Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,668 members, 7,889,183 topics. Date: Sunday, 14 July 2024 at 02:44 AM

My Advice To President Buhari And The NLC On Fuel Subsidy Removal - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / My Advice To President Buhari And The NLC On Fuel Subsidy Removal (962 Views)

Buhari Receiving Cheers From Motorists On Fuel Queue In Kaduna (photo) / Fatima Ganduje Rants On Fuel Scarcity (Photo) / Financial sector workers urged to obey NLC on strike (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Advice To President Buhari And The NLC On Fuel Subsidy Removal by Onyocha: 9:56am On May 15, 2016
*please read to the end or just read last paragraph*

There should be no strike please.

NLC is acting like a spoilt brat. Their headache is because they were not consulted.

Subsidy has been a problem. So let it be removed completely and let us have a change and try something new.

With the Chinese currency swap agreement coming into operation in July, the price of fuel can go down thanks to competition.

It's difficult times for Nigerians, no doubt. And I would've preferred they remove subsidy after building refineries and the hardship in the economy is less. But they have removed it. So what do you want to strike for? And removing it is the right thing to do now or later.

Calling for strike will only lead to adding more suffering. It's not a cure to the problem. Or at best it's like chemotherapy. The effect is adverse. And there's possibility for breakdown of law and order and people risking their lives. So please NLC should not bother this time.

However my advice to government should be considered. What I would suggest the government do is to tell filling stations to have two pump prices. Private/company vehicles should pay 145 Naira. While public/transport vehicles should pay 97 Naira. This will prevent the poor from suffering and prices of commodities skyrocketing. Don't subsidize the rich. A thorough investigation or research will allow the government know the percentage of private vehicles in Nigeria and what percentage of subsidy to pay fuel marketers. This would be a temporary arrangement until things improve in the economy, more refineries are built, etc. and then all subsidy can be removed for everybody.
Re: My Advice To President Buhari And The NLC On Fuel Subsidy Removal by Onyocha: 9:57am On May 15, 2016
Seun

Lalasticlala

Mynd44
Re: My Advice To President Buhari And The NLC On Fuel Subsidy Removal by Proudlyngwa(m): 10:10am On May 15, 2016
Any body is free to go to strike.
Your advice to the president won't work, Nigerians being dubious by nature, will just siphon the fuel meant for public transport and sell to private.

1 Like

Re: My Advice To President Buhari And The NLC On Fuel Subsidy Removal by Onyocha: 10:16am On May 15, 2016
Proudlyngwa:
Any body is free to go to strike.
Your advice to the president won't work, Nigerians being dubious by nature, will just siphon the fuel meant for public transport and sell to private.

They can't as it will be based on fixed percentage of subsidy to the marketers. More like a percentage discount. The only terrible thing is that filling stations would prefer to sell to private vehicles and may even not allow public transport entrance. Of course that would be resisted both by authorities and the public. Very difficult to do. And if at all, we can have stations for private vehicles collecting no subsidy and some filling stations/marketers can be selected to collect subsidy to serve public transport. All the same the public transport can pay more to be served in filling stations for the private vehicles. And the station's management be vigilant to ensure it isn't cheated by fuel attendants to sell in public stations to private vehicles. The devil is in details. But it can be worked out.
Re: My Advice To President Buhari And The NLC On Fuel Subsidy Removal by ckmayoca: 10:22am On May 15, 2016
Lolz. Ur so called last paragraph got me laughing. If a taxi can get a fuel for 97, I will rather be reselling to the private at 110 or 120 and not need running around the road looking for passengers.
A lot had been thrown to masses and cos ppl ain't protesting so nothing is happening. See the electricity tarrif, see the deposit stamp duty, see the impounding of cars with expired tire when a lot of ppl don't even knw where the date is written on the tire. Learnt soon in lagos state u will be paying for the borehole u sank in ur own compound with ur own money. Very soon every married person will be paying couple due fee to the govt yearly. A protest and strike will make them shelf any future rubbish that's at hand.
Re: My Advice To President Buhari And The NLC On Fuel Subsidy Removal by ckmayoca: 10:25am On May 15, 2016
Onyocha:
*please read to the end or just read last paragraph*

There should be no strike please.

NLC is acting like a spoilt brat. Their headache is because they were not consulted.

Subsidy has been a problem. So let it be removed completely and let us have a change and try something new.

With the Chinese currency swap agreement coming into operation in July, the price of fuel can go down thanks to competition.

It's difficult times for Nigerians, no doubt. And I would've preferred they remove subsidy after building refineries and the hardship in the economy is less. But they have removed it. So what do you want to strike for? And removing it is the right thing to do now or later.

Calling for strike will only lead to adding more suffering. It's not a cure to the problem. Or at best it's like chemotherapy. The effect is adverse. And there's possibility for breakdown of law and order and people risking their lives. So please NLC should not bother this time.

However my advice to government should be considered. What I would suggest the government do is to tell filling stations to have two pump prices. Private/company vehicles should pay 145 Naira. While public/transport vehicles should pay 97 Naira. This will prevent the poor from suffering and prices of commodities skyrocketing. Don't subsidize the rich. A thorough investigation or research will allow the government know the percentage of private vehicles in Nigeria and what percentage of subsidy to pay fuel marketers. This would be a temporary arrangement until things improve in the economy, more refineries are built, etc. and then all subsidy can be removed for everybody.

If ur last paragraph had been all state start running a transportation business to generate income, create job and subsidize transportation cost for the citizen, that wld have been better than some buying for 145 and some 97. If I buy for 97 I can easily draw it out of the thank and sell for 120 cheap and fast cash.
Re: My Advice To President Buhari And The NLC On Fuel Subsidy Removal by Nobody: 10:33am On May 15, 2016
That last paragraph won't work. NNPC has been selling for that price with lots of queue.
The transport fare has gone up already.
No need.
Re: My Advice To President Buhari And The NLC On Fuel Subsidy Removal by Proudlyngwa(m): 11:02am On May 15, 2016
Onyocha:

They can't as it will be based on fixed percentage of subsidy to the marketers. More like a percentage discount. The only terrible thing is that filling stations would prefer to sell to private vehicles and may even not allow public transport entrance. Of course that would be resisted both by authorities and the public. Very difficult to do. And if at all, we can have stations for private vehicles collecting no subsidy and some filling stations/marketers can be selected to collect subsidy to serve public transport. All the same the public transport can pay more to be served in filling stations for the private vehicles. And the station's management be vigilant to ensure it isn't cheated by fuel attendants to sell in public stations to private vehicles. The devil is in details. But it can be worked out.
Thank God that's your Opinion.
A better alternative is a state run transport system, with monitoring devices.
Public transport operators are private individuals, now do the maths.
Re: My Advice To President Buhari And The NLC On Fuel Subsidy Removal by Onyocha: 11:12am On May 15, 2016
Proudlyngwa:

Thank God that's your Opinion.
A better alternative is a state run transport system, with monitoring devices.
Public transport operators are private individuals, now do the maths.

Yea true they are private individuals. But their vehicles are for public service and good. And if subsidizing them would ensure transport fare will not increase and the prices of commodities remain the same, then why not?
Re: My Advice To President Buhari And The NLC On Fuel Subsidy Removal by Proudlyngwa(m): 12:36pm On May 15, 2016
Onyocha:

Yea true they are private individuals. But their vehicles are for public service and good. And if subsidizing them would ensure transport fare will not increase and the prices of commodities remain the same, then why not?
Assuming you were the regulator, how do you intend monitoring this your noble act.
All I need is to get a truck, register myself as a public transporter, go some who and siphon and sell.
Forget this idea.
We should be talking about government working on a better transport platform, not selling fuel.
Re: My Advice To President Buhari And The NLC On Fuel Subsidy Removal by Onyocha: 12:43pm On May 16, 2016
Proudlyngwa:

Assuming you were the regulator, how do you intend monitoring this your noble act.
All I need is to get a truck, register myself as a public transporter, go some who and siphon and sell.
Forget this idea.
We should be talking about government working on a better transport platform, not selling fuel.

Your view is over simplistic. Buying a vehicle and registering it as for public transport and then using it to buy and resell fuel. To make how much exactly? Poor investment! And not like your rich customers who can afford to buy at 145 would be readily waiting for you to buy at 120. If you fuel your tank up to 100 liters, your gain isn't up to 3k.
Re: My Advice To President Buhari And The NLC On Fuel Subsidy Removal by Proudlyngwa(m): 2:41pm On May 16, 2016
Onyocha:

Your view is over simplistic. Buying a vehicle and registering it as for public transport and then using it to buy and resell fuel. To make how much exactly? Poor investment! And not like your rich customers who can afford to buy at 145 would be readily waiting for you to buy at 120. If you fuel your tank up to 100 liters, your gain isn't up to 3k.
3k times 10 times a day times 30 days,
Some people are pros in racketing.

(1) (Reply)

What Is This Comedian Telling Gov. Wike? / The Occupy Nigeria 2016, Political Interest Or Secession Movement? / Court Okays Aisha Buhari’s Request To Serve Gov. Fayose

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.