Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,188,956 members, 7,936,050 topics. Date: Friday, 30 August 2024 at 10:35 PM

No Cooking With Fire In Benin Kingdom On Sunday - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / No Cooking With Fire In Benin Kingdom On Sunday (33469 Views)

Nigerian Man Visits British Museum, Spots Stolen Benin Kingdom Artifacts. Photos / Ezelekhae Ewuare: The Crown Prince Of Benin Kingdom Unveiled In Edo (Photos) / Strange Scenes From Coronation Of Oba In Benin Kingdom. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: No Cooking With Fire In Benin Kingdom On Sunday by BrainnewsNg(f): 11:05pm On Jun 03, 2016
mineANDurs:
Cooking without fire? shocked

Can someone explain it pls cos I do not understand how someone can cook without fire.

Hahahahahahahaha
Re: No Cooking With Fire In Benin Kingdom On Sunday by mcnuel001(m): 11:05pm On Jun 03, 2016
Really? So they should cook with sun abi?
Re: No Cooking With Fire In Benin Kingdom On Sunday by BrainnewsNg(f): 11:06pm On Jun 03, 2016
Jalapa01:
A press statement signed & released by Secretary to the Benin Traditional Council, Mr. Frank Irabor, has advised Benin kingdom residents not to cook with fire on Sunday - the day of Igberimwin in the royal funeral rites programme.

According to the statement, cooking without fire is in accordance with Benin customs & tradition and is part of activities for the continuation of the 15 days funeral rites of late Benin Monarch, Oba Erediauwa.

SOURCE: http://www.bookspen.com/2016/06/03/no-cooking-fire-benin-kingdom-sunday/

What a Tradition
Re: No Cooking With Fire In Benin Kingdom On Sunday by ahamonyeka(m): 11:08pm On Jun 03, 2016
How they want make my iye take cook?
Re: No Cooking With Fire In Benin Kingdom On Sunday by macino1(m): 11:09pm On Jun 03, 2016
Correction: the rules only applied to "FIRE WOOD" cooking, take note.

Oba gha-tor gbeaa!

1 Like

Re: No Cooking With Fire In Benin Kingdom On Sunday by macino1(m): 11:12pm On Jun 03, 2016
BrainnewsNg:

What a Tradition
I guess you don't have one? Culture and tradition is a unique and peculiar identity from tribes to tribes.
Re: No Cooking With Fire In Benin Kingdom On Sunday by Laredojohn(m): 11:12pm On Jun 03, 2016
Onegai:
This is the traditional way of calling for a fast. Is it from sunup to sundown? I'm sure the elderly and children are exempt.

Laredojohn, he will be buried with human heads, his staff carriers and some leopards will be allowed out at night to go hunting. That's what i was told as a child.
I know there is a hypnosis spell cast on people to coerce them into going to the palace and becoming servants for a while in order to cook for the multitude of visitors during that time (this was before the era of caterers). The hypnotized person was given a loincloth to wear and usually worked without needing to rest so had to be released after a day. My mum's neighbour was one of those caught the last time Oba "travelled". He went to the farm, didn't come home that night and came home a day later, exhausted and with welts on his hands from pounding yam constantly. He had absolutely no idea what he had been doing, but someone who was in the palace confirmed seeing him in his loincloth around the kitchen (working tirelessly).
Dis is serious...if this still applies today...thanks for the info though.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: No Cooking With Fire In Benin Kingdom On Sunday by dicapino: 11:13pm On Jun 03, 2016
Zellie:
hall4 boys and beans grin grin

Lolz...hall4...boys.....that beans must don......#chai
Re: No Cooking With Fire In Benin Kingdom On Sunday by kinnlive(m): 11:15pm On Jun 03, 2016
Flexherbal:
Will there be free launch for everybody?
cheesy hilarious
Re: No Cooking With Fire In Benin Kingdom On Sunday by pocohantas(f): 11:16pm On Jun 03, 2016
Gala and lacasera would sell that day.
Re: No Cooking With Fire In Benin Kingdom On Sunday by osabiggy(m): 11:29pm On Jun 03, 2016
The Benin Kingdom transcends generations. I want to believe we're talking about FIREWOOD fire here. Come to think of it, about 100yrs. ago in the kingdom, there may not have been anything like kerosene stove, not to talk of the modern day gas/elect. stoves. Whereas these laws/values had been handed down from centuries past.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: No Cooking With Fire In Benin Kingdom On Sunday by Nobody: 11:34pm On Jun 03, 2016
mtsheew
i go cuk wit fire
rubbish
Re: No Cooking With Fire In Benin Kingdom On Sunday by guiddoti: 11:53pm On Jun 03, 2016
biko, solar stove fire down naw
Re: No Cooking With Fire In Benin Kingdom On Sunday by Bishops10(m): 11:55pm On Jun 03, 2016
mhizmercinda:
lolzzz.......re u serious??re we dat strong headed
You school in Uniben?
Re: No Cooking With Fire In Benin Kingdom On Sunday by doskie(m): 11:56pm On Jun 03, 2016
macino1:
Correction: the rules only applied to "FIRE WOOD" cooking, take note.

Oba gha-tor gbeaa!
oga! Im sure when that rule was made there was no stove or gas or hotplate. So what else was cooking done with.
Re: No Cooking With Fire In Benin Kingdom On Sunday by doskie(m): 11:58pm On Jun 03, 2016
OkeEsibe:
mtsheew
i go cuk wit fire
rubbish
Let me advice you.. Benin is a strong ground. Dont try it. Just eat pineapples and pawpaw only for that day... Or cook before that day and eat it cold. If you try it... You will see 12 men with red bead in your kitchen dragging you... Ive told you ohh...

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: No Cooking With Fire In Benin Kingdom On Sunday by willibounce1(m): 12:24am On Jun 04, 2016
Ppl deceiving themselves. Shebi they will go from one house to another to check. Nonsense
Re: No Cooking With Fire In Benin Kingdom On Sunday by ibolomo(m): 12:36am On Jun 04, 2016
djakinwande:
Not surprised wat I dnt knw is how do dey cook in d 90s wen tins like dis happen cus dey r many alternatives in dis century bt how do dey manage it den in does old century undecided
In ancient times, it was a day of absolute fast for both man and beast, it was a way of mourning the demise of the Oba

2 Likes

Re: No Cooking With Fire In Benin Kingdom On Sunday by pablus: 12:48am On Jun 04, 2016
you make my mouth dey water this evening o! lol. liked!
Kiish:
na wetin i go cook on sunday... with big fire sef. you all are invited

1 Like

Re: No Cooking With Fire In Benin Kingdom On Sunday by LivingDiamond(m): 12:53am On Jun 04, 2016
I wonder wats wrong with all dis death of monarchoes around the nation...From north, south, west & east...they r jst dying 1 by 1...The funeral rites of d deceased OLOTA OF OTA in Ogun state going on presently... curfew frm 10pm till dawn...may God have mercy..
Re: No Cooking With Fire In Benin Kingdom On Sunday by Jacko01: 12:59am On Jun 04, 2016
If i cook with fire inside my house
Tell me how u go take know
Lubbish
Re: No Cooking With Fire In Benin Kingdom On Sunday by Kiish(m): 1:04am On Jun 04, 2016
Lol. ah bros. i didnt mean to cause commotion grin
pablus:
you make my mouth dey water this evening o! lol. liked!
. pls accept my apologies cheesy
Re: No Cooking With Fire In Benin Kingdom On Sunday by Gaddafithe2nd(m): 1:22am On Jun 04, 2016
Abeg who go feed the citizens of Benin for that period.. .Which kind tradition be this again. Oya Benin people una go turn to vegetarian.
Re: No Cooking With Fire In Benin Kingdom On Sunday by oveed: 1:51am On Jun 04, 2016
Simple IQ statement, many nairalanders could not decode the amazing
deep insight of the Binis. It is another way of telling you to show respect
by eating what had already been prepared previous day or eat things you
can eat raw if you can not fast. Pls you can eat eko, drink garri snd smoked
fish, groundnut, coconut, fruits etc. OBA GHA TOKPE RE...ISEH !

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: No Cooking With Fire In Benin Kingdom On Sunday by UuzbaGuuzba: 1:54am On Jun 04, 2016
ZORO47:
biko where are those from Benin? Come and teach us how you cook without fire Abi una dey use electric cooker for village undecided

Microwave oven! Honey. It's Microwave day.
Re: No Cooking With Fire In Benin Kingdom On Sunday by UuzbaGuuzba: 1:58am On Jun 04, 2016
NOR USE FAYA COOK FOR BEENEE KEEDOM.
UNA NOR DEY YEAR WORD?
HIAN!
Re: No Cooking With Fire In Benin Kingdom On Sunday by omonnakoda: 3:11am On Jun 04, 2016
OLUJOSHINS:
unlike a certain land where the so-called Oba is cutting an English cake on His birthday

this is what I call culture & tradition
What is "ENGLISH" cake? and how is it different from FRENCH and SPANISH cakes

2 Likes

Re: No Cooking With Fire In Benin Kingdom On Sunday by OrlandoOwoh(m): 4:56am On Jun 04, 2016
This thing can only affect those mama puts and owners of restaurants that can easily be seen when cooking. As for those in their flats, na who wan to dey look their kitchen?
Re: No Cooking With Fire In Benin Kingdom On Sunday by dipznano: 5:48am On Jun 04, 2016
Zellie:
We should cook with sunlight? undecided

Rara o, B29 or Ariel grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: No Cooking With Fire In Benin Kingdom On Sunday by tyhwo: 6:05am On Jun 04, 2016
This is bullshit
Re: No Cooking With Fire In Benin Kingdom On Sunday by Mekky2010: 6:17am On Jun 04, 2016
mineANDurs:
Cooking without fire? shocked

Can someone explain it pls cos I do not understand how someone can cook without fire.

Winch cooking technology is readily available...OK , don't worry u won't understand Lol

1 Like

Re: No Cooking With Fire In Benin Kingdom On Sunday by dgysoft(m): 6:25am On Jun 04, 2016
Mumu talk. cook and no fire impossible. May be NA over night food them go eat. Infact the old culture has been over taken by development. Adieu Oba of bc

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Saliu Adetunji Is The New Olubadan Of Ibadan / Germany To Return Benin Bronze Back To Nigeria / Statue Erected In Honor Of The Founder Of Okrika Town (pictures)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.