Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,168,931 members, 7,872,994 topics. Date: Thursday, 27 June 2024 at 06:24 AM

The Redneck - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / The Redneck (474 Views)

(2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

The Redneck by Tarokboy: 6:24pm On May 31, 2016
I abruptly stopped in my tracks as I entered the restroom.Right in front of me was a 9 inches redneck agama lizard.I had to move closer to ensure it was outside and had no way to slip through the net into my restroom.
As kids growing up in the barracks,we took delight hunting for lizards with our catapults.Mischievously cruel in our actions but fun we thought it was.
We were bounty killers of the reptiles at some point;killers without reward.
A seemingly reward came our way one day out of the blues as a neighbour two blocks from my parents came requesting for a redneck.Just one redneck to be used as condiment in preparing a therapy to cure a chronic cough.As the team lead as many knew me to be,I was given the contract.We mobilised and at dusk,we delivered a bagful.We 'fantastically'surpassed our target.It was a massacre.
It is day 4 and the redneck is still hibernating in the same position as the first day.Is it dead I thought,but it is still hanging I reasoned.The dead do not hang I finally concluded.To test my hypothesis,I took a step forward and gave the redneck a poke with the butt of my toothbrush.It moved. I breathed a sigh of relieve.I didn't want it dead.
I have become a man whose one of his convictions towards living things is 'live and let's live'as long as you go about your business causing no harm or impediment to me,and peaceful,I am cool with you.
Many times I see wall geckos do the sprints in my corridor,do the waltz in my kitchen and subsequently do the spiders for desert.I am also cool with that.I give it to the geckos though,they have a way of going about their business like spirits;they are there and they are not.

As I drove home,I wondered if the redneck goes playing,hunting or chasing female lizards during the day time and come back to my window as a restpoint or it has remained there from dawn to dusk since I first saw it?Unfortunately,work does not give me the luxury to cure my curiosity.
Why my net,why not the other 32 windows?what makes my window appealing?Could it be the webs lately gradually building up around my room,hence a perfect hunting ground for insects?Perhaps my net was made with a different material like they do the water bed?perhaps my location,a secure haven against predators,or perhaps it knows I am a repentant serial lizard killer hence no other perfect haven than my net?
My thoughts ran wild.
Day 18.The redneck is still here.
It is here to stay I guess.
Ezinkat

(1) (Reply)

My First Patient (poem) / Broken / Ana Convention 2016 Opens With Thoughts And Funfair

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.