Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,169,766 members, 7,875,923 topics. Date: Sunday, 30 June 2024 at 02:14 AM

Deadly Change: Read What Is Happening To The River Niger - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Deadly Change: Read What Is Happening To The River Niger (1033 Views)

Amaechi, Yahaya Bello Flag Off Dredging Of River Niger Ajaokuta-Onitsha Waterway / My Deadly "Change" Experience / Biafra Protesters Throw Policemen In River-Niger, Kill One (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Deadly Change: Read What Is Happening To The River Niger by CyrexSnr(m): 5:58am On May 20, 2016
The alarm was raised on Thursday, May 19, at a meeting in which the need to pay more attention to the development was raised. Vanguard reports that the Auditor General of the Federation (AGF), Mr Samuel Tyonongo Ukura, made the disclosure during a meeting with the Edo state Auditor-General and members of the Edo state public accounts committee in his office in Abuja. Ukura, however, assured that Nigeria was in the process of conducting an environmental audit of the River Niger to determine its level of dryness. Meanwhile, AGoF has called on the National Assembly to pass the Audit Bill into law. He said there were certain international ratings that the country cannot attain without passing an audit law. Ukura explained that the initial investigation of the River Niger showed that the decline of the river’s flow was mainly due to climate change, industrial waste and problems caused by population growth. River Niger has a total length of about 4100 kilometres and is the third longest river in Africa, after the Nile and the Congo-Zaire rivers and spreads through ten countries. It is estimated that about 110 million people live in the river’s basin. Ukura said the audit will be done under the African Supreme Audit Institute (AFROSAI), with Mali, Niger, Burkina Faso, Benin, Cameroon, Algeria, Chad and Cote I’voire taking centre stage as they are directly affected. He said it was necessary for government to address the issue so as to avoid a repeat of the negative impact of the drying up of Lake Chad. “Within a few decades, River Niger will completely disappear. There are certain things in the preliminary investigation we discovered that is happening. People have been building dams without authorisation along the river. “And the law establishing the River Niger Basin Commission states that before you do any serious activity along the River Niger, you have to tell other countries.” But these activities are taking place without authorisation. “Also the river is being misused. There are certain activities that will cause the river to dry up, like dumping waste. “People dump certain things like toxin waste and it destroys our aquatic system. So we will look at these things to see what can be done to stop its drying,” he said. He said that the countries plan to hold a meeting to this effect in September, here in Nigeria. On the call on the National Assembly to pass the Audit Bill into law, Mr Ukura said there were certain international ratings that the country cannot attain without passing an audit law. According to him, “The audit law was created in 1956 when the main sources of revenue was from the sale of cocoa, soyabeans, groundnut, timber, palm oil and the rest. So this needs to be looked at. “Also, the audit law when passed will give the office of the Auditor-General more power and some hidden forces do not want this . “This is because the new law will give the office the power to sanction and disallow certain expenditure and some people do not want that,” he said. In his remarks, the Auditor-General, Edo state, Mr Bernard Aigbe said that the he and members of his office were there to see how to bridge gaps between the two offices. Aigbe noted that the office of the Auditor-General of the Federation had introduced certain strategies at federal level to ensure efficient use of government resources which he planned to introduce in Edo state. Their focus he said was on the Treasury and Performance Audit which tries to monitor and evaluate government expenditure on capital projects to ensure completion.
Source:- http://naijacamp.ga/forum2_theme_112313790.xhtml?tema=136
Re: Deadly Change: Read What Is Happening To The River Niger by Nusaf: 6:04am On May 20, 2016
@op In this era of change, u need to specify the type of change u are referring to. This is a case of environmental and climatic change.
Re: Deadly Change: Read What Is Happening To The River Niger by Nobody: 8:45am On May 20, 2016
Photos or I dont believe

- The audit is not necessary because "people have been building dams without authorisation along the river." You see what PDP has caused us in the last 16 years plus. River Niger is finished!

- “People dump certain things like toxin waste and it destroys our aquatic system. So we will look at these things to see what can be done to stop its drying." Imagine Peter Obi commissioning a beer factory at the foot of River Niger, Onitsha Head Bridge. The state government is also responsible for the decay.

- Ministry of Environment at the Federal and State levels should investigate this development and all parties should be sanctioned accordingly.

- Anyway, we have to stop the proposed 2nd Niger bridge because there would be land soon.

- We can transfer the money to building more military barracks and formations in the East to strengthen security presence in the region.

Amazing statement, if true.

Where is lalasticlala sef undecided
Re: Deadly Change: Read What Is Happening To The River Niger by chriskosherbal(m): 8:49am On May 20, 2016
I can see
Re: Deadly Change: Read What Is Happening To The River Niger by Nobody: 8:49am On May 20, 2016
I hope this is not another excuse to stop resumption of work at Second River Niger Bridge...I don't trust this people. They stop initial work after bogus excuse of non settlement of land owners in the community and bogus safety reasons. Safety indeed...when did you people start caring about Igbos? Lol
Re: Deadly Change: Read What Is Happening To The River Niger by Shukuakukobambi: 8:56am On May 20, 2016
Clinton9000:
I hope this is not another excuse to stop resumption of work at Second River Niger Bridge...I don't trust this people. They stop initial work after bogus excuse of non settlement of land owners in the community and bogus safety reasons. Safety indeed...when did you people start caring about Igbos? Lol

Even GEJ the 'Azikiwe' didn't care. I wonder why? angry
Re: Deadly Change: Read What Is Happening To The River Niger by realjoker(m): 10:10am On May 20, 2016
Clinton9000:
I pity your generation. you are an unrepentant tribal jingoist, I wonder how you go to bed at night with this your warp way of reasoning.

(1) (Reply)

Nigeria Ranked 4th In Africa's Most Powerful Militaries / Breaking News: New Militant Group Emerges / AMCON Takes Over Jimoh Ibrahim’s Worldwide Assets Over N50b Debt

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.