Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,170,603 members, 7,878,736 topics. Date: Wednesday, 03 July 2024 at 04:47 AM

My Mother Doesn't Want Me To Date Ghanaian Guys! - Romance (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / My Mother Doesn't Want Me To Date Ghanaian Guys! (5148 Views)

Is This Why He Doesn't Want To Propose? / When Your Mother Doesn't Want To Talk To You? / Does My Ex Want Me Back Or Am I Being Used? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Mother Doesn't Want Me To Date Ghanaian Guys! by ZuluNation(m): 3:13am On Nov 21, 2006
Sorry to go offtopic, it's a little boring to me.

Just came into this thread to tell ThiefOfHeart that her pic is banging(HOT) for some reason you looking like someone I know.

Sorry folks for crashing into your little thread, Now that I've gotten that off my chest, I better go sit in my little corner and keep my mouth zipped.
Re: My Mother Doesn't Want Me To Date Ghanaian Guys! by ThiefOfHearts(f): 3:29am On Nov 21, 2006
Is that "someone I know" supposed to be a pickup line? tongue

either way, thanks.
Re: My Mother Doesn't Want Me To Date Ghanaian Guys! by ZuluNation(m): 3:31am On Nov 21, 2006
I swear that was not a pick up line, I would never use a lame pick up line like that. Come on now cheesy

Hey you welcome. lipsrsealed
Re: My Mother Doesn't Want Me To Date Ghanaian Guys! by yaaataa(f): 4:25pm On Nov 21, 2006
@Superman you seem like an intelligent man however, i do not totally agree with you.
I'm not saying that there is no beef, because there is. Infact, My Grandfather and Grandma hate Nigerians not because they are jealous of them (they have done pretty well from theirselves) but because they have had loads of bad experiences with Nigerians, so they paint all Nigerians with one brush - which i do not do. However my parents are sort of liberal, so they don't really care who i marry (maybe except for white LOL). You say that Africa cannot do without Nigeria ? I think it can- you make it sound like its doing extremely well ( like on the level of the western countries)-  Remember its not about the size of the country (without all the corruption, Nigeria has the potential but that is what is stopping Nigeria and other Afrrican countries from rising) Lets be real for a second. Fact remains, Nigeria is still classed as a third world country like Ghana is and the only way Africa can rise - is if African countries help one another.  Ghana's living standard is slightly better. How do i know this? From my development studies class, it was part of my coursework to research this aspect (and guess what? my lecturer is a Nigerian man). Yes its true that the English discriminate against the Irish, scottish, Eastern Europeans - but do you see them creating threads about it and taking it to the extreme? which makes us look even more ridiculous. They also marry one another too, its not as tribalistic as how Ghanaians and Nigerians (and other African countries) act towards one another.In fact we are more racist towards one another, which makes racists look like angels and saints.

I also think its wrong to belittle other African countries and make it sound like Nigeria is better than the rest (its kind of an understatement in reality). There is nothing wrong with being proud of who you are but when you start thinking your better than the rest - thats when i have a problem. There is a difference between being proud and being too proud, to the point that it is arrogant. All i am saying, is that i do not discriminate against Nigerians (and have no problem with them nor do my African or Carribean friends) Life is just too short and these attitudes are not helping us as a people to survive. The hostility is there, but i choose not to  participate in the tribalistic mentality that some Africans have. i also used the examples of my family and friends, to show that Nigerian/Ghanaian relationships can work, do work, to provide examples to the original poster.

Superman, you say that you agree that we need to 'wake up', but your attitude in your previous posts, is very contradicting. I could mention over a 100 things that Ghanaians may say about Nigerians (beyond 419 and eating people) and vice versa. but who cares? I don't. This 'beef' is like how it was (still is) between racists (racists of any colour). Its just Bull!.

I love all African people, i really do smiley. This is why it cuts deep, when i hear us insulting each other, its hurtful to see. However i do respect your opinion.

P.s I don't judge how good a boyfriend will be, based on where he comes from. I've met Nigerian guys who have treated me nice and some that have treated me badly, same with guys i have been out with from Ghana, Seirra Leone, liberia, Zimbabwe and the carribean. Also your comments about Ghanaian guys being ugly , the ones i dated were fine and not at all ugly.  Name calling is really childish behaviour , i have not insulted you or any other Nigerian members on this forum, using names or the stereotypes of naija's you mentioned in your previous post.

Can't we all just get along seriously isn't anyone sick of these kind of threads?
Re: My Mother Doesn't Want Me To Date Ghanaian Guys! by Nobody: 6:27pm On Nov 21, 2006
yaa ataa:

Can't we all just get along seriously isn't anyone sick of these kind of threads?

I didn't create this thread to discuss about how Nigerians are better than Ghanaians. mine is a more specific problem. I have simply asked of some advice about my mother. But as usual we have gone out of the borderline of the topic. it is not off topic but we have gone farther than we should have.

So now please focus on my request which is very clear:

How can I make my mother accept my guy?
Re: My Mother Doesn't Want Me To Date Ghanaian Guys! by Eurphoria(f): 6:34pm On Nov 21, 2006
lipsrsealed
Re: My Mother Doesn't Want Me To Date Ghanaian Guys! by Nobody: 6:39pm On Nov 21, 2006
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-17025.160.html

if you want to discuss farther than the question demands please move to this thread!
@Michelin

I don't think you can make her accept him, being that you are young and i am guessing u still live at home, you will have a very rocky relationship with mother, however, i suggest you be very sensitive to her, keep your relationship cool for now and not so in her face and who knows maybe if you still together years from now, she will see its serious andgive him a chance, but do not rebel against her because, bfs come and go and your mum will always be your mum . Like i said just be cool
[quote][/quote]

Finally someone has asked the original question.
I totally agree with you that I must bear with her. But I don't agree of dating him behind her. It is not fair for anyone of us and I don't want my guy to feel hated and disrespected. I always want to make people know what I do and don't like hiding things like that. because of her character I find myself doing things furtively like I was a thief but now I am sick and tired of this and want to put an end to it.
Re: My Mother Doesn't Want Me To Date Ghanaian Guys! by Nobody: 6:46pm On Nov 21, 2006
Why has Euphoria deleted her post?
Re: My Mother Doesn't Want Me To Date Ghanaian Guys! by BlackMamba(m): 7:53pm On Nov 21, 2006
God bless your lovely mum. She is a true "daughter of the soil".
Why on earth do you want to settle for less? I guess, love? Well, sweety, listen to your mum. Sometimes love don't cut it.
Re: My Mother Doesn't Want Me To Date Ghanaian Guys! by mukina2: 7:59pm On Nov 21, 2006
BlackMamba:

God bless your lovely mum.  She is a true "daughter of the soil".
Why on earth do you want to settle for less?  I guess, love?  Well, sweety, listen to your mum.  Sometimes love don't cut it.

there you go . . .nigerians are not better than ghanians we are all africans . .we are all the same
Re: My Mother Doesn't Want Me To Date Ghanaian Guys! by yaaataa(f): 8:08pm On Nov 21, 2006
@ michlen89, I did focus on the original question, however superman and others brought up the same bull about Ghanaians. This forum is so anti - ghanaian and iam not coming back again to this forum. cry I think you all ready have your answer - Ghanians are bad therefore stop dating him.
Re: My Mother Doesn't Want Me To Date Ghanaian Guys! by JosBoy4Lif(m): 8:14pm On Nov 21, 2006
Is it Just Ghanians that people like Superman and company tirade against
You should ask them to comment on Northern Nigerians in particular

The biggest problem that haunts the black man is hatred for his own brother
Its sad that people are going to judge someone based on their background, but some people are just sad
Re: My Mother Doesn't Want Me To Date Ghanaian Guys! by Eurphoria(f): 9:42pm On Nov 21, 2006
michelin89:

Why has Euphoria deleted her post?

Michellin

I deleted it because you said we should only discuss your problem, as i had already talked about your problem and given the little bit of advice i could, i thought i should also address what Atta was saying but i decided it might not be a good idea as you wanted only your issue dealt it. Its your thread so i thought i should take my post off, so as not to offend you.
Re: My Mother Doesn't Want Me To Date Ghanaian Guys! by superman(m): 9:46pm On Nov 21, 2006
i think ur mum is a true nigerian citizen!

god bless nigeria!
Re: My Mother Doesn't Want Me To Date Ghanaian Guys! by Nobody: 10:13pm On Nov 21, 2006
yaa ataa:

@ michlen89 ( I think you all ready have your answer - Ghanians are bad therefore stop dating him.

Well I don't think so if not I wouldn't have dated him in the first place. And also if really he is not worth that why is this pretty Nigerian girl fighting to love him without prejudice?
Re: My Mother Doesn't Want Me To Date Ghanaian Guys! by Nobody: 10:19pm On Nov 21, 2006
BlackMamba:

God bless your lovely mum. She is a true "daughter of the soil".
Why on earth do you want to settle for less? I guess, love? Well, sweety, listen to your mum. Sometimes love don't cut it.

He is more than what you think. And on what basis do you say he is "less"? Please explain yourself.
Re: My Mother Doesn't Want Me To Date Ghanaian Guys! by Nobody: 10:22pm On Nov 21, 2006
superman:

i think your mum is a true nigerian citizen!

god bless nigeria!

Are you saying all Nigerians are ignorant? Well sorry to disappoint you. I am Nigerian but I don't look down on people. I respect everyone for what they are.
Re: My Mother Doesn't Want Me To Date Ghanaian Guys! by yaaataa(f): 10:45pm On Nov 21, 2006
@michelin89 i was being sarcastic because i can't stand it when black people look down on one another. what gives them the right? it makes me physically sick. Nigerians are certainly not better than me because iam Ghanaian nor am i better than them and iam certainly am not jealous of Nigerians instead iam supportive. It strikes me odd that, from what i've seen, most Nigerian members welcome white people on this forum better than their own sisters and brothers from America, the carribean and Non- nigerians (for example the white woman who was dating a Nigerian man, most people were encouraging her but when its about dating someone from the same continent as you, these bogus stereotypes arise). My original advice to you was follow your heart - not all parents are right (parents make mistakes too) however you should still respect her, since she is your mother. Anyway good luck with your dillema and don't surround yourself with negative behaviour which is against loving your own rpeople. Take care Bleep

@ Euphoria, im interested in what you wanted to say in response to my post?
Re: My Mother Doesn't Want Me To Date Ghanaian Guys! by superman(m): 10:51pm On Nov 21, 2006
yes i heard u love ha but as u already know there isnt any need to be dubious! dnt get what u read twisted if u dnt mind. if u care to know the whole world look down on black ppl that some even argue that is the way of life. so i guess you being what u are it down to you the way u carry urself around.

so i think this is the last from me in ur so called little thread! anyway take care and make the best of it hopefully u will be forced to wake up and smell the coffe see where im coming from
Re: My Mother Doesn't Want Me To Date Ghanaian Guys! by BlackMamba(m): 11:00pm On Nov 21, 2006
michelin89:

He is more than what you think. And on what basis do you say he is "less"? Please explain yourself.

Your mum certainly agrees with me. Please forget this "hating on Ghana" stuff. That's giving Ghana too much credit. The guy came short of your mum's expectation. And she believes this can be remedied if you tap into the vast emotional and material resources that a Naija man presents.
I concur with mummy.
Re: My Mother Doesn't Want Me To Date Ghanaian Guys! by ThiefOfHearts(f): 4:28am On Nov 22, 2006
BlackMamba:

The guy came short of your mum's expectation. And she believes this can be remedied if you tap into the vast emotional and material resources that a Naija man presents.
I concur with mummy.

lol resources that they cant even provide themselves?

Man, the ignorance on this board is baffling.
Re: My Mother Doesn't Want Me To Date Ghanaian Guys! by lauryn(f): 4:41am On Nov 22, 2006
@ Michelin Darling
I kinda get where U's coming from. I feel alla these has to do with the age difference as well as the guy's natiionality. I believe a lot of Nigerian people in general degrade ghanians, reasons unknown undecided, but thing is if ur mom has already told U she does'nt want U seeing that guy/man, she'll succeed and there'll be nothing u'll be able to do about it.
Though I've been engaged to a ghanian man, my parents never had a problem with this, heck they dont care as long as he's human and respectable, but then again, I'm way older than U are, so things are slightly different.
Anyhoo, goodluck!!
Re: My Mother Doesn't Want Me To Date Ghanaian Guys! by BlackMamba(m): 4:24pm On Nov 22, 2006
ThiefOfHearts:

lol resources that they can't even provide themselves? Man, the ignorance on this board is baffling.

Not when you play with our good heart to cloud our mind - ThiefOfHearts.
Sorry, Skanks don't get the benefit of our love and security.
Re: My Mother Doesn't Want Me To Date Ghanaian Guys! by ThiefOfHearts(f): 5:24pm On Nov 22, 2006
lol, skank, that's pretty. Sounds like a cute pet name for your mom.

Dude, you are so full of yourself that you're constipated. Please look into taking some laxatives.
Re: My Mother Doesn't Want Me To Date Ghanaian Guys! by Free(f): 7:01pm On Nov 22, 2006
she said Ghanaians are people of low ranks and are not up to the Nigerians level.

wtf

das some bullshiit
Re: My Mother Doesn't Want Me To Date Ghanaian Guys! by mukina2: 7:06pm On Nov 22, 2006
hey guys this thread is a rascist one . . undecided
we are all africans . .
the girl asked a question lets answer the best way we can . . .but we seem to be diverting from the main topic . . .
no hating . . .no hating cool
Re: My Mother Doesn't Want Me To Date Ghanaian Guys! by superman(m): 7:16pm On Nov 22, 2006
na waaoo!

god bless nigeria
Re: My Mother Doesn't Want Me To Date Ghanaian Guys! by yaaataa(f): 7:17pm On Nov 22, 2006
I agree with u free.  Just remember, people only say bad things about another to make themselves feel better (its a proven fact). I am secure enough within myself, not to resort to putting down Nigerians, in order to feel better about myself (even when there is a lot to say). I feel good already.  smiley Me and sum of my Nigerian friends checked out this thread at university 2day, and sum of them started cussing off certain members. Way to go at making people feel proud 2 be Nigerian!! congratulations grin grin grin.

Back to the topic:

To the original poster ,i have some more advice since me and my friends discussed this topic. If your mum has these views about Ghanaians, then it seems she is pretty set in her ways. And if she financially takes care of you, then u probably have to do what she says. Maybe you should look for a Nigerian man that has the 'emotional and material resources' . wink
Re: My Mother Doesn't Want Me To Date Ghanaian Guys! by Free(f): 7:41pm On Nov 22, 2006
hmm when would ppl stop being shallow
and realize the it doesnt matter who U date
but who would treat U right and make U happy
isnt happiness important here

rather than nationality, race etc
Re: My Mother Doesn't Want Me To Date Ghanaian Guys! by ThiefOfHearts(f): 9:31pm On Nov 22, 2006
mukina2:

hey guys this thread is a rascist one . . undecided
we are all africans . .
the girl asked a question lets answer the best way we can . . .but we seem to be diverting from the main topic . . .
no hating . . .no hating cool

I just don't get how some people can't keep their dumb biased views to themselves. Ok fine you have a thing against Ghanians but why not consider the fact that there ARE some Ghanaians on this forum before spewng out such bullcrap? I mean look how angry everyone was at that Trini girl that went on about how horrible Nigerian guys are and how they should stay away from Carribean females. Why were they getting mad when they are pretty much doing the same thing to Ghanians/michelin's boyfriend?

See what I'm saying?

Awon ode oshi.
Re: My Mother Doesn't Want Me To Date Ghanaian Guys! by mukina2: 9:34pm On Nov 22, 2006
@thiefofhearts

did i say something contrary?
why did you quote me
Re: My Mother Doesn't Want Me To Date Ghanaian Guys! by ThiefOfHearts(f): 9:42pm On Nov 22, 2006
lol, no you didnt. I was just being general and I quoted you on the "hating" cos I agreed with you.

Sorry for the confusion. smiley

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

With / My Great Fear For Many Nigeria Spinsters. / Never Miss A Girl With The Folowing Qualities(photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.