Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,170,777 members, 7,879,385 topics. Date: Wednesday, 03 July 2024 at 05:14 PM

Deaths In Southeast And Niger Delta, The Signs Are Getting Scary. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Deaths In Southeast And Niger Delta, The Signs Are Getting Scary. (3744 Views)

Update On Exercise Crocodile Smile II In The South West And Niger Delta / Jonathan And Niger Delta Governors used oil money as pocket money: Masari / Buhari And Niger-Delta Dialogue Team Meet + What PMB Told Them - Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Deaths In Southeast And Niger Delta, The Signs Are Getting Scary. by OLADD: 9:24am On Jun 01, 2016
Some weeks ago while cherry-picking from a catalogue of DVDs in a local shop, my attention was drawn to one in particular titled HOTEL RWANDA. My initial thought went straight to X-rated films that sell like bean-cakes in the Nigerian Film market. However, after going through its encrypted storyline, the gory story of Rwandan Genocide crept into my consciousness and momentarily, I felt like someone badly beaten by a morning rain. In my bewildered state, flashes of killings in the Southeast and Southsouth parts of Nigeria suddenly ran through my senses as the reality of such event happening here stared at my forlorn figure. Hotel Rwanda is a 2004 American historical film directed by Terry George. It's an adaptation of a screenplay co-written by the film's director and Kier Pearson encapsulating the ordeal of a hotel manager who tries to save the lives of his immediate family members and those of thousands of other Rwandan lodgers from the cold jaw of death in the 1994 massacre, now rated as one of the worst ethnic cleansing in human existence.

Readers should not make the mistake of misconstruing this piece as a PDP-APC, North Vs South narratives but a wakeup call to all parties involved in the ongoing carnages in the Southern and Eastern parts of Nigeria to thread with caution. Many reasons were adduced for the Rwandan crisis but the commonest was the narrative of hatred that allegedly spread like wildfire between the country's two major tribes; the Hutus and Tutsis. So, when the country's president who incidentally hailed from one of the two major tribes lost his life in a plane mishap, tongues of premeditated assassination began to wag In the ensuing confrontations, blames and counter-blames, security agencies were reported to have taken side with govt at the centre against the other tribe and hell was let loosed. The unprecedented mass killings that followed is what's today known as Rwanda Genocide. In our own case, the situation can be much more complex and complicated by the reason of our multifarious tribal divergences if care is not taken.

In the last one year, tens if not hundreds of people had been reported dead from confrontations between members of IPOB and State security agencies. Just two days ago, a large number of pro-Biafran protesters and security agents lost their lives. The Niger Delta is not left out in the blood spilling as unconfirmed reports allude to killings arising from hostilities between locals and security operatives deployed to foster peace in the troubled region.

Now to the crux of the matter. Criminality in whatever form should not be condoned in any nation but the Nigerian govt needs to do more in separating genuine agitations by law abiding individuals from the one ignited by questionable and destructive elements.

All over the world, there's virtually no nation that's completely immune from the problem of separatist rumblings. From India to Pakistan, Spain to the United Kingdom, history is replete with stories of self rule proclamations and agitations. While our resolve to co-habit as a united nation is guided jealously, we must be very careful in quelling any hostility that threatens our unity. The military, police and other security agencies should be seen to be neutral and impartial when dousing tensions in any part of Nigeria where public peace is threatened. The Federal Govt should engage in far reaching consultations with concerned stakeholders before sending out their boys or else, things may fall apart and the centre may not hold.

3 Likes

Re: Deaths In Southeast And Niger Delta, The Signs Are Getting Scary. by thelinguist: 9:25am On Jun 01, 2016
K
Re: Deaths In Southeast And Niger Delta, The Signs Are Getting Scary. by eshietIntrepid(m): 10:04am On Jun 01, 2016
The military in nigeria is a puppet of whoever is in power.
In present situation we have found ourselves, let us reason and speak from our heart what's wrong with implemention of the national conference held no long ago.

But if anyone say is right not to implement the conf. Report then is clear some people are parasites to some. And they are ready kill and keep it so.

Or don't we have a right to chose who we are?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Deaths In Southeast And Niger Delta, The Signs Are Getting Scary. by incomintop: 10:06am On Jun 01, 2016
we are in a dangerous time

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Deaths In Southeast And Niger Delta, The Signs Are Getting Scary. by OLADD: 10:20am On Jun 01, 2016
incomintop:
we are in a dangerous time

And a dangerous time needs proactive and cautions timekeepers.

1 Like

Re: Deaths In Southeast And Niger Delta, The Signs Are Getting Scary. by lunaticfringe: 10:29am On Jun 01, 2016
The dullard has incompetent advisers and as such the decisions he makes almost dosen't work...
Re: Deaths In Southeast And Niger Delta, The Signs Are Getting Scary. by lunaticfringe: 11:16am On Jun 01, 2016
The dullard has incompetent advisers as such the decisions he makes almost dosen't work...

1 Like

Re: Deaths In Southeast And Niger Delta, The Signs Are Getting Scary. by Nobody: 11:25am On Jun 01, 2016
eshietIntrepid:
In present situation we have found ourselves, let us reason and speak from our heart what's wrong with implemention of the national conference held no long ago.

But if anyone say is right not to implement the conf. Report then is clear some people are parasites to some. And they are ready kill and keep it so.

The ignoramus said the report needs to be shelved in the archives!!

2 Likes

Re: Deaths In Southeast And Niger Delta, The Signs Are Getting Scary. by Goke7: 11:35am On Jun 01, 2016
those fanning the embers of war against the FG should also have a restraint, everyone all across the country have been appealing to the militants to drop their weapons and be open to dialogue with the FG but they have been insisting on their own terms.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Deaths In Southeast And Niger Delta, The Signs Are Getting Scary. by OLADD: 12:06pm On Jun 01, 2016
Goke7:
those fanning the embers of war against the FG should also have a restraint, everyone all across the country have been appealing to the militants to drop their weapons and be open to dialogue with the FG but they have been insisting on their own terms.

Dude, did you read the newspapers or listen to news today? Negotiation with the militants has been ruled out by the military and I want to believe they were speaking for the govt.

4 Likes

Re: Deaths In Southeast And Niger Delta, The Signs Are Getting Scary. by OLADD: 12:10pm On Jun 01, 2016
eshietIntrepid:

Unfortunately, most APC leaders do not believe in the Confab or its report but I expect Buhari to heed the calls of those clamouring for its implementation.

2 Likes

Re: Deaths In Southeast And Niger Delta, The Signs Are Getting Scary. by sanandreas(m): 12:28pm On Jun 01, 2016
True fiscal federalism would end Nigeria problems significantly. The SNC should be implemented.

2 Likes

Re: Deaths In Southeast And Niger Delta, The Signs Are Getting Scary. by OLADD: 1:18pm On Jun 01, 2016
sanandreas:
True fiscal federalism would end Nigeria problems significantly. The SNC should be implemented.

True Federalism in Nigeria is a mirage. For instance, APC stalwarts like Tinubu and Fashola were very vocal in asking for State Police when they were in opposition. Today, as members of the ruling party, has anybody heard them talking about the issue? Most Nigerian politicians are after their pockets.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Deaths In Southeast And Niger Delta, The Signs Are Getting Scary. by sanandreas(m): 1:30pm On Jun 01, 2016
OLADD:

True Federalism in Nigeria is a mirage. For instance, APC stalwarts like Tinubu and Fashola were very vocal in asking for State Police when they were in opposition. Today, as members of the ruling party, has anybody heard them talking about the issue? Most Nigerian politicians are after their pockets.

Exactly my brother. I am neither Apc nor Pdp. All I want is a better Nigeria. Come join me as I soak cold garri and dried fish. cheesy

1 Like

Re: Deaths In Southeast And Niger Delta, The Signs Are Getting Scary. by wisov(m): 2:00pm On Jun 01, 2016
Buhari alone cannot implement d confab! U guys shud also put presurre on saraki and dogara
Re: Deaths In Southeast And Niger Delta, The Signs Are Getting Scary. by OLADD: 2:18pm On Jun 01, 2016
sanandreas:

Exactly my brother. I am neither Apc nor Pdp. All I want is a better Nigeria. Come join me as I soak cold garri and dried fish. cheesy

You're even combining it with dried fish? Good for you.

4 Likes

Re: Deaths In Southeast And Niger Delta, The Signs Are Getting Scary. by OLADD: 2:23pm On Jun 01, 2016
wisov:
Buhari alone cannot implement d confab! U guys shud also put presurre on saraki and dogara

Whatever step taken by Buhari as far as the confab report is concerned is what others would follow. If the president wants it implemented, other arms of govt would key in.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Deaths In Southeast And Niger Delta, The Signs Are Getting Scary. by Nobody: 2:27pm On Jun 01, 2016
I don't even understand some of y'all. What's our business with whatever is happening in the SE/SS especially as
Yorubas.

We should be more concerned about the development of the SW, how our governors can look inwards
than taking panadol for SS/SE problems. Aren't they the same people co-signing the avengers? They
love what's going on. I LOVE IT TOO

Same people will still insult you asking you whether it's your land that's being destroyed

The only thing I don't want to hear is when investors start moving into the SW and some quadrangle heads
and riverine zorros come here to tell us Yorubas are the ones who sent investors out of their lands or Tinubu is behind
their woes

6 Likes

Re: Deaths In Southeast And Niger Delta, The Signs Are Getting Scary. by OrlandoOwoh(m): 2:38pm On Jun 01, 2016
OP, you should be telling the South East and South South what you are now telling the FG. If you don't know what led to the crisis in Rwanda, that you are alluding to, it was inciting comments on the media. Have you condemned Radio Biafra for making inciting comments? When NDA decide to take arms against the government and sabotage its efforts, such an action can not be regarded as an agitation, but insurrection. No government in the world condones insurrections that threatens the countries because every civilian government swore to an oath on the day of inauguration to keep the country as on indivisible entity.

1 Like

Re: Deaths In Southeast And Niger Delta, The Signs Are Getting Scary. by Splinz(m): 2:51pm On Jun 01, 2016
The so-called leaders in this country lacked common sense in approaching issues. Instead of tackling the root causes of our multifaceted problems in the country, they went all out with brute force for the effect. How the killing of these agitators will solve all these problems is what I don't understand.
Re: Deaths In Southeast And Niger Delta, The Signs Are Getting Scary. by wisov(m): 3:08pm On Jun 01, 2016
Hope u knw d national assembly is not in good terms with d exec. D budget wahala is a clear sign!
OLADD:

Whatever step taken by Buhari as far as the confab report is concerned is what others would follow. If the president wants it implemented, other arms of govt would key in.
Re: Deaths In Southeast And Niger Delta, The Signs Are Getting Scary. by OLADD: 3:21pm On Jun 01, 2016
OrlandoOwoh:
OP, you should be telling the South East and South South what you are now telling the FG. If you don't know what led to the crisis in Rwanda, that you are alluding to, it was inciting comments on the media. Have you condemned Radio Biafra for making inciting comments? When NDA decide to take arms against the government and sabotage its efforts, such an action can not be regarded as an agitation, but insurrection. No government in the world condones insurrections that threatens the countries because every civilian government swore to an oath on the day of inauguration to keep the country as on indivisible entity.

I am very careful when issues of insurrection are brought to the front burner. However, if you read my post carefully you'll see the part that says we must exercise caution when dealing with agitators. For the benefit of hindsight, one of the reasons why Jonathan did not apply full weight of the law against Boko Haram initially was its religious, political and sociocultural implications. You and I were in this country when some elders in the north rose up vehemently against military onslaughts. While I don't support taking up of arms against the State under any circumstance, we should be mindful of the fact that the militants had rolled out their grievances and path to peace. It's left for the govt to carefully weigh its options but mass killing which can snowball into genocide MUST be avoided.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Deaths In Southeast And Niger Delta, The Signs Are Getting Scary. by OLADD: 3:30pm On Jun 01, 2016
wisov:
Hope u knw d national assembly is not in good terms with d exec. D budget wahala is a clear sign!

The unity of the country must take preeminence over any primordial considerations. If the president has to go on his kneels for the country to remain one, he doesn't have any choice. Grandstanding by any of the govt arms would lead us nowhere.
Re: Deaths In Southeast And Niger Delta, The Signs Are Getting Scary. by Chiaka(f): 3:53pm On Jun 01, 2016
All Propagandist Congress - APC
APC! - Shame! APC! - Shame!
Re: Deaths In Southeast And Niger Delta, The Signs Are Getting Scary. by modath(f): 4:14pm On Jun 01, 2016
OLADD:

The unity of the country must take preeminence over any primordial considerations. If the president has to go on his kneels for the country to remain one, he doesn't have any choice. Grandstanding by any of the govt arms would lead us nowhere.

Really? Where dey do dat at?

Does that sound like what should happen in a million sane years to you? President go down on his knees because a few self centred, greedy and disgruntled elements decided to go rogue because their sponsors corruption conduit has been blocked?

I personally do not have any objection to a restructuring of this marriage of inconvenience, I even look forward to the day that will happen, (hopefully in no distant time) however it should be pursued the rational and logical way and not as a fallout of losing political relevance, or partly as a "revenge mission" which even Ray Charles from his grave can see clearly through their shenanigans.

I still maintain it, this agitation won't be successful because they aren"t doing this for the benefit of majority...

1 Like

Re: Deaths In Southeast And Niger Delta, The Signs Are Getting Scary. by OLADD: 4:57pm On Jun 01, 2016
modath:

Really? Where dey do dat at?

Does that sound like what should happen in a million sane years to you? President go down on his knees because a few self centred, greedy and disgruntled elements decided to go rogue because their sponsors corruption conduit has been blocked?

I personally do not have any objection to a restructuring of this marriage of inconvenience, I even look forward to the day that will happen, (hopefully in no distant time) however it should be pursued the rational and logical way and not as a fallout of losing political relevance, or partly as a "revenge mission" which even Ray Charles from his grave can see clearly through their shenanigans.

I still maintain it, this agitation won't be successful because they aren"t doing this for the benefit of majority...

For a govt baffling with economic upheavals , prolonged military onslaught is the last option for this administration and I am sure Buhari is aware of that. Those militants don't have anything to loose.
Re: Deaths In Southeast And Niger Delta, The Signs Are Getting Scary. by OLADD: 5:21pm On Jun 01, 2016
Splinz:
The so-called leaders in this country lacked common sense in approaching issues. Instead of tackling the root causes of our multifaceted problems in the country, they went all out with brute force for the effect. How the killing of these agitators will solve all these problems is what I don't understand.

It beats my imagination too.
Re: Deaths In Southeast And Niger Delta, The Signs Are Getting Scary. by OLADD: 6:12pm On Jun 01, 2016
Whathaveidone:
I don't even understand some of y'all. What's our business with whatever is happening in the SE/SS especially as
Yorubas.

We should be more concerned about the development of the SW, how our governors can look inwards
than taking panadol for SS/SE problems. Aren't they the same people co-signing the avengers? They
love what's going on. I LOVE IT TOO

Same people will still insult you asking you whether it's your land that's being destroyed

The only thing I don't want to hear is when investors start moving into the SW and some quadrangle heads
and riverine zorros come here and tell us Yorubas are the ones who sent investors out of their lands or Tinubu is behind
their woes

Wow! You mean you don't care about the plight of other Nigerians aside your region? I don't think that's a patriot's spirit.
Re: Deaths In Southeast And Niger Delta, The Signs Are Getting Scary. by banki(m): 6:35pm On Jun 01, 2016
ikennaf1:

The ignoramus said the report needs to be shelved in the archives!!

Why didn't Jonathan implement it?
Re: Deaths In Southeast And Niger Delta, The Signs Are Getting Scary. by Nobody: 7:34pm On Jun 01, 2016

sinistermind:How was their gathering a threat to national security?? Did they step beyond their region to cause any violence? Abeg keep that matter to yourself. I'm not in support of this IPOB thingy, but I think an ethnic cleansing is looming
\
I personally quoted this guy yesterday and want to keep a record of it incase i need to refer to it...
I was wondering over what is going on within the political and religious atmosphere of Nigeria and new intimidation against the south east and south south, what u wrote above flashed through my mind and i said to myself that many people especially those that think they are living comfortable wont see any side from this reasoning. But i can tell u that Ethnic cleansing In Nigeria is on the brink to happen in Nigeria. Our Leaders from South east and South South has been handling matters concerning death of Igbos as if their death does not matter..

One of the things that is neglected by this government is the evil press statement that the forces of Nigeria is bringing up to silence the people ..As far as am concerned people who lost their Live at May 30 is morthan 20 but the police statement stated 5 and 2 policemen. OK, when it appears the goverment can come out of the open to pour more salt upon a fatal wound shows that they dont care what happens to the families and the people who lost their lives.
Take for example the attack on Nimbo community was another indication and this things are fueling more hate than ever in a divisive country like Nigeria.

Am sure more event will happen in the south east or south south and the President who believes everything is by force will want to use force on the people and am sure one day the people will reiterate and when the people reiterate that will be enough excuse for the goverment to use the Army which we know is dominated by the North to wipe more ss/se as they can.

My fear is this, if people from ss/se living in Lagos or Abuja did not do anything over there .....It will be termed Rebels vs Government and everything will be swept under the carpet like b4. But what am saying is this .... ss/se should know that westerners or Northerner see all from Eastern Region as Igbo not minding u are urhobo, itsherkiri or whatever..East is East. We should be more conscious of what is happening in this present goverment before another pogrom of 1966 happen in 2016.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Deaths In Southeast And Niger Delta, The Signs Are Getting Scary. by Nobody: 7:39pm On Jun 01, 2016
OLADD:

Wow! You mean you don't care about the plight of other Nigerians aside your region? I don't think that's a patriot's spirit.

Who is a Nigerian and who is a patriot?

Why are you crying for them when they themselves love what's going on.

You're correct. Tbh with you, I don't care about any other region besides the SW.

Let them enjoy their oil

4 Likes

Re: Deaths In Southeast And Niger Delta, The Signs Are Getting Scary. by OLADD: 8:19pm On Jun 01, 2016
Whathaveidone:

Who is a Nigerian and who is a patriot?

Why are you crying for them when they themselves love what's going on.

You're correct. Tbh with you, I don't care about any other region besides the SW.

Let them enjoy their oil

Any outbreak of war in the Niger Delta would leave Nigeria at the brink. That's the truth.

(1) (2) (Reply)

See Photo Of Col. Hameed Ali Wearing APC Uniform But Declined Customs Uniform. / Impeach Buhari NOW. / Meet The Youngest Politician In Nigeria, His Age Will Shock And You

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 106
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.