Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,198,873 members, 7,969,653 topics. Date: Tuesday, 08 October 2024 at 11:41 AM

Oya Tear This Site Apart - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Oya Tear This Site Apart (864 Views)

Tear Leather(new) TOPLIST BY OMO Naija-add Your Site & Blog / Apart From Joomla: What Other Cms Do You Work With: ? / Rip This Site Apart Please (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Oya Tear This Site Apart by TechPros(m): 10:29am On Aug 14, 2009
pls review this site www.cngi-africa.org ( site still underconstruction so all ur reviews will be put into serious consideration )
for those with AK 47 and machine guns, i feel those guns are gathering dust. its time to use them now grin grin
Re: Oya Tear This Site Apart by yawatide(f): 10:47am On Aug 14, 2009
site still underconstruction

I think you need to specify what you mean above.  Page missing? page crashes after i hit send? etc.

That way, even if you did a good job, I don't use my dust-gathering ak-47 to shoot you anyways, out of frustration wink
Re: Oya Tear This Site Apart by TechPros(m): 11:18am On Aug 14, 2009
grin

yawa-ti-de:

I think you need to specify what you mean above.
all part of the site that are programmed.

i design the site a year back and the owner want me to add some features to the site ( example he want an sms to be sent to their customer support number, after each complete registration . . . ) so am making some changes to the back end, contribution on other features that i can add are also welcome.

lastly i posted this link here because i feel those AK47 and machine guns need to be put to use and also i want to learn from this.
Re: Oya Tear This Site Apart by TechPros(m): 11:32am On Aug 14, 2009
oya make una tear am apart
Re: Oya Tear This Site Apart by Nobody: 12:36pm On Aug 14, 2009
. . .lol - i dont tear sites apart. . .
Re: Oya Tear This Site Apart by yawatide(f): 1:27pm On Aug 14, 2009
all part of the site that are programmed.

Wow! I feel so enlightened. Let me go and consult my oracle so that I can telepathically get in your mind to know the parts that meet this criteria undecided
Re: Oya Tear This Site Apart by Cactus(m): 1:38pm On Aug 14, 2009
There is nothing to tear apart. I have not looked at the site. For your statement that says the site is still underconstruction well. nothing really to tear apart except you are looking for suggestions.

Oh well let me just look at the site

= Your section headings background color, I wont recommend using red for the login title
= Rearrange things so that the titles are up not areas cgni supports africans that title should be on top of the scholarship so that it matches the ones on the right.
= Think carefully about your usage of red (color-blind people)
= increase your font size. Dont be stingy. there is space lol (I recommend 14px at least)

I have this thing that eats me up sometimes when I see it. So here it goes
I believe this site is for your client. If the site is for you, ignore my following opinion.

My assumption is that
1. this site is for your client
2. you are going to get paid for the work you do

So what do I find irritating when I see it, the statement that reads "Designed By,  or Site Designed By,  or Developed By, ) at the site's footer. Like you have on the lower right side.

I believe, if you are getting paid for your work, you dont have to put that statement there. Even if you ask the client, can I put a designed by,  and the client says ok you can put it no problem. I strongly feel it should not be placed there. Ok for exposure I just feel it is not professional.

Anyone is free to so say what he/she wants about this, that is my personal opinion.
Re: Oya Tear This Site Apart by gozzilla(m): 1:32am On Aug 15, 2009
ok its a catchy site that i give to you. it feels like a template too few words in them. like you are in a hurry to get out.

seems to me there is too much of red color being used. the red is great just too much of it. stick to a color of font on each paragraph or listiing.

then if you need further tearing apart. drop us a dummy user name and pass and maybe a dummy pin and code.

but all in all great site.
Re: Oya Tear This Site Apart by Nobody: 5:07am On Aug 15, 2009
k, i will say it. that stuff is not professional, even for an uncompleted job!
Re: Oya Tear This Site Apart by Afam(m): 8:29am On Aug 15, 2009
Cactus:

So what do I find irritating when I see it, the statement that reads "Designed By,  or Site Designed By,  or Developed By, ) at the site's footer. Like you have on the lower right side.

I believe, if you are getting paid for your work, you dont have to put that statement there. Even if you ask the client, can I put a designed by,  and the client says ok you can put it no problem. I strongly feel it should not be placed there. Ok for exposure I just feel it is not professional.

Anyone is free to so say what he/she wants about this, that is my personal opinion.

While I respect the fact that what you wrote above is your personal opinion is there any thing that you have that can back it up in any professional sense?

Products and services have brand names and powered by or design by is the language of the web as regards brand name for the developer.

Clients who don't want any of those credits usually pay for the removal especially when they don't want anyone to know who developed their projects sometimes for security reasons like financial and security related projects.

So, if you have a good reason to see credits as irritating actions let us know so as to avoid confusing others who may assume that your personal opinion is the professional or standard take on the issue.

Do we then ask for removal of emblems on our cars just because we don't like them?
Re: Oya Tear This Site Apart by Cactus(m): 9:35am On Aug 15, 2009
Afam:

So, if you have a good reason to see credits as irritating actions let us know so as to avoid confusing others who may assume that your personal opinion is the professional or standard take on the issue.

Do we then ask for removal of emblems on our cars just because we don't like them?

This is a personal opinion. There are no professional justifications that I can reference that I can use to convince people to remove those statements from any site they create. I never made any assertion that it was professionally irrelevant. I clearly stated this is a personal preference.

I do understand your analogous comparison of car emblems and logos of other products. Take for instance, clothing items. I avoid any clothing items that have visible brand logos. I do not want to be a walking advertisement. So you see it goes beyond web design. It involves every aspect of my life.  I went shopping for a white tshirt without any sort of writing and logo visible on the back and front. Took me over 30mins to find in one shop at the mall. So difficult to find where I live. The stores went into were all like just buy this one it is good (they had funny writings on them). Oh well just my taste. I have duct tape covering some of the brand names of my electronics. eh eh .

Each person can decide to brand their works by putting their signature "Designed by, Created by , " etc. That's the creators decision to make.

If I buy a car I will probably find a way to cover it up.

Just felt like ranting.
Re: Oya Tear This Site Apart by TechPros(m): 2:14pm On Aug 15, 2009
Cactus:

= Your section headings background color, I wont recommend using red for the login title

why? is there any reason cactus and which color will you suggest

Cactus:

= Rearrange things so that the titles are up not areas cgni supports africans that title should be on top of the scholarship so that it matches the ones on the right.

= increase your font size. Dont be stingy. there is space lol (I recommend 14px at least)

thanks, am taking note

gozzilla:

ok its a catchy site that i give to you. it feels like a template too few words in them. like you are in a hurry to get out.

thanks, but i dont use template. it stinks
as for the few words, the client gave me that.

gozzilla:

seems to me there is too much of red color being used. the red is great just too much of it.  stick to a color of font on each paragraph or listiing.

thanks, i will work on that.

gozzilla:

then if you need further tearing apart. drop us a dummy user name and pass and maybe a dummy pin and code.

but all in all great site.

am making some adjustment to the backend, i will post some pin code, username and password here when am done.

*dhtml:

k, i will say it. that stuff is not professional, even for an uncompleted job!

i think it all depend on your definition of the word "professional" but let me ask why

Afam:

While I respect the fact that what you wrote above is your personal opinion is there any thing that you have that can back it up in any professional sense?

Products and services have brand names and powered by or design by is the language of the web as regards brand name for the developer.

Clients who don't want any of those credits usually pay for the removal especially when they don't want anyone to know who developed their projects sometimes for security reasons like financial and security related projects.

i totally agree with you. sincerely i still dont get why cactus feel the "designed by" is not professional

Cactus:

This is a personal opinion. There are no professional justifications that I can reference that I can use to convince people to remove those statements from any site they create. I never made any assertion that it was professionally irrelevant. I clearly stated this is a personal preference.

I do understand your analogous comparison of car emblems and logos of other products. Take for instance, clothing items. I avoid any clothing items that have visible brand logos. I do not want to be a walking advertisement. So you see it goes beyond web design. It involves every aspect of my life.  I went shopping for a white tshirt without any sort of writing and logo visible on the back and front. Took me over 30mins to find in one shop at the mall. So difficult to find where I live. The stores went into were all like just buy this one it is good (they had funny writings on them). Oh well just my taste. I have duct tape covering some of the brand names of my electronics. eh eh .

Each person can decide to brand their works by putting their signature "Designed by, Created by , " etc. That's the creators decision to make.

If I buy a car I will probably find a way to cover it up.

Just felt like ranting.

grin over 99% of products in the world are branded, tell me how will you avoid this? undecided
Re: Oya Tear This Site Apart by Cactus(m): 2:53pm On Aug 15, 2009
Why wont I recommend using red the way it is used?

Take an overall look at the color scheme of the site. The red really pops out like bam I am in your face. like it is screaming, CAN YOU SEE ME NOW? ah ah. Sincerely, I do not know how to pick colors for site design. I am horrible with color schemes. Not sure what to recommend. I only work on the gray scale. If I have a web project to do, I spend a lot of time looking through CSS galleries to find nice color combination.

I mentioned about colorblind people. Some people dont see color red and other colors.
Maybe you can use a softer red. That may work or you look for colors that can match the red and use it in other parts of the site to make the look and feel harmonious.

OH MY GUSH, I let the monster out of the cage

If you feel comfortable putting designed by on your works, great good for you. I never put on the sites I did. And the last site I did more than one year ago just now doing another one. i am not going to put my name on it either.

But I tell you what I like to do. One of the website projects I did last year. somewhere in the code if you read through it all. you will find something that says "cactus loves so so so so and so person as a comment in the code"  I put my girl's name in there. ah ah if they find it good luck to them. Just make it my little dirty secret. I could do this in a database table, or as a db password or username. ah ah

So I guess i am doing worse now than people putting designed by , 

majority of products have visible brand names. I do not go shopping maybe once a year. And I carefully search, The wristwatch I wear, has no name in it. I mostly wear white longsleeves, khaki pants without any names showing. so I can survive.

You should follow me to lunch sometime then you will fully understand how picky I am
Re: Oya Tear This Site Apart by Cactus(m): 2:57pm On Aug 15, 2009
Dont let this thread be about my comments. Hope no one will refer to my comment any longer.

Start referring to the OP's request
Re: Oya Tear This Site Apart by TechPros(m): 4:06pm On Aug 15, 2009
Cactus:

Take an overall look at the color scheme of the site. The red really pops out like bam I am in your face. like it is screaming, CAN YOU SEE ME NOW? ah ah. Sincerely, I do not know how to pick colors for site design. I am horrible with color schemes. Not sure what to recommend. I only work on the gray scale. If I have a web project to do, I spend a lot of time looking through CSS galleries to find nice color combination.

viewing the site to see what you are saying

hum, i feel the red drawns attention, I did not look at it from that angle.

Cactus:

Maybe you can use a softer red.

i think i will consider using a softer red but am not sure if i still have all the .png files for the site. let me look around.

cactus, thanks for your time.
Re: Oya Tear This Site Apart by yawatide(f): 5:59pm On Aug 15, 2009
poster:

The red, the way you have it, doesn't rhyme well with the other colors, which is why it stands out, IMHO.

Go to www.colorcombos.com, enter the hex code for your shade of red and see what other colors come up. I use that site all the time and I recommend it to you as well.

If you used background colors, the change will be a piece of cake. If on the other hand, you used images, now you will see why it is best to use CSS/background colors.

Good luck!

(1) (Reply)

Any Smf Editor Her (guru) / @dual Core / Fund Payoneer Mastercard

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.