Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,156 members, 7,949,969 topics. Date: Monday, 16 September 2024 at 03:24 AM

Stock Market Tips For Nigerians - Investment (18) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Stock Market Tips For Nigerians (834045 Views)

Nigeria: Stock Market Rides On Elections Success, Gains N178 Billion / Stock Market: Questions And Answers / Nigerian Banks, Stockbrokers, And Services For Nigerians Abroad (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) ... (793) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Success77: 11:12pm On Apr 17, 2007
Does anybody have any information about the rumoured Private Placement offer by Intercontinental Homes (Savings & loans)? I am interested in subscribing to this private placement but couldn't get much info on it.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by ccaramel(f): 11:57pm On Apr 17, 2007
I'm a newbie  to the Nigerian stock market,  I do trade in mutual funds and ETF's in Canada. Its seems everyone here is buying individual coys. . .I like to diversify my portfolio so i'm looking to trade in mutual funds. . .Could anybody let me know a good mutual fund company in Nigeria? Thank you and please invest wisely. . .
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by ccaramel(f): 12:17am On Apr 18, 2007
Another question, Does anybody invest in IBTC Equity Fund? I will like to know the performance of this fund. It seems they know what they are doing and they do accept foreign investors. . . cheesy
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by frankiriri(m): 7:16am On Apr 18, 2007
cheexy:

@Frankiriri,
Ah ah Mr Frank, i was just marvelled at your tone nowwww kiss. Why are you now being defensive? It was just a joke, my eyes used to ache by just reading your post until i got used to your style of writing. You are good and we all appreciate you no doubt. So you can imagine my shock when i read your excitement on the transcorp issue.

I am not excited about the Transcorp thingy. I am just watching the developments and saying it as it is. Anyway sha its all good.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by frankiriri(m): 7:18am On Apr 18, 2007
ccaramel:

I'm a newbie to the Nigerian stock market, I do trade in mutual funds and ETF's in Canada. Its seems everyone here is buying individual coys. . .I like to diversify my portfolio so i'm looking to trade in mutual funds. . .Could anybody let me know a good mutual fund company in Nigeria? Thank you and please invest wisely. . .
Try IBTC Equity fund- ibtc.com
Discovery fund- arm.com.ng
Coral Fund run by FSDH
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by frankiriri(m): 7:20am On Apr 18, 2007
ccaramel:

Another question, Does anybody invest in IBTC Equity Fund? I will like to know the performance of this fund. It seems they know what they are doing and they do accept foreign investors. . . cheesy
As far as mutual funds are concerned IBTC equity fund is No1.
It is run by Nigeria's foremost Investment bank. IBTC
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Fammie(f): 7:50am On Apr 18, 2007
@ Sexychica and Fellybabe, call me on 08058822219 for consultation.

Thanks
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by cheexy: 8:41am On Apr 18, 2007
@feelgood,
I agree with you, Abc transport is doing really well on the market even though i didn't buy the public offer. Another stock that is impressing me is mutual benefit assurance. Nigerian brewries is still very confused. Dunlop is also doing well, stock wise. Chellaram is still good but scarce.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Lawalco: 2:16pm On Apr 18, 2007
stock/shares  is a good business in both short and long term basis,all and sundry should remain focus on it and be ready to gather relevant information before making moves,i will soon send relevant research work and information  on some company of interest.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by K2: 3:22pm On Apr 18, 2007
@Cheexy. Is there any particular reason or reasons why you desire Chellarams? Is there News out there that we are not aware of, or have you done an analysis on their fundamentals? Could you also help to find out if Stockswatch is available for outside Naija subscription or online? Thanks.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by K2: 3:43pm On Apr 18, 2007
@Frank. DSR Wasn't taxed a year ago, but they were taxed this newly released quarter. Is their Tax honeymoon over?
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by SavvyLanre: 3:46pm On Apr 18, 2007
BTW - What is the final verdict on DEAP? Did anyone manage to find out the reason for their loss in 2005?
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by ccaramel(f): 5:03pm On Apr 18, 2007
frankiriri:

As far as mutual funds are concerned IBTC equity fund is No1.
It is run by Nigeria's foremost Investment bank. IBTC

thank frankiriri. . I did speak with a fund manager at IBTC Funds. . . It really looks promising.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Rlst84sale(m): 5:34pm On Apr 18, 2007
This is probably the best, or one of the top five postings on this website. I have only been here for less than 4 weeks and I just stumbled into this thread. Big thank you goes to everyone that has contributed to this posting. I really think this will help us a lot especially in building wealth for our future and the generation coming behind us.

For you fellows that have been trading in Naija stocks, or that is familiar with Naija business law please provide us with more info on what to do in case a stock broker/agent sells your stocks/shares without your consent.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by windywendy(f): 5:58pm On Apr 18, 2007
frankiriri:

I work in the credit risk management group of one of the leading banks and So I am privy to information that indicates that Banks are still in possesion of public funds. The withdrawa; was temporal. It has happened before and it would happen again. However I still don't think it would materially affect my bank or Oceanic as long as sufficient notice is given it would only increase the cost of short term funds.

So what's your opinion on Oshkosh's N55 target for oceanic? Or better put, based on fundamentals, where do you see oceanic's share price a year from now or by year end?
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by windywendy(f): 6:04pm On Apr 18, 2007
feelgood:

Has anyone been watching ABC transport? It's shares have been steadily rising since it got listed on the exchange. Also the company has rapidly been expanding it's operations nationwide and its fleet has greatly increased. Recently, it entered into a business partnership with fidelity bank on e
booking and payments.
Any comments/advise from the pros out there?

ABC transport got a substantial injection of funds from a private equity investor headed by former anderson chief (kramer) and some ex-goldman sachs and ex- T. Rowe Price guys. I believe it's ACA, the same fund that took over cornerstone insurance and one other company on the stock exchange (which I don't remember now).
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by cheexy: 10:31pm On Apr 18, 2007
@Rlst84sale
Thanks for your comment
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Loads: 11:01pm On Apr 18, 2007
SavvyLanre:

BTW - What is the final verdict on DEAP? Did anyone manage to find out the reason for their loss in 2005?

They bought 60% stake in Resort Securities Ltd which brought down their profit but will ultimately increase it over the years.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Loads: 11:10pm On Apr 18, 2007
For you fellows that have been trading in Naija stocks, or that is familiar with Naija business law please provide us with more info on what to do in case a stock broker/agent sells your stocks/shares without your consent.
[quote][/quote]

Report the broker to SEC immediately and talk to your lawyer with a possiblity of suing them if they don't settle. It happenned to someone close to me and they got their money back from the broker times two before the court date. They also received a big caution from the SEC's office, their license almost got revoked. They are now on the watch list, any more complain they willbe gone.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by cheexy: 11:32pm On Apr 18, 2007
@k2
I just love the stock because they are grossly underpriced at 1.87 and their EPS 0.17,  which is much higher than the EPS of companies such as PHB which sells at about 5 naira but its E.P.S is 0.12. I really think it is a growth stock that is going to wake up soon. They are into a lot of things. It is just very scarce. Too damn scarce. Only 825 units were traded today. 825 units!!!! shocked
@Loads
Did you get the money? You can sue the company once it was not stated in the account opening form that you have given them the permission to sell off some of your shares on your behalf without your consent. Review your contract and ask for explanations before you start any legal squabbles.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by frankiriri(m): 7:06am On Apr 19, 2007
K2:

@Frank. DSR Wasn't taxed a year ago, but they were taxed this newly released quarter. Is their Tax honeymoon over?
Well, I just noted that. I think they had been in operation before as the sugar division of Dangote industries and must have claimed some tax exemptions then. But the results are interim and they are just being prident by providing for tax. I am sure that with Dangote's influence in Nigeria they should be able to get an extension.
I will check the prospectus to see how long they operated as a division of Dangote
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by frankiriri(m): 7:08am On Apr 19, 2007
ccaramel:

thank frankiriri. . I did speak with a fund manager at IBTC Funds. . . It really looks promising.
U are welcome
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by frankiriri(m): 7:12am On Apr 19, 2007
windywendy:

So what's your opinion on Oshkosh's N55 target for oceanic? Or better put, based on fundamentals, where do you see oceanic's share price a year from now or by year end?
Given the market trend and Oceanics fundamental, it would likely hit N30
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Obamedo: 8:54am On Apr 19, 2007
@Loads
Thanks for the info on DEAP
I have been at loss to explain the discrepancy in their financials

I think they now look an excellent prospect with this news

Cheers
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by igbonla(m): 3:39pm On Apr 19, 2007
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by battleaxe: 5:04pm On Apr 19, 2007
Hi,
I was wondering if soemone could help me with the following issues.
1. I currently have a CSCS account in my name and I enjoy a reduced fee rate from the stockbroker. However, I will be getting married before the end of the month and I was wondering if it would be possible for me to change the CSCS account name to now bear "Mr and Mrs". My stockbroker discouraged it saying its not possible or it could be messy but I tend to think it should be possible and would appreciate it if soemone could help clarify as to whether its possible or not and the procedure I should go through.
2. If it is possible to change the CSCS account name to a joint account, would we have to trade in the name of a particular individual or can we still buy and trade on these shares in the joint names?
Thank you.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by joshO: 8:09pm On Apr 19, 2007
Oceanic bank declared a 1 for 1 and dividends recently,  has anyone received these especially the 1:1 bonus shares? What's the line of enquiries for aggrieved souls make the thing no go lost!! angry

Thanks
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by ccaramel(f): 1:53am On Apr 20, 2007
The basic rules of how I invest below:

1. Only invest in good companies.
2. Once you’ve found a good company - wait for it to go on sale (based on fundamentals).
3. Only invest in companies you understand (if you can’t tell a stranger what they do then don’t buy them).
4. Look for companies with a growing dividend.
5. Ignore the daily noise of the market.
6. Take a long term perspective (it sometime takes a while for the market to realize value).
7. Diversify, but not too much (do it only if it makes sense and the company meets your criteria)
8. Nobody cares more about your money than you.

Well so far, it's been working for me, Make your money work for you!!!

1 Like

Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by SavvyLanre: 2:01am On Apr 20, 2007
Loads:

They bought 60% stake in Resort Securities Ltd which brought down their profit but will ultimately increase it over the years.

@ Loads
Many thanks, so where did you get this information. Also, do you think they would make 4 by the end of the year,
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by frankiriri(m): 7:30am On Apr 20, 2007
ccaramel:

The basic rules of how I invest below:

1. Only invest in good companies.
2. Once you’ve found a good company - wait for it to go on sale (based on fundamentals).
3. Only invest in companies you understand (if you can’t tell a stranger what they do then don’t buy them).
4. Look for companies with a growing dividend.
5. Ignore the daily noise of the market.
6. Take a long term perspective (it sometime takes a while for the market to realize value).
7. Diversify, but not too much (do it only if it makes sense and the company meets your criteria)
8. Nobody cares more about your money than you.

Well so far, it's been working for me, Make your money work for you!!!
I like your rules especially number 3 , 6 and 7.
They are rules that my role model Warren Buffet uses also
But how do you recognise a 'good company'
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by hola2ng(m): 9:38am On Apr 20, 2007
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by crazyT(m): 12:05pm On Apr 20, 2007
Hi guys I am new here and this is my first post, I really enjoy reading all the posts especially on this topic.
I am just curious why much are not said about penny stocks. For example I bought Afroil at 0.42 Kobo last February and it has appreciated more than 400% in less than 2 months, to me that is good investment compared to Dangote that has not appreciated up to 200%. What’s your take on my statement

(1) (2) (3) ... (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) ... (793) (Reply)

Mutual Funds / MBA Investors Forum / Crypto Currency Investors Thread

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.