Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,233 members, 7,887,637 topics. Date: Friday, 12 July 2024 at 11:46 AM

Why I Am Nuts About Macadamia. - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Why I Am Nuts About Macadamia. (4140 Views)

Contacts Of Cashew Nuts Farmers In Kogi State 4 Sale! / Process And Export Cashew Nuts And Grow Rich / Tiger Nuts Export Business Class (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why I Am Nuts About Macadamia. by Pavore9: 7:27am On May 28, 2016
Soaring interest in macadamia farming is making Ndirangu’s seedlings business thrive.

The weather is cold and it is drizzling as the Seeds of Gold team ventures into George Ndirangu’s farm in Nyeri. Despite the chill, Ndirangu is in high spirits sitting hunched over a pile of soil tending to macadamia seedlings.

The rains spell good fortune as the next cycle of planting is set to start and farmers from Nyeri, Kirinyaga, Meru, Embu and Murang’a and beyond will troop to his farm seeking the seedlings. Macadamia has gained popularity among farmers in central Kenya that some are ditching coffee and tea.

“I have been involved in grafting of various edible plants and I was interested in developing fast-growing and high-yielding macadamia trees,” says Ndirangu of the business that he started in December last year after investing Sh430,000 ($4,300) he had saved from his previous ventures that include tree tomato farming.

The money went to buying seeds and putting up three greenhouses measuring 20 by 40ft each.

Ndirangu grafts a variety of macadamia seedlings that include those from Embu, Kiambu and Murang’a, which have been classified by experts as high-yielding and produce bigger nuts. They are known as Ex-Thika, Ex-Kiambu, Ex-Murang’a, Ex-Embu, Murang’a 20 and Murang’a 23.

“I get seeds certified by the Ministry of Agriculture from farmers and remove the outer cover. I then dry them in the sun for three days. Thereafter, I soak in water for three more days before removing and drying again for a day for the seed to crack into two.”

He then places the cracked seeds on a polythene sheet spread in the nursery, covers them with soil and, thereafter, adds dry grass on top.

“I then sprinkle water until they are fully soaked. The nursery is kept open for 15 to 21 days after which the seedlings starts germinating.”

He later transfers them into nine by six-inch pots after two weeks and places them in a greenhouse, where they stay for a month before he starts grafting.

John Wambugu, an agronomist from the Wambugu Farm Agricultural Centre, notes that when grafting macadamia, farmers should use wood glue to ensure that the scion sticks to the rootstock.

PLANT OTHER CROPS ALONGSIDE MACADAMIA

The seedlings stay in the greenhouse for 45 days before they are transferred to an open place where they stay for a month.
They are then planted into a two-foot square hole that has soil mixed with manure. Some 17:17:17 inorganic fertiliser is also added to the soil.

Wambugu advises farmers to space the plants at between 7 and 10 metres as they grow into bigger trees.

For excellent utilisation of the farm, Ndirangu advises farmers to plant other crops alongside macadamia as they wait for the trees to mature.

Grafted macadamia trees, according to him, start bearing fruits after two years. They also produce 50kg to 200kg per season of nuts by the time they reach five years.

Non-grafted macadamia trees start bearing nuts after seven years producing between 7 to 10kg in the first year. By the time the tree is five years, it can only produce up to 50kg per season.

The trees flower from August to September and further development of the fruit lasts 31 weeks. They are disease and pest-resistant and can be produced successfully in areas where avocados, papaws, mangoes and bananas do well.

Currently, Ndirangu has over 12,000 seedlings, some of which he is still grafting while others are ready for sale.

He has further planted 26 macadamia trees on his one-acre and he has partnered with Jungle Nut, a company which has been buying his nuts at Sh120 ($1.20) per kilo.

“Each trees is able to produce 180kg per year totalling to 4,680kg enabling me to get over Sh500,000 a year($5,000) ,” says Ndirangu, who has been certified by the Horticultural Crop Development Authority and Kenya Plant Health Inspectorate Service.

He makes over Sh100,000 ($1,000)each month from the seedlings business, with each going for Sh250 ($2.50) .

Macadamia nuts are used to make butter, cooking oil and cosmetic products such as soaps and shampoos.

2 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why I Am Nuts About Macadamia. by leeman2000(m): 7:49pm On Jun 08, 2016
@Pavore9, i must say that you are a blessing. I have always been enriched by your write ups. I use to look at farming as time wasting and energy sapping until now. I can see farther than i used to see since i started following your posts. I will be reaching out to you for some advice on the macadamia farming.
Re: Why I Am Nuts About Macadamia. by MrKong: 8:58pm On Jun 08, 2016
It start fruiting after 2yrs?....e no better make I farm cocoa jeje cheesy

Marcadamia ko, chinchonchin ni grin
Re: Why I Am Nuts About Macadamia. by Pavore9: 9:47pm On Jun 08, 2016
leeman2000:
@Pavore9, i must say that you are a blessing. I have always been enriched by your write ups. I use to look at farming as time wasting and energy sapping until now. I can see farther than i used to see since i started following your posts. I will be reaching out to you for some advice on the macadamia farming.

Information is what is not readily available to most Nigerians thus the sustained misbelief that Agriculture is wrapped in drudgery but Israeli's Simon Peres said, "Agriculture is 95% science and 5% work." and Israel have proven that overtime, exporting vegetables knowledgeably grown in their deserts.

Macadamia nuts is being imported into Nigeria though am not certain about local farms of it.

2 Likes

Re: Why I Am Nuts About Macadamia. by Pavore9: 10:01pm On Jun 08, 2016
MrKong:
It start fruiting after 2yrs?....e no better make I farm cocoa jeje cheesy

Marcadamia ko, chinchonchin ni grin

Every one has its interest. You need to ask yourself why are macadamia nuts so expensive?
Re: Why I Am Nuts About Macadamia. by MrKong: 10:16pm On Jun 08, 2016
Pavore9:

Every one has its interest. You need to ask yourself why are macadamia nuts so expensive?

I understand the allure of making a fortune from it but I'm always skeptical about narrow crops(crops with not too many uses). The reason for high price could be that the company making use of it really need it at that stage of production. What happens to your several acres of macadamia when the company folds up or not in need it again maybe due to marketing issues with their product?

Cocoa on the other hand, well you know the rest grin

1 Like

Re: Why I Am Nuts About Macadamia. by Pavore9: 10:48pm On Jun 08, 2016
MrKong:

I understand the allure of making a fortune from it but I'm always skeptical about narrow crops(crops with not too many uses). The reason for high price could be that the company making use of it really need it at that stage of production. What happens to your several acres of macadamia when the company folds up or not in need it again maybe due to marketing issues with their product?

Cocoa on the other hand, well you know the rest grin

You really need to read up on the crop. Look out for the quantity exported to the U.S, China, Hong kong, Japan, Canada etc annually. Apart from being edible also do check out its uses in the cosmetic industry.

People do import macadamia nuts and oil into Nigeria. It is even on the Nigeria customs import list.

Like l said earlier, we all have our preferences.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why I Am Nuts About Macadamia. by MrKong: 10:57pm On Jun 08, 2016
Pavore9:

You really need to read up on the crop. Look out for the quantity exported to the U.S, China, Hong kong, Japan, Canada etc annually. Apart from being edible also do check out its uses in the cosmetic industry.

People do import macadamia nuts and oil into Nigeria. It is even on the Nigeria customs import list.

Alrighty...gonna check out its demand and supply and the trend over the years, could be worth a try afterall.
Re: Why I Am Nuts About Macadamia. by Newway2(m): 4:16am On Jun 09, 2016
@Pavore9, I have never seen this fruit/seed in Nigeria. Does it have a local name? Wld love to have & plant it though.
That will be another (macadamia) seeding added to my pepino mellon & tomarilo seedling package.

Pavore9:

Re: Why I Am Nuts About Macadamia. by CMGO(f): 2:54pm On Jun 12, 2016
@pavero9, where can one get the nuts in large quantity in nigeria?
Re: Why I Am Nuts About Macadamia. by Pavore9: 5:01pm On Jun 12, 2016
CMGO:

@pavero9, where can one get the nuts in large quantity in nigeria?
l do not have information on people who grow it locally (if there are).
Re: Why I Am Nuts About Macadamia. by hymanflex(m): 2:31pm On Aug 01, 2016
Pavore9:
l do not have information on people who grow it locally (if there are).

bro, good afternoon, I need your help now nd I know you can can do it for me.
with due respect bro, the 2016 Mr nairaland election is ongoing, nd I need you to please help us with the dream of winning the elections.

the voting thread is

https://www.nairaland.com/3261218/mr-nairaland-contest-2016-elimination

just type" I vote falconey Cc: NLjega"

the voting continues tomorrow and the grand finale will be held on Wednesday.

I am trusting you for this bro.

Thanks

1 Like

Re: Why I Am Nuts About Macadamia. by dowjones(m): 9:19am On Aug 04, 2016
hymanflex:

bro, good afternoon, I need your help now nd I know you can can do it for me.
with due respect bro, the 2016 Mr nairaland election is ongoing, nd I need you to please help us with the dream of winning the elections.

the voting thread is

https://www.nairaland.com/3261218/mr-nairaland-contest-2016-elimination

just type" I vote falconey Cc: NLjega"

the voting continues tomorrow and the grand finale will be held on Wednesday.

I am trusting you for this bro.

Thanks

Is this some kind of joke? Mr nairaland on a business thread.
Re: Why I Am Nuts About Macadamia. by Cocoboms(m): 8:49pm On Feb 23, 2017
@pavore9,

good day sir, please do you have the mobile contact of Mr. George ndirangu, the man who sells the grafted macadamia seedlings? I would be truly grateful if you can share it with me. Thanks so much!
Re: Why I Am Nuts About Macadamia. by Pavore9: 9:08pm On Feb 23, 2017
It will involve calling the newspaper house to track down the reporter of the story then hope she still has the number of Mr. George .
Re: Why I Am Nuts About Macadamia. by Cocoboms(m): 9:22pm On Feb 23, 2017
Pavore9:
It will involve calling the newspaper house to track down the reporter of the story then hope she still has the number of Mr. George .

oh wow! that's a serious matter.

no wahala. Thanks sir!

(1) (Reply)

Treating Poultry Mites/lice Naturally... / Pesticides, Herbicides, everythingcides / Make Cool Cash Farming Moringa.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.