Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,170,626 members, 7,878,806 topics. Date: Wednesday, 03 July 2024 at 07:21 AM

EFCC Visits Sterling Bank And Udenwa Grilled Over Campaign Funds - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / EFCC Visits Sterling Bank And Udenwa Grilled Over Campaign Funds (6562 Views)

Female Students Arrested In Akwa Ibom Over Campaign Mobilization Fee. Photos / $50m Loot: DG NIA diverted Gej's 2015 Campaign Funds- Deji Adeyanju / EFCC Arrests Achike Udenwa - Dumebiifeanyi.com (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

EFCC Visits Sterling Bank And Udenwa Grilled Over Campaign Funds by Adesiji77: 5:47am On May 05, 2016
The operatives of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission on Wednesday stormed the headquarters of Sterling Bank Plc in Lagos for an undisclosed investigation.

One of our correspondents gathered that the operatives of the anti-graft agency quizzed the Managing Director of the bank, Mr. Yemi Adeola, for over two hours, but the details were not disclosed.

When contacted on the development, officials of the bank refused to confirm or deny the visit by the EFCC operatives.

As of 9pm on Wednesday, the anti-graft agency had yet to give any explanation for its action.

Meanwhile, the EFCC has interrogated a former Governor of Imo State, Achike Udenwa, for allegedly receiving N350m from the Director of Finance, Goodluck Jonathan Campaign Organisation, Senator Nenadi Usman.

The money was said to have emanated from the account of the Central Bank of Nigeria.

About N4bn was deposited into the account of Usman who then disbursed the money to several politicians during the build-up to the 2015 presidential election.

According to sources at the EFCC, both Udenwa and a former Minister of State Foreign Affairs, Viola Onwuliri, got N350m in two tranches.

The first tranche of N150m was allegedly paid into their joint account with Zenith bank on January 13, 2015 while the second tranche of N200m was credited into their account with Diamond Bank.

A reliable source at the anti-graft agency confirmed to our correspondent on the telephone that Udenwa was quizzed but added that he had since been released.

“Udenwa was invited on Tuesday and was quizzed for several hours. He was, however, released around 9pm and he cooperated fully with us,” he said.

Udenwa, while speaking with our correspondent on the telephone, confirmed that he was questioned by EFCC detectives.

He also said he received N350m but stated that the money was used solely for the purpose of campaigning for Jonathan.

“I was not arrested by the EFCC. I simply honoured an invitation. I told them what I have always said. During the build-up to the election, we opened a joint account and N350m was paid into the account and the money was used for the campaign.

“We did not embezzle the money. The money was well managed.”

The PUNCH had reported in March that Usman, on the instructions of a former Chairman of the Peoples Democratic Party Board of Trustees, Chief Tony Anenih, transferred different sums of money to several individuals and interest groups during the build-up to the last general elections.

Usman allegedly transferred money to several persons through the bank account of a company, Joint Trust Dimension Nigeria Limited.

Through the said account, the Director of Publicity of the Jonathan Campaign Organisation, Chief Femi Fani-Kayode, received N840m.

http://www.punchng.com/efcc-visits-sterling-bank-grills-udenwa-campaign-funds/

2 Likes

Re: EFCC Visits Sterling Bank And Udenwa Grilled Over Campaign Funds by chriskosherbal(m): 5:59am On May 05, 2016
The fear of today's EFCC is the beginning of wisdom. I like the way they perform thier duties these days.

7 Likes

Re: EFCC Visits Sterling Bank And Udenwa Grilled Over Campaign Funds by OlujobaSamuel: 6:05am On May 05, 2016
all this bank dem. dey have no ethics in their day to day business. they so anything anyhow they wish. I see banks going distress by early next year.

1 Like

Re: EFCC Visits Sterling Bank And Udenwa Grilled Over Campaign Funds by maryjan8(f): 6:09am On May 05, 2016
Good job EFCC

5 Likes

Re: EFCC Visits Sterling Bank And Udenwa Grilled Over Campaign Funds by bokohaman: 11:34am On May 05, 2016
The anti corruption war continues. There will be no peace for the wicked.....

1 Like

Re: EFCC Visits Sterling Bank And Udenwa Grilled Over Campaign Funds by MadCow1: 11:34am On May 05, 2016
Sweet...

Rochas must be sweating from his nutsack by now.
Re: EFCC Visits Sterling Bank And Udenwa Grilled Over Campaign Funds by gimbayaro(m): 11:34am On May 05, 2016
with the way EFCC storm into pples offices and houses...Nigeria would not have private foreign inv3stors coming into this country....the embarrassment is too much....Buhari and the zombies.... EFCC are not acting professional in there duties...learn from developed countries please...
Re: EFCC Visits Sterling Bank And Udenwa Grilled Over Campaign Funds by steppin: 11:35am On May 05, 2016
All the EFCC does is to grill and set people free. What's with the unnecessary distraction from this government?
It's so annoying.

1 Like

Re: EFCC Visits Sterling Bank And Udenwa Grilled Over Campaign Funds by MadCow1: 11:35am On May 05, 2016
OlujobaSamuel:
all this bank dem. dey have no ethics in their day to day business. they so anything anyhow they wish. I see banks going distress by early next year.

Wetin the banks do you?

Na offence to hold people money again?

5 Likes

Re: EFCC Visits Sterling Bank And Udenwa Grilled Over Campaign Funds by Nobody: 11:35am On May 05, 2016
Amazing visit....next should be the underlisted banks:

- Z
- M
- G
- H
- F
- U

4 Likes

Re: EFCC Visits Sterling Bank And Udenwa Grilled Over Campaign Funds by justmenoni: 11:36am On May 05, 2016
for wizard,una no dey tire abi he get wetin oga seun dey pay una for this ftc? guess you're jobless?

gimbayaro:
w
Re: EFCC Visits Sterling Bank And Udenwa Grilled Over Campaign Funds by Pavore9: 11:37am On May 05, 2016
According to sources at the EFCC, both Udenwa and a former Minister of State Foreign Affairs, Viola Onwuliri, got N350m in two tranches. The first tranche of N150m was allegedly paid into their joint account with Zenith bank on January 13, 2015 while the second tranche of N200m was credited into their account with Diamond Bank.......I did not benefit even one naira from the N350m, why should l scream witch and wizard hunting?

1 Like

Re: EFCC Visits Sterling Bank And Udenwa Grilled Over Campaign Funds by Deen77: 11:37am On May 05, 2016
chriskosherbal:
The fear of today's EFCC is the beginning of wisdom. I like the way they perform thier duties these days.

No nation is corruption free but need reduction.
Re: EFCC Visits Sterling Bank And Udenwa Grilled Over Campaign Funds by buharisbae(f): 11:37am On May 05, 2016
efcc the toothless bull dog tongue
Re: EFCC Visits Sterling Bank And Udenwa Grilled Over Campaign Funds by handie(m): 11:38am On May 05, 2016
Conversation between a politician and a banker before May 29 2015:
Politician: Hello, is this the MD of ....... Bank?
Banker: Yes. Pls who am I speaking with?
Politician: This is chief Dr. Alhaji Otunba ........ The campaign director to the president.
Banker : *switches to a more respectful tone* Ah! Good afternoon sir.
Politician: Good afternoon, I want you to open an account for me.
Banker: Ok sir. Let me call one of my account officers to take charge of the proceedings
Politician: That won't be needed. I want YOU to personally open and manage this account for me.
Banker: But why sir?
Politician: It involves a huge sum of money..... About 500 million Naira *banker's eyes pops out on the other end*
Banker: Ok sir. I understand. But won't the EFCC and other regulatory agencies question this transaction?
Politician: Don't worry about that. STEALING IS NOT CORRUPTION. Come over to my house at 9PM to pick up the money.
Banker: Ok sir. My regards to madam and the children.
Conversation between a politician and a banker after May 29 2015. *After all the introductions*
Politician: I want to make a deposit and I want u to personally take charge of it.
Banker: Ah! Oga ejor ema ko ba mi o! There's a new sheriff in town and under this sheriff, STEALING IS NOW CORRUPTION O. Abeg I no wan sleep for EFCC cell o. If u wanna make a transaction with this bank, pls go through the proper channels.
Call it witch or wizard hunting, this anti-corruption fight can only bring sanity to the financial sector. I love this old soldier from Daura

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: EFCC Visits Sterling Bank And Udenwa Grilled Over Campaign Funds by Burger01(m): 11:40am On May 05, 2016
EFCC grills, EFCC quizes, EFCC this, EFCC that... enough of these shaiiits already. Convict and sentence a scapegoat to death by hanging..biko. angry
Re: EFCC Visits Sterling Bank And Udenwa Grilled Over Campaign Funds by OlujobaSamuel: 11:44am On May 05, 2016
MadCow1:

Wetin the banks do you?

Na offence to hold people money again?
no be offence ooo, but mehn, those banks can just deduct anything deductible from you. Do you know if you have a dispense error on a 3rd party atm, you will still pay the #65 even when machine don debit you, sometimes, you even get alert twice, you pay for all at #4 each when we have bulk sms at about 50k per unit. I paid online at PM rate, there was reason for refund and the gave me back at official rate.
Re: EFCC Visits Sterling Bank And Udenwa Grilled Over Campaign Funds by DeltaOil: 11:44am On May 05, 2016
[size=14pt]Na Only Southerners these people dey harass oh

Those from the North are never arrested instead they arrest their offices.
[/size]

BORNO HOUSE OF ASSEMBLY OFFICES GETS ARRESTED INSTEAD OF THE MEMBERS

http://dailypost.ng/2016/01/26/efcc-seals-borno-house-of-assembly-over-allegations-of-corruption/

[size=14pt]they only arrest southerners Assembly Members from Ekiti state and never their office
[/size]

http://dailypost.ng/2016/03/05/ekiti-house-raises-alarm-over-dss-invasion-of-assembly-abduction-of-members/

SAMBO'S OFFICE GETS ARRESTED INSTEAD OF SAMBO

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2016/02/dasukigate-efcc-raids-ex-vp-sambos-office/

[size=14pt]
For the South the people are arrested NOT their offices like Olisha Methuh[/size]

1 Like

Re: EFCC Visits Sterling Bank And Udenwa Grilled Over Campaign Funds by gimbayaro(m): 11:45am On May 05, 2016
justmenoni:
for wizard,una no dey tire abi he get wetin oga seun dey pay una for this ftc? guess you're jobless?

na Awawa or agbero boy you be? mumuye
Re: EFCC Visits Sterling Bank And Udenwa Grilled Over Campaign Funds by gurunlocker: 11:49am On May 05, 2016
Is the government trying to say their own campaign was funded with their personal Salary?

6 Likes

Re: EFCC Visits Sterling Bank And Udenwa Grilled Over Campaign Funds by MakeWeTalk: 12:11pm On May 05, 2016
B00hari & co are really maltreating the south.

And they want the south to remain with them. angry

They hate the south and yet wont let them go peacefully.

1 Like

Re: EFCC Visits Sterling Bank And Udenwa Grilled Over Campaign Funds by Omonigeriarere: 1:16pm On May 05, 2016
Burger01:
EFCC grills, EFCC quizes, EFCC this, EFCC that... enough of these shaiiits already. Convict and sentence a scapegoat to death by hanging..biko. angry

Conviction and death sentence without follow due process nor regards to the constitution? This is a democratic and not autocratic setting. Even with this, wailer called PMB dictatorship not to talk of when he doesn't have regards for legality.

Get it right.
Re: EFCC Visits Sterling Bank And Udenwa Grilled Over Campaign Funds by smogup: 1:24pm On May 05, 2016
EFCC help me close DAT fooooolish Sterling Bank. When they are ready to work then they should come back. Just imagine me going to three Sterling Banks and all don't have network.

1 Like

Re: EFCC Visits Sterling Bank And Udenwa Grilled Over Campaign Funds by infogenius(m): 1:38pm On May 05, 2016
When will EFFCC Grill Buhari over campaign funds na?

1 Like

Re: EFCC Visits Sterling Bank And Udenwa Grilled Over Campaign Funds by viktoooh: 2:42pm On May 05, 2016
What is holding the Efcc from quizzing Ameachi,Aregbesola,Fashola,Tinubu on how they got their fund for Buhari's campaigns. These are all trial by media which Lai Mohammed is masterminding. No one is convicted at d end of d day.

1 Like

Re: EFCC Visits Sterling Bank And Udenwa Grilled Over Campaign Funds by osita76(m): 5:04pm On May 05, 2016
Adesiji77:

http://www.punchng.com/efcc-visits-sterling-bank-grills-udenwa-campaign-funds/
My question is and will always remain this how did APC fund their own presidential campaign? Is it only PDP campaign funds is being probed? this is only but a case of misplaced priority this is purely witch hunting that portrays this administration into bad light,it's about the time this administration focuses on the issue of how to better the sufferings of the Nigerian masses
Re: EFCC Visits Sterling Bank And Udenwa Grilled Over Campaign Funds by chuose: 12:53pm On May 09, 2016
k

(1) (Reply)

Wow! See The Weapons allegedly Manufactured By The Eastern Security Network! / Is This Brazilian Girl Tripping Over Our Old Ten Naira note? / Ikoyi Building Collapse: Sanwo-Olu Adopts White Paper Report

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.