Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,199,797 members, 7,972,851 topics. Date: Friday, 11 October 2024 at 08:12 PM

Origin Of The Word: - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Origin Of The Word: (482 Views)

List Of The 36 States In Nigeria And The Origin Of Their Names / See JAMB Applications By geopolitical regions of origin From 2010-2016 / 5 Most Common Nigerian Pidgin English Words and their Origin (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Origin Of The Word: by TheReadyWriters: 3:23pm On May 13, 2016
WORD OF THE DAY— OBVIATE
Definition:
The word ‘Obviate’ means to anticipate and prevent or eliminate (difficulties, disadvantages, etc.) by effective measures.

The word can be traced back to the Latin verb obviāre, "to act contrary to," which in turn is derivative of obvius meaning "in the way, lying in the path." The common English term obvious once carried the meaning "being or standing in the way."

Citations for the word:
 Well, sir, to obviate the inquiries which would inevitably be set on foot, should Mr Fink-Nottle not present himself at Deverill Hall this evening, it would appear to be essential that a substitute, purporting to be Mr Fink-Nottle, should take his place.
P. G. Wodehouse, The Mating Season, 1949

 ... as it had ever been abhorrent to my nature to ask for pecuniary assistance, I had early acquired habits of self-denying economy; husbanding my monthly allowance with anxious care, in order to obviate the danger of being forced, in some moment of future exigency, to beg additional aid.
Charlotte Brontë, The Professor, 1857

Source: Dictionary.com

(1) (Reply)

Madonna Uni Aspirants Get In Here / Things You Shouldn't Do In Public / Get Your Free Project Topics And Materials In Nursing Science

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 5
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.