Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,200,272 members, 7,974,246 topics. Date: Sunday, 13 October 2024 at 07:04 PM

10 Courses In Universities That No Longer Have Clear Career Paths - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / 10 Courses In Universities That No Longer Have Clear Career Paths (13911 Views)

"Bewarned".study This 10 Courses To Avoid Unemployement In Nigeria.must Read!!! / Nigerian Universities That Won't Offer Law And Accounting Anymore / NUC Scraps Pre-degrees And Diplomas In Universities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 10 Courses In Universities That No Longer Have Clear Career Paths by JBosco123(m): 4:22pm On May 21, 2016
modextus:
This op just killed me. And its really funny.. grin I actually have a National Diploma in public administration and I recently applied political science for DE... And before opening this thread I had it at the back of my mind that I'll see either public administration or political science because this courses often time appear in threads like this.. And lo and behold tada! It was the first on the lot. cry
Follow Your Heart.
Re: 10 Courses In Universities That No Longer Have Clear Career Paths by samkayy(m): 4:32pm On May 21, 2016
Rubbish!!!

op you no too get yans...
Get A Job
Re: 10 Courses In Universities That No Longer Have Clear Career Paths by Okpueze1(m): 4:50pm On May 21, 2016
The Federal Govt Agencies and Parastatals are not helping issues at all. I graduated with 2nd class upper division in Philosophy from one of the Federal Universities but since 2014, nothing to show for it as regards employment into any advertised institutions. Not even into the detective or intelligence unit of either the Police force, Airforce, Army, Navy, DSS, Civil Defence etc. Must we all become Teachers or Lecturers?

If we are no longer relevant then let those courses be scrapped off instead of making us feel cursed and useless because I am not!

2 Likes

Re: 10 Courses In Universities That No Longer Have Clear Career Paths by Timolanki(m): 5:38pm On May 21, 2016
mu2sa2:
[b][/b]How do you read the courses you mentioned without o'level subjects like maths, english, chemistry, physics, biology? You still need people to study this courses to come and teach them at o'level. Teaching is also a career.
anybody can teach in Nigeria jst as anybody can become a banker, bt nt anybody practice medicine, law, pharmacy n other courses i mentioned.

Those that practice it without due licence n qualifications r brought to book if caught.
Re: 10 Courses In Universities That No Longer Have Clear Career Paths by Timolanki(m): 5:43pm On May 21, 2016
mu2sa2:
[b][/b]How do you read the courses you mentioned without o'level subjects like maths, english, chemistry, physics, biology? You still need people to study this courses to come and teach them at o'level. Teaching is also a career.
anybody can teach in Nigeria jst as anybody can become a banker, bt nt anybody practice medicine, law, pharmacy n other courses i mentioned.

Those that practice it without does licence n qualifications r brought to book if caught.
Re: 10 Courses In Universities That No Longer Have Clear Career Paths by Fxwarrior: 6:04pm On May 21, 2016
holarmy10:
it doesn't really matter
Just be good at what you do and success will be yours
We all don't have to be doctors, engineers, lawyers etc before we make it in life

My 2 cent
FTC
Cc Lalasticlala

You have spoken well and without knowing it you have agreed with op.
Theres need to be the best in your chosen field.

Your university may notice you and give you automatic employment.

1 Like

Re: 10 Courses In Universities That No Longer Have Clear Career Paths by promisechild(m): 6:10pm On May 21, 2016
Okpueze1:
The Federal Govt Agencies and Parastatals are not helping issues at all. I graduated with 2nd class upper division in Philosophy from one of the Federal Universities but since 2014, nothing to show for it as regards employment into any advertised institutions. Not even into the detective or intelligence unit of either the Police force, Airforce, Army, Navy, DSS, Civil Defence etc. Must we all become Teachers or Lecturers?

If we are no longer relevant then let those courses be scrapped off instead of making us feel cursed and useless because I am not!
My brother you don't know your onions well that is why you are still jobless. Research shows that only 25% of philosophy graduates are jobless. Philosophers are analytical and critical minded fellows. The fact still remain that philosophy graduates majorly excel in the academic world.
Re: 10 Courses In Universities That No Longer Have Clear Career Paths by promisechild(m): 6:19pm On May 21, 2016
Timolanki:

Those that practice it without does licence n qualifications r brought to book if caught.

your logic is scrap. Can everybody teach philosophy?

anybody can not just wake up and pick up a chalk to start lecturing a course he didn't study. Employment into the academia world is based on qualifications, you can not study physics and you will be lecturing philosophy.

1 Like

Re: 10 Courses In Universities That No Longer Have Clear Career Paths by Fxwarrior: 6:28pm On May 21, 2016
Michellla:
Micro Biologist still got chances of getting jobs.
they can work in the medical line and health care,pharmaceutical companies.

Even food production companies like breweries, cocacola, nestle,cadbury,flourmills and the likes.

Op is not saying they cannot work there.What he's saying and has been saying is that its difficult for them to be employed with the way things are going in this country and the number of their fellow colleagues being churned out from the various institutions across the country each year.

Besides medical science graduates and science laboratory graduates are being considered more in laboratory and medical vacancies.
Re: 10 Courses In Universities That No Longer Have Clear Career Paths by Timolanki(m): 6:39pm On May 21, 2016
promisechild:

your logic is scrap. Can everybody teach philosophy?

anybody can not just wake up and pick up a chalk to start lecturing a course he didn't study. Employment into the academia world is based on qualifications, you can not study physics and you will be lecturing philosophy.
how many people will venture into lecturing after graduation. If ur a student u will understand that only selected few make it to lecturing. Now the question is, 'what of the rest philosophers'?

Also, in the world of academics, it is a general opportunity for every course and nt restricted to philosophy.
In those courses that i mentioned earlier, those that r nt practising chose nt to... In addition they can still lecture if the person so desires.
Lets i forget forgive me from those incoherent sentences i earlier typed... I typed those with sleepy head.
Re: 10 Courses In Universities That No Longer Have Clear Career Paths by Okpueze1(m): 6:58pm On May 21, 2016
promisechild:
My brother you don't know your onions well that is why you are still jobless. Research shows that only 25% of philosophy graduates are jobless. Philosophers are analytical and critical minded fellows. The fact still remain that philosophy graduates majorly excel in the academic world.
My brother, I believe am not among the 25%. One day God will do it for me.
Re: 10 Courses In Universities That No Longer Have Clear Career Paths by yetunsbay(m): 7:32pm On May 21, 2016
In the case of banking/financial sector it very fraustrating and sickening seeing graduates of other courses-most at times sciences taking up positns for those that studied and have rudiment knowledge abt financial transactns (eco and bfn graduates). There shld be a body also regulating activites of banks & other financial institutns wit respect to recruitment. Abi does CIBN or CBN has jurisdictn here
Re: 10 Courses In Universities That No Longer Have Clear Career Paths by Dianashantie(f): 8:42pm On May 21, 2016
undecided
Re: 10 Courses In Universities That No Longer Have Clear Career Paths by sammyclassics(m): 8:55pm On May 21, 2016
anybody studying history is outdated like NTA NEWS...

1 Like

Re: 10 Courses In Universities That No Longer Have Clear Career Paths by Nobody: 10:02pm On May 21, 2016
Rapmoney:
Please, before you proceed, know that this post is not meant to put anybody's spirit down or to underrate anyone's course of study. It is an observation and it is basically limited to our society; it does not extend to the environment outside.

Every year, an army of young people seek to gain admission into the numerous universities spread across the country. One thing pertinent here, is the fact that many of these young people just want to get there, obtain whatever degree they can (irrespective of the class of degree) and rush to the labour market to sell whatever knowledge they feel they have obtained!!! People mostly think of working and earning money without thinking of 'career'. In the end, they reluctantly settle for UNDEREMPLOYMENT!!! When you don't have a clear career-path to grow in, you may find yourself in just anywhere, whether you like it or not cool Below are some courses in our universities that have slowly lost institutions that can support their career paths:

1) Political Science/Public Administration: Seriously speaking, you can hardly find a clear career path under these courses in Nigeria. Many people I personally know who studied these courses have started doing 'anything' to survive! Except you are studying for just knowledge or you have other businesses or line of interests to engage yourself in, these two courses are not what anyone should bank on as career in these present days. Apart from the education sector, you may not be able to grow your career in the few insitutions aligned to these courses if you are not 'connected'!!!

2) Microbiology: Most graduates of this course have become so frustrated in life to an extent where some of them have gotten trapped with teaching Biology in little mushroom private schools where they are paid 12,000 Naira monthly! grin You can hardly differentiate such schools from poultry farms! One Microbiologist asked me to assist her get placement in a media house. She told me that she liked working as a presenter in a radio station! The first thing that came to my mind is, 'Why didn't you study Mass Communication or Information Technology in the Ivory Tower?'

3) Parasitology and Entomology: I don't even know what to say at this junction! cool

4) Philosophy: Despite the fact that this subject gave birth to all other studies as we have been told, it is becoming more and more irrelevant as the days go by. Apart from teaching or lecturing...or in religious institutions, this course has no clear career path in Nigeria.

5) History & International Relations: If you are not an enterprising person, talented or already in a seperate business, banking on this course may spell doom for you! Your services are mostly needed in academic institutions.

6) Zoology: In a society where even endangered species of animals are flagrantly killed and posted on-line with so much impunity grin, I wonder what the future of zoologists would look like career-wise How many zoo or animal reserves do we have?

7) Archeology: I wonder what's up in your mind if you decide to study this course! We no longer have strong institutions that can support archeology which happens to be the study of ancient things! A graduate of Archeology might find himself/herself doing just 'anything' sooner than later wink

8. Religious Studies cool

9) Anthropology: Don't even think of establishing and growing a career in Nigeria with this!

10) Yoruba/Igbo/Hausa Education: In a society where our indigenous languages are gradually 'suffering' in the hands of our young ones, especially, in the cities, and the government and cultural institutions are doing almost nothing to correct it, I wonder what career path graduates of these courses would hope for, except in the academic world!

Before you criticize this post, consider the introduction of the post.

Don't be afraid that your life might END, instead ask yourself whether it would ever START!!!

Good day everyone!
OP, what about geography and regional planning?
Re: 10 Courses In Universities That No Longer Have Clear Career Paths by Rapmoney(m): 10:28pm On May 21, 2016
Fxwarrior:

Op is not saying they cannot work there.What he's saying and has been saying is that its difficult for them to be employed with the way things are going in this country and the number of their fellow colleagues being churned out from the various institutions across the country each year.

Besides medical science graduates and science laboratory graduates are being considered more in laboratory and medical vacancies.

Thank you very much. This is what I have been trying to say...exactly! cool
Re: 10 Courses In Universities That No Longer Have Clear Career Paths by Rapmoney(m): 10:31pm On May 21, 2016
elego1:
OP, what about geography and regional planning?
Not all the supposed courses I mentioned. I only mentioned those I know too well because I have seen many cases. I used what is prevalent. Many folks might not understand.
Re: 10 Courses In Universities That No Longer Have Clear Career Paths by Rapmoney(m): 10:34pm On May 21, 2016
sammyclassics:
anybody studying history is outdated like NTA NEWS...

Lol! You ain't serious grin
Re: 10 Courses In Universities That No Longer Have Clear Career Paths by Rapmoney(m): 10:36pm On May 21, 2016
yetunsbay:
In the case of banking/financial sector it very fraustrating and sickening seeing graduates of other courses-most at times sciences taking up positns for those that studied and have rudiment knowledge abt financial transactns (eco and bfn graduates). There shld be a body also regulating activites of banks & other financial institutns wit respect to recruitment. Abi does CIBN or CBN has jurisdictn here
That shows you that the institutions are all mixed up with little professionalism.
Re: 10 Courses In Universities That No Longer Have Clear Career Paths by Rapmoney(m): 10:41pm On May 21, 2016
Fynestboi, Olawalebabs, Richiez

1 Like

Re: 10 Courses In Universities That No Longer Have Clear Career Paths by Adeyinka1758(m): 10:49pm On May 21, 2016
Wit the situation of the economy, management courses is the best option oh

1 Like

Re: 10 Courses In Universities That No Longer Have Clear Career Paths by Ibkodus116(m): 11:14pm On May 21, 2016
Omo 10 nah understatement ooooooo in fact 80% are useless

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 10 Courses In Universities That No Longer Have Clear Career Paths by Ibkodus116(m): 11:21pm On May 21, 2016
modextus:
This op just killed me. And its really funny.. grin I actually have a National Diploma in public administration and I recently applied political science for DE... And before opening this thread I had it at the back of my mind that I'll see either public administration or political science because this courses often time appear in threads like this.. And lo and behold tada! It was the first on the lot. cry

Ehya sory dear you need to think positively kiss
Re: 10 Courses In Universities That No Longer Have Clear Career Paths by Rapmoney(m): 11:25pm On May 21, 2016
samkayy:
Rubbish!!!

op you no too get yans...
Get A Job
Okay, I will get one cool

1 Like

Re: 10 Courses In Universities That No Longer Have Clear Career Paths by Setan4bch(m): 11:30pm On May 21, 2016
Well! I'm tempted to comment because this topic calls for discussion. I was to study medicine ended up in Biochemistry but what I do for a living now is I.T related. What I tell people is just that go to school and graduate with a good grade.it's not about the course you studied ,it's God factor,connection or your smartness that can actually get you a career and then you can build yourself in the path by going for training and writing certifications.
Re: 10 Courses In Universities That No Longer Have Clear Career Paths by RicheDadTutors(m): 11:34pm On May 21, 2016
<<MAKE 8 CREDITS & ABOVE IN YOUR WAEC GCE; GUARANTEED>>

2016 NOV/DEC WAEC GCE REGISTRATION is in progress and closes soon! Register with us at Riche-Dad Tutors, Bwari- Abuja and make all your paper in just ONE SITTING- it is a guarantee!

At Riche-Dad Tutors, Bwari- Abuja; we have the BEST EXAMINATION CENTRE in the FCT, as well as the BEST TUTORIAL CENTRE/ FACILITY in the FCT.

We have proofs from the 2015 NOV/DEC WAEC. Below are the results and phone contacts of some our candidates. You are free to contact them for confirmation. Riche-Dad Tutors, Bwari, Abuja put smiles on their faces!

1. Name: Anyankpele Caleb
Subjects/ Grades: English (B3), Mathematics (A1), Physics (B3), Chemistry (C5), Biology (B3), Further-Mathematics (C5), Geography(B2), Economics (C6), etc
Exam Agent: Riche-Dad Tutors, Bwari- Abuja
Candidate’s Phone Contact: 08132369486

2. Name: Jonah Emmanuel
Subjects/ Grades: English (C5), Mathematics (C5), Physics (C6), Chemistry (C5), Biology (C6), Agric. Science (B3), C.R.S.(C6), Economics (C6), etc
Candidate’s Phone Contact: 08186675464

3. Name: Momoh David
Subjects/ Grades: English (C6), Mathematics (C5), Physics (C6), Chemistry (C6), Biology (C6), Geography(C5), etc
Candidate’s Phone Contact: 08140480835

4. Name: Okeke Stephenie
Subjects/ Grades: English (B2), Mathematics (C5), Biology(C6), Economics (C4), Government (B3), Literature (C6), etc
Candidate’s Phone Contact: 08037024790

5. Name: Udoh Amarachi
Subjects/ Grades: English (B2), Mathematics (C5), Government (A1), CRS (A1), Economics (B3), Literature (C6), etc
Candidate’s Phone Contact: 08039331457

6. Name: Shalkwgwa Abraham
Subjects/ Grades: English (C6), Mathematics (C6), Economics (B3), Geography(B3), Government (B3), Biology (C5), etc
Candidate’s Phone Contact: 08067431217

7. Name: Samuel Juliet
Subjects/ Grades: English (C5), Mathematics (C6), Biology (C4), Literature (C6), History (C4), Economics (C6), CRS (C6), etc
Candidate’s Phone Contact: 08171326863

8. Name: Zainab Oluwabukola
Subjects/ Grades: English (C6), Mathematics (B3), Government (B3), Biology (C4), Agric. Science (C4), Financial Accounting (C6), Economics (C4), etc
Candidate’s Phone Contact: 08033173806

And many more colourful results (which are available in our office for confirmation)

For details or registration, feel free to contact the Director of Studies, Riche-Dad Education Consults, Bwari, Abuja on: 08064465717, 08075850108, or 08098802353

Or add us up on whatsApp: +2348186222802

You can visit our office or Study Centre/ Facility, located at:
Adjacent the JAMB CBT MODEL CENTRE, Kogo II or By Laura Hospital Crescent Junction, Kogo II, Bwari, Abuja

Re: 10 Courses In Universities That No Longer Have Clear Career Paths by sammyclassics(m): 11:48pm On May 21, 2016
Rapmoney:
Lol! You ain't serious grin
They should stop that course
Re: 10 Courses In Universities That No Longer Have Clear Career Paths by Rapmoney(m): 12:12am On May 22, 2016
sammyclassics:

They should stop that course
Though, it's been long someone told me he/she's studing Geography and Regional Development.
Re: 10 Courses In Universities That No Longer Have Clear Career Paths by sketcherJ(m): 12:38am On May 22, 2016
Rapmoney:
Not all the supposed courses I mentioned. I only mentioned those I know too well because I have seen many cases. I used what is prevalent. Many folks might not understand.
so u know history and interrel jobless graduates?
Re: 10 Courses In Universities That No Longer Have Clear Career Paths by 3rdlegxxx(m): 12:46am On May 22, 2016
Okpueze1:

My brother, I believe am not among the 25%. One day God will do it for me.
My brother you are among the 25%, don't deceive yourself, we all know the country is hard and jobs are hard to get but a smart graduate of philosophy who understands people, understands the world, understands psychology jobless for two years, wow, dude grow urself, learn IT and get better at what you came out with!
Re: 10 Courses In Universities That No Longer Have Clear Career Paths by sammyclassics(m): 1:29am On May 22, 2016
Rapmoney:
Though, it's been long someone told me he/she's studing Geography and Regional Development.
Yea when u watch nta news weather forecast, u would be asking yourself if d person standing knows what he is saying

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Stranded 42 Ebonyi State Phd Sponsored Students Protests At BBC HQ In Manchester / Who Can Interpret This? / Man Sues Bugema University, Kampala For Banning Miniskirts, Lipstick, Sleeveless

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.