Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,201,721 members, 7,979,444 topics. Date: Saturday, 19 October 2024 at 08:57 AM

Distance Relationship - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Distance Relationship (730 Views)

Does Long Distance Relationship Ever Work Out????? / Signs That Your Long Distance Relationship Is Fading / Romantic Love Text Message And Advice For Distance Relationships (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Distance Relationship by izybuk(f): 11:04am On Aug 25, 2009
out of sight is out of mind
Re: Distance Relationship by candylips(m): 11:53am On Aug 25, 2009
for real. don't even try it
Re: Distance Relationship by tkconcept(m): 1:54pm On Aug 25, 2009
i beg to disagree! rather, out of sight ignites the passion eventually.
Re: Distance Relationship by candylips(m): 1:55pm On Aug 25, 2009
tkconcept:

i beg to disagree! rather, out of sight ignites the passion eventually.

how . . explain
Re: Distance Relationship by tkconcept(m): 2:05pm On Aug 25, 2009
when it comes to matas of the heart, what may work for a couple may not really work for odas. this is y i say this ive been in two different distant relationships and several undistant relationship. the first distant relationship failed cos we failed to communicate and keep intouch all the undistant relationship messed up cos girls cud really be possesive and personally i love space. they second distant relationship is so hot am scared it will burn me (lol). we communicate, call every day, talk about how much we miss each other, fantasize on what we would do when we meet (creating anticipation) this are a few things we do and sometimes i feed she is even with me all the time. a few times i miss her real bad. it would be different if it is a relationship build solely on sex. then distance would definately nullify it.
Re: Distance Relationship by Ben13: 2:10pm On Aug 25, 2009
Rabbishtical Nansense cheesy
Re: Distance Relationship by tkconcept(m): 2:14pm On Aug 25, 2009
Rabbishtical Nansense
grin i feel ur pain!
Re: Distance Relationship by galatico(m): 2:31pm On Aug 25, 2009
Distance Relationship is not a bad ideal, although it has its own disadvantage!!!
Re: Distance Relationship by TheSeeker(m): 2:44pm On Aug 25, 2009
Out of sight, out of mind? That sounds like when you're watching a cat to me. In the first place, when you start a relationship, what are your goals? What do you hope to achieve? What questions do you ask yourself? Personally, do you think you're ready? Relationship bothers on a lot of things - distant or not. Now, are you saying non-distant relationships don't crash even for the dumbest reasons? So does it mean every distant relationship don't work out? I think it's a fair percentage that some distant relationships work as much as non-distant does, and some crash the same way non-distant does; it's all about your approach to the relationship.

The physical, emotional, sexual needs might be there and that's where your commitment, patience, maturity and zeal comes into a great test, and to me, I believe those are the sacrifices for your relationship, which, if undergone will make the relationship a lot stronger when you meet.

Trust is also another quality you don't have to lack if you want to make a distant relationship work. Now, that might be hard depending on how comfortable your partner makes you feel, depends on how often you communicate - but you see, that's why communication is good in every kinds of relationships; it bridges the gap and fills the vacuum- the more you get to talk to each other, the more you know about each other, the more you appreciate . . . then, the expectation that you're going to meet is something that gives your heart a rush, it makes you want to go on.

Now, I'm not saying there aren't disadvantages, there may be too many and that's predicated on your worries. There's a lot that can be told from people's expressions than they can talk about; for instance, some people can aptly tell someone's feelings from the look in their eyes, that may not exactly happen in a distant relationship - the decipher of expression, that is.

It gives some people the power, freedom to cheat (for ardent cheats). You don't know who he/she hangs out with, you don't know what they do, only what you're told. You're left to judge the rest by your instincts or simply believing that person - but trust can equally put that fear out, but that's not to rule out the possibility that some people are cheaters.

But then come to think of it, in non-distant relationships, don't these things happen? People lie, cheat, do whatever they want at their partners' back and still claim to love them while in contrast, people involved in long distance relationships still love each other, and better yet than non-distant relationships, trust and are honestly open to each other.

My opinion is, relationships work out the way you want it to - if the both of you want it to work the perfect way (your goal determines what you want), you can make the choice and work towards it. Give it your best shot and stay real and true to yourself and your partner and everything else will be cool. Be focused. The same applies to all relationships, but distant ones have just a little tone to them.
Re: Distance Relationship by CrazyMan(m): 2:45pm On Aug 25, 2009
It doesn’t work because people change; love is stronger when both partners are close to each other.

You can’t be living on one end of the earth and be dating a girl from another end of the earth and expect such a relationship to work out; it would never work.
Re: Distance Relationship by hbabe(f): 2:51pm On Aug 25, 2009
Not for me. I will not trust any guy to be loyal.
Re: Distance Relationship by GEW: 2:58pm On Aug 25, 2009
distance/ absence makes the heart grow fonder

crazykid:

It doesn’t work because people change; love is stronger when both partners are close to each other.

You can’t be living on one end of the earth and be dating a girl from another end of the earth and expect such a relationship to work out; it would never work.
what is your explanation for those that makes it work ma? you never know should be your answer cos it works for many people. never say never.
hbabe:

Not for me.  I will not trust any guy to be loyal.
like some boys say they would never trust any girl.
Re: Distance Relationship by TheSeeker(m): 3:08pm On Aug 25, 2009
crazykid:

Amazing way you think, so amazing. Now could you kindly tell me/us how many close relationships that has worked out? How many of your friends got married to the boyfriends they had from close-up relationships?

Love is stronger when partners are close? Reallllyyy? Is that right? Lemme see, example of those people who still cheat on their partners? And those who hit their girlfriends too? What's your definition of "stronger love"? Be constructive please!
hbabe:

Not for me. I will not trust any guy to be loyal.
Makes me wonder why and how your non-distant relationship will work; you've got trust issues, work on it.
GEW:

distance/ absence makes the heart grow fonder
what is your explanation for those that makes it work ma? you never know should be your answer cos it works for many people. never say never. like some boys say they would never trust any girl.
Nice one there. I know three friends who had their distant relationships turned to marriage; seriously, we need evaluation. I think most people are concerned more about what the relationship consists of than how to make it work
Re: Distance Relationship by CrazyMan(m): 3:39pm On Aug 25, 2009
TheSeeker:

Amazing way you think, so amazing. Now could you kindly tell me/us how many close relationships that has worked out? How many of your friends got married to the boyfriends they had from close-up relationships?

Love is stronger when partners are close? Reallllyyy? Is that right? Lemme see, example of those people who still cheat on their partners? And those who hit their girlfriends too? What's your definition of "stronger love"? Be constructive please!

I’m not about to start an argument with you; but how many partners remain faithful when they are apart?

Whether a distance relationship would work would depend on how long the couples are apart from each other.

Can you tell me that if you win a visa lottery today and travel out for about 3 years; and you start calling and texting your partner for the space of those years can’t really do much? If you ask me, I’d it can’t do much because your presence would be greatly required to keep that relationship going.
Re: Distance Relationship by TheSeeker(m): 4:21pm On Aug 25, 2009
crazykid:

I’m not about to start an argument with you; but how many partners remain faithful when they are apart?

Whether a distance relationship would work would depend on how long the couples are apart from each other.

Can you tell me that if you win a visa lottery today and travel out for about 3 years; and you start calling and texting your partner for the space of those years can’t really do much? If you ask me, I’d it can’t do much because your presence would be greatly required to keep that relationship going.
And those partners that are closer to each other, how many of them are faithful? Tell me. You want to tell me you don't see the alarming rate at which people cheat? Take NL for instance, do you know how many problems are posted here every week. A distant relationship may as well work as a close one, it depends on your outset about it.

If you already have doubts before starting it then you will have a problem because every time you'll have it at the back of your mind that it wouldn't work, just like you do now.

What about people who were apart from their girlfriends and boyfriends for more than three years for some reasons, and they still got back together, continued their relationship and subsequently got married? What happened to those?

Like I said, it's from what ever angle you see it from. Some people might be very paranoid (which can be understandable sometimes) but I like to look at the brighter side of every situation, much more like successful people have done and still do. Distant relationship is a challenge on its own and only the bravely courageous can thread on that latitude.

You mentioned presence? How can not being present mar a relationship? The relationships that have gone sour, what caused them even when the presence was abundantly there? Why did so many distant relationships worked? How can you explain that? Again I say, it depends on the set of people involved: Their belief, their goal, their maturity, their comfort level and their understanding. Because in closer relationships, you'll still fail if you lack in any of those areas and don't know what you really want. For real though, what does presence have to do that it's suddenly become the most important factor to making a relationship work?

I think the problem with people is that they can't hold tight and peg down their sexual desire hence, they cheat and sleep with someone else and in their minds, they might or might not feel guilty but will try to console themselves that their partner will most definitely be doing the same - that is where the problem lies for others.
Re: Distance Relationship by iice(f): 3:58pm On Aug 26, 2009
Works for some people, doesn't for other people.

Not my scene at all.
Re: Distance Relationship by candylips(m): 4:03pm On Aug 26, 2009
yes true
Re: Distance Relationship by chidipupay(m): 4:31pm On Aug 26, 2009
TheSeeker:

And those partners that are closer to each other, how many of them are faithful? Tell me. You want to tell me you don't see the alarming rate at which people cheat? Take NL for instance, do you know how many problems are posted here every week. A distant relationship may as well work as a close one, it depends on your outset about it.

If you already have doubts before starting it then you will have a problem because every time you'll have it at the back of your mind that it wouldn't work, just like you do now.

What about people who were apart from their girlfriends and boyfriends for more than three years for some reasons, and they still got back together, continued their relationship and subsequently got married? What happened to those?

Like I said, it's from what ever angle you see it from. Some people might be very paranoid (which can be understandable sometimes) but I like to look at the brighter side of every situation, much more like successful people have done and still do. Distant relationship is a challenge on its own and only the bravely courageous can thread on that latitude.

You mentioned presence? How can not being present mar a relationship? The relationships that have gone sour, what caused them even when the presence was abundantly there? Why did so many distant relationships worked? How can you explain that? Again I say, it depends on the set of people involved: Their belief, their goal, their maturity, their comfort level and their understanding. Because in closer relationships, you'll still fail if you lack in any of those areas and don't know what you really want. For real though, what does presence have to do that it's suddenly become the most important factor to making a relationship work?

I think the problem with people is that they can't hold tight and peg down their sexual desire hence, they cheat and sleep with someone else and in their minds, they might or might not feel guilty but will try to console themselves that their partner will most definitely be doing the same - that is where the problem lies for others.

I am with you in this side of arguement. Many individual dating now doesn't know the reason why they are dating. the sexual aspect is their main importance. that is why a girl will comfortable tell a guy in a relationship that he is not satisfying her sexual need. infact short distance relationship has higher probability rate of cheaters than long distance relationship, reasons are because both of you feel you see each other daily, material demands involve from both side, sexual desire, old fashioned, there are several excuses many individaul who involves themselves in short distance relationship gives just to cheat on the other
Re: Distance Relationship by harrykay(m): 4:53pm On Aug 26, 2009
the worst thing that can happen to any man is to keep distance relationship, pple dat stuff no be am at all i don loss 2 solid relationships becos of distance. can't try it again. if she is not with me, forget it
Re: Distance Relationship by chidipupay(m): 5:08pm On Aug 26, 2009
does the fact that she is with you means that she will not cheat or you will not loose her
Re: Distance Relationship by TheSeeker(m): 5:09pm On Aug 26, 2009
chidipupay:

I am with you in this side of arguement. Many individual dating now doesn't know the reason why they are dating. the sexual aspect is their main importance. that is why a girl will comfortable tell a guy in a relationship that he is not satisfying her sexual need. infact short distance relationship has higher probability rate of cheaters than long distance relationship, reasons are because both of you feel you see each other daily, material demands involve from both side, sexual desire, old fashioned, there are several excuses many individaul who involves themselves in short distance relationship gives just to cheat on the other
Now you're beginning to understand what I'm saying.

(1) (Reply)

See ASUU See Wahala O O O! / Weight In Dating / I Don't Want To Be The First To Ask Him Out.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.