian Secular Philosophy! by JackBizzle: 5:30pm On May 05, 2016
Rilwayne001:

The answer in right there in the thread, doesn't matter if you choose to ignore it.. undecided

Lies. Post the answer here or answer it yourself. grin grin grin

You know the drill na....you're not a learner wink

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) ... (23) (Reply)

Lucifer Is Married To Rihanna & Ladygaga - Pastor Tells Her Church Members(video / The "Small Sin" That Will Send The Most People To Hell-fire. / Shiloh 2019: Oyedepo Slams Buhari’s Govt Over "Hate Speech" Bill

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.