Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,401 members, 7,881,461 topics. Date: Friday, 05 July 2024 at 08:13 PM

What To Do If Someone Throws Acid At You - Crime (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / What To Do If Someone Throws Acid At You (51976 Views)

Wife Cuts Off Husband’s Penis, Throws It Out Of Window For Cheating In Thailand / What To Do If Someone Throws Acid On You / What To Do If Someone Throws Acid At You (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What To Do If Someone Throws Acid At You by dadee007(m): 4:06pm On May 23, 2016
The skin is not the right surface for an acid-base reaction. Might completely destroy tissue.
Raydos:
i thought water will make matter worse!! my teacher said "BASE" is the only solution - water will react with acid very badly which will increase the rate in which the victim face will be damaged -- just imagine pouring a drop of water in a bucket of acid, that will borne out an horrible reaction ----- nobody is perfect anyway, maybe my teacher is just joking sha!!!!!
Re: What To Do If Someone Throws Acid At You by xtervaganza(m): 4:10pm On May 23, 2016
Faith111:

Just like i try to imagine how some people go to bed, infact sleep on the bed of a Woman they threw emotional acid on...
Or a Man who claims all the inheritance his late brother left behind leaving his wife and Children to bite the dust therefore throwing acids on the Children's destiny sleep.

Lets all do o others what we want them to do to us.
dear, those are not men or human being, they are animals.

Anyway I hope no one has claimed your inheritance? You should fight it with everything you have
Re: What To Do If Someone Throws Acid At You by Orikinla(m): 4:13pm On May 23, 2016
God bless you more OP.

1 Like

Re: What To Do If Someone Throws Acid At You by ziego(m): 4:13pm On May 23, 2016
yusufbida:

Stop accusing the world of wickedness, It's the human being that are WICKED.

Are u one of the human?
Re: What To Do If Someone Throws Acid At You by Lamasta(m): 4:17pm On May 23, 2016
dadee007:
Yes. Water but not just water, but lots of water. You should be under the tap for long like 30 mins and above.
We are on the same page, I don`t mean dirty water o but clean water....
Re: What To Do If Someone Throws Acid At You by laclass(m): 4:24pm On May 23, 2016
Good info

1 Like

Re: What To Do If Someone Throws Acid At You by nkemjacob2(m): 4:28pm On May 23, 2016
dadee007:
The reason for this article is that so many people are getting attacked nowadays as so many evil people see acid as the punishment of sorts for whatever they feel offended by. So many victims in the aftermath have had their lives changed forever because of this. The victims, mainly women, do not have the prescience to know what is about to befall them and they most definitely would probably have fared better if someone had given them information on what to do in the event of such an unfortunate and unexpected eventuality.

What is an acid?

In chemistry, an acid is defined as a substance that turns litmus red, neutralizes alkalis, and such things; but for the purpose of this article, I will define for the layman thus:

An acid, (at least the ones usually employed for these dastardly acts) is a corrosive liquid that is the equivalent of liquid fire.

Yes, it is fire and it sometimes does more damage than fire itself. So have it at the back of your mind that an acid is just fire.

Many people know that if your clothes catch fire, you should drop, roll and try to smother the fire. But people also need to know what to do if it is acid that they have on them.

What to do if acid is thrown at you.

If you see any liquid thrown at you,(even if it's water) especially at your face (because this is usually the site targeted by assailants for maximum damage), and you don't have time to duck and dodge, do all these things in quick succession:

1.Use your hand to shield your face from the liquid coming towards you at the same time close your eyes. Flee and while fleeing from the source of the attack, (because they can throw more at you) shout for help as you flee and shout as loud as you can.

Now, this is the most important part so I have to explain before I say the next steps.

Concentrated acid is highly destructive. To give you a mental picture of what it can do, if a drop is dropped on someone's hand, it will start burning or "eating" the surface where it is dropped. If nothing is done to halt its progress, it would continue till it gets to the bone and if nothing is done still, it can "eat" away the bone as well.

This is to show you the power of what you might be dealing with.

If unfortunately you are hit by the liquid, what you do, and do fast, will determine the outcome. The key word here is WATER.

You need water, and you need lots of it.

2. As you flee, either shout for people to bring water, or if you know a water source like a pool that won't take too much time to get to like a running tap, head there, if you see shops, grab water and use, you really need water and you need it badly.

If you can get to running water, get there and put the affected part under running water you need to be under continuous running water for at least 30 mins. This might sound odd but don't rush to the Hospital. It is the things you do immediately in the aftermath that would determine how severe the burns will be. You must be desperate to save yourself and reduce future disfigurement. Water, Water, Water. The mistake that people make is that they douse water quite all right, but they douse just like a cup etc and thereafter, head for hospital. The acid will continue destroying the patient's tissue all the way to the hospital and might even spread to other parts because of the little water.

To buttress this point, Two female British teenage charity workers had acid thrown at them in Zanzibar, and luckily for them, they were not too far from the sea so they dashed to the sea to wash off and today, the only way you would know anything happened to them is probably from slight skin colour difference on the site of the acid attack.

3. Don't put anything like oils, creams, ointments etc. as this might adversely affect the treatment doctors will give you later. Water is all you need before you get to the hospital.

4. Remove all the jewelry, clothing and apparel which had contact with acid.

5. When you have done all these things, head for hospital.

Prevention is better than cure though, so:

As a note of caution,

Be wary of someone coming towards you with a cup, bottle etc.

Be aware and alert of your surroundings and of people moving suspiciously around you.

Watch out for people who might bear a grudge against you. And if you see them approaching menacingly, run and alert people around as you do so.

Source: [url]laffhub.com/blog/what-to-do-if-someone-throws-acid-at-you[/url]
after 30mins of pouring enough water d space of time goin to d hospital for treatment will d acid continues to burn?
Re: What To Do If Someone Throws Acid At You by olanrewajumi(m): 4:41pm On May 23, 2016
am lost kind of..all I know z that acid should be added to water and not d other way round..becos adding water to acid could produce a volatile effect..won't this affect the
face of the person the more?
Re: What To Do If Someone Throws Acid At You by stevups(m): 5:01pm On May 23, 2016
Thanks for the info. But not everybody recognises acid or how it smells, so far the enemy might not come with its bottle. We need to be enlightened in this wise too.
Re: What To Do If Someone Throws Acid At You by blimeyVic(m): 5:04pm On May 23, 2016
As Long as you end your relationship with a JEALOUS friend (no matter how long it has lasted) ,don't keep more than one good WOMAN/MAN in your life,and are not JEALOUS,then a drop of ACID wouldn't touch your body cos bottles of Acid are not readily available like bottles of red oil,only the evil heart of man can seek them out.
#say No to jealousy
Re: What To Do If Someone Throws Acid At You by Nobody: 5:18pm On May 23, 2016
Stay away from ppls spouse.
Re: What To Do If Someone Throws Acid At You by cybriz82(m): 5:18pm On May 23, 2016
To mek mata worse no water for naija.ok op wat if na inside bush or sahara desert dat kind con happen nko?
Re: What To Do If Someone Throws Acid At You by Deen77: 5:22pm On May 23, 2016
Senate over to you, acid for an acid pass into law now.

Re: What To Do If Someone Throws Acid At You by dadee007(m): 5:31pm On May 23, 2016
No one needs to know all that but how it feels- It feels like fire.
stevups:
Thanks for the info. But not everybody recognises acid or how it smells, so far the enemy might not come with its bottle. We need to be enlightened in this wise too.
Re: What To Do If Someone Throws Acid At You by dadee007(m): 5:33pm On May 23, 2016
No, as long as you keep the water flowing on the affected area.
olanrewajumi:
am lost kind of..all I know z that acid should be added to water and not d other way round..becos adding water to acid could produce a volatile effect..won't this affect the
face of the person the more?
Re: What To Do If Someone Throws Acid At You by chinchum(m): 5:36pm On May 23, 2016
You need base to neutralise acid, water wont work as well as a bar soap. I learnt that in my chemistry class, grab a soap ( toilet soap) it has got base in it. acid +base = salt + water

My mischievous chemistry set it as an objective question many many years ago.
Re: What To Do If Someone Throws Acid At You by macino1(m): 5:38pm On May 23, 2016
shadrach77:
Repeat after me, I won't be needing this advice. I would never be an acid attack victim in Jesus name!
Amen. by also obeying His word, meaning thou shall not defraud anyone financially, emotionally and other . .lly.
Re: What To Do If Someone Throws Acid At You by dadee007(m): 5:41pm On May 23, 2016
In a petri-dish, yes but on your skin, no. The base that you talk about can burn your skin on its own eg. lye. What you are doing with the water is not neutralizing it, but diluting it to nearer to PH 7.
chinchum:
You need base to neutralise acid, water wont work as well as a bar soap. I learnt that in my chemistry class, grab a soap ( toilet soap) it has got base in it.

My mischievous chemistry set it as an objective question many many years ago.

1 Like

Re: What To Do If Someone Throws Acid At You by flokii: 5:58pm On May 23, 2016
That's just d height of wickedness..

Why I keep to myself most times, the more open you are, d more possibilty of attracting envy, jealousy, enemies etc..

Moral of d story.. Privacy & security consciousness is key
Re: What To Do If Someone Throws Acid At You by engrchykae(m): 6:06pm On May 23, 2016
thesicilian:
Nice post. Sometimes I wonder at the level of wickedness of man towards his fellow man
our case is that of when we are very wicked and lazy and dont realize that we are wicked probably because we attend church every Sunday.

1 Like

Re: What To Do If Someone Throws Acid At You by sinaj(f): 6:12pm On May 23, 2016
Av always wondered why acid doesn't burn d container or bottle
Re: What To Do If Someone Throws Acid At You by lioncoolst(m): 6:13pm On May 23, 2016
Thanks for sharing this invaluable and life-saving info. Gob less you.
Re: What To Do If Someone Throws Acid At You by mecussey(m): 6:38pm On May 23, 2016
Shoelace1:
shocked

yes...but the truth is never fuk ur friends bf. Men hardly throw acid at each other but women dey do am everyday..
Re: What To Do If Someone Throws Acid At You by mecussey(m): 6:40pm On May 23, 2016
sinaj:
Av always wondered why acid doesn't burn d container or bottle

it does nt react with glass...
Re: What To Do If Someone Throws Acid At You by tivta(m): 6:41pm On May 23, 2016
dadee007:
The reason for this article is that so many people are getting attacked nowadays as so many evil people see acid as the punishment of sorts for whatever they feel offended by. So many victims in the aftermath have had their lives changed forever because of this. The victims, mainly women, do not have the prescience to know what is about to befall them and they most definitely would probably have fared better if someone had given them information on what to do in the event of such an unfortunate and unexpected eventuality.

What is an acid?

In chemistry, an acid is defined as a substance that turns litmus red, neutralizes alkalis, and such things; but for the purpose of this article, I will define for the layman thus:

An acid, (at least the ones usually employed for these dastardly acts) is a corrosive liquid that is the equivalent of liquid fire.

Yes, it is fire and it sometimes does more damage than fire itself. So have it at the back of your mind that an acid is just fire.

Many people know that if your clothes catch fire, you should drop, roll and try to smother the fire. But people also need to know what to do if it is acid that they have on them.

What to do if acid is thrown at you.

If you see any liquid thrown at you,(even if it's water) especially at your face (because this is usually the site targeted by assailants for maximum damage), and you don't have time to duck and dodge, do all these things in quick succession:

1.Use your hand to shield your face from the liquid coming towards you at the same time close your eyes. Flee and while fleeing from the source of the attack, (because they can throw more at you) shout for help as you flee and shout as loud as you can.

Now, this is the most important part so I have to explain before I say the next steps.

Concentrated acid is highly destructive. To give you a mental picture of what it can do, if a drop is dropped on someone's hand, it will start burning or "eating" the surface where it is dropped. If nothing is done to halt its progress, it would continue till it gets to the bone and if nothing is done still, it can "eat" away the bone as well.

This is to show you the power of what you might be dealing with.

If unfortunately you are hit by the liquid, what you do, and do fast, will determine the outcome. The key word here is WATER.

You need water, and you need lots of it.

2. As you flee, either shout for people to bring water, or if you know a water source like a pool that won't take too much time to get to like a running tap, head there, if you see shops, grab water and use, you really need water and you need it badly.

If you can get to running water, get there and put the affected part under running water you need to be under continuous running water for at least 30 mins. This might sound odd but don't rush to the Hospital. It is the things you do immediately in the aftermath that would determine how severe the burns will be. You must be desperate to save yourself and reduce future disfigurement. Water, Water, Water. The mistake that people make is that they douse water quite all right, but they douse just like a cup etc and thereafter, head for hospital. The acid will continue destroying the patient's tissue all the way to the hospital and might even spread to other parts because of the little water.

To buttress this point, Two female British teenage charity workers had acid thrown at them in Zanzibar, and luckily for them, they were not too far from the sea so they dashed to the sea to wash off and today, the only way you would know anything happened to them is probably from slight skin colour difference on the site of the acid attack.

3. Don't put anything like oils, creams, ointments etc. as this might adversely affect the treatment doctors will give you later. Water is all you need before you get to the hospital.

4. Remove all the jewelry, clothing and apparel which had contact with acid.

5. When you have done all these things, head for hospital.

Prevention is better than cure though, so:

As a note of caution,

Be wary of someone coming towards you with a cup, bottle etc.

Be aware and alert of your surroundings and of people moving suspiciously around you.

Watch out for people who might bear a grudge against you. And if you see them approaching menacingly, run and alert people around as you do so.

Source: [url]laffhub.com/blog/what-to-do-if-someone-throws-acid-at-you[/url]

So it is mostly women that are attacked with acid? In what cave have you been living in? All these Linda ikeji wannabes, absolute rubbish
Re: What To Do If Someone Throws Acid At You by mecussey(m): 6:43pm On May 23, 2016
stevups:

any colorless liquid could be an H2S04...and its called concentrated Hydrogen tetra oxo sulphate six acid.
Re: What To Do If Someone Throws Acid At You by Romzy26: 6:44pm On May 23, 2016
undecided
Thebrightest:
WHAT IF THE PERSON KIDNAPS YOU , CHAINS YOU DOWN AND STARTS BATHING YOU WITH ACID?
you unlock the chain and go find water undecided
Thebrightest:
WHAT IF THE PERSON KIDNAPS YOU , CHAINS YOU DOWN AND STARTS BATHING YOU WITH ACID?
you unlock the chain and go find water
Re: What To Do If Someone Throws Acid At You by Nobody: 6:44pm On May 23, 2016
IN FELA VOICE WATER E NO GET ENEMY I SAY WATER NO GET ENEMY..
Re: What To Do If Someone Throws Acid At You by Oilandgas1(m): 6:45pm On May 23, 2016
thesicilian:
Nice post. Sometimes I wonder at the level of wickedness of man towards his fellow man

Some times Man make man to be wicked.

1 Like

Re: What To Do If Someone Throws Acid At You by mecussey(m): 6:46pm On May 23, 2016
Deen77:
Senate over to you, acid for an acid pass into law now.

..lol....chaiiiii...na wao...

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

400 Level AAU Medical Student Shot Dead (Disturbing Photos) / Lala Onwukwe Found 2 Weeks After She Went Missing In Port Harcourt / Man Dares Police To Wait For Him At The Airport As He Lands From Australia. PICS

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.