Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,989 members, 7,883,419 topics. Date: Monday, 08 July 2024 at 10:26 AM

Haiti A Non African Country to Join the African Union. - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Haiti A Non African Country to Join the African Union. (968 Views)

Do You Applied For Batch 8 African Union Youth Volunteer Corps (AU-YVC) 2018? / 10 Non-african Countries You Can Visit Without A Visa / Is West African Union University Accredited By NUC Or NOT! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Haiti A Non African Country to Join the African Union. by wisolf(m): 12:59pm On May 14, 2016
Haiti — a country in the Caribbean will become part of Africa.
It will be the first non-African country to join the AU bloc.
Culturally, though, a lot of people feel like the two are
already joined.
The African Union has 54 member states. Actually, make that 55: Next month, Haiti will officially become a member.
“Haiti always calls itself ... a little piece of Africa in the
Caribbean, so I think it’s only fitting that now they made it
official,” said Garry Pierre-Pierre, publisher of the Brooklyn-
based Haitian Times.
The primary benefit for Haiti in joining the AU will be the
economic ties.
“Haiti wants to develop a lot of industries, tourism one of
them,” said Pierre-Pierre, a former New York Times
reporter. “I think there are a lot of opportunities for
commerce, for raw materials that are plentiful in Africa.”
It works both ways.
“As Africa develops industries it will be looking for markets,
and Haiti will be one of them,” said Pierre-Pierre.
Beyond the economic ties that bind, joining the AU is for
most Haitians a symbolic step — the union has been
discussed for several years. Pierre-Pierre thinks that in 20
years, Haitians will look back on the decision and say, “What
a brilliant move this was. What took it so long?"

Source:
www.pri.org/stories/2016-05-13/haiti-caribbean-country-joining-african-union
Re: Haiti A Non African Country to Join the African Union. by Blizzy9ja: 1:45pm On May 14, 2016
...a little piece of Africa in the Caribbean
Re: Haiti A Non African Country to Join the African Union. by kekakuz(m): 2:04pm On May 14, 2016
according to history, during the slave era, the slaves that were able to escape or buy out their contract settled in the Caribbean.
my great grandma fathers were taken in the late 19th century but their boat capsized by the Shores of a strange colorful island. the incident made them free and they feed their slave masters to sharks.
after about 3week of eating fish and bush pigs, hunger for real food started and they search the wreckage and discovered bags of beans that was stolen from Africa. ijebu ode to be precise by the slave masters. the slaves rejoice and name the island Caribbean because they carried beans from Africa.
as for Haiti I will tell you the story later ;Daccording to history, during the slave era, the slaves that were able to escape or buy out their contract settled in the Caribbean.
my great grandma fathers were taken in the late 19th century but their boat capsized by the Shores of a strange colorful island. the incident made them free and they feed their slave masters to sharks.
after about 3week of eating fish and bush pigs, hunger for real food started and they search the wreckage and discovered bags of beans that was stolen from Africa. ijebu ode to be precise by the slave masters. the slaves rejoice and name the island Caribbean because they carried beans from Africa.
as for Haiti I will tell you the story later

(1) (Reply)

How To Get To Mushin Local Govt Secretariat From Oshodi. / flamemetstudios: feel a new flame / Obasanjo Explains Why Government Policies Fail In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.