Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,264 members, 7,887,770 topics. Date: Friday, 12 July 2024 at 01:33 PM

How Long Does A Car Tyre Stay Before They Expire? Expert Opinions Needed - Car Talk (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / How Long Does A Car Tyre Stay Before They Expire? Expert Opinions Needed (38168 Views)

See How Long It Takes The World’s Richest People To Pay Off Their Cars / How To Change Your Car Tyre On Your Own / Do You Know Your Car Tyre Can Jeopardize Your Safety? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Long Does A Car Tyre Stay Before They Expire? Expert Opinions Needed by sooperrescue(m): 8:18pm On May 31, 2016
erico2k2:

Oga I said ligally. The only place U can do that and not get arrested in the whole world is the Autobahn.
U guys driving at speed in excess of 100k/hr are the drivers we termed stupid. This is the point where U are bein totally irresponsible. If you drive @100m/hr equivalent to 160km/hr in the UK is and Automatic Ban.
Same across the whole Europe so plz rephrase your statement
You might call it silly but it is worth the risk. If you drive on a european highway, you will be out of place when you roll on 100km. The drivers slow down when they sense that the radar is nearby and continue the high speed once the coast is clear. Do you know the frustration of driving an S600 v 12 at 120km? If you dont, then respect those that paid for a machine and they want them to drive the machine like okada. Even in the country, from ore to benin, it is 28mins for a 99kms strip on a range rover sport.
Re: How Long Does A Car Tyre Stay Before They Expire? Expert Opinions Needed by erico2k2(m): 9:02pm On May 31, 2016
sooperrescue:
You might call it silly but it is worth the risk. If you drive on a european highway, you will be out of place when you roll on 100km. The drivers slow down when they sense that the radar is nearby and continue the high speed once the coast is clear. Do you know the frustration of driving an S600 v 12 at 120km? If you dont, then respect those that paid for a machine and they want them to drive the machine like okada. Even in the country, from ore to benin, it is 28mins for a 99kms strip on a range rover sport.
Oga its not only silly but stupid, I drive a BMW 320Ci 2014 bough brand new , and I have driven in Europ for 15 years so what do you want to tell me or U think Im a kid of yesterday
Don't take my word for it get caught driving 160 km/hr see waht happens to you you are here talking about radar, in Holland you don't even see the speed cameras they are hidden and there are mobile speed cameras in Poland.U are comparing Nigeria where they have no speed awareness and no respect for Human lives,.Stop this frame of mind its not good for yourselves and other road users,.there is a reason why the road limit was set,,this where judge from deep research and safe braking distance.
I drive inNigeria and I keep my speed at 90-100km/h,there is not much diffrence btw me and those who do 160km/hr highest they get there 10-20 mins b4 me.Is that RISK WORTH TAKING?
Re: How Long Does A Car Tyre Stay Before They Expire? Expert Opinions Needed by mastro: 9:27pm On May 31, 2016
sooperrescue:
The frsc is right. In 2009. we trained some of their officers on tyre monitoring courtesy of Dunlop tyres. The tyres do expire after four years irrespective of the usage. I remember how Michelin tyres were always worried about the stock in their warehouse because of the poor sales activities and their clock ticking on their tyres. That said, the number one problem is the tyre temperature and speed ratings. Even if you bought a 2015 made tyre and it is temperature b tyre and t rating, you are courting danger. Ensure you have temperature a on your tyres and an accurate speed rating for your car.

So not only are you an incompetent mechanic, you are also not above sprouting blatant lies. there have been loads of links to tire manufacturers websites in this and other threads and non of the manufacturers who remember want to sell tires have quoted a 4 year expiry date, which makes you a teller of untruths............. which falls under rule 8 Don't post false information on Nairaland
Re: How Long Does A Car Tyre Stay Before They Expire? Expert Opinions Needed by sooperrescue(m): 9:49pm On May 31, 2016
mastro:

So not only are you an incompetent mechanic, you are also not above sprouting blatant lies. there have been loads of links to tire manufacturers websites in this and other threads and non of the manufacturers who remember want to sell tires have quoted a 4 year expiry date, which makes you a teller of untruths............. which falls under rule 8 Don't post false information on Nairaland
wao, that was hot. You must have an issue that only you can resolve. All the tyre manufacturers that you claimed talked about no 4 year expiry date, are they based in Nigeria? We are talking about Nigeria and you are here babling about the tyres in Europe. What research have you conducted to prove me wrong. If you dont have anything to say, just read and move on. The op asked for expert opinion and it is either you give your own opinion or ......
Re: How Long Does A Car Tyre Stay Before They Expire? Expert Opinions Needed by sooperrescue(m): 9:59pm On May 31, 2016
erico2k2:

Oga its not only silly but stupid, I drive a BMW 320Ci 2014 bough brand new , and I have driven in Europ for 15 years so what do you want to tell me or U think Im a kid of yesterday
Don't take my word for it get caught driving 160 km/hr see waht happens to you you are here talking about radar, in Holland you don't even see the speed cameras they are hidden and there are mobile speed cameras in Poland.U are comparing Nigeria where they have no speed awareness and no respect for Human lives,.Stop this frame of mind its not good for yourselves and other road users,.there is a reason why the road limit was set,,this where judge from deep research and safe braking distance.
I drive inNigeria and I keep my speed at 90-100km/h,there is not much diffrence btw me and those who do 160km/hr highest they get there 10-20 mins b4 me.Is that RISK WORTH TAKING?
it is not worth the risk and you are not in a formula 1 race, but we do take it once in a while. The people who drive porsche carrera are not taking silly risks when they buy the car, they love the thrills and the power of the car, that itself is an addiction which is not permissable for everyone
Re: How Long Does A Car Tyre Stay Before They Expire? Expert Opinions Needed by erico2k2(m): 10:01pm On May 31, 2016
sooperrescue:
it is not worth the risk and you are not in a formula 1 race, but we do take it once in a while. The people who drive porsche carrera are not taking silly risks when they buy the car, they love the thrills and the power of the car, that itself is an addiction which is not permissable for everyone
Bro U think the Porsche is faster than the BMW m3?,I take comfort over speed any day.
Re: How Long Does A Car Tyre Stay Before They Expire? Expert Opinions Needed by erico2k2(m): 10:07pm On May 31, 2016
sooperrescue:
wao, that was hot. You must have an issue that only you can resolve. All the tyre manufacturers that you claimed talked about no 4 year expiry date, are they based in Nigeria? We are talking about Nigeria and you are here babling about the tyres in Europe. What research have you conducted to prove me wrong. If you dont have anything to say, just read and move on. The op asked for expert opinion and it is either you give your own opinion or ......
DOn't just dismiss people like that, let me ask you, name 3 tyre manufacturers in Nigeria OK just two plzzzz
Re: How Long Does A Car Tyre Stay Before They Expire? Expert Opinions Needed by sooperrescue(m): 12:50am On Jun 01, 2016
None, at the moment but based on research, milan, kewalrams, infinity, bridgestone, dunlop, hankook and michelin tyres, the result has been it is a four year issue. And there are many contributors that have affirmed that it is four years. What else is the reason for his outburst on tyre matter?
Re: How Long Does A Car Tyre Stay Before They Expire? Expert Opinions Needed by mastro: 6:18am On Jun 01, 2016
sooperrescue:

He asked for "expert" opinion, not a Kazzims, next thing you will tell us is that thermostats are not needed cause Nigeria is the hottest place on earth, Is in your inexpert opinion Nigeria hotter than Australia

http://www.michelin.com.au/AU/en/why-michelin/warranties.html
https://www.bridgestonetyres.com.au/safe-drive

Do you see anyone talk about a 4 year expiry date, but of course people like you will ignore evidence, probably because telling lies makes you feel important or something, begone go and peddle your daft ideas at the roadside where you belong
Oh and
sooperrescue:
None, at the moment but based on research, milan, kewalrams, infinity, bridgestone, dunlop, hankook and michelin tyres, the result has been it is a four year issue. And there are many contributors that have affirmed that it is four years. What else is the reason for his outburst on tyre matter?

No links or actual evidence of quoted research just random musings followed by a rubbish conclusion, give it up I'm only answering you so you don't lead any of the forum members astray
Re: How Long Does A Car Tyre Stay Before They Expire? Expert Opinions Needed by Alanguru: 6:21am On Jun 01, 2016
carreport:
Accordig to Michelin, after five years or more in service, your tyres should be thoroughly inspected at least once a year. If the need arises, follow the recommendations of the vehicle manufacturer regarding replacing the original equipment tyres. As a precaution, if the tyres have not been replaced 10 years from their date of manufacture (see how to read a tyre sidewall), Michelin recommends replacing them with new tyres. Even if they appear to be in usable condition and have not worn down to the tread wear indicator.
The truth is that a tyre never really expires, it all depends on the wear and tear of the tyre that makes it either useable or to be changed.

By FRSC standard a tyre that is completely worn out but with a DOM less than 4 years is safe to use while a tyre that is not worn out at all due to low millage is unsafe (Sounds ridiculous).

We intend to engage FRSC Corps Marshal so as to call his men to order and that they should rather check the wear of a tyre rather concentrate on so called expiring date of a tyre.

However if you don't want FRSC Marshala wahala u can have your vulcanizer quietly turn the tyre inside out, this is because the DOM is written only on one side (the front side) of the tyre. grin grin grin

Please we need opinions of experts on this matter

CC: lalasticalala ishovile help us move to front page

Sources:
http://www.michelin.co.uk/tyres/learn-share/buying-guide/when-should-i-change-my-tyres
http://www.continental-tires.com/car/technology/tire-knowledge/lex-1-2
The last info was sooooo very helpful. gracias
Re: How Long Does A Car Tyre Stay Before They Expire? Expert Opinions Needed by erico2k2(m): 6:30am On Jun 01, 2016
sooperrescue:
WELL if none why did you LIE andsay what you said up there about Nigerian tyres? ?
Main while where did they say 4 years?
Plz quit assuming
PMS. Learn today there is nothing in any research that suggest expiration of tyres however they have issued advice based on best practice ie check ur tyres 4 ware and tear after 5 years. And U can ever use one tyre for 5 years.
PS U can get a ban under rule 8 for lying and misleading others.
Re: How Long Does A Car Tyre Stay Before They Expire? Expert Opinions Needed by 9icetoo(m): 7:00am On Jun 01, 2016
sooperrescue:
The frsc is right. In 2009. we trained some of their officers on tyre monitoring courtesy of Dunlop tyres. The tyres do expire after four years irrespective of the usage. I remember how Michelin tyres were always worried about the stock in their warehouse because of the poor sales activities and their clock ticking on their tyres. That said, the number one problem is the tyre temperature and speed ratings. Even if you bought a 2015 made tyre and it is temperature b tyre and t rating, you are courting danger. Ensure you have temperature a on your tyres and an accurate speed rating for your car.
lies from the pit of hell.
guy u dey fall my hand. accept when u err and quit tarnishing ur rep.
atuoro omalu omalu, atuolo ofeke, ofenye isi na ofia.

1 Like

Re: How Long Does A Car Tyre Stay Before They Expire? Expert Opinions Needed by sooperrescue(m): 7:59am On Jun 01, 2016
Tyre Expiry

Road Safety And Aspects Of Tyre Safety

Studies of tyre safety show that maintaining proper tyre pressure, observing tyre and vehicle load limits,and inspecting tyres for cuts, slashes, and other irregularities are the most important things you can do to avoid tyre failure, such as tread separation or blowout and flat tyres. These actions, along with other care and maintenance activities, can also:

Improve vehicle handling
Help protect you and others from avoidable breakdowns
and accidents
Improve fuel economy
Increase the life of your tyres.

Information You Should Know About The Tyres On Your Vehicle

Temperature Resistance

Traction

Tread wear

Max. Load Capacity /tyre

Speed Symbol

Manufacturing Date

Where you can find these information?

Temperature Resistance

These letters indicates a tyre's
resistance to heat.
From highest to lowest, a
tyre's resistance to heat is
graded as "A", "B", or "C".

Symbol Area
A

Hot Area
B

Normal Weather Area
C

Cold Area
Treadwear Number

This number indicates the tyre's wear rate. The higher the treadwear number is, the longer it should take for the tread to wear down. For example, a tyre graded 400 should last twice as long as a tyre graded 200.

Traction

This letter indicates a tyre's ability to stop on wet pavement. A higher graded tyre should allow you to stop your car on wet roads in a shorter distance than a tyre with a lower grade. Traction is graded from highest to lowest as "AA","A", "B", and "C".

Max. Load Capacity & Tyre Speed Symbol

Number indicates the max. load that can be carried by the tyre. Symbol indicates the max. Speed at which a tyre is designed to be driven for extended periods of time.

Manufacturing Date

Tyre Expiry

Vehicle tyres have a 4-year validity period from their Date of Manufacture (DOM). Thereafter, the tyre expires and may burst whilst in use. How to find out whether your tyre has expired? Check for a stamp like this: (*2603*) There is an asterisk at the beginning and at the end of this serial number.
The first two numbers 2 6 will tell which week of the year has it been manufactured.
NB: One year has 52 weeks. The last two numbers represent the year of make. Therefore, *2603* shows that the said tyre is manufactured in the 26th week of the year 2003. *2699* this shows that the tyre is made in the 26th week of 1999.
Check all your tyres for safety purposes. Do not use expired tyres. They are likely to burst (especially when running in hot weather) because the rubber component may have hardened and cracked.

4002 means DOM is Week 40 of year 2002.

//www.arrivealive.co.za/Tyre-Expiry
Re: How Long Does A Car Tyre Stay Before They Expire? Expert Opinions Needed by sooperrescue(m): 8:04am On Jun 01, 2016
Re: How Long Does A Car Tyre Stay Before They Expire? Expert Opinions Needed by lond07: 11:54am On Jun 01, 2016
erico2k2:

Just a point I would like to note these centres are watching out for thier pocket MOT are watching out for your safety and that of others. Did you check your thread and the depth of ware? ?The MOT guys must av checked your markers. Have U ever come across those highway patrol teams? They will check your markers and the depth of ur thread
But how would U manage to use one tyre for up to 6yrs in the UK grin grin are you kidding me? ??
Make we see the pic of your tyre thread plz

I will not agree the MOT centers are after their own profits because I am not bound to buy the tyres from them. And yes I make bold to say my tyres are 6 years old. The car is not for everyday runs (mileage is just 17440 as at yesterday)These where the tyres that came with the car from the factory. I will take pic and upload later so you can confirm this. (Not with the car at this moment).

You see, the point I was making is I was not comfortable with the age of the tyres no matter what the thread level is. And the moment there where concerns one way or the other on them, that sealed their fate. I know what I am capable of doing when on motor way and for that singular reason, will not play baba ijebu on my life and my passengers.
Re: How Long Does A Car Tyre Stay Before They Expire? Expert Opinions Needed by lond07: 12:07pm On Jun 01, 2016
erico2k2:

Read the bolded it says after 5 years inspect your tyres it did not day change them..This is the point I'm steering us to. If U live in the UK and drive. U will never fail MOT if ur tyres are 8 yrs old but U will if you have less than legal limits of thread.

The MOT advisory to me is not about the thread or the age. But a crack line they noticed on the tyre which they showed me and that coupled with the age (6 years) was a cause for concern.

So your thread may be within legal limit and age less than whatever. But if there is a crack on the tyre and you ignored it....... You can deduce the rest.
Re: How Long Does A Car Tyre Stay Before They Expire? Expert Opinions Needed by erico2k2(m): 12:20pm On Jun 01, 2016
lond07:

I will not agree the MOT centers are after their own profits because I am not bound to buy the tyres from them. And yes I make bold to say my tyres are 6 years old. The car is not for everyday runs (mileage is just 17440 as at yesterday)These where the tyres that came with the car from the factory. I will take pic and upload later so you can confirm this. (Not with the car at this moment).

You see, the point I was making is I was not comfortable with the age of the tyres no matter what the thread level is. And the moment there where concerns one way or the other on them, that sealed their fate. I know what I am capable of doing when on motor way and for that singular reason, will not play baba ijebu on my life and my passengers.
U miss understood me I said the MOT centre are after your safety but the mechanics and tyre people are after profit.
Re: How Long Does A Car Tyre Stay Before They Expire? Expert Opinions Needed by erico2k2(m): 12:22pm On Jun 01, 2016
lond07:

The MOT advisory to me is not about the thread or the age. But a crack line they noticed on the tyre which they showed me and that coupled with the age (6 years) was a cause for concern.

So your thread may be within legal limit and age less than whatever. But if there is a crack on the tyre and you ignored it....... You can deduce the rest.

We are at same page. Regardless of age your tyres can be deemed fit or not it all depends on physical depreciation of the tyre. If U buy one that was made last month and 3 weeks down the line there is significant ware of thread due to alignment problem you got to change it.
Re: How Long Does A Car Tyre Stay Before They Expire? Expert Opinions Needed by lond07: 12:30pm On Jun 01, 2016
erico2k2:

U miss understood me I said the MOT centre are after your safety but the mechanics and tyre people are after profit.

Ooops. Sorry to have misquoted you.
Re: How Long Does A Car Tyre Stay Before They Expire? Expert Opinions Needed by Odigokogadi: 6:26pm On Jun 03, 2016
sooperrescue:
I worked with bridgestone , it is clearly written on the wall, 4yrs
Re: How Long Does A Car Tyre Stay Before They Expire? Expert Opinions Needed by erico2k2(m): 8:25pm On Jun 03, 2016
Odigokogadi:
Bridgestone where?
Re: How Long Does A Car Tyre Stay Before They Expire? Expert Opinions Needed by mastro: 8:40pm On Jun 03, 2016
erico2k2:

Bridgestone where?

Under the bridge at Dopemu grin grin grin
Re: How Long Does A Car Tyre Stay Before They Expire? Expert Opinions Needed by 9icetoo(m): 11:43pm On Jun 03, 2016
sooperrescue:
Tyre Expiry

Road Safety And Aspects Of Tyre Safety

Studies of tyre safety show that maintaining proper tyre pressure, observing tyre and vehicle load limits,and inspecting tyres for cuts, slashes, and other irregularities are the most important things you can do to avoid tyre failure, such as tread separation or blowout and flat tyres. These actions, along with other care and maintenance activities, can also:

Improve vehicle handling
Help protect you and others from avoidable breakdowns
and accidents
Improve fuel economy
Increase the life of your tyres.

Information You Should Know About The Tyres On Your Vehicle

Temperature Resistance

Traction

Tread wear

Max. Load Capacity /tyre

Speed Symbol

Manufacturing Date

Where you can find these information?

Temperature Resistance

These letters indicates a tyre's
resistance to heat.
From highest to lowest, a
tyre's resistance to heat is
graded as "A", "B", or "C".

Symbol Area
A

Hot Area
B

Normal Weather Area
C

Cold Area
Treadwear Number

This number indicates the tyre's wear rate. The higher the treadwear number is, the longer it should take for the tread to wear down. For example, a tyre graded 400 should last twice as long as a tyre graded 200.

Traction

This letter indicates a tyre's ability to stop on wet pavement. A higher graded tyre should allow you to stop your car on wet roads in a shorter distance than a tyre with a lower grade. Traction is graded from highest to lowest as "AA","A", "B", and "C".

Max. Load Capacity & Tyre Speed Symbol

Number indicates the max. load that can be carried by the tyre. Symbol indicates the max. Speed at which a tyre is designed to be driven for extended periods of time.

Manufacturing Date

Tyre Expiry

Vehicle tyres have a 4-year validity period from their Date of Manufacture (DOM). Thereafter, the tyre expires and may burst whilst in use. How to find out whether your tyre has expired? Check for a stamp like this: (*2603*) There is an asterisk at the beginning and at the end of this serial number.
The first two numbers 2 6 will tell which week of the year has it been manufactured.
NB: One year has 52 weeks. The last two numbers represent the year of make. Therefore, *2603* shows that the said tyre is manufactured in the 26th week of the year 2003. *2699* this shows that the tyre is made in the 26th week of 1999.
Check all your tyres for safety purposes. Do not use expired tyres. They are likely to burst (especially when running in hot weather) because the rubber component may have hardened and cracked.

4002 means DOM is Week 40 of year 2002.

//www.arrivealive.co.za/Tyre-Expiry

continental I know, Michelin I know, arrive alive I know not. I'd rather listen to the advice of a tyre manufacturer. thanks

1 Like

Re: How Long Does A Car Tyre Stay Before They Expire? Expert Opinions Needed by 9icetoo(m): 11:46pm On Jun 03, 2016
Odigokogadi:
bridge stone in Nigeria? and what was your job?
Re: How Long Does A Car Tyre Stay Before They Expire? Expert Opinions Needed by Odigokogadi: 2:30pm On Jun 04, 2016
erico2k2:
Bridgestone where?
niger
Re: How Long Does A Car Tyre Stay Before They Expire? Expert Opinions Needed by Odigokogadi: 2:31pm On Jun 04, 2016
erico2k2:
Bridgestone where?
Nigeria, under Kewalrams
Re: How Long Does A Car Tyre Stay Before They Expire? Expert Opinions Needed by Odigokogadi: 2:34pm On Jun 04, 2016
mastro:

grin
mastro:

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

22 Vehicle Manufacturers to Move into Nigeria / Asaba Ultra-Modern Mechanic Village & Auto Parts Market In Pictures / N153m KLASSEN Mercedes-benz Viano Limousin Luxury Office Van (photos & Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.