Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,199,243 members, 7,970,870 topics. Date: Wednesday, 09 October 2024 at 05:00 PM

D Light Blinks Continuosly On My Honda Odyssey 2003 - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / D Light Blinks Continuosly On My Honda Odyssey 2003 (4910 Views)

The D Light Blinking In My Honda Accord 2005 / HONDA CRV 07 Drive "D" Light Blinking / 2004 Ford Explorer Won't Start And Anti Theft Light Blinks (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

D Light Blinks Continuosly On My Honda Odyssey 2003 by abituns: 9:30pm On May 13, 2016
Good evening Nairalanders, please I need a guide, my honda odessy 2003, whenever the engine is on, even without engaging the gear, the D (drive Light) keeps blinking and am scared of driving it. Please what should I do. Someone said it a switch, others say the geat oil is short but I have top the gear oil with 2 liters.

Kindly offer me a solution to the problem

Regards.

1 Share

Re: D Light Blinks Continuosly On My Honda Odyssey 2003 by cocoduck: 9:54pm On May 13, 2016
scan the car first and what type of ATF did you put in the car, roadside ATF? or the recommended ATF
visit this website to learn more
www.ebay.com/gds/How-Often-To-Change-Transmission-Fluid-Honda-Odyssey-/10000000178716956/g.html
Re: D Light Blinks Continuosly On My Honda Odyssey 2003 by abituns: 10:11pm On May 13, 2016
Recommended, bought it from an honda recommended atf dealer in olowu ikeja.
Re: D Light Blinks Continuosly On My Honda Odyssey 2003 by honmusa(m): 11:23pm On May 13, 2016
abituns:
Recommended, bought it from an honda recommended atf dealer in olowu ikeja.
You need to mentioned the name of the ATF sold to you
Re: D Light Blinks Continuosly On My Honda Odyssey 2003 by cocoduck: 11:27pm On May 13, 2016
honmusa:
You need to mentioned the name of the ATF sold to you
Thanks mate
Re: D Light Blinks Continuosly On My Honda Odyssey 2003 by abituns: 12:03am On May 14, 2016
Ok, I will get the name by tomorrow and revert.

Thanks
Re: D Light Blinks Continuosly On My Honda Odyssey 2003 by Itulah(m): 3:31am On May 14, 2016
abituns:
Good evening Nairalanders, please I need a guide, my honda odessy 2003, whenever the engine is on, even without engaging the gear, the D (drive Light) keeps blinking and am scared of driving it. Please what should I do. Someone said it a switch, others say the geat oil is short but I have top the gear oil with 2 liters.

Regards.

It can only happen when you have a broken or no connection to one or more sensors attached to the gearbox. Check the wires and plugs attached to the sensors on the gearbox, one is broken. Fix it properly and your worries are over.

1 Like

Re: D Light Blinks Continuosly On My Honda Odyssey 2003 by abituns: 6:12am On May 14, 2016
Thanks, I will call an electrician to come and check all the wires for me this morning.

Thank you. Could it be under the car cos I learnt if the chest hit the ground, it may cause it. So what I want to know is that the switch, is it possible it will be under the gear or in the engine, just a guide pls.

Thanks
Re: D Light Blinks Continuosly On My Honda Odyssey 2003 by Itulah(m): 2:30am On May 15, 2016
abituns:
Thanks, I will call an electrician to come and check all the wires for me this morning.

Thank you. Could it be under the car cos I learnt if the chest hit the ground, it may cause it. So what I want to know is that the switch, is it possible it will be under the gear or in the engine, just a guide pls.

Thanks

Gearbox sensors wiring and sockets are visible from the engine not from under.

*Note: Learn to quote your respondents, it enhances quicker reply to your questions.
Re: D Light Blinks Continuosly On My Honda Odyssey 2003 by abituns: 10:09am On May 17, 2016
Thanks for all the advise and guidance, I did a scan of the vehicle and this is what I got as error.

Itulah:

Gearbox sensors wiring and sockets are visible from the engine not from under.

*Note: Learn to quote your respondents, it enhances quicker reply to your questions.

Re: D Light Blinks Continuosly On My Honda Odyssey 2003 by Itulah(m): 11:40am On May 17, 2016
abituns:
Thanks for all the advise and guidance, I did a scan of the vehicle and this is what I got as error.

Below are possible causes of a P0141 code:
- Faulty Heated Oxygen Sensor (H2OS) Bank 1 Sensor 2
- Heated Oxygen Sensor (H2OS) Bank 1 Sensor 2 circuit fuse
- Heated Oxygen Sensor (H2OS) Bank 1 Sensor 2 circuit open shorted to ground
- Heated Oxygen Sensor (H2OS) Bank 1 Sensor 2 circuit poor electrical connection
- Faulty Engine Control Module (ECM)

The code means that there is a problem with the heater element circuit of the heated oxygen sensor. The control module monitors how long it take the sensor to warm up and start sending an adequate signal. The code is triggered when the sensor is taking too long to warm up. Water getting inside the heated oxygen sensor connector can caused the heated oxygen sensor fuse to blow. Before replacing the sensor, check for the condition of the heated oxygen sensor fuse and connectors. If the sensor and connector are OK, replacing the O2 Sensor 1 usually takes care of the problem.

However, the above will not trigger the D drive-light indicator to flick. Check for broken wiring on the gearbox sensors like I earlier suggested.
Re: D Light Blinks Continuosly On My Honda Odyssey 2003 by cocoduck: 2:17pm On May 17, 2016
Op you still haven't told us what Type of ATF he put in your tranny
Re: D Light Blinks Continuosly On My Honda Odyssey 2003 by honmusa(m): 2:46pm On May 17, 2016
Itulah:

Below are possible causes of a P0141 code:
- Faulty Heated Oxygen Sensor (H2OS) Bank 1 Sensor 2
- Heated Oxygen Sensor (H2OS) Bank 1 Sensor 2 circuit fuse
- Heated Oxygen Sensor (H2OS) Bank 1 Sensor 2 circuit open shorted to ground
- Heated Oxygen Sensor (H2OS) Bank 1 Sensor 2 circuit poor electrical connection
- Faulty Engine Control Module (ECM)

The code means that there is a problem with the heater element circuit of the heated oxygen sensor. The control module monitors how long it take the sensor to warm up and start sending an adequate signal. The code is triggered when the sensor is taking too long to warm up. Water getting inside the heated oxygen sensor connector can caused the heated oxygen sensor fuse to blow. Before replacing the sensor, check for the condition of the heated oxygen sensor fuse and connectors. If the sensor and connector are OK, replacing the O2 Sensor 1 usually takes care of the problem.

However, the above will not trigger the D drive-light indicator to flick. Check the for a broken wiring on the gearbox like I earlier suggested.
Bros you are still are learner ,out of hundred of wiring going to gearbox which one are you suggesting for the op to check ,what if the wires are intact that .that suggestion is too vague and leave the op confused more than ever .If that kind of issue get to your workshop ,is that what you are going to start checking ?
Whenever you are troubleshooting an issue ,you work from simple to the advance

1 Like

Re: D Light Blinks Continuosly On My Honda Odyssey 2003 by Itulah(m): 3:00pm On May 17, 2016
honmusa:

Bros you are still are learner ,out of hundred of wiring going to gearbox which one are you suggesting for the op to check ,what if the wires are intact that .that suggestion is too vague and leave the op confused more than ever .If that kind of issue get to your workshop ,is that what you are going to start checking ?
Whenever you are troubleshooting an issue ,you work from simple to the advance

Something must be wrong with your brain. Did you read through the thread? The Honda gear box has up to 4 sensors attached, how will I tell which among the 4 with broken wiring. Any of the 4 sensors with a broken connection can trigger the D Drive-light indicator to flick. If you do not have any meaningful contribution I will recommend you shut your mouth.
Re: D Light Blinks Continuosly On My Honda Odyssey 2003 by honmusa(m): 3:43pm On May 17, 2016
Itulah:

Something must be wrong with your brain. Did you read through the thread? The Honda gear box has up to 4 sensors attached, how will I tell which among the 4 with broken wiring. Any of the 4 sensors with a broken connection can trigger the D Drive-light indicator to flick. If you do not have any meaningful contribution I will recommend you shut your mouth.
(booking my space)!!! cool
Let see what you do for a living !
You are Otigba trained apprentice that is selling android software.
I am sure your Oga Emeka is not around that is what give you privilege to be using his laptop be spewing rubbish on public domain.
Why don't you face your android software selling business and stop disgracing yourself on what you are not sure about ? Honda gearbox having 4 sensors and you are not even sure which of them have broken wire ?imagine see dumb statement from a dull slowspoke!!!!
A 4 years old nursery student cannot even make such silly statement !!!!

Re: D Light Blinks Continuosly On My Honda Odyssey 2003 by Itulah(m): 4:13pm On May 17, 2016
honmusa:

(booking my space)!!! cool
Let see what you do for a living !
You are Otigba trained apprentice that is selling android software.
I am sure your Oga Emeka is not around that is what give you privilege to be using his laptop be spewing rubbish on public domain.
Why don't you face your android software selling business and stop disgracing yourself on what you are not sure about ? Honda gearbox having 4 sensors and you are not even sure which of them have broken wire ?imagine see dumb statement from a dull slowspoke!!!!

Like I said earlier, "something is definitely wrong with your brain" and that is my final note.
Re: D Light Blinks Continuosly On My Honda Odyssey 2003 by honmusa(m): 4:15pm On May 17, 2016
Itulah:

Like I said earlier, "something is definitely wrong with your brain" and that is my final note.
booking space
Re: D Light Blinks Continuosly On My Honda Odyssey 2003 by cocoduck: 5:07pm On May 17, 2016
hey Guys, easy easy, it is normal for tempers to flare but cmon calm your nerves, both of you are right, okay? However, the op should drain the oil, and see if there are any gritty particles, like iron fillings or clutch materials, if any is present, then he needs a new gearbox. I and hon musa asked him to do something, which he hasn't.
Re: D Light Blinks Continuosly On My Honda Odyssey 2003 by sultaan(m): 5:43pm On May 17, 2016
Open you used so scanner that does not scan the transmission so what you have is a code for another problem on your car this one points to the wires of your o2 sensor possibly frayed or damaged/ exposed by heat on heat shield,exhaust pipes touching this body causing the fuse to blow look for o2 sensor.sir heater fuse in your fuse box should be burnt and replace with same amp fuse there should be a spare in the box.

You can try look for damaged solenoid wire it could also be that there was so much dirt in the transmission and solenoid is clogged but you have to pull the transmission codes first

You adding some fluid with knowing what is going on is another wahala on its own
Re: D Light Blinks Continuosly On My Honda Odyssey 2003 by abituns: 4:55am On May 23, 2016
I couldn't place my hand on the ATF, but I don't think that would have been the reason why the D light is blinking. Like I chat with you now, it still blink and atimes it will stop on it own for days and other days it will start the blink again.

cocoduck:
Op you still haven't told us what Type of ATF he put in your tranny
Re: D Light Blinks Continuosly On My Honda Odyssey 2003 by cocoduck: 7:08am On May 23, 2016
abituns:
I couldn't place my hand on the ATF, but I don't think that would have been the reason why the D light is blinking. Like I chat with you now, it still blink and atimes it will stop on it own for days and other days it will start the blink again.

This is exactly how 95% of especially Honda and Acura transmissions come about, I am sure he put the wrong ATF, use your owner's manual to determine the correct ATF.
Re: D Light Blinks Continuosly On My Honda Odyssey 2003 by Kashif(m): 10:42am On May 23, 2016
abituns:

Find correct scanner and scan that MPV, and not a basic code reader.
Re: D Light Blinks Continuosly On My Honda Odyssey 2003 by ataspray(m): 10:57pm On May 23, 2016
the fact that the op still does not know what ATF went into his tranny sha...
Re: D Light Blinks Continuosly On My Honda Odyssey 2003 by cocoduck: 11:51pm On May 23, 2016
ataspray:
the fact that the op still does not know what ATF went into his tranny sha...
That's my biggest question
Re: D Light Blinks Continuosly On My Honda Odyssey 2003 by seyiojomu(m): 3:00am On May 25, 2016
This is simple...

If the car drives fine and d gear selects properly while its blinking (in some cases, d Park light will be litted on while you are driving) then your gear is fine and its just an electrical ish. First suspicion is your range selector switch, have it examined and changed if necessary, and the issue will disappear.

On the other hand, if the gear shifts roughly or takes too long to shift, you may have a bigger problem than an electrical fault and will need to seek an expert on transmission to examine it mechanically.

Irrespective of the oil you may have used in ur tranny, a blinking light indicates switch errors or faults.

Hope dis helps.

2 Likes

Re: D Light Blinks Continuosly On My Honda Odyssey 2003 by seyiojomu(m): 3:08am On May 25, 2016
cocoduck:
hey Guys, easy easy, it is normal for tempers to flare but cmon calm your nerves, both of you are right, okay? However, the op should drain the oil, and see if there are any gritty particles, like iron fillings or clutch materials, if any is present, then he needs a new gearbox. I and hon musa asked him to do something, which he hasn't.

By the way, its ok to find iron filling and metal grits in the drained gear oil. The drain plug bolt is manufactured with a special magnetic substance that collects this metal fillings. You can see it wen u loose d bolt and move your fingers on the end that goes into the drain hole. Even a car less that 5000km will show this sign.

What is unhealthy is burnt color of drained oil, foul smell and low quantity.
Re: D Light Blinks Continuosly On My Honda Odyssey 2003 by cocoduck: 4:44am On May 25, 2016
seyiojomu:

By the way, its ok to find iron filling and metal grits in the drained gear oil. The drain plug bolt is manufactured with a special magnetic substance that collects this metal fillings. You can see it wen u loose d bolt and move your fingers on the end that goes into the drain hole. Even a car less that 5000km will show this sign.

What is unhealthy is burnt color of drained oil, foul smell and low quantity.
those materials are metal particles, clutch materials etc, if it is just burnt oil, just drain and put new recommended oil, and you must do a regular maintenance, oils degrade when subjected to heat, and the tranny generates lots of it when for example towing, these oils have friction modifiers and other components in them to ensure your tranny works well, so if you use the wrong oil or don't change the oil when due the oil will become less slippery and loose viscousity, what it means now is that components now rub against each other without lube, what is it? it will simply wear, they will scratch each other and wear out, just as you use a grinder to smoothen steel surface, then your gearbox will slip. So metal particles in a gearbox oil means the gearbox need to be rebuilt or thrown away, if it is simply burnt, you are lucky, but you must not allow it to get to that extent.
Re: D Light Blinks Continuosly On My Honda Odyssey 2003 by kingreign(m): 6:40am On May 25, 2016
abituns:

Regards.

if youre in Abuja and havent fixed this, contact me for diagnosis, and professional scan of the transmission then fixing. 07034581213
Re: D Light Blinks Continuosly On My Honda Odyssey 2003 by seyiojomu(m): 8:23am On May 25, 2016
cocoduck:
those materials are metal particles, clutch materials etc, if it is just burnt oil, just drain and put new recommended oil, and you must do a regular maintenance, oils degrade when subjected to heat, and the tranny generates lots of it when for example towing, these oils have friction modifiers and other components in them to ensure your tranny works well, so if you use the wrong oil or don't change the oil when due the oil will become less slippery and loose viscousity, what it means now is that components now rub against each other without lube, what is it? it will simply wear, they will scratch each other and wear out, just as you use a grinder to smoothen steel surface, then your gearbox will slip. So metal particles in a gearbox oil means the gearbox need to be rebuilt or thrown away, if it is simply burnt, you are lucky, but you must not allow it to get to that extent.

I totally still agree with you..but for someone who doesn't know as much as me and you do, this will be too much information for him...
its safe if you let him also know that no matter the amount of care given to your tranny, it is bound to deteriorate and require rebuilding or replacement eventually, the level of care and attention given is only what determines the longevity.

I guess the OP has the answer to his question now anyway ; let him drain and let him check his range selector switch. by the way, genuine Honda Genuine ATF fluid is between =N= 4500- =N= 6000 depending on where you get it in Lagos. You can always check Oyingbo Honda market or visit accredited Honda Service centres in the country
Re: D Light Blinks Continuosly On My Honda Odyssey 2003 by cocoduck: 8:55am On May 25, 2016
seyiojomu:

I totally still agree with you..but for someone who doesn't know as much as me and you do, this will be too much information for him...
its safe if you let him also know that no matter the amount of care given to your tranny, it is bound to deteriorate and require rebuilding or replacement eventually, the level of care and attention given is only what determines the longevity.

I guess the OP has the answer to his question now anyway ; let him drain and let him check his range selector switch. by the way, genuine Honda Genuine ATF fluid is between =N= 4500- =N= 6000 depending on where you get it in Lagos. You can always check Oyingbo Honda market or visit accredited Honda Service centres in the country
gbam you get it
Re: D Light Blinks Continuosly On My Honda Odyssey 2003 by lonelydora: 5:01am On May 26, 2016
Very simple solution. Your tranny oil is due for change. Use the recommended Honda oil. Change your gear selector switch/solenoid. Come back and thank me later.
Re: D Light Blinks Continuosly On My Honda Odyssey 2003 by Kashif(m): 7:30am On May 26, 2016
cocoduck:

There is no transmission you will open and not find metallic dust in the pan. It is normal. But if it is above acceptable range, not fine as powder and most importantly, not attracted to the magnet, there is problem. Shavings that come off the case (coming from bearing housing and bushings) are aluminium, so have no love for magnets.

If they do not come from the casing, another main source is the TC.

Any shop with a transmission flushing machine around?

(1) (Reply)

Car Logos And Their Manufacturing Countries. / Cheap Car Cng Conversion Kits Here!!!! / Mileage Of 180k???

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.