Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,092 members, 7,880,412 topics. Date: Thursday, 04 July 2024 at 05:50 PM

Stock Market Tips For Nigerians - Investment (253) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Stock Market Tips For Nigerians (822700 Views)

Nigeria: Stock Market Rides On Elections Success, Gains N178 Billion / Stock Market: Questions And Answers / Nigerian Banks, Stockbrokers, And Services For Nigerians Abroad (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (250) (251) (252) (253) (254) (255) (256) ... (793) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by chokit(m): 10:46pm On Dec 16, 2007
oawele:

i need a good stock broking firm that has a good customer services, one that i just need to make a phone call or do a mail and my mandates will be carried out for me. i currently plan on starting with about 100k and gradually sell my stocks which is valued at approximately 500k and buy with the new brokers to avoid the hussles my current broker might want to give me.
if any one knows one, please let me know and also a contact person i can call up to discuss with?

mean while, i came across this site that educates one on stock analysis. it doesn`t look bad. check it out.
http://stockcharts.com/school/doku.php?id=chart_school:overview

does any know how amyn investments customer services are?

I dont know much of amyn investments though they exist.For me i use ubastockbrokers and so far so good i am satisfy,you may better look at the big ones.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Talktrue(m): 10:52pm On Dec 16, 2007
@ oawele
Afrinvest comes highly recommended. Though their minimum is 500k. You might wanna talk to them and see wat happens with ur 100K
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by chokit(m): 10:59pm On Dec 16, 2007
@all,
which way do you feel i go i am caught up between aiico and phb to buy from the floor.I dont have too much t spend so looking at the prices i am bit scared of phb@25.51.Then i look back and said prices dont always matter though they said 'its better to make money when buying than when selling"My concern is which stock will be more profitable and reliable looking @ aiico with 3+.

The point is i have already booked phb offer and also thinking of aiico offer.But i want to buy from the floor also to aviod the oversubscriptions and also to meet up with momentum trading.

Godbless.Temmy,pumping wanajo,easimoni father of 2,windy etc.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by chokit(m): 11:00pm On Dec 16, 2007
Temmie 10 where are youuuuuuuu,hope you are okay shaa.Holland cold now hope London is fine ?
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Robroy: 11:02pm On Dec 16, 2007
@ Easimoni, others who used the RSI charts
How do you import data from a specific company onto those charts? Easimoni, I see that you computed the RSI and others for an insurance coy ( dont remember the name right now), Please give me more info on a painless way to get my data onto those charts.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by oawele: 11:07pm On Dec 16, 2007
@talktrue
do you use afrinvest?
how do you send you mandates?
where is their office located?
do you have an account officer or somebody i can call up

@chokit
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Geees: 11:11pm On Dec 16, 2007
WOW,
Three days break and it took discipline to get to the end of the thread,
Thanks technical analysts, but I STRONGLY suggest fundamentals is key, The Iroko tree is not strong for nothing,
PLEASE FIND THE ROOT OF THE TREE BEFORE YOU INVEST, If you can't ask here, at least to start with.

@ Aktopgun
Congratulations, May God bless and increase you continually.  Nice to see you shared the joy with us,
Having read the posts its not that scary yes you'll have disturbed sleep but we humans are good at adapting so you'll adapt,
Regaeds to ur wife.

@Wanaj0
How is the auditorium what i see online is impressive?,
How sad that you'll be reducing your presence here but I would rather that the calling take higher priority,
Shalom

@All
Please keep pumping The nigerian market is getting deeper, I just pray we fix PHCN, Refineries, tighten our borders and keep the money in the country,
1USD will soon be 50 naira, No more GDR's

Cheers
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by drdaniel(m): 11:12pm On Dec 16, 2007
Welcome back wanajo.
HOW WAS CAMP.

THE NEXT LEVEL. I wont be left out myself.

All the best of God's guidance next year to the whole house.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by LondonCool(m): 11:21pm On Dec 16, 2007
oawele:

@talktrue
do you use afrinvest?

I use Afrinvest W.A Ltd too. You can check their website www.afrinvestwa.com for more information

Or you could visit them at 11/12th Floor, Foreshore Towers, 2A Osborne Road, Ikoyi, Lagos

Their number is : +234 1 270 1680-8
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Geees: 11:26pm On Dec 16, 2007
@ All
I believe we will all improve our status from the NSE and other streams of income, however please dont let greed drive one under.
Margins are good however don't take one until you can keep paying from your salary or biz, even if the stocks you bought did not yield profit in thte time frame expected,
Got burnt in NOSpec, even though i had warning signs, I had to sit tight for a while,
In 2008 my suggestion RESEARCH b4 you place the order,
Cheers
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by oawele: 11:28pm On Dec 16, 2007
Rob-roy:

@ Easimoni, others who used the RSI charts
How do you import data from a specific company onto those charts? Easimoni, I see that you computed the RSI and others for an insurance coy ( don't remember the name right now), Please give me more info on a painless way to get my data onto those charts.

let me try to help easimoni here.

i manually input the stock prices for the selected days into my excel file and excel draws up the chart.
i don`t do this for all companies but instead i do for five or six companies with good fundamentals and watch them.

you can use this excel file, it calculates the RSI for you when you input necessary data.

i stand to be corrected.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Krrush(m): 11:29pm On Dec 16, 2007
blueband:

Medilag alumnus here.Which set were you?

Finished '94/'95.How 'bout you? You sabi BJ dem, Dem Jido's & Damoski's gpoup, ?
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by oawele: 11:33pm On Dec 16, 2007
oawele:

let me try to help easimoni here.

i manually input the stock prices for the selected days into my excel file and excel draws up the chart.
i don`t do this for all companies but instead i do for five or six companies with good fundamentals and watch them.

you can use this excel file, it calculates the RSI for you when you input necessary data.

i stand to be corrected.

this is the excel file

Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by blueband(m): 11:39pm On Dec 16, 2007
Krrush:

Finished '94/'95.How 'bout you? You sabi BJ them, Dem Jido's & Damoski's gpoup, ?
Don't know any of these people.Finished 1999/2000.Was in part 2 when you finished.Guess the only time we might have had contact was during fellowships or COMSA Football Cup
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Geees: 11:42pm On Dec 16, 2007
To all the ladies on the thread,
I recognise the unique God given gift of intuition bestowed in the woman, Abeg lets feel more of you on the thread,
Yodi, WWendy et al
Just saying hi, grin
Have a great week everyone
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by oawele: 11:43pm On Dec 16, 2007
LondonCool:

I use Afrinvest W.A Ltd too. You can check their website www.afrinvestwa.com for more information

Or you could visit them at 11/12th Floor, Foreshore Towers, 2A Osborne Road, Ikoyi, Lagos

thanks londoncool.

how do you send in for mandates to buy and sell?
do you have any contact person i can ask for when i call them up?
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Talktrue(m): 11:45pm On Dec 16, 2007
LondonCool:

@ oawele
Hope this clears it for you, you can send your mandate Via mail (preferred by me, you have evidence) or by phone (depending on your relationship with your acct officer), but I suggest you stick to mail.

Tayo 08035200503 (she works at the PH office though)
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by oawele: 12:02am On Dec 17, 2007
Talktrue:

@ oawele
Hope this clears it for you, you can send your mandate Via mail (preferred by me, you have evidence) or by phone (depending on your relationship with your acct officer), but I suggest you stick to mail.

Tayo 08035200503 (she works at the PH office though)

thanks this clears it up.
i will give them a call and hopefully i should work out something with them.
thanks again

i really hope that it doesn`t take afrinvest much time to attend to a mail (mandate) cause i have sent a mail to my present stock broker to sell my cadbury for the past one month and it hasn`t been done. i don`t thing they look at their mail box
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by moneypalav: 12:04am On Dec 17, 2007
@oawele

Please do not touch Amyn with a 20 foot pole. Their customer service is nothing to write home about. I confronted them as to why they have not fulfilled my order after about two weeks, they told me the MD is out of town, "she is the one who goes to the floor" was what they told me. I can tell you more horror stories about them but I will leave the issue alone. I am not bad mouthing them, I am just telling you my experience. It even makes me wonder that maybe because they collect such a small amount of money to start with, they are over worked. Please stay away from them. I am writing from experience
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by SGN(m): 12:12am On Dec 17, 2007
@oawele

I use cowryasset Mgt ltd.

www.cowryasset.com

You can get their contact and address from the website.

I got a good account officer, order are prompt, so far,  (six months, since I have been with them).

Its like their minimume is 200K, Call them up and try to speak with one Ayodele.

cheers.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by SGN(m): 12:14am On Dec 17, 2007
@Blueband

I sent you the Access Allotment Proposal.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by oawele: 12:17am On Dec 17, 2007
moneypalav:

@oawele

Please do not touch Amyn with a 20 foot pole. Their customer service is nothing to write home about. I confronted them as to why they have not fulfilled my order after about two weeks, they told me the MD is out of town, "she is the one who goes to the floor" was what they told me. I can tell you more horror stories about them but I will leave the issue alone. I am not bad mouthing them, I am just telling you my experience. It even makes me wonder that maybe because they collect such a small amount of money to start with, they are over worked. Please stay away from them. I am writing from experience

@moneypalav
i did not want to mention the name of my current stockbroker (Amyn investments) but i have to because i am totally disappointed in them. if i want any thing done i have to go there personally and that is not a confirmation that it will be done promptly. i am not even intending to transfer my current stocks with them cause i know they will give me enough hassles so i will just sell them gradually.
but let me not fail to mention that i have great respect for the MD (Hawa Audu). but i have to leave them. angry
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by SGN(m): 12:18am On Dec 17, 2007
@Wanaj0

Great for you Man.

But please pop in from time to time and give us invaluable tips, information and contribution.  We miss you.

Cheers.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by SGN(m): 12:19am On Dec 17, 2007
@oawele

At cowry asset , you can send in orders by mail, and its as good as going there yourself.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by oawele: 12:25am On Dec 17, 2007
SGN:

@oawele

At cowry asset , you can send in orders by mail, and its as good as going there yourself.

@SGN

i`ll give them a call and see if i can work something out
thanks.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by naomi101: 12:28am On Dec 17, 2007
Hi Guys, I am new to this forum and very impressed with the topics discussed. Merry xmas to everyone. Can anyone tell me when consolidated hallmark ins. (CHI) will be listing?. Secondly does anyone know anything about union assurance, They declared a good result in the guardian newspaper on the 13th. Thnx
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Robroy: 12:29am On Dec 17, 2007
@Oawele
Thanx for the spreadsheet.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by samstone4(m): 1:00am On Dec 17, 2007
@Aowele

Thanks for the RSI spreadsheet.

@Wanajo

What exactly do you mean by reaching another level?
Do you mean spiritual level or financial?
How exactly did you recognise that you have attained the next level?
Just curious.
Anyway, it seems a good desirable thing so Congratulations and Merry Christmas!

@All

Merry Christmas and a healthy, prosperous and happy 2008.

Samstone4 cool cool cool cool
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by LondonCool(m): 1:35am On Dec 17, 2007
@Oawele,

To construct my RSI charting index for my prefered Stock using your spreadsheet which columns will I need to update/input in order to generate the RS/RSI ? Are the formulars already saved in the spreadsheet?
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by windywendy(f): 1:38am On Dec 17, 2007
@Shigidi, if I may just chip in a little, sorry Wanaj0, no intention to usurp smiley

In my opinion, the best time to sell is when the reasons you liked the stock in the first place no longer exist. Typically, when I buy a stock that I intend to hold for the long term, I keep tabs on the company, checking in on management strategy, market share, turnover of key personnel, valuation, etc. For as long as the story is still exciting and I believe the stock still has some upside potential not comparable to others available, I hold on. Now if things change -- say for instance the stock becomes over-valued due to the usual run up in price as a result of bonus announcements -- I sell, and may possibly buy back if things begin to look exciting again.

For stocks that I don't intend to hold long term, I just watch the trends and sell when I notice dwindling demand plus a lower price appreciation (or even a price depreciation or average prices lower than closing, or rumors, etc). Intuition also plays a part sometimes wait a minute, did I just say that

@Gees, what can I say? Let's just say that if intuition worked very well in the stock market, then I'ld be on forbes billionaires' list by now  smiley smiley
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by RoughCut(m): 1:55am On Dec 17, 2007
For all those who have been asking about how to chart and calculate TA indicators please find attached a little tutorial on RSI, OBV, MACD and moving averages with a real-life demo.
The charting software is American unfortunately(well may be not) but its pretty cool you don't have to feed in the data manually it has a feed from the exchanges which means all you you need to is input the symbol for the company  you are interested in and select all the charts and indicators you are interested in and that's it.

Read the tutorial attached with this post and visit this link[url]http://stockcharts.com/h-sc/ui?c=msft,uu[l,a]daclnimy[p][vc60][iua12,26,9][/url] before everything begins to make sense. I think someone else has already referred to this website whick i think is pretty cool

I will be talking about stochastic indicators fast and slow in the next instalment these are very useful for non-trending patterns where the periods are relatively short and you cant establish a clear pattern.For the indicators we have tried discussing on this thread they may give false SIGNALS as the time frame may not be enough to form a definitive pattern

If you need software that will analyse NSE stocks visit trw-stockbrokers.com and you can download a free charting software on the free software hyperlink i havent tried myself. You need an internet connection as the software has a live feed  to the NSE which is used  for downloading NSE data to its back-end database so i gather which means you don't need to maintain a database for the NSE data

Secondly make sure you have anti-virus protection on your computer to guard against spyware that may inadvertently be downloaded (i'm not saying this is the case but just to be sure)

If anybody has been able to use this software please holla

Happy investing

Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Naijadr: 4:01am On Dec 17, 2007
@RoughCut thanks, the software download page wasnt going through for me but I like the whole idea of not having to manually enter my data. I have some pretty good TA software, good ol MetaStock that most use (I found link to download it from Indian stock exchange forum grin ), there's Aptistock which is free and great, I am using both now but manually entering data is tiring.
Fundamental analysis is great, it lets me know if comp is solid
TA tells me when to get in, and sometimes all things being equal when to come out
media like newspapers, intuition, nairaland, proshare,businessdayonline and other sources fills in the missing gaps and brings it all together

(1) (2) (3) ... (250) (251) (252) (253) (254) (255) (256) ... (793) (Reply)

Mutual Funds / MBA Investors Forum / Crypto Currency Investors Thread

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.