Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,183,807 members, 7,921,861 topics. Date: Thursday, 15 August 2024 at 01:55 PM

Mixed Christian-Muslim Families - Let's Share Experience - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Mixed Christian-Muslim Families - Let's Share Experience (1056 Views)

Christians Who Converted From Islamic Families Share Your Stories / My Father Said I Would Regret It If I Dare Marry A Christian - Muslim Lady Cries / As A Christian/muslim, Have You Ever Prayed For Satan? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Mixed Christian-Muslim Families - Let's Share Experience by cosade(m): 5:31pm On Jun 10, 2016
In the last few days, there have been so much unhealthy arguments amongst Christian and Muslim Nairalanders. With too much hate words used, I started wondering if is there something unique about my larger family.

My parternal grandfather had six sons, the first three are Muslims while the last three are Christians. There was so much love amongst the six of them. I have first cousins that are Muslims. As a matter of fact, my closest cousin is an Al-Hajj.

The larger family meets four times yearly; on new year day, Easter Sunday, Eid Al-Fitr (Itunu Awe) and Eid Al-Adha (Ileya) days. We all come to the village (as many that can) to celebrate with each other and hold family meeting.

When I got married, a Muslim friend was my best man, now Aare Adinni. He is still my best friend till date.

Growing up in Lagos in the late 60s, there was nothing like a Muslim boy or Christian boy, we had no such disctinction. A Christian boy could walk into a mosque to eat "mosa" without any qualms. Likewise, a Muslim boy would follow the Boys Brigade band to any length and feast with them at the end of the parade. It was all fun.

I am really getting worried with this worrisome dimension coming to the South West. I just hope this is limited to the Internet and not a true reflection of what is going on in the South West.

NLs with similar background should please share there own experience.
Re: Mixed Christian-Muslim Families - Let's Share Experience by Ahmed0336(m): 5:46pm On Jun 10, 2016
Hmmm Sounds good!!! Brb pls tongue
Re: Mixed Christian-Muslim Families - Let's Share Experience by pet4ril(f): 5:56pm On Jun 10, 2016
I'm wondering too because my cousin and his family are muslims and we don't even remember their religious background because we do things as families

2 Likes

Re: Mixed Christian-Muslim Families - Let's Share Experience by BrightEye(m): 6:28pm On Jun 10, 2016
As a christian I have a brother, I mean blood brother of the same parents, who is a Muslim. He is the last born , he just called me recently to sent him his Ramadan stuff.

1 Like

Re: Mixed Christian-Muslim Families - Let's Share Experience by Nobody: 8:15pm On Jun 10, 2016
You must be yoruba... the unhealthy arguments you see see online mainly stem from them children of hate.
Re: Mixed Christian-Muslim Families - Let's Share Experience by Nobody: 10:56pm On Jun 10, 2016
Yoruba Muslims are calm. Those Muslims don't understand why Christians attack them on here, unlike those fools up north who mixed illiteracy and poverty with fool hardiness. What a combination, how then would they ever want to know anything.

I doubt you'd see any Sunni Muslim from the Northern Majority have christians as his cousin... ; na wa o, na to use the family do suya grin

2 Likes

Re: Mixed Christian-Muslim Families - Let's Share Experience by Yoyostic: 11:24pm On Jun 10, 2016
I am from a mixed religion family. My parents were muslims.My blood siblings are muslims and i am a christain. Some of my step siblings are muslims while some are christain and we respect each others religion. I used to have a praying mat in my house for my muslim siblings whenever they visit. During Sallah i go visiting some of my muslim relatives. Most middle belt families are of mixed religion.

3 Likes

Re: Mixed Christian-Muslim Families - Let's Share Experience by JBismarck(m): 9:00pm On Jun 12, 2016
I was born by Muslims - both parents. I grew up with my paternal grandma who is also a Muslim but very liberal. She would allow us follow our neighbours to different churches especially during festivities. My cousin they we both grew up together in her place ended up marrying a Christian lady and eventually converted to Christianity without anybody raising any eyebrow. As for me, I renounced Islam in 2005 but I have never missed any Ileya festival in my grandma's place. We all contribute money to buy the rams, my grandma don't want to know your religion, just contribute your own due and be present for the Ileya festival is her own. It is always like big carnival in my grandma's place. A big family annual get-together. I'm a freethinker for those who care to know and I guess my grandma's liberalism played a big role on my religious leaning.

To even think this has not reached FP is a pointer to the fact that our Mods are not willing to contribute their own quota towards dousing the rising socioreligious tension.

Oya, Lalasticlala, Seun, Obinoscopy, Mogidi Dominique and Mynd44 do the needful please.

2 Likes

(1) (Reply)

I Got This Funny Quote (pictures ) / [PHOTO] Bishop Child Mimics Bishop Kukah, To Defraud Oyedepo, Others / Stephanie Otobo Latest News And Videos 31.03.2017

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.