Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,176,019 members, 7,896,294 topics. Date: Sunday, 21 July 2024 at 10:31 AM

A Post By Google's Founder Larry Page Pre-Google in 1996 - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / A Post By Google's Founder Larry Page Pre-Google in 1996 (1231 Views)

How To Index Your New Blog Post On Google In A Minute / 13 Year Old Indian Boy Hired By Google At A Package Of 1.25 Million Dollar/year / A Simpler Website Testing Tool Is Launched By Google Targeting Small Businesses (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

A Post By Google's Founder Larry Page Pre-Google in 1996 by Douglasin: 11:56am On May 20, 2016
Hi People.
I came across a question that was posted by Lawrence (Larry) page at the beginning of a dissertation that eventually became the 2nd Most valuable band in the world.
He was in the process of building a web crawler in the new programming language that came out a year earlier (Java) and he was having some issues with it.
I thought I should share the question. It should even be put in a coding museum. Don't you think?

"I have a web robot which is a Java app. I need to be able to set the
User-Agent field in the HTTP header in order to be a good net citizen (so
people know who is accessing their server). Anyone have any ideas?
Right now, Java sends a request that includes something like:
User-Agent: Java/1.0beta2
I'd rather not rewrite all the HTTP stuff myself. I tried just searching
in the JDK for the Java/1.0beta2 figuring I could just change the string,
but I couldn't find it. Perhaps it is stored as a unicode string?
An easy method of setting the User-Agent field should probably be added to
Java, so people can properly identify their programs.
Thanks, Larry Page
09/01/1996 "

Find more on the original site
https://groups.google.com/forum/m/#!msg/comp.lang.java/aSPAJO05LIU/ushhUIQQ-ogJ
Re: A Post By Google's Founder Larry Page Pre-Google in 1996 by larisoft: 2:13pm On May 20, 2016
lol! If someone had told him he would become what he is now only a few decades later, I imagine he would have told the person he is nuts.

Thats why I dont believe in Forbes 30 under 30 crap. The guys that will define the future are currently living in oblivion.

2 Likes

(1) (Reply)

Web Development / Full Stack Development Forum / Software Developers Needed At A Fintech Startup

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 8
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.