Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,868 members, 7,889,905 topics. Date: Monday, 15 July 2024 at 12:41 AM

Stock Market Tips For Nigerians - Investment (102) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Stock Market Tips For Nigerians (824440 Views)

Nigeria: Stock Market Rides On Elections Success, Gains N178 Billion / Stock Market: Questions And Answers / Nigerian Banks, Stockbrokers, And Services For Nigerians Abroad (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (99) (100) (101) (102) (103) (104) (105) ... (793) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by shigidi(m): 1:24pm On Oct 15, 2007
wema share holders have been protesting the delay in result according to proshare. the corporate manager says people should calm down that the results have been submitted to the CBN and would be made public soon.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by wanaj0: 2:12pm On Oct 15, 2007
The result by UPL is good but I tend to think that Longman has more value. I expect Longman earnings based on previous trend to come mainly in Q3/Q4.

High PE just shows the value that investors place on future growth/earnings. The growth potential in Nigeria is just huge. The banks are yet to scratch the surface of the potentials. MTN just syndicated a loan of $256m. This was done by MANY local banks and some foreign banks. Soon, that will be done locally. Just note that we've not even talked about Mortage.

Look at insurance, the opportunity there is HUGE. Look at companies posting 400% increase in profit.

While it is good to be cautious, the reality is that if the current growth in the economy is sustained, I expect the current situation to continue at least till 2010. So no shaking.

Definitely there will be corrections. Nigeria will not have a market crash at least not now!

shigidi:

@ wanajo, what was your take on that result from university press? not bad ehn? however, loooking at their five year records profit seems to fluctuate, doesnt seem to grow steady.

on another note just thought id let evry1 know i was watching CNN over the weekend and got to business international where analysts were looking at markets in asia and how theyve grown so fast. many of these analysts said the bubble would burst soon and commented on how stocks are doing up to 25 times its current earnings and im thinking 25?? banks here are doing mid thirties. just some foodfor thought for evry1. lets not get carried away. lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by RoughCut(m): 2:36pm On Oct 15, 2007
wanaj0:

The result by UPL is good but I tend to think that Longman has more value. I expect Longman earnings based on previous trend to come mainly in Q3/Q4.

High PE just shows the value that investors place on future growth/earnings. The growth potential in Nigeria is just huge. The banks are yet to scratch the surface of the potentials. MTN just syndicated a loan of $256m. This was done by MANY local banks and some foreign banks. Soon, that will be done locally. Just note that we've not even talked about Mortage.

Look at insurance, the opportunity there is HUGE. Look at companies posting 400% increase in profit.

While it is good to be cautious, the reality is that if the current growth in the economy is sustained, I expect the current situation to continue at least till 2010. So no shaking.
Definitely there will be corrections. Nigeria will not have a market crash at least not now!

Talking  mortgages now apparently Abbey building society (Nig)  Ltd ( a subsidiary of Abbey Plc of UK or is it Spain now?Santander of Spain recently bought Abbey Plc) is in talks with offshore fund managers to BUY 5% equity and also about 25% of it's equity to the local insurance sector while the holding of its parent company Abbey Plc will be reduced accordingly
According to its managing Director it will be listed on the nigerian stock exchange next month and it recently did a private placement of N1B and hopefully when they are finally listed they hope to source for additional funds to the tune of  N20B by floating  a Real Estate Investment Trust Fund(REITS) i think SKYE bank  floated  a REITS recently. Will be interested to know how much the shares will be trading when it's listed.
The collaboration between the mortgage  and insurance industries in the financial sector can only be good for discerning investors.
Are we looking another spate of consolidation/recapitalization in the mortgage sector?
THIS IS ONE TO WATCH!

Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by zukkie4eva(f): 5:56pm On Oct 15, 2007
Wanajo, Shigidi, roughcut, stop evading the question on Japaul & FCMB offer!, pls give us your analysis on these companies, abegggggggggggggg!, are they worth investing in??

"getting frustrated on the lack of info. on these coys". sad
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by husu(m): 5:57pm On Oct 15, 2007
can i open a cscs account with two different brokers,is it possible?.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by MrRisky: 6:07pm On Oct 15, 2007
A friend runs accounts with 4 brokers. To move is not easy, what he does, he could sell off all that he has with any broker if he suddenly becomes disatisfied with him. IT IS CLEARLY POSSIBLE
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by shigidi(m): 6:10pm On Oct 15, 2007
fcmb looks like a good offer.forecast eps of 1 in 2008 and that is attainable with their triple digit growth rate, should be 26 naira in 18 months time if u ask me. i think the bank is going places.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by shigidi(m): 6:14pm On Oct 15, 2007
the recapitalisation of insurance coys has been cancelled. this is not good cos the confusion in the insurance sector is gonna continue. angry angry angry
i hear all mergers have been cancelled.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by wanaj0: 6:44pm On Oct 15, 2007
zukkie4eva:

Wanajo, Shigidi, roughcut, stop evading the question on Japaul & FCMB offer!, please give us your analysis on these companies, abegggggggggggggg!, are they worth investing in??

"getting frustrated on the lack of info. on these coys". sad

For me, I am not enamoured by any of the offers so I am not participating. A rash of offers like this shows that the market is over valued hence the rush by all of them. This is evident in the forward PE's of those offers.

Sincerely, you are better off buying on the floor than tying down money with these offers. Just my thoughts.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by wanaj0: 6:50pm On Oct 15, 2007
shigidi:

the recapitalisation of insurance coys has been cancelled. this is not good because the confusion in the insurance sector is going to continue. angry angry angry

Not quite. What you have is a court ruling that said that the status quo be maintained. Interpretation is that all the companies in existence pre feb 2007 can continue to exist pending when the insurance act is ammended by the National Assembly to reflect the new capital base.

Ideally that should not affect mergers that were willingly consumated. Even without the legal backing, it is obvious that bigger capital base is for the benefit of ALL.

I don't expect it to affect the mergers except for Globe Re.

Also, the funds may now have to be released by CBN since it is no longer necessary to verify the funds of any of the companies.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Temmie10(m): 7:44pm On Oct 15, 2007
shigidi:

the recapitalisation of insurance coys has been cancelled. this is not good because the confusion in the insurance sector is going to continue. angry angry angry

The smart money is still on Insurance. The big questions is 'when this plane will take off?'.
Many insurance companies are taking advantage of the favourable govt policy of underwriting for the oil and gas sector and the bottom line is already being impacted.
The impressive growths of 400-1000% profit increases in half year profit have happened without the release of the escrow funds. If this growth continues in the next quarter of their earnings, this sector will create a new batch of billionaires. The fact that Crusader, mbenefits, wapic, lasaco et al all posted exponential increases in earnings without reciept of the funds hints at the opportunity inherent in the sector.
The industry is still a gold mine waiting to happen. The trends of the next results released will indicate whether the growth is sustainable so i am looking at march 2008 onwards for the returns. Btw do you know that the Abbey society intending on listing on the NSE is 20% owned by Mutual Benefits. Some of the smarter md/ceos in insurance are pulling some major strings into making their firms fully fledged insurance firms with life and non-life assurance, oil and gas, asset management, medical insurance etc. I see more prospects in the sector abeg. The market will not react immediately but this is where one must definitely consider taking a significant position if one does not already have a stake (obtained at a reasonable price). The gap between insurance and banking is Nigeria is too Huge despite the fact that insurance is growing at an alarming rate. The economics of it will catch up eventually.
When the funds then get released, it can only create more value.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by barge(m): 3:37am On Oct 16, 2007
Dear all ,

i quite agree with Temmie 10 , i think his view on the insurance industry is spot on. Rather than a problem , the whole recap- wahala is a beautiful

opportunity to enter the insurance market at low prices. It's not a matter of if the plane will take off ,but when.The returns will be HUGE.Remember the

best time to buy is the period of maximum pessimism ,and that is what obtains right now in the sector.Most of the firms are in negative territory today .I

hope it continues so i can take positions with good margin of safety. Like Temmie 10 said, this is where the smart money should be . A few months

down the line you may read this page over again .
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Nobody: 6:12am On Oct 16, 2007
FCMB PUBLIC OFFER DOCUMENTS
check for attached download

Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by RoughCut(m): 6:18am On Oct 16, 2007
Temmie10:

The smart money is still on Insurance. The big questions is 'when this plane will take off?'.
Many insurance companies are taking advantage of the favourable govt policy of underwriting for the oil and gas sector and the bottom line is already being impacted.
The impressive growths of 400-1000% profit increases in half year profit have happened without the release of the escrow funds. If this growth continues in the next quarter of their earnings, this sector will create a new batch of billionaires. The fact that Crusader, mbenefits, wapic, lasaco et al all posted exponential increases in earnings without reciept of the funds hints at the opportunity inherent in the sector.
The industry is still a gold mine waiting to happen. The trends of the next results released will indicate whether the growth is sustainable so i am looking at march 2008 onwards for the returns. Btw do you know that the Abbey society intending on listing on the NSE is 20% owned by Mutual Benefits. Some of the smarter md/ceos in insurance are pulling some major strings into making their firms fully fledged insurance firms with life and non-life assurance, oil and gas, asset management, medical insurance etc. I see more prospects in the sector abeg. The market will not react immediately but this is where one must definitely consider taking a significant position if one does not already have a stake (obtained at a reasonable price). The gap between insurance and banking is Nigeria is too Huge despite the fact that insurance is growing at an alarming rate. The economics of it will catch up eventually.

The synergy between the insurance and mortgage sectors of the financial services industry is strategic as  well as economically viable. You can not take mortgage without life insurance and /or payment protection plan(as far i'm aware in the developed economies) so it makes perfect economic sense.Moreso the mortgage industry is just taking off and when you invest in an insurance company that already has equity in a mortgage company you are investing in two entities by proxy(indirectly).
It is very dangerous  for liquidity to be concentrated in a particular sector of the productive economy i.e banking so moving liquidity away from banking stocks( i wish) to other sectors can only be good for the wider economy going forward. I agree with Temmie10 the discerning and should i say smart investor should be looking in that direction it is definitely the next big thing. As soon as the logistics and the capitalization/recapitalization issues are sorted out and things  bed down you can bet there will be only one way to go!
Keep your eyes peeled 2008 is just round the corner
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by wanaj0: 6:50am On Oct 16, 2007
Temmie10:

Temmie, while I share your optimism, certain things also need to be put into consideration.

Firstly, some of the exponential increase in profit is due to mergers and in some cases the investment returns of those insurance companies. Some are heavily exposed to the capital market.

Secondly, I think the amount with CBN is sometimes exaggerated. What I thought was that only 10% was kept with CBN. That was the initial plan though I stand corrected on this.

While the local content policy in the oil and gas industry is good, even with the capitalisation, the companies are not ready for that. Things can only get better though.

Life insurance, health insurance are going to be the money spinners. Hope they are ready for this. Pension is another one. Crusader seems ready for this.

The insurance industry will do well. The regulators however need to step up. Their handling of the consolidation exercise is at best shoddy. Just compare with the banking consolidation and the difference is as clear as day!
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by MrRisky: 9:18am On Oct 16, 2007
I said and continue to maintain that the Insurance sector holds the dice going forward in the short to medium term. The Nigerian investment opportunities are huge and quite enormous. The financial sector having taken a turn especially in the banking arm, the recapitalization exercise cannot fail. The government knows quite well that the stakes are high if the recapitalization fails to hit the target. It is needless to assume that the insurance industry in Nigeria is not ready or not positioning for the opportunities inherent there. There is quite a lot of underground work going on. No better time to pile up the units than now!!
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by damoche07(m): 9:24am On Oct 16, 2007
Thank u,thank u and thank u.

which of them(insurance stocks) do u now advice us to plunge into.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by MyPeace(f): 9:28am On Oct 16, 2007
They have been saying crusader all the way, but do guys think Crusader can still come down in price?

l bought lasaco at 3.25k, so annoying looking at the current price, wish crusader can still come down as its doing of recent before l can take a stand.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by MrRisky: 9:51am On Oct 16, 2007
I can only say what I have in my portfolio. And these are the ones I have personally done my home work on, and they are:

[list]
[li]Crusader
Mutual Benefit Assurance
AIICO
Custodian & Allied
Wapic
Cornerstone [/li]
[li][/li]
[/list] (Long term in view, because before the foreign investor into it, though large, but was not profitable)
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by MyPeace(f): 9:57am On Oct 16, 2007
Mr. Risky pls could you explain this your last sentence, it somehow confusing. thank you.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by hola2ng(m): 10:28am On Oct 16, 2007
Mr. Risky:

I can only say what I have in my portfolio. And these are the ones I have personally done my home work on, and

@Mr Risky
Very well said.
It is definitely up to you -the investor to do background research/check on any company stock that you are thinking of even investing in. Never listen to the advice of anyone alone.Because everyone buys for various reasons.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by diva4eva(f): 11:12am On Oct 16, 2007
@ WANAJO,
PLS WHAT'S THE PROBLEM THAT GLOBE RE IS EXPERIENCING. I BOUGHT LOADS OF IT DURING THE PRIVATE PLACEMENT AND I'M BEGINNING TO GET WORRIED. I HOPE I HVNT BURNT MY FINGERS AND TOES. pls u can reply me via amaleux@yahoo.com. i'll really appreciate
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by MrRisky: 11:48am On Oct 16, 2007
My Peace,
Sorry, my last statement in my earlier post concerns ONLY CORNERSTONE, not Mutual Benefit, Crusader or others. Cornerstone is a great insurance company relatively speaking, but their profitability has not been impressive like its peers. For instance here is their performances so far:
MUTUAL BENEFIT (six months result = N448m)
CRUSADER (six months result = N593m)
WAPIC (Though no result yet, but they are expanding even beyond the Nigerian shores)
AIICO (recently merged with two others, and promises to do fine, and they are generous with bonus and dividend)
Cornerstone (six months result = N276m)
Staco (six months result = N301m)
Standard Alliance (six months result = N301m)
Sovereign Trust (six months result = N222m)
LASACO (Six months result = N560m)

This is what I have personally gathered from my findings about them. Although they all do not have the same figure as their shares outstanding, but you can even see that Staco, a new comer to the market did better than Cornerstone in their 6 months result. Methinks their profit results matters in one's analysis.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by MrRisky: 11:55am On Oct 16, 2007
to Add Others are:

Custodian & Allied (six months result = N435m)
NEM (six months result = N213m)
LAW UNION (six months result = N274m)
NIGER INSURANCE (Six months result = N354m)

Others I am not very interested for now grin
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by MyPeace(f): 12:44pm On Oct 16, 2007
Thank you Mr Risky, its well understood now. But do you think crusader price will still crash down wards?? l pray it does so in the meantime, so that l can partake.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by shigidi(m): 1:04pm On Oct 16, 2007
MyPeace:

Thank you Mr Risky, its well understood now. But do you think crusader price will still crash down wards?? l pray it does so in the meantime, so that l can partake.
get crusader now!!! the fact that its only crusader and wapic that havent taken a bashing recently tells you something. it might be a two year stock, but there is a lot of promise in crusader, i only hope this palava is sorted out soonest .
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by MrRisky: 1:21pm On Oct 16, 2007
My Peace,
If not for the hyperactivity at the Primary Market and the non release of the insurance funds in the Escrow account with CBN, Crusader should be trading in the region of 7-8 naira by this time.  So at the current price of between 4 - 5 Naira, it is ok by me.  Indeed my average pile up price so far has been N4.52.  And yet NO SHAKING.  

It is rewarding to believe in what one is doing.  My philosophy of life is BE GENUINELY CONVINCED IN WHAT YOU ARE DOING AND THEN THE RESULTS COULD BE EITHER WAY.  In that case I could proudly tell myself "You have acted rationally afterall".

I bought some 100,000 of LASACO at N3.75.  STILL NO SHAKING.  I heard someone shouting that he/she bought LASACO at more than N3?  Why?  You need to do your home work before buying into any company.  You buy the COMPANY not the units.  What is the company going forward?  That for me is the most important question.  A company may not have been doing well in the past etc, but having now rebranded and with accompanying results, what is the company going forward?  Some of the insurance companies are seating up now, soon it will become unavoidable for them to aligned their practices to global best practices as it now happening in the banking sector.  GTB is now on the London Stock Exchange, after passing through very stringent rules.  Last year it was not there,  GOOD TO BE POSITIVE AND REALISTIC.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by MyPeace(f): 1:27pm On Oct 16, 2007
thxs alot.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by shigidi(m): 1:30pm On Oct 16, 2007
Mr. Risky:

My Peace,
If not for the hyperactivity at the Primary Market and the non release of the insurance funds in the Escrow account with CBN, Crusader should be trading in the region of 7-8 naira by this time. So at the current price of between 4 - 5 Naira, it is ok by me. Indeed my average pile up price so far has been N4.52. And yet NO SHAKING.

It is rewarding to believe in what one is doing. My philosophy of life is BE GENUINELY CONVINCED IN WHAT YOU ARE DOING AND THEN THE RESULTS COULD BE EITHER WAY. In that case I could proudly tell myself "You have acted rationally afterall".

I bought some 100,000 of LASACO at N3.75. STILL NO SHAKING. I heard someone shouting that he/she bought LASACO at more than N3? Why? You need to do your home work before buying into any company. You buy the COMPANY not the units. What is the company going forward? That for me is the most important question. A company may not have been doing well in the past etc, but having now rebranded and with accompanying results, what is the company going forward? Some of the insurance companies are seating up now, soon it will become unavoidable for them to aligned their practices to global best practices as it now happening in the banking sector. GTB is now on the London Stock Exchange, after passing through very stringent rules. Last year it was not there, GOOD TO BE POSITIVE AND REALISTIC.
well said. very well said
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by shigidi(m): 1:34pm On Oct 16, 2007
its amazing how the market can act sometimes.
access was on net bid for two months,at 19 naira and after all the excitement with the ts been lifted ,it moves a bit and goes straight back to 19. i hope no one here bought at a premium. to think we were all saying it should hit 25naira this week. embarassed embarassed embarassed my bad.
still, at 19 naira, it looks very good going forward, would advise people to take position now, cos it looks relatively cheap at this price.
and whats with intecontinentals sudden run. undecided
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Temmie10(m): 1:42pm On Oct 16, 2007
shigidi:

its amazing how the market can act sometimes.
access was on net bid for two months,at 19 naira and after all the excitement with the ts been lifted ,it moves a bit and goes straight back to 19. i hope no one here bought at a premium. to think we were all saying it should hit 25naira this week. embarassed embarassed embarassed my bad.
still, at 19 naira, it looks very good going forward, would advise people to take position now, because it looks relatively cheap at this price.
and whats with intecontinentals sudden run. undecided
Spot on. the market in the short term almost always seems irrational (the truth behind most huge movements only appear after the movements). remember when i said that First Inland would not take a beating for its pathetic result and the stock has held its own.

I think the folks who did the mopping up of the Access shares pre-po are vommitting what they took. I see Access shedding some more weight nevertheless it remains attractive going forward.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by shigidi(m): 1:50pm On Oct 16, 2007
@ temmie 10,
na wa for you where have you bin? abi we dey fight grin grin
good to hear from you sha. hope all is well.

(1) (2) (3) ... (99) (100) (101) (102) (103) (104) (105) ... (793) (Reply)

Mutual Funds / MBA Investors Forum / Crypto Currency Investors Thread

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.