Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,121 members, 7,949,858 topics. Date: Sunday, 15 September 2024 at 08:49 PM

You Bomb Your Oil, I Keep My Tomatoes - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / You Bomb Your Oil, I Keep My Tomatoes (3873 Views)

"Basket Of Tomatoes Is N25k In Lagos" - Moremi Ojudu, Daughter Of Buhari's Aide / Niger-Delta Militants Vow To Bomb Aso-rock, Details Specific targets / Waku: "Drink Your Oil, We Would Eat Our Yams", Arewa Chieftain Tells Niger Delta (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: You Bomb Your Oil, I Keep My Tomatoes by mikolo80: 10:53pm On May 15, 2016
freeze001:

An example of what is grown in the South? You must be kidding!

But I'll oblige you...

Varieties of vegetables, fruits, ogbono, melon seeds, breadfruit, yam, cassava, maize, rice, cocoa, tomatoes, cashew, beans, pepper, palm nuts, coconuts, herbs...I can go on!

For animals...we've got goats, bush meat like grasscutters, antelopes, chicken, snails, varieties of fish, pigs, prawns, shrimps, crabs...

I'm assuming u were kidding about asking what is grown in the South but if u are truly ignorant then I hope u're better enlightened and please what I've mentioned is not even close to an exhaustive list. These are only food staples I've mentioned. The commercial trees are also there. Do yourself a favour and research further.
loudest barrels make the most noise
which of these apart from non essential sea food is ''exported' in large quantity like tomatoes onions beans or maize
poultry.only cassavai can vouch for in that your list.all the rest is imported from north and poultry from west.not dem say dem say,first hand experience,pig join.you cannot 'feed' yourself and frankly i doubt we in southwest can do same but make no mistake the north ''feeds the contry''

1 Like 1 Share

Re: You Bomb Your Oil, I Keep My Tomatoes by freeze001(f): 10:56pm On May 15, 2016
mikolo80:
which of these apart from non essential sea food is ''exported' in large quantity like tomatoes onions beans or maize
poultry.only cassavai can vouch for in that your list.all the rest is imported from north and poultry from west.not dem say dem say,first hand experience,pig join.you cannot 'feed' yourself and frankly i doubt we in southwest can do same but make no mistake the north ''feeds the contry''

Oh dear...u truly are ignorant. But since u feel u know it all, I'll leave u to it.

2 Likes

Re: You Bomb Your Oil, I Keep My Tomatoes by mikolo80: 10:57pm On May 15, 2016
freeze001:

Oh dear...u truly are ignorant. But since u feel u know it all, I'll leave u to it.
same here since you refuse to enlighten me
na only insult you de throw since beginning of this thread
na only you sabi
Re: You Bomb Your Oil, I Keep My Tomatoes by americanigga(m): 11:11pm On May 15, 2016
mikolo80:

the South do produce food but in small quantity compare to the North
Re: You Bomb Your Oil, I Keep My Tomatoes by freeze001(f): 11:11pm On May 15, 2016
mikolo80:
same here since you refuse to enlighten me
na only insult you de throw since beginning of this thread
na only you sabi

How do you want me to enlighten you please? My apologies if u felt insulted.

Now, I don't know about the SW but for the SE and SS, we eat a lot of vegetables as evident in the variety of soups we have. All those vegetables are grown in the South.

Onitsha and Enugu more than supply our yam demands though the Benue specie also comes available.

You may call the seafood non-essential but they are very essential and form a basic part of our meals.

Rice u knw was always imported but with the attention on agriculture in the last 5yrs or so, Ebonyi which has always had d local rice has stepped up its game and is not doin badly. Anambra is also doing its bit.

Beans is a legume and does pretty well in almost any soil. I have personally grown beans in Ph though not in large quantities. Palm nuts are massive!

For breadfruit also known locally as ukwa, it is a delicacy in the East. Good thing u know cassava.

As far as our traditional meals are concerned, we source them easily from around us in the South. The major stuff I feel we don't have is onions and groundnuts for groundnut oil...

I am optimistic though that Enugu which has the closest to the Northern climate might not fare badly in onion cultivation. I don't know about that though.

The Eastern states and Edo are more than sufficient in cashew, plantain, banana, pineapples abd watermelon.

Imo n Rivers are known for palm and rubber. The rainforest which is standard in all the SS states give enough timber from the commercial trees.

3 Likes

Re: You Bomb Your Oil, I Keep My Tomatoes by mikolo80: 11:15pm On May 15, 2016
freeze001:

How do you want me to enlighten you please? I don't know about the SW but for the SE and SS, we eat a lot of vegetables as evident in the variety of soups we have. All those vegetables are grown in the South.

Onitsha and Enugu more than supply our yam demands though the Benue specie also comes available.

You may call the seafood non-essential but they are very essential and form a basic part of our meals.

Rice u knw was always imported but with the attention on agriculture in the last 5yrs or so, Ebonyi which has always had d local rice has stepped up its game and is not doin badly. Anambra is also doing its bit.

Beans is a legume and does pretty well in almost any soil. I have personally grown beans in Ph though not in large quantities. Palm nuts are massive!

For breadfruit also known locally as ukwa, it us a delicacy in the East. Good thing u know cassava.

As far as our traditional meals are concerned, we source them easily from around us in the South. The major stuff I feel we don't have is onions and groundnuts for groundnut oil...

I am optimistic though that Enugu which has the closest to the Northern climate might not fare badly in onion cultivation. I don't know about that though.

The Eastern states and Edo are more than sufficient in cashew, plantain, banana.
agreed you hav monopoly of vegetables but what of pepper and tomatoes
no one in south is taking onion or tomatoe or beans planting serious(how many of us gree enter farm )
not to talk of climate restrictions(these veies do better in well drained soil than waterlogged south
i'm just pointing out that war is bad for business and we need each other
none can hold the other to ransome without feeling it
Re: You Bomb Your Oil, I Keep My Tomatoes by mikolo80: 11:16pm On May 15, 2016
freeze001:

Now, I don't know about the SW but for the SE and SS, we eat a lot of vegetables as evident in the variety of soups we have. All those vegetables are grown in the South.

For breadfruit also known locally as ukwa, it us a delicacy in the East. Good thing u know cassava.

The Eastern states and Edo are more than sufficient in cashew, plantain, banana, pineapples abd watermelon.

Imo n Rivers are known for palm and rubber. The rainforest which is standard in all the SS states give enough timber from the commercial trees.
of course they will grow but while a hectare of tomatoes will give you 5 tonnes in south it will produce 25 to 40 tonnes in north(no comparison
Re: You Bomb Your Oil, I Keep My Tomatoes by mikolo80: 11:17pm On May 15, 2016
americanigga:

the South do produce food but in small quantity compare to the North
that is all i'm trying to explain to my sister but she de do me like say we de fight before
Re: You Bomb Your Oil, I Keep My Tomatoes by americanigga(m): 11:29pm On May 15, 2016
freeze001:

For breadfruit also known locally as ukwa, it is a delicacy in the East. Good thing u know cassava.

I am sorry I don't mean to upset you. When did the South East start producing so much food? Because according to history, it was when the North stopped supplying them food that they surrendered. Was it a lesson they learnt from the war.
Re: You Bomb Your Oil, I Keep My Tomatoes by freeze001(f): 11:35pm On May 15, 2016
americanigga:

I am sorry I don't mean to upset you. When did the South East start producing so much food? Because according to history, it was when the North stop supplying them food that they surrendered. Was it a lesson they learnt from the war.

Before Nigeria how was the former Eastern Region in its full constitution before amalgamation feeding? We grew our food!

In wartime there really isn't time to go planting and watering is there? And this was for 3 years. Not necessarily north supplying bur blockades of access even to imports. The SW was also complicit in the starvation ploy. The more vulnerable ie children, suffered the most because while adults with stronger systems could get by with little or poorly prepared food whilst in hiding or at d war front, the children couldn't fend for themselves. Their fragile systems would certainly not cope with raw or hurriedly cooked food for instance.

Medical and material aid which ought to have come in were blocked so the surrender was to prevent further waste of young, vibrant lives.

Don't even attempt to glorify the inhumane and deliberate starvation of children and vulnerable women in their millions as proof that the South doesn't produce food for itself.

Read this: http://www.nigerianorientnews.com/agricultural-revolution-in-the-south-east/

1 Like

Re: You Bomb Your Oil, I Keep My Tomatoes by bishopkay: 12:26am On May 16, 2016
freeze001:

Before Nigeria how was the former Eastern Region in its full constitution before amalgamation feeding? We grew our food!

In wartime there really isn't time to go planting and watering is there? And this was for 3 years. Not necessarily north supplying bur blockades of access even to imports. The SW was also complicit in the starvation ploy. The more vulnerable ie children, suffered the most because while adults with stronger systems could get by with little or poorly prepared food whilst in hiding or at d war front, the children couldn't fend for themselves. Their fragile systems would certainly not cope with raw or hurriedly cooked food for instance.

Medical and material aid which ought to have come in were blocked so the surrender was to prevent further waste of young, vibrant lives.

Don't even attempt to glorify the inhumane and deliberate starvation of children and vulnerable women in their millions as proof that the South doesn't produce food for itself.

Read this: http://www.nigerianorientnews.com/agricultural-revolution-in-the-south-east/

My dear sister (If u r a female though ...cz many people dey change sex for NL ooo LOL) do not even glorify some of the laughable,senseless, stale, myopic analysis and prognosis here with a reply. You have said enough already and whoever will not take it like that can continue in ignorance.

Little history:

The first time I heard cucumbers could be grown in the south, I laughed cos I had the mindset I've been fed since being a child..."Food only grows in the north " Then I saw a very Big farm with a lot of other smaller players making huge monies from it then my eyes opened.

I heard about tomatoes also...I doubted till I went to kokori in Delta state. So many examples abound seriously I could go on.

Some one said what will produce 5tons in a hectare in the south will produce 20- 40 tons in the north due to more water in the south and the north's land been more aerated. Hehehehe...Bros you we nor ke person wit laf hia ooo. But on a serious note, there's a lot to productivity in farming; Ever asked yourself why irrigation farming is more common up north??

A misguided person also said crops can't grow properly or we can't rear fishes again in the south, due to oil pollution and Again I laughed. Bros the whole south no dey float on top water u hear Planting is done upland and not in the creeks of the ND. Fishes are also kept in ponds! Thank you

Some one also asked how many of our agricultural produces, grown down south we are able to export?? The list is available in the ministry of commerce. Check it out and it will surprise you. That said I also want to ask...what quantity of things grown up north is exported save beans which I learnt some containers were returned some time back? Need I remind you also that tomatoes are still being imported into Nigeria maybe until recently??

Then the icing on the cake...Tomatoes vs Oil seriously?

I'll end with this. The south is the major spender in Nigeria and if the north feels we'll suffer and die if they hoard their tomatoes and maybe "other things" they bring down south, they would be doing more hurt to themselves cos they can never...I repeat never break even properly in their business without the south buying from them!!

3 Likes

Re: You Bomb Your Oil, I Keep My Tomatoes by freeze001(f): 12:33am On May 16, 2016
bishopkay:

My dear sister (If u r a female though ...cz many people dey change sex for NL ooo LOL) do not even glorify some of the laughable,senseless, stale, myopic analysis and prognosis here with a reply. You have said enough already and whoever will not take it like that can continue in ignorance.

Little history :

The first time I heard cucumbers could be grown in the south, I laughed cos I had the mindset I've been fed since being a child..."Food only grows in the north " Then I saw a very Big farm with a lot of other smaller players making huge monies from it then my eyes opened.

I heard about tomatoes also...I doubted till I went to kokori in Delta state. So many examples abound seriously I could go on.

Some one said what will produce 5tons in a hectare on the south will produce 20- 40 tons in the north. Hehehehe...Bros you weno ke person wit laf hia ooo. But on a serious note, there's a lot to productivity in farming.

A misguided person also said crops can't grow properly or we can't rear fishes again in the south due to oil pollution and Again I laughed. Bros the whole south no dey float on top water u hear Planting is done upland and not in the creeks of he ND. Fishes are also kept in ponds! Thanks

Some one also asked how many of our agricultural produces, grown down south we are able to export?? The list is available in the ministry of commerce. Check it out and it will surprise you. That said I also want to ask...what quantity of things grown up north is exported save beans which I learnt some containers were returned some time back? Need I remind you also that tomatoes are imported into Nigeria maybe until recently??

Then the icing on the cake... Tomatoes vs Oil seriously?

I'll end with this. The south is the major spender in Nigeria and if the north feels we'll suffer and die if they hoard their tomatoes and maybe "other things" they bring down south, they would be doing more hurt to themselves cos they can never...I repeat never break even properly in their business without the south buying from them!!

Thank you and yes, I'm very female! cheesy

I had already determined to put an end to the conversation because the ignorance is contrived and deliberate, I just can't deal!

Thanks for ur intervention my dear brother, and for the extra knowledge too!

4 Likes

Re: You Bomb Your Oil, I Keep My Tomatoes by csamii: 1:03am On May 16, 2016
freeze001:

I had already determined to put an end to the conversation because the ignorance is contrived and deliberate, I just can't deal!

Nne, you really tried eh! Southern lands are very fertile. It's just that education took the fun outta agriculture in the south. Everyone wants to work for a cooperate entity after earning a degree forgetting agriculture can really change their lives. I'm guilty too sha! But each time, I find myself thinking about agriculture and technology and trying to find how to balance both.
Re: You Bomb Your Oil, I Keep My Tomatoes by Ibrahimmrfish(m): 1:35am On May 16, 2016
csamii:

Nne, you really tried eh! Southern lands are very fertile. It's just that education took the fun outta agriculture in the south. Everyone wants to work for a cooperate entity after earning a degree forgetting agriculture can really change their lives. I'm guilty too sha! But each time, I find myself thinking about agriculture and technology and trying to find how to balance both.
Yes your land is more fertile than ours.But what you guys fail to realise is,crops like onion and tomato.Hate too much water,that's why we plant them mostly in dry season.Irigation is what is helping us here.Malaysia and Indonesia have the largest palm oil plantation of earth,cause of the tropical nature of their land.If you guys can go back into palm oil plantation,it will be much better and profitable.You guys are under utilising your land.Stop trying so hard planting what will not grow well under have rain.
Re: You Bomb Your Oil, I Keep My Tomatoes by Nobody: 1:35am On May 16, 2016
freeze001:

the largest rice farm in the early times in West Africa was once in peramabiri in bayelsa state.. The south south can feed itself.

Shuuu...

Fish sef we get berekete. ..who tomatoes epp...as for onions I hate it... angry

1 Like 1 Share

Re: You Bomb Your Oil, I Keep My Tomatoes by Ola17: 2:03am On May 16, 2016
Igbiboi:

[size=21pt]EXCELLENT![/size]

You guys are quite unbelievable. Go to Oyo state, this same tomatoes does excellently well there. The reason most tomato and vegetable farmers abandoned their farms is because of Fulani herdsmen, if not the tomatoes farmed in the south alone can cushion the severe scarcity.

2 Likes

Re: You Bomb Your Oil, I Keep My Tomatoes by joyandfaith: 5:00am On May 16, 2016
mikolo80:

are u sure you live in southwest? most parts of ogun,osun,oyo,ekiti and ondo are agrarian communities. do your reseach further.

1 Like

Re: You Bomb Your Oil, I Keep My Tomatoes by joyandfaith: 5:02am On May 16, 2016
Ola17:

You guys are quite unbelievable. Go to Oyo state, this same tomatoes does excellently well there. The reason most tomato and vegetable farmers abandoned their farms is because of Fulani herdsmen, if not the tomatoes farmed in the south alone can cushion the severe scarcity.

yes oh. in 90s,before buhari people started harassing farmers,tomatoes were abundant in most parts of oyo state .

2 Likes

Re: You Bomb Your Oil, I Keep My Tomatoes by viczo(m): 7:37am On May 16, 2016
look God has already share this things if you live in d north and u want to eat a good banana den the banana most come from outside north what about kolanut,coconut,palm oil do u want to tell me dat north produce all it consumes.while cassava tke 2 to 3 yrs to matual in d north it only takes six months in the south maize,bean,groundnut grows every where so every region can produce groundnut oil etc every region has its own short fall.do u want to compare tomatos and crude oil ha bros na wa 4 u oooo.

1 Like

Re: You Bomb Your Oil, I Keep My Tomatoes by Legitbaba(m): 8:06am On May 16, 2016
americanigga:

we do produce agricultural produce in the south. But the bulk of it comes from them. Everybody knows that. For example you can't grow crops, or fish in most lands and rivers in the South South because of oil pollution
Tell lies... Lies and lies again... Where have u been to in the south sef.. If they decide not to supply food stuffs... Dem go eat their fiid stuffs by themselves na... Abi na fed. Govt. Dey get d proceeds from tomatoes and cow sales... Without d purchasing power of d south... D hunger nd suffering go worse for North

1 Like

Re: You Bomb Your Oil, I Keep My Tomatoes by Legitbaba(m): 8:11am On May 16, 2016
freeze001:

An example of what is grown in the South? You must be kidding!

But I'll oblige you...

Varieties of vegetables, fruits, ogbono, melon seeds, breadfruit, yam, cassava, maize, rice, cocoa, tomatoes, cashew, beans, pepper, palm nuts, coconuts, herbs...I can go on!
U forget plantain?? Potatoes?? Palm oil?? Coconut..??

For animals...we've got goats, bush meat like grasscutters, antelopes, chicken, snails, varieties of fish, pigs, prawns, shrimps, crabs...

I'm assuming u were kidding about asking what is grown in the South but if u are truly ignorant then I hope u're better enlightened and please what I've mentioned is not even close to an exhaustive list. These are only food staples I've mentioned. The commercial trees are also there. Do yourself a favour and research further.
Re: You Bomb Your Oil, I Keep My Tomatoes by Lordave: 8:29am On May 16, 2016
mikolo80:
I don't understand what you guys mean by the North feeds the country!

If we don't buy and pay for their perishable goods, where will they get money to buy what they want and grow their farm products?

Tomatoes, a perishable goods against crude oil?

This OP is sick.
Re: You Bomb Your Oil, I Keep My Tomatoes by flezyblinkzy: 8:35am On May 16, 2016
Op is high oh dry cassava leaf cheesy
Re: You Bomb Your Oil, I Keep My Tomatoes by Goke7: 8:41am On May 16, 2016
its high time we stop all this foolish arguments of who is feeding who, last i checked, every part of Nigeria is contributing something significant to all. The southerners be it ss, se or sw must stop all this bullshit talk of them feeding everybody. The northerners must stop all this threat of them feeding the south.

Have our politicians not divided us enough? why are we so gullible, who dem don epp for our matter, we will be arguing foolishly and they keep on sharing our commonwealth be it oil, tomato or whatever.

Nigerians be wise, are you not tired of this suffering?
Re: You Bomb Your Oil, I Keep My Tomatoes by mikolo80: 12:22pm On May 16, 2016
Lordave:

If we don't buy and pay for their perishable goods, where will they get money to buy what they want and grow their farm products?

This OP is sick.
you cannot eat crude oil. and if war breaks out you will not be able to sell the oil while surrounded by enemy Forces(not corrupt pdp army this time o) all we(I) are saying is we need each other. no need for unnecessary suffering. all you need to do is introduce a bill and promise to settle all (Northern and southern) hungry politicians 10 10 billion (even ordinary 1 billion they will capitulate) vote in favor of resource control
Re: You Bomb Your Oil, I Keep My Tomatoes by mikolo80: 12:23pm On May 16, 2016
Lordave:

This OP is sick.
you cannot eat crude oil. and if war breaks out you will not be able to sell the oil while surrounded by enemy Forces(not corrupt pdp army this time o) all we(I) are saying is we need each other. no need for unnecessary suffering. all you need to do is introduce a bill and promise to settle all (Northern and southern) hungry politicians 10 10 billion (even ordinary 1 billion they will capitulate) vote in favor of resource control .no need for wanton suffering
Re: You Bomb Your Oil, I Keep My Tomatoes by mikolo80: 12:46pm On May 16, 2016
joyandfaith:

are u sure you live in southwest? most parts of ogun,osun,oyo,ekiti and ondo are agrarian communities. do your reseach further.
yet there is tomato scarcity. are you sure you're in Nigeria.?we plant different things, mainly trees and tubers in south and almost everything else in north.can you eat only yam and cassava for a whole year, no pepper, no tomato,no onion, no beans,. see I'm not happy about it,we need each other while militants are not fighting for their people just their pockets like Tompolo and asari, if not they would have gone after their govs senators councillors, reps, etc

(1) (2) (Reply)

Igbos To Boyccot General Election In 2019 – Igbo Leaders / I Will Crumble Nigeria Nnamdi Kanu Threatens Today Despite Bail / See The Moment Soldiers Opened Fire On Shiite Muslims In Abuja. Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 90
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.