Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,201,327 members, 7,978,046 topics. Date: Thursday, 17 October 2024 at 05:55 PM

Tomato Crisis Fueling Smuggling Among Nigerian Borders - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Tomato Crisis Fueling Smuggling Among Nigerian Borders (1196 Views)

Christians Fueling Rumours About Buhari’s Health On Social Media – SGF / Northern Governors To Begin Registration Of Fulani Herdsmen At Nigerian Borders / Herdsmen Attack: Buhari's Silence Fueling Continous Attack- Christian Group Says (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Tomato Crisis Fueling Smuggling Among Nigerian Borders by Bengist247(m): 1:05pm On May 27, 2016
A report by New Telegragh indicates that the current scarcity of tomatoes in Nigeria has fueled smuggling of the crop from neighbouring countries like Ghana and Cameroon through land borders.

The alarm was raised by the chairman of All Farmers Association of Nigeria (AFAN), Lagos state chapter, Otunba Femi Oke, who stated that the shortage of the staple food had increased smuggling of the product into Nigeria.

Tomatoes prices has gone up to over 100%
He revealed that despite tomatoes being in the list of 41 items prohibited by the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) for importation, many Nigerians are now venturing into importation of the crop more of it ever before.

He said: ”Neighbouring West African countries like Ghana and Cameroon are actually benefiting from this right now.A whole lot of farmers are out of business.

”In the meantime, people are coming up with ways of cooking without tomatoes because tomatoes are a staple here. I went to the farm and I saw the devastation. It was like the biblical plague of the locusts that devastated Egypt.

”There was no green left. Moreover, the moths come like thieves in the night; you don’t even know until morning what they’ve done.”

Meanwhile, the National Agency for Food and Drug Administration and Control (NAFDAC) and Standards Organisation of Nigeria (SON) have redoubled their efforts to curb the influx of tomato paste into the country.

NAFDAC had already given hint that it might ban the importation of tomato paste from China following a startling revelation from a research carried out by one of its subsidiary unit – Food Safety and Applied Nutrition (FSAN).

FSAN research revealed that out of 316 packs of tomato pastes purchased in Lagos and tested, 218 of them had less than the minimum requirement (28 per cent) of tomato in them.

The minimum requirement specified by the Codex Alimentarius Standards and Nigerian Industrial Standards is that tomato pastes should have at least 28 per cent tomato content.

Investigations revealed that there are warehouses in Seme and Cotonou in neighbouring Benin Republic packed with imported tomato paste which are ready to serve the Nigerian market at the expense of indigenous brands.

Tuta absoluta, popularly known as ‘Tomato Ebola’, a pest responsible for massive destruction of tomato, has invaded some states in Nigeria.

The federal government made this announcement on Tuesday, May 24, while also disclosing that Nigeria spent about N80bn ($400m) annually on importation of tomato paste, with many of the imported products appearing to be counterfeit.
http://www.bengist247.com/2016/05/tomato-crisis-fueling-smuggling-among.html?m=0

1 Like

Re: Tomato Crisis Fueling Smuggling Among Nigerian Borders by Beremx(f): 1:13pm On May 27, 2016
I am yet to see the smuggled tomatoes in the market. Whatever it takes to make sure tomatoes floods the market at cheaper prices. I support o!

1 Like

Re: Tomato Crisis Fueling Smuggling Among Nigerian Borders by ireneony(f): 1:18pm On May 27, 2016
This is what happens when the southerners depend on the northerners for food.

I'm ashamed of my country Nigeria.
A country with a population of 170million people cannot not boast of agriculture.

Giant of africa ni giant of africa ko

1 Like

Re: Tomato Crisis Fueling Smuggling Among Nigerian Borders by gidson12(m): 1:33pm On May 27, 2016
chai them wan cast ymodulus business

1 Like

Re: Tomato Crisis Fueling Smuggling Among Nigerian Borders by BUHARIDONMAD: 1:36pm On May 27, 2016
buhari is ***
Re: Tomato Crisis Fueling Smuggling Among Nigerian Borders by ckmayoca: 1:40pm On May 27, 2016
Beremx:
I am yet to see the smuggled tomatoes in the market. Whatever it takes to make sure tomatoes floods the market at cheaper prices. I support o!

Rice nko?
Re: Tomato Crisis Fueling Smuggling Among Nigerian Borders by Nobody: 1:41pm On May 27, 2016
Bokoharam is killing innocent people in the north
Ipob is Agitating for Biafra in south east
Niger Delta Avengers are bombing pipelines in south south
Fulani's herdsmen are kidnapping, raping and killing innocent people all over d federation
Our children are not sure of being d leaders of tomorrow
Our leaders who ought to lead are confuse
Tomatoes is gradually going into extinction
9ja which way?
Re: Tomato Crisis Fueling Smuggling Among Nigerian Borders by blackmantis: 1:47pm On May 27, 2016
What is smuggled tomato?

Allow it in so that the price can come down
Re: Tomato Crisis Fueling Smuggling Among Nigerian Borders by Naijacitizen(m): 7:43pm On May 27, 2016
Beremx:

Relocate to Katsina, you will enjoy free tomatoes from me.
Re: Tomato Crisis Fueling Smuggling Among Nigerian Borders by Beremx(f): 7:40am On May 28, 2016
Naijacitizen:

haba that's not fair! because of tomatoes i have to relocate to katsina? try and send for me na! even if it's dry ones. I will appreciate.

1 Like

Re: Tomato Crisis Fueling Smuggling Among Nigerian Borders by Beremx(f): 7:45am On May 28, 2016
ckmayoca:

Rice nko?
rice too o! the half bag of rice i bought for 5,400naira in February is now 7,000naira. it will still rise again.
God help us.
Re: Tomato Crisis Fueling Smuggling Among Nigerian Borders by ckmayoca: 7:49am On May 28, 2016
Beremx:
rice too o! the half bag of rice i bought for 5,400naira in February is now 7,000naira. it will still rise again.
God help us.

The thing tire everyone.
Re: Tomato Crisis Fueling Smuggling Among Nigerian Borders by otokx(m): 8:02am On May 28, 2016
They should remove Tomato from the ban list and flood the market with imported tomatoes that pass the SON check till the next harvest season.
Re: Tomato Crisis Fueling Smuggling Among Nigerian Borders by Naijacitizen(m): 8:23am On May 28, 2016
Beremx:
haba that's not fair! because of tomatoes i have to relocate to katsina? try and send for me na! even if it's dry ones. I will appreciate.

How do you want me to send you? Do you have an errand boy who is persistent travelling up north?
Re: Tomato Crisis Fueling Smuggling Among Nigerian Borders by adaweezy(m): 8:58am On May 28, 2016
Naijacitizen:

Re: Tomato Crisis Fueling Smuggling Among Nigerian Borders by Beremx(f): 10:34am On May 28, 2016
Naijacitizen:

How do you want me to send you? Do you have an errand boy who is persistent travelling up north?
ok lemme send you an email. hope your mail is active?
Re: Tomato Crisis Fueling Smuggling Among Nigerian Borders by Naijacitizen(m): 10:51am On May 28, 2016
Beremx:
ok lemme send you an email. hope your mail is active?

Yeah
Re: Tomato Crisis Fueling Smuggling Among Nigerian Borders by Beremx(f): 10:54am On May 28, 2016
Naijacitizen:

Yeah
ok i have sent you an email some minutes ago. kindly check.
Re: Tomato Crisis Fueling Smuggling Among Nigerian Borders by ASL33: 11:02am On May 28, 2016
otokx:
They should remove Tomato from the ban list and flood the market with imported tomatoes that pass the SON check till the next harvest season.
With which forex?
Re: Tomato Crisis Fueling Smuggling Among Nigerian Borders by Horus(m): 11:11am On May 28, 2016

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_foWeOtICio

[size=14pt]How much for a tomato in Nigeria ?[/size]
Re: Tomato Crisis Fueling Smuggling Among Nigerian Borders by Bizibi(m): 11:12am On May 28, 2016
Beremx:
it seems the price is coming down,got some fr 4oo naira yesterday,it was fairly much.....

(1) (Reply)

Does Ipob And Niger Deltan Schools Still Sing The National Anthem? / Firm To Build 75MW Solar Plant In Nigeria / Funny Pictures You Can Relate To If You've Been In Nigeria Since The Last Year

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.