Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,168,819 members, 7,872,752 topics. Date: Wednesday, 26 June 2024 at 09:04 PM

NLC Strike 18th May 2016 , Protest Photos Around The Country - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / NLC Strike 18th May 2016 , Protest Photos Around The Country (1941 Views)

Adeyanju Deji, Charly Boy, Others Continue Resume Or Resign Protest (Photos) / Placards From The 'I Stand With Nigeria' Protest (Photos) / Kano Youths Burn Gaya And Muhmud's Houses During Protest (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

NLC Strike 18th May 2016 , Protest Photos Around The Country by viviangist: 9:34am On May 18, 2016
On The Planned Workers' Strike/protests Over Fuel Price. It seems reason has prevailed over emotion/passion on the planned nation wide indefinite strike and protests by the leadership of labour unions- NLC/TUC.

I did advise the leadership of labour unions to press for an improved welfare for workers rather than egaging the govt in an unnecessary fight over the long over-dued deregulation of the down stream sector of the petroleum industry.
As it is now, I believed the workers' union leadership has toed the right path and listened to the voice of wisdom emanating from many wellmeaning Nigerians.

We hope the govt will play its own part well by ensuring that the promised palliative measures aimed at cushioning the harshness of the deregulation policy are impemented as soon as possible.

Nigerians are ready to support any good policy by the govt provided that the govt acts responsibly. We are ready to make the neccessary sacrifice that will bring about a better Nigeria in the nearest future.

The suspension or failure of the strike/protests is a victory to the great Nigerian workers in particular, and a collective victory for all Nigerians.
It portrays that we are ready to work together as a nation to ensure a better and secured future for all.
Kudos to the Nigerian workers! - Vivian Gist

Source http://www.viviangist.com/nlc-strike-18th-may-2016-protest-photos-around-the-country

Cc; lalasticlala

Re: NLC Strike 18th May 2016 , Protest Photos Around The Country by talktonase(m): 9:39am On May 18, 2016
NLC is losing the battle already,see as them scanty...

2 Likes

Re: NLC Strike 18th May 2016 , Protest Photos Around The Country by viviangist: 9:39am On May 18, 2016
Comments Around the Country Read Below ....

It appears the blind can not see crystal clearly, the lame can walk, and the gullible has become wise and the Bush meat are willing to hunt the hunters. Unfortunately the Nigerians will not join the Labour in this selective battle.
Chibok girls have disappeared into the thin air and no NLC leader fronts a protest, Dino Melaye drives fleets of expensive cars without a defined and traceable genuine income but there is no protest, Nigerians practically live in darkness yet pay for utility without any NLC to speak of their troubles, Kano kids died in fatal accident while they were travelling to represent state in a competitive academic quiz without a stage protest.
What makes the difference in this selective battle? I also gathered their house is not in order so a divided house can not fight a battle unless they fight a weak body, going against court order is another disrespect to the Nigerian laws and they will like to teach the kids of today to obey laws and order.
The Warriors that I read about analyse battles before they embark on one to determine if it's worthwhile and if there are chances of winning but NLC herr has missed out.
Final question is "Are we on strike"? - Nigerian

Vivian Gist

Re: NLC Strike 18th May 2016 , Protest Photos Around The Country by viviangist: 9:43am On May 18, 2016
NLC Gives 6 Reasona Why Strike Must Go On
The Nigerian Labour Congress (NLC) has enunciated six reasons it is calling for an indefinite nationwide strike from Wednesday, in concert with the Trade Union Congress (TUC) and civil society organisations, to protest the increase in pump price of petrol from N86.50 to N145 per litre and force a reversal. It is based on this that INFORMATION NIGERIA has extracted the 6 reasons enunciated by Dr. Peter Ozo-Eson, the General Secretary of the NLC in his own words below.
Given the harsh economic times in which Nigerians are living, which have been further compounded initially by the hike in electricity tariff,this is not the time to visit another hardship on Nigerians. The economic crisis that the nation is facing already has major negative impact on workers. An average worker on current wage cannot survive because the real wage has been so badly eroded. If we compound it (the problem) through this, we are going to find a situation where there would be conditions that would completely destabilise the workers and their families.
We are having a government now directing importers of petroleum products to go into the black market to source for foreign exchange. We think this is a recipe for economic crisis because what will happen is that when the volume of the demand for foreign exchange needed to fund importation of products is moved into the black market, the value of the naira is going to crash. And if that were to happen, it has implications on the overall economy itself.
A situation where the domestic price of PMS (Premium Motor Spirit) will now be determined by forces in the black market exchange rate is something that is not good for the economy and we are opposed to it.
It is going to create a circle because what will happen is that once demand forces further depreciation of the value of the naira, then the template that has been used to arrive at the N145 now will have to be taken into consideration (reviewed). And so, it is a vicious circle that will never end.
The minister used deceit to market whatever policy they had brought forward. For the avoidance of doubt, I will just state clearly what happened: On Tuesday, at about 4:30pm, we received a letter from the Vice President’s Office addressed to the President of Congress (NLC), inviting him to a meeting at 12 noon yesterday (Wednesday) for what was termed in that letter as consultative meeting. No subject matter was mentioned. Because the NLC President was not officially available – he is on official assignment outside the country – we discussed the invitation and it was agreed that I would go to represent the congress. And I was there to represent the congress. It was at that table yesterday (Wednesday) that we saw the agenda, where it was stated that the minister would make a presentation. And he made a presentation. Having made it, the Vice President (Prof. Yemi Osinbajo) then asked people to discuss or comment or ask questions. In that meeting, we discovered there were a number of senators led by the Deputy Senate President (Sen. Ike Ekweremadu); there were a number of members of the House, led by the Speaker of the House (Mr. Yakubu Dogara); there were a number of state governors led by the Chairman of the Nigerian Governors’ Forum. And there were three of us representing Labour. I represented the NLC; the President of the Trade Union Congress represented the TUC, while the President of NUPENG represented NUPENG.There were comments mainly from the members of the House and the Senate. Some asked questions and the others advised as to the sensitivity of the matter and all that. Because we were confronting the matter for the first time, we were quiet until the Vice President now chose to call us individually by name. He called on me and asked what the position of the NLC was. I responded that as far as we were concerned, we had heard the presentation, we were a democratic organisation, we would take the substance of the presentation to our organ’s meeting and when our organ’s meeting had deliberated on it, we would get back to them. The TUC President said virtually the same. He (Osinbajo) asked the NUPENG President, who also said virtually the same thing. Thus, we ended that meeting, at least from our side, with the position that we needed to take the presentation and discuss it within our organs before we get back to them.I was completely taken aback when I was just returning to the office when a journalist called me and said government was increasing the price of PMS (petrol) to N145 per litre. I also heard later in the news that the decision was taken in the meeting that we attended. That is a lie! I make bold to say it today that that is a lie. And government shouldn’t use lies to market whatever policies they have taken. We were no party to that decision. We need to be very clear.
Yes, it is illegal. There is a law; the Petroleum Products Pricing Regulatory Agency Act stipulates the legal framework for the management of prices of petroleum products. That power is vested in the PPPRA board and the law carefully puts in place the membership of that board. Stakeholders’ representation is what makes up that board. We are by law a member of that board; National Union of Road Transport Workers by law is a member of that board; NUPENG by law is a member of that board; PENGASSAN is a member of that board, and various others, including the Independent Petroleum Marketers Association of Nigeria, the major marketers and others. It is actually the board that should review the template. When we heard that the PPPRA had reviewed the template and had come out with a recommended price; that was illegal because the PPPRA, with the way it is functioning now, is an extension of the Office of the Minister of State for Petroleum Resources. The minister has become a sole administrator in the sector. There is no board for the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation, there is no board for the PPPRA, hence, for anyone to perform their function is therefore illegal. Even before now, we have written formally to the government — to Mr. President — demanding that the legal line be followed and that the board be constituted. So, it is illegal.

Read More Updates Here http://www.viviangist.com/nlc-strike-18th-may-2016-protest-photos-around-the-country
Re: NLC Strike 18th May 2016 , Protest Photos Around The Country by Nobody: 9:44am On May 18, 2016
Re: NLC Strike 18th May 2016 , Protest Photos Around The Country by erunz(m): 9:47am On May 18, 2016
OK
Re: NLC Strike 18th May 2016 , Protest Photos Around The Country by Built2last: 9:50am On May 18, 2016
ok na
Re: NLC Strike 18th May 2016 , Protest Photos Around The Country by iluvnaija: 9:59am On May 18, 2016
Ya'll are just wasting time. Nigeria cannot be fixed!

PDP wont allow it, the money interest wont allow it, even members of Buhari team wont allow it, sabotuars wont allow it no matter how hard Buhari may try.

Mark my words!
Re: NLC Strike 18th May 2016 , Protest Photos Around The Country by feelamong(m): 10:57am On May 18, 2016
VERY MASSIVE CROWD!! grin grin grin
Re: NLC Strike 18th May 2016 , Protest Photos Around The Country by orobs93(m): 11:08am On May 18, 2016
Anything that will make the masses suffer sud be condemn
Becus u hav a good job or ur father is giving u money is not enuf reason for u to open ur mouth and brain and think rubbish
Re: NLC Strike 18th May 2016 , Protest Photos Around The Country by israelboy1(m): 11:45am On May 18, 2016
The perfect word to use, in describing the things going on in this nation is simply nowhere to be found....i thought a gold must pass through fire, before it shines...but, the present situation is simply more than FIRE... 1 tomato fruit is now been sold for N100...things are becoming expensive and unbearable..all we need is just to fight for our own survival...cos, the game is now turning out to be the fight of TWO ELEPHANTS..and you know the funniest thing, if two elephants engage in a fight in the forest, the grasses are the ones to suffer

GOD BLESS MY COUNTRY
Re: NLC Strike 18th May 2016 , Protest Photos Around The Country by Jean2(m): 2:33pm On May 18, 2016
The talk is on Fuel Price increase not subsidy removal.

We have been served several bitter pills prior to this.

The most painful to me is the increase in electricity tariff 'forced down our throat ' the same way APC government of deceit sell their CHANGE agenda. Instead of increased power supply it presently is as good as grounded.

Wither the make $1 = N1. Can it be that we missed out the zeros, PMB meant $1 = N 1,000?

....Gird your loins more bitter pills are soon to be released....

(1) (Reply)

Senator's Corpse Found Dead In A Pond Behind His Home In Ebonyi / How The Northern Leaders Control Governors In Igboland. / Should Buhari Arrest Gej Now?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.