Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,204,097 members, 7,987,864 topics. Date: Monday, 28 October 2024 at 06:40 PM

Why Exactly Are Certain Areas Of London Called "little Lagos" - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Why Exactly Are Certain Areas Of London Called "little Lagos" (750 Views)

Why Does It Seem Africans Are Ashamed Of London Burning? / Pictures Of London Riot Looters! / New Mayor of London Boris Johnson is Racist? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Exactly Are Certain Areas Of London Called "little Lagos" by papas: 1:53pm On Aug 11, 2009
Well I came across this recent report on the BBC news page with what seems to be the reporter stating that  -"Little Lagos" was coined in reference to high crime levels in the area called Thamesmead.

I oppose the notion that Lagos is widely associated with high crime levels, such that areas with high levels of crime can then be called 'Little Lagos'.
Lagos done suffer!!!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/8193884.stm
Re: Why Exactly Are Certain Areas Of London Called "little Lagos" by GEW: 1:56pm On Aug 11, 2009
papas:

Well I came across this recent report on the BBC news page with what seems to be the reporter stating that -"Little Lagos" was coined in reference to high crime levels in the area called Thamesmead.

My question dear brethren is, does Little Lagos refer to the high presence of Nigerians in this area and other areas of London? Or is the reporter or whoever it is right?

Some negative stereotyping is clearly oozing out of this report. What do informed brethren have to say?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/8193884.stm
more likely crime rates
Re: Why Exactly Are Certain Areas Of London Called "little Lagos" by MrCrackles(m): 2:00pm On Aug 11, 2009
Topic
I guess it is the way of life around those areas. . . . .Lagos-Like if you know what i mean! wink
Re: Why Exactly Are Certain Areas Of London Called "little Lagos" by papas: 2:21pm On Aug 11, 2009
Lagos is not synonymous with crime in my opinion.

(1) (Reply)

Chinese Rating Agency Strips Western Nations Of Aaa Status / Letter To Obama On Libya / US Marine Anti-terrorism Team Heads To Libya

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.