Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,169,786 members, 7,875,956 topics. Date: Sunday, 30 June 2024 at 04:48 AM

Militant Attacks: Address Niger- Delta Grievances, UK Tells Buhari - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Militant Attacks: Address Niger- Delta Grievances, UK Tells Buhari (2440 Views)

BREAKING: You Have To Believe Me, But You Can Keep Hoping – UK Tells Nigerians / Militant Attacks: FG Suspects Foreign Conspiracy / Blackout: 19 Plants Shut As Militant Attacks Shrink Gas Supply (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Militant Attacks: Address Niger- Delta Grievances, UK Tells Buhari by Lawcurrent(m): 1:38pm On May 15, 2016
Nigeria’s President Muhammadu Buhari
needs to address grievances in the Delta
region where militants have been
blowing up oil pipelines in a conflict that
has become a “major concern”, a senior
British official said on Saturday.
The swamps of the southern Delta have
been hit by a series of attacks on
pipelines and other oil and gas facilities
that have reduced Nigeria’s output by
300,000 barrels a day, closed a major
export port and two refineries.
Nigeria has moved in army
reinforcements to hunt the militants but
British Foreign Minister Philip
Hammond said Buhari needed to the
deal with the root causes because a
military confrontation could end in
“disaster”.
Crude sales from the Delta account for 70
percent of national income in Africa’s
biggest economy but residents, some of
whom sympathise with the militants,
have long complained of poverty.
“It’s obviously a major concern,”
Hammond told reporters on the sidelines
of a regional security conference in
Abuja when asked about the Delta
situation.
“The idea that your answer is by moving
big chunks of the Nigerian army to the
Delta simply doesn’t work,” he said,
adding that the army did not have the
capacity while fighting Boko Haram
jihadists in the north. “It won’t deal with
the underlying issues.”
“Buhari has got to show as a president
from the north that he is not ignoring
the Delta, that he is engaging with the
challenges in the Delta,” Hammond said.
Buhari is a Muslim from the north who
has not visited the Christian Delta since
taking office a year ago, something
highlighted by a militant group, the
Niger Delta Avengers, which has claimed
a string of attacks on pipelines.
The group has warned oil firms to leave
the region within two weeks and says it
is fighting for independence for the
Delta. It has said it wanted a greater
share of oil revenues and an end to oil
pollution, reports Reuters.
The attacks have driven Nigerian oil
output to near a 22-year low and, if the
violence escalates into another
insurgency, it could cripple output in a
country facing a growing economic
crisis.
Buhari, who has not commented about
not visiting the Delta, has extended a
multi-million dollar amnesty signed with
militants in 2009 but upset them by
ending generous pipeline protection
contracts. He also cut the amnesty budget
by around 70 percent, which partly
funds training for unemployed.
Meanwhile, Boko Haram jihadists are
likely to step up cooperation with Islamic
State should the latter extremist group
gain a stronger foothold in Libya, a
senior British official said on Saturday.
Boko Haram, which has been waging a
seven-year insurgency in northern
Nigeria, last year pledged loyalty to
Islamic State.
Little is known about the extent of
cooperation. But Western officials worry
that Islamic State’s growing presence in
North Africa and ties with Boko Haram
could herald a push south into the Sahel
region and create a springboard for
wider attacks.
Islamic State first seized parts of Syria
and Iraq but later built up a foothold in
Libya, exploiting a security vacuum.
“If we see Daesh establish a stronger
presence in Libya, that feels much more
to people here like a direct
communications route, that is likely to
step up the practical collaboration
between the two groups,” British Foreign
Minister Philip Hammond said at a
security conference in Nigeria.
He was referring to a derogatory name
of Islamic State.
On Friday, a senior U.S. official said
there were signs of Boko Haram fighters
going to Libya from Nigeria, crossing via
porous Sub-Saharan borders.
“The intent is clearly there, the evidence
of hard collaboration is still pretty
sketchy,” Hammond said about the
cooperation between the two groups.

newtelegraphonline.com/militant-attacks-address-niger-delta-grievances-uk-tells-buhari/
Re: Militant Attacks: Address Niger- Delta Grievances, UK Tells Buhari by Nobody: 1:43pm On May 15, 2016
abeg alert me with likes when this post hit front page

6 Likes

Re: Militant Attacks: Address Niger- Delta Grievances, UK Tells Buhari by Noneroone(m): 1:46pm On May 15, 2016
He will never
Re: Militant Attacks: Address Niger- Delta Grievances, UK Tells Buhari by Trueyarn(m): 1:48pm On May 15, 2016
Dem don dey feel am for that way too, coz e dey worry their companies wey dey drill oil... Ok nah...

5 Likes

Re: Militant Attacks: Address Niger- Delta Grievances, UK Tells Buhari by eshietIntrepid(m): 1:48pm On May 15, 2016
Why will oil wells located in the south south be own by northerners? Is this not a form of imperialism within.

The demand is clear pls return what belong to us to us, let us have control over our own resources is that too much to ask.

8 Likes

Re: Militant Attacks: Address Niger- Delta Grievances, UK Tells Buhari by cheruv: 1:51pm On May 15, 2016
This one the British FM is echoing the position of the SESS region, they must have analyzed the situation and seen that the Nigerian army would be crushed totally if they venture militarily into the Delta region.
Moreover am not surprised bkos my sources tell me that the Nigerian army is seriously short on personnel bkos of decimations by BH shocked

4 Likes

Re: Militant Attacks: Address Niger- Delta Grievances, UK Tells Buhari by badmrkt(m): 1:56pm On May 15, 2016
Last checked millitants are from UNITED NATIONS. So it should be a collective effort with UK inclossive. If herdsmen are Lybians then AU should be involved in its fight too.

5 Likes

Re: Militant Attacks: Address Niger- Delta Grievances, UK Tells Buhari by gozmok1(m): 1:57pm On May 15, 2016
I STAND WITH NDA tongue

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Militant Attacks: Address Niger- Delta Grievances, UK Tells Buhari by Joel3(m): 1:58pm On May 15, 2016
if we must admit to the truth. IS & Boko haram is facing financial crisis due to global meltdown as a result of falling price of oil. Saudi Arabia the ground sponsor of the sunni Muslim terrorist is facing financial difficulties. including iraq and Afghanistan.

there is a believe that the United States purposely crashed the oil price due to the growing number of IS. and one will wonder that since the oil fall. IS activities has reduced drastically.

boko haram is facing short supply from sponsors within Nigeria and overseas hence their activities has reduce as well as IS. it's not the military that is dealing with boko haram. buhari is only taking false credit for defeating boko haram. only time will tell if oil price will go up sooner or later.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Militant Attacks: Address Niger- Delta Grievances, UK Tells Buhari by idensko(m): 2:00pm On May 15, 2016
When NIGERIANS elected a tribalistic, illiterate gworo chewing bastard as a president what were they expecting.

D quicker we realize that diz dull..ardinho cannot offer anything.

D better 4 us.

Are u going to wage war in a region that feeds d whole Nation.

U first of all insulted them by calling them 5%

Forgetting that it is d 5% that feeds the 95%.

During d groundnut pyramid, do government walk into farms and harvest pple groundnut?

Or did farmers sell dre groundnut 2 Government in dre own price?

I spit on ur shitty Fulani ass.ss.

11 Likes

Re: Militant Attacks: Address Niger- Delta Grievances, UK Tells Buhari by bloomstar: 2:01pm On May 15, 2016
Stupid govt

4 Likes

Re: Militant Attacks: Address Niger- Delta Grievances, UK Tells Buhari by 989900: 2:01pm On May 15, 2016
How this man thinks he understands the situation better than the Nigerian government is beyond me.

While the gov't should do more especially in ensuring the funds for the host communities get to the real people of the land, there are too many misconceptions flying around that needs to be addressed.

However, some conditions or demands requested by the NDA are mostly childish, f00lish, and unmeetable i.e. apologizing for 'Alams' death, releasing Nnamdi Kanu, 90% of oil blocks are owned by northerners and should be relinquished and e.t.c.

OTOH, some demands are of serious concern which the gov't should pay attention to i.e. the enviroment and making sure monies meant for the communities do not end up in a few people's pockets.

That said, I think some facts should be dished out to people of Bayelsa and by extension Delta.

1. Both states contribute far less than half of our crude oil output.

2. Akwa Ibom contributes almost roughly twice that of Bayelsa's.

3. River state contributes more than Delta state. And both Rivers and Akwa Ibom states does very well for itself than Delta and Bayelsa . . . they need to look in the mirror.

4. Bayelsa state with a population of 2 million, draws more from the federal purse than Lagos state even though Lagos turns more into the national purse than Bayelsa!

5. Ondo state's oil (heavy and light), is greater than all other states in the country put together (even the ownership of the Agbami oil fields, about 100 kilometers of the Ilaje waterfront of Ondo state that accounts for the largest of Niger Delta's oil is still being debated . . . that's just and aside though)

6. There was a time this country didn't have oil, and we all survived on income from other states.

7. According to DPR, Nigerians currently own 52 per cent of the country’s 173 active oil blocs, while foreign oil companies own 48 per cent of the total of 388 oil blocks in the country, only 173 of them have been awarded to individuals and corporations, while 215 blocks were yet to be awarded. Broken further, of the 173 so far awarded, Nigerians owned 90 blocks while foreigners owned 83 blocks.

And all the 90 blocks awarded to indigenous players account for only six per cent of the country’s total crude oil production, while the 83 awarded to foreign oil companies account for 94 per cent of the total output.

8. All presidents from IBB to GEJ are guilty of awarding oil blocks to their cronies. And last time I checked, it's pure mix of friends and allies cutting across all tribes, parties, and gender.

9. Oil prospecting and blocks can only be awarded to people that have the funds; not because it's your hometown. And they are leases and JVs, those companies don't own them in the real sense of the word (that's just some barbaric thinking).

10. The PIB was drafted to protect oil communities, but GEJ, Diezani, the 6th and 7th senate bastardized it and didn't pass it!

1 Like

Re: Militant Attacks: Address Niger- Delta Grievances, UK Tells Buhari by EasternLeopard: 2:11pm On May 15, 2016
989900:
How this man thinks he understands the situation better than the Nigerian government is beyond me.

So he must be a Nigerian to understand Nigeria.

Nonsense bullshit. angry

6 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Militant Attacks: Address Niger- Delta Grievances, UK Tells Buhari by Joel3(m): 2:11pm On May 15, 2016
everyone knows the Niger Delta Avengers are more professional and enlighten than the military. the most amassing part is that they gave threats and warnings days before carryout each attacked. more like the boko haram. they vail not to take any life but if the military stand on their way. they will have no option than to unleash their ruts on the military.

a thief sent a letter to a community that they are coming on Friday. despite the forewarned they still came the same Friday to carryout the threats successfully. that is the height of professional .

and this shows our military are not equipped with intelligent and technology, this separate attacked has shown they mean and know what they are saying. a sane society this cannot happen.

before the chibok girls were kidnapped the military got the report but what happens?

buhari is making empty threat's he can't dearth with the NDA. I repeat the army and navy are not equipped enough to crush NDA. this guys are not small boys like boko haram fighters. they are light years ahead.

buhari is busy recovering loted funds when will he recovered oil wells that was awarded to northerners?

it's better for him to accept and apologize than doing strong head. otherwise this economy will be crippled to 0. yaradua was wise enough to know this.

we all saw the weapons the militants rendered during amnesty.

I stand with NDA.

3 Likes

Re: Militant Attacks: Address Niger- Delta Grievances, UK Tells Buhari by 9japride(m): 2:20pm On May 15, 2016
Govt needs to handle this issue with care it's like killing a fly on ones scrotum. Previous military govt from Northern origin allocated most oil wells to their brothers. D major reason while GEJ lost the last election was that he intended to withdraw most of the oil well licence from d northerners that's why them top oil wells owners then gang up against Jonathan and supported GMB

2 Likes

Re: Militant Attacks: Address Niger- Delta Grievances, UK Tells Buhari by thereturnoflucy(m): 2:35pm On May 15, 2016
Kindly click below to checkout awesome
Poems
Stories
Drama
Romance
Comedy
And editorials

www.kikiotolu.com
Re: Militant Attacks: Address Niger- Delta Grievances, UK Tells Buhari by Pavarottii(m): 2:37pm On May 15, 2016
Buhari more problems for him...

1 Like

Re: Militant Attacks: Address Niger- Delta Grievances, UK Tells Buhari by waternogetemeny: 2:44pm On May 15, 2016
Buhari must defeat Niger Delta in military prowess. grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Militant Attacks: Address Niger- Delta Grievances, UK Tells Buhari by 989900: 2:51pm On May 15, 2016
EasternLeopard:

[s]So he must be a Nigerian to understand Nigeria.

Nonsense bullshit.[/s] angry
Re: Militant Attacks: Address Niger- Delta Grievances, UK Tells Buhari by Igbiboi: 2:56pm On May 15, 2016
Noooooh, bushari must not negotiate with the avengers, they are terrorist and must be crushed. This is what goes on in the mind of zombies.

But honestly, I will not want buhari to negotitiate with these guys, I wish he goes out on a military offensive, and escalate the situation. I want buhari to be bugged down in a problem that will consume him, and I don't want NDA to stop bursting the pipelines. So whatever will stoke this fire is what I wish and pray for. So my dear dullardic presidiot continue your military onslaught against the Avengers.

2 Likes

Re: Militant Attacks: Address Niger- Delta Grievances, UK Tells Buhari by freeze001(f): 3:03pm On May 15, 2016
I hope them eejits that feel it's all about 'crushing the ants of the Delta' can see clearly. There is more to the situation and all parties must be ready to sit down and be truthful so as to address the fundamental issues plaguing the country. If it is all about military incursion, it will not work! Bubu had better hear and be prepared to shift ground! No be only fulani and libyan herdsmen work him come do then still tiff ND people money for him people. It will not work!

1 Like

Re: Militant Attacks: Address Niger- Delta Grievances, UK Tells Buhari by bro4u: 3:53pm On May 15, 2016
Make the idiot no address the issue na, he go know say KAKI no b leather angry

Meanwhile, how can i donate to this Niger-Delta Avengers, those guys deserve a well prepared Edikänikong soup with Orijin.

1 Like

Re: Militant Attacks: Address Niger- Delta Grievances, UK Tells Buhari by knightsTempler: 3:53pm On May 15, 2016
undecided
Re: Militant Attacks: Address Niger- Delta Grievances, UK Tells Buhari by bro4u: 3:59pm On May 15, 2016
[s]
989900:

While the gov't should do more especially in ensuring the funds for the host communities get to the real people of the land, there are too many misconceptions flying around that needs to be addressed.

However, some conditions or demands requested by the NDA are mostly childish, f00lish, and unmeetable i.e. apologizing for 'Alams' death, releasing Nnamdi Kanu, 90% of oil blocks are owned by northerners and should be relinquished and e.t.c.

OTOH, some demands are of serious concern which the gov't should pay attention to i.e. the enviroment and making sure monies meant for the communities do not end up in a few people's pockets.

That said, I think some facts should be dished out to people of Bayelsa and by extension Delta.

3. River state contributes more than Delta state. And both Rivers and Akwa Ibom states does very well for itself than Delta and Bayelsa . . . they need to look in the mirror.

4. Bayelsa state with a population of 2 million, draws more from the federal purse than Lagos state even though Lagos turns more into the national purse than Bayelsa!

5. Ondo state's oil (heavy and light), is greater than all other states in the country put together (even the ownership of the Agbami oil fields, about 100 kilometers of the Ilaje waterfront of Ondo state that accounts for the largest of Niger Delta's oil is still being debated . . . that's just and aside though)

6. There was a time this country didn't have oil, and we all survived on income from other states.

7. According to DPR, Nigerians currently own 52 per cent of the country’s 173 active oil blocs, while foreign oil companies own 48 per cent of the total of 388 oil blocks in the country, only 173 of them have been awarded to individuals and corporations, while 215 blocks were yet to be awarded. Broken further, of the 173 so far awarded, Nigerians owned 90 blocks while foreigners owned 83 blocks.

And all the 90 blocks awarded to indigenous players account for only six per cent of the country’s total crude oil production, while the 83 awarded to foreign oil companies account for 94 per cent of the total output.

8. All presidents from IBB to GEJ are guilty of awarding oil blocks to their cronies. And last time I checked, it's pure mix of friends and allies cutting across all tribes, parties, and gender.

9. Oil prospecting and blocks can only be awarded to people that have the funds; not because it's your hometown. And they are leases and JVs, those companies don't own them in the real sense of the word (that's just some barbaric thinking).

10. The PIB was drafted to protect oil communities, but GEJ, Diezani, the 6th and 7th senate bastardized it and didn't pass it!
[/s]

3 Likes

Re: Militant Attacks: Address Niger- Delta Grievances, UK Tells Buhari by bro4u: 4:00pm On May 15, 2016
[s]
989900:

[/s]
sharaapp... You too talk nonsense

5 Likes

Re: Militant Attacks: Address Niger- Delta Grievances, UK Tells Buhari by 989900: 4:04pm On May 15, 2016
bro4u:
[s][/s]
sharaapp... You too talk nonsense
Re: Militant Attacks: Address Niger- Delta Grievances, UK Tells Buhari by YourMrBoo: 4:27pm On May 15, 2016
Shame on the yorubas that wanted ND oil but not her people...
Shame also on the yorubas that wanted buhari to crush the ND militants once and for all, even when their hypocrite self will tell them that their cause is just and genuine... Maybe they are no more human beings to them...
Shame on people like tonyebarcanista that will put politics first before thinking about the future of the people he think he is protecting their interest... Very selfish local politician...

I support the ND,
I support the NDA,

Right about now, the international bodies are aware, of the impunity going on in the so called one Nigeria...

Everything is not about violence except their is envy and hate...
Buhari can never win the NDA bc they have suffered enough in this country, you rip them off their oil and still yet you want to wipe them off. That's too much.
Tackle the root cause or watch everything drag into a long term disaster.

Glacias UK government

3 Likes

Re: Militant Attacks: Address Niger- Delta Grievances, UK Tells Buhari by incomintop: 4:30pm On May 15, 2016
Interesting
Re: Militant Attacks: Address Niger- Delta Grievances, UK Tells Buhari by Xapio: 4:41pm On May 15, 2016
989900:

Stop dishing out lies here this treacherous yoruba man angry angry ... You have to understand that all this una lies doesn't fly again. People are wiser now!

4 Likes

Re: Militant Attacks: Address Niger- Delta Grievances, UK Tells Buhari by 989900: 4:54pm On May 15, 2016
Xapio:
Stop dishing out lies here this treacherous yoruba man angry angry ... You have to understand that all this una lies doesn't fly again. People are wiser now!

Dish me the truth dear, I'm a truth-seeker . . . waiting for it.
Re: Militant Attacks: Address Niger- Delta Grievances, UK Tells Buhari by Xapio: 5:05pm On May 15, 2016
989900:

Dish me the truth dear, I'm a truth-seeker . . . waiting for it.
You know the truth so, stop burying your head in the sand!

(1) (2) (Reply)

Confirmed:Militants Terrorizing Lagos Are Ijaws - 4 Arrested By OPC / Massive Rice Mill Plant Which Is Set To Be Commissioned In Kano. PICTURES. / To Me, Buhari Is Dead–fayose

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.