Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,343 members, 7,881,265 topics. Date: Friday, 05 July 2024 at 03:32 PM

How To Prevent Your Car From Thieves - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / How To Prevent Your Car From Thieves (23804 Views)

Man Hangs ₦540million Super Car From The Ceiling Of His Apartment In U.S.(Photo) / 7 Steps To Buy Your Car From USA And Ship To Nigeria Without Leaving Your Bed. / Advantages And Disadvantages Of Buying Your Car From Cotonou (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How To Prevent Your Car From Thieves by Ezedon(m): 2:56pm On May 18, 2016
Buy cheap cars and be free from robbers

1 Like

Re: How To Prevent Your Car From Thieves by AntiWailer: 2:59pm On May 18, 2016
Just insure the car.

Insurance will have to bother their head with 200 points.
Re: How To Prevent Your Car From Thieves by Nobody: 3:18pm On May 18, 2016
You make sense
Re: How To Prevent Your Car From Thieves by tivta(m): 3:20pm On May 18, 2016
Simple defense is, use paddle lock

2 Likes

Re: How To Prevent Your Car From Thieves by alaskido(m): 3:28pm On May 18, 2016
My car is a junk. I leave the glass wound down and no one even looks at it. It is old and rickety.

2 Likes

Re: How To Prevent Your Car From Thieves by hardbody: 3:35pm On May 18, 2016
AutofactorNG:
Car thieves are always coming up with more improved ways of stealing cars at the detriment of the owners, leaving them unsafe and uncomfortable when driving their cars outside their homes. Although cars often come with locks and securities, they are usually not enough to stop the thieves. Also sometimes a large amount of car thefts is due to the negligence and carelessness of the owner. However, there are a number of ways within our reach that can be used to prevent car theft and they include.

• Close all windows and lock all doors and the boot (trunk), even if you only leave your car for a moment.
• Never leave your vehicle running unattended.
• Where possible, park in a well-lit highly visible area, preferably off the road. At night, choose secure or well-lit car parks, with pedestrian traffic. Avoid leaving your vehicle in a car park for a long time.
• Try to park the vehicle with the front facing an obstacle and lock the steering.
• Always try to use all protection you have on the vehicle. Put all labels for protection devices in a visible place as this will scare petty thieves away(do not display your GPS label)
• Disable the vehicle using a starter interrupt switch ( "kill switch" ). Installation is not expensive.
• Use VIN etching. This chemically etches the Vehicle Identification Number or registration number on the windows of your vehicle which is an effective deterrent for thieves. "Chop shops" (places where stolen cars are disassembled to be sold for parts) thrive on vehicles that have easily removable VINs or no etching at all.
• If you leave the vehicle for a longer period, take off the fuses, or disconnect the power supply, after consulting your mechanic.
• These precautions should be taken even if your car is in your garage. Also close all access to the garage (entry barriers) and the garage door itself.
• Never leave your keys with car park employees or in car wash services.
• Never mark your keys with your name and address. Mark them with your business name and suburb or driver's license number.
• At your home, do not leave keys lying around on tables, desks or key hooks.
• Remove registration papers from your motor vehicle, to make it difficult for the thief to sell it on the black market.

Source: http://autofactorng..com.ng/2016/05/how-to-prevent-your-car-from-thieves.html

Why go through all these stress when they will ask for the keys and you will beg them to collect and spare you any fatal harm.

For this 9ja? Just take minimal care but insure with a reputable underwriter and procure yourself peace of mind .
Re: How To Prevent Your Car From Thieves by waley007(m): 4:05pm On May 18, 2016
Princeredz:
no.. theres more
how did u do dat,can u help??
Re: How To Prevent Your Car From Thieves by waley007(m): 4:05pm On May 18, 2016
seunlayi:
Anybody that steal my car will just have to abandon it because fuel will fail to supply to the carburetor. Thanks to my friend that installed something on it
how did u do dat,please can u help?
Re: How To Prevent Your Car From Thieves by qtx(m): 4:14pm On May 18, 2016
U try
Re: How To Prevent Your Car From Thieves by qtx(m): 4:16pm On May 18, 2016
alaskido:
My car is a junk. I leave the glass wound down and no one even looks at it. It is old and rickety.
lol. Better put" Your Car is trouble. open all doors and leave the key in it and no one will dare come near bc no one will want pushing and repairing." grin

2 Likes

Re: How To Prevent Your Car From Thieves by Bluffly: 4:31pm On May 18, 2016
emmaak2:
ALL THIS TALK NA RUBBISH,ONLY GOD PROTECTS

Oga bombay master, could you please ask yourself, why those that made the same car did not say only God can provide a car? Stop mocking God, He has given you a sense from heaven above, so make good use of it, God formed you from dust, breath into you, gave you sight, hearing, and motion aids, and yet you think He is s dummy. God knows where to come in in precarious situations but you have to do your own bits.
Re: How To Prevent Your Car From Thieves by professore(m): 5:30pm On May 18, 2016
Nice thread esp a few points at the ending
Re: How To Prevent Your Car From Thieves by Kposkila: 6:04pm On May 18, 2016
seunlayi:
Anybody that steal my car will just have to abandon it because fuel will fail to supply to the carburetor. Thanks to my friend that installed something on it
Pls can u share such wonderful info?
Re: How To Prevent Your Car From Thieves by oluwanoni: 6:38pm On May 18, 2016
Ezedon:
Buy cheap cars and be free from robbers
This is a very wrong notion.

Last week I packed my vehicle opposite my office only for me to reach there, tried opening it, only one door opened, since it's central locked, all should open once, we'll I thought probably because of the rain, thebat3 went flat, shifting to the drivers seat, starter it but nothing, no light @ll...

My first instinct was this is a cheap car, in fact it's not painted, dents all over, them no fit pity me.

I thought to myself only one 2things are involved, the alternator is gone or battery, I checked my book and saw its was forcefully opened... The battery was gone, mine wasn't the only vehicle tampered with.

Couldn't find any battery charger or mech, late in the night to help, I quickly reasoned that since it was only the battery we would look for another vehicle, and a colleague helped us with his car battery.

Point to note, doesn't matter if it's cheap or expensive, if your vehicle is stripped down am sure parts gain when sold would not be less than 20k in this difficult economy, if someone gift you 20k am sure they would make your day.

I am installing an alarm soonest, I don't even have funds for a new battery yet.

1 Like

Re: How To Prevent Your Car From Thieves by harizonal123(m): 6:45pm On May 18, 2016
Re: How To Prevent Your Car From Thieves by Faith111: 6:56pm On May 18, 2016
I just remembered how they stole my car last year despite all the hiding...
cry cry
Re: How To Prevent Your Car From Thieves by Nobody: 6:58pm On May 18, 2016
Thank you.
Re: How To Prevent Your Car From Thieves by Nobody: 9:27pm On May 18, 2016
Securing your vehicle and
monitoring family or small fleet
drivers is easy with our car
tracker and Free tracking
application. Take full control of
your vehicles from the privacy
of your mobile phone, tablets or
PC - anywhere, anyday, anytime
• Track your car on any phone
with simple SMS
• Track your car on any internet
enable phone (optional)
• Free smartphone & tablet
tracking software
• Automatic notification in case
of theft
• Ignition and engine shutdown
via SMS. Stay in control in case
of theft
• Vehicle recovery feature in
mobile app if stolen
• Prevent unauthorized trips
from drivers
• Monitor excessive speed by
your driver, children etc
• Fuel log: Monitor fuel, prevent
fuel theft and control costs
• Monitor drivers conversation in
your car
• Understand locations instantly
without zooming in/out
• Add up to 1,000 own locations
(office, home, client Church,
Restaurant, joints etc..)
• Multi-lingual with selectable
primary language (English,
French, Arabic etc…)
• Accelerometer for towing
alarms, secure parked and
unguarded vehicles.
• Monitor your car anywhere in
the Nigeria
***Our Quality never goes out of
service***
Free Installations and Technical
support
Office and Home Installation
available
Call / WhatsApp us on 08144758217
www.facebook.com/vehicletracker9ja
Re: How To Prevent Your Car From Thieves by udy4real(m): 10:20pm On May 18, 2016
OlujobaSamuel:
am used to steering the wheel to dead end of any angle them lock up the steering. there is also a gadget in the car that when removed no one can start it except you will have to restructure the engine.

Pls how do I get dis gadget?
Re: How To Prevent Your Car From Thieves by OlujobaSamuel: 10:49pm On May 18, 2016
udy4real:

Pls how do I get dis gadget?
sincerely, I don't know, the gadget was preinstalled in the vehicle, the mechanic said it's now faulty but we have been unable to get another, however, the vehicle is working without any itch, but will not start if removed. It's an old vehicle though, opel frontera, 1999 or 2003model,, can't remember the exact.
modified
consult car trackers, there's this gadget my uncle installed on his Benz eleganz, without pressing it twice before you start the vehicle, the vehicle stops after 3mins on motion, only you can determine where you want it installed on the vehicle. I don't know the name ooo.
Am sorry for my "don't know rhetoric", car and it's component is not my thing. I only know how to check necessary things before starting the vehicle.
Re: How To Prevent Your Car From Thieves by BushDoctor123: 10:49pm On May 18, 2016
Krisan234:
Just buy Koboko & Army cap and place two of them on ur dashboard, Thank me later, Simple.
Pray make u no meet military check point, u go no say khaki no bi leather.
Re: How To Prevent Your Car From Thieves by Donbasi(m): 12:27am On May 19, 2016
All these ones na long story just call me up for your car insurance we do life and non life insurance and my company pays claims in 3 days Cornerstone Insurance Plc
Re: How To Prevent Your Car From Thieves by predatorX: 5:45am On May 19, 2016
In addition to all.

Look for the fuel pump wiring harness or the fuel pump fuse and wire a kill switch in series with the Live. Once that switch is flicked off, the fuel pump is dead. No fuel, no start. No start, no move.
Them go crank that engine taya
Re: How To Prevent Your Car From Thieves by Nobody: 7:27am On May 20, 2016
Do a comprehensive insurance. If they steal your car, you get another one. Simple.
Re: How To Prevent Your Car From Thieves by billyG(m): 3:16pm On Jun 19, 2016
Hand a small gourd tied with red cloth on d steering no onyoshi will go near it.
Re: How To Prevent Your Car From Thieves by Nobody: 5:04pm On Jun 27, 2016
An average of over 2 billion dollars worth of cars are stolen in Nigeria per year, with less than 15 percent of them recovered. A car doesn’t have to be expensive to be a target. Thieves often steal vehicles just to strip them of their parts and metal components. Others steal cars to use as getaway vehicles while committing other crimes. It doesn’t matter if you drive a new luxury sedan or an old pickup truck. Car theft is a reality that you need to guard against. Multiple devices are available that help protect against your vehicle getting stolen.

1. Car Alarm

Nearly everyone is familiar with the basic car alarm. You probably hear at least one or two go off every day if you live or work in a metropolitan area. The alarm activates when a thief breaks a window, opens a door or tries to start a car without turning the alarm off first. Some alarms are deactivated with an access code, while others turn off remotely using a key fob.

One advantage of car alarms is that they make it harder for a car thief to operate anonymously. Thieves don’t want attention, and a loud, blaring siren is bound to get the attention of anyone nearby, including the car owner. As a result, the thief is more likely to bypass a car with an alarm for a vehicle without one.

The disadvantage of car alarms is how common they are and how often they go off accidently. The panic button on the key fob in someone’s pocket often gets pushed accidently, either in the pocket or while the owner is pulling the keys out, and this triggers a false alarm. Society in general is so used to car alarms going off inadvertently that many people don’t even turn and look in the direction of an alarm anymore. It’s become a normal part of urban society. Some alarms are also expensive and may not be in your price range.

2. Steering Wheel Lock Bar

A steering wheel lock bar slides over the steering wheel and locks in place, preventing a thief from being able to turn the wheel because the bar hits the car door, preventing the wheel from turning. The bar is typically made out of hardened metal to make it difficult to cut. It also slides inward to make it more compact when not in use, allowing you to store it quickly under the seat or in the trunk.

One advantage of the steering wheel lock bar is that it’s simple and easy to use. It fits onto the steering wheel in seconds and just requires a key to remove it. It is also cost-effective, with many brands costing less than $50.

One disadvantage is inconvenience. While it is quick to put on and take off, this process easily grows tiresome for some users, and you likely grow complacent over time and start leaving it off more often than putting it onto the steering wheel. The other disadvantage is that the bar is easy to remove for a prepared thief. While the bar itself is difficult to cut, the steering wheel itself is not. A thief with a saw or knife hacks through the steering wheel and pulls the lock bar off in a few seconds.

3. Kill Switch

A kill switch works either as a stand-alone device or with an alarm system. When a thief tries to start the car without a key, the kill switch cuts off the fuel to the car or shuts off the electrical system, preventing the thief from taking the car anywhere. The kill switch is disengaged with a plastic key or an entry code, much like a car alarm.

One advantage of a kill switch is that it makes it harder for a thief to take the car after he has broken into it. While a kill switch does nothing to protect the valuables in your car, the car itself is not likely to go anywhere. The cost of a kill switch is minimal, typically under $100.

The disadvantage is that some people dislike having to enter a code or insert an extra key every time they want to start their car. The other disadvantage is if the kill switch malfunctions, you can’t drive your car anywhere until it is repaired. It also does nothing to prevent someone from breaking into the car itself because the switch is usually hidden.
4. Brake Lock

A brake lock works by attaching to your brake pedal and locking behind it, making it impossible to suppress the brake until the device is removed. It is made out of hardened metal as well, making it difficult to cut. Cutting the brake pedal itself renders the vehicle essentially undriveable, making it an unlikely solution for car thieves.

The advantage of this is that it is cost-effective, typically under $40, and easy to use. It offers a more reliable car theft solution than the steering wheel lock bar, because it is not as easily removed.

The disadvantage is the inconvenience of placing the lock on and taking the lock off every time you get in and out of your car. There are devices on the market specifically designed to break off the brake lock as well, but a car thief needs to be prepared with one, which is usually unlikely.

5. Tracking Device

A tracking device uses GPS technology to follow your car after it is stolen, aiding in its recovery. Many services also offer in-car communication as well, where a representative from the tracking company contacts you in the event of a car accident and dispatches emergency services to your location. Many tracking companies can also disable a car remotely if they know the car has been stolen.

Having a sticker on the car advertising the tracking device acts as a deterrent because thieves don’t want the hassle of trying to deactivate it and don’t want to risk capture by stealing a car that police can track. Tracking devices make your car easier to be found in the event of a theft, and therefore offer additional piece of mind as well.
It's the best reliable convenient option for car security also work as surveillance. Contact #Vehicletracker9ja# for vehicle's tracking solutions and recovery in Nigeria.

OUR PRODUCT

Features of our product

• Worldwide map coverage: We can track your vehicles even when it is driven outside Nigeria. Map shows street name, major roads and highways, landmark in any country.

• Check location by SMS: SMS location report shows street name, city, time, and engine status. If the vehicle is in a place where streets are not named, SMS shall report vehicle location to the nearest landmark like churches, mosque, banks etc.

• Online Tracking: Our online tracking shows the vehicle moving on your computer screen at intervals.

• You can also track by map coordinates and Maplink on your smart phone.

• Track vehicle by SMS and call.

• Our online platform can accommodate more 500 vehicles.

• Remotely listen to conversation in and around the vehicle

• High sensitivity, new technology and latest GPS chipset.

• Efficient battery back-up: battery back-up is very useful when thieves remove the car battery and decide to tow the car, the car could still be tracked.

• Works well even in areas with limited sky view like villages.

• When Vehicle is driven to remote areas like villages where street names are not available, our tracker will show vehicle location to the nearest landmarks like rivers, churches, mosque etc.

• Support unlimited number of phone numbers for call-in and SMS.

• Voltage range between 6V and 36V; Suitable for all kinds of vehicles such as cars, buses, trucks, trailer.

• Remotely shutdown/restore vehicle by SMS and call.

• It can track a vehicle's location, speed and direction throughout the world with “Theft Alert” mode. Anti-theft mode is useful when vehicle is parked in an unsafe environment. You can arm the car against theft, even when the vehicle key is used, the vehicle will not start.

• Our tracker is designed for full covert installations. Most of the corporate fleet owners consider that a fully hidden installation is the only way to reduce staff’s vehicle misuse.

Applications

- Tracking and management of vehicle fleet
- Cargo Tracking
- Surveillance Work
- Anti-theft and recovery

We install vehicle tracker device all over Nigeria.
Contact us Call / Whatsapp 08144758217 .

www.facebook.com/vehicletracker9ja

Source www.exceltracking..com

Conclusion

Car theft is a serious problem, However, always lock all your doors, keep your windows up and follow basic common sense whenever leaving your vehicle. Additional security measures do help prevent your car from being stolen.
Re: How To Prevent Your Car From Thieves by Nobody: 8:02am On Jul 16, 2016
monitoring family or small fleet drivers is easy with our car tracker and Free tracking application. Take full control of your vehicles from the privacy of your mobile phone, tablets or PC - anywhere, anyday, anytime
• Track your car on any phone with simple SMS
• Track your car on any internet enable phone (optional)
• Free smartphone & tablet tracking software
• Automatic notification in case of theft
• Ignition and engine shutdown via SMS. Stay in control in case of theft
• Vehicle recovery feature in mobile app if stolen
• Prevent unauthorized trips from drivers
• Monitor excessive speed by your driver, children etc
• Fuel log: Monitor fuel, prevent fuel theft and control costs
• Monitor drivers conversation in your car • Understand locations instantly without zooming in/out
• Add up to 1,000 own locations (office, home, client Church, Restaurant, joints etc..)
• Multi-lingual with selectable primary language (English, French, Arabic etc…)
• Accelerometer for towing alarms, secure parked and unguarded vehicles.
• Monitor your car anywhere in the Nigeria

***Our Quality never goes out of service***
Free Installations and Technical support Office and Home Installation available Call /WhatsApp us on 08144758217 or join the discussion on social media www.facebook.com/vehicletracker9ja . we have different prices and package that suit your budget depends what you really want
Re: How To Prevent Your Car From Thieves by Max24: 8:07am On Jul 28, 2016
Exponental:
All cars can be stolen at gun point...QED. Only Divine protection is sure.
And where can I buy the divine protection ? And sorry, before you tell me its free my G.O 's SUV just got stollen recently. Does that mean my G.O 's car lack divine protection ? Nigerians and religion!!
Re: How To Prevent Your Car From Thieves by shedyman: 12:14pm On Aug 07, 2016
An attempt was made at my car two weeks ago, the stick like break and steering lock was broken. Luckily for me the factory fitted immobiliser prevented the intruder from going away with the vehicle.

1 Like

Re: How To Prevent Your Car From Thieves by Kingsdave(m): 8:47pm On Aug 01, 2019
seunlayi:

Please what is that.... Help me

(1) (2) (Reply)

Fhemmy Motors Presents: Auto Security Tips *Video Attached* / 8 Japanese Automakers And Their First Cars (photos) / Nigerian Car Names

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.