Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,198,430 members, 7,968,158 topics. Date: Sunday, 06 October 2024 at 07:22 PM

List Of 36 States Of Nigeria And Their Meanings - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / List Of 36 States Of Nigeria And Their Meanings (66487 Views)

Poverty Rate Of The 36 States Of The Federation Zamfara Top The Chart With 91% / Poverty Rate Of The 36 States In Nigeria By United Nation Poverty Index / It's A Shame That 27 Out Of 36 States Can't Pay Salaries- Buhari (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: List Of 36 States Of Nigeria And Their Meanings by natureem: 8:50pm On Jun 11, 2016
You did great OP. Nice collection
Re: List Of 36 States Of Nigeria And Their Meanings by Henrydone: 8:53pm On Jun 11, 2016
@op nice one
Re: List Of 36 States Of Nigeria And Their Meanings by tunene66: 9:29pm On Jun 11, 2016
Wonderful write up
Re: List Of 36 States Of Nigeria And Their Meanings by firstolalekan(m): 9:30pm On Jun 11, 2016
johnca:
30. OYO STATE
[s]It was named after the Old Oyo Empire, one of the strongest in Africa. Now a much smaller kingdom, Oyo is headed by the Alaafin (the Owner of the Palace). Old Oyo was known as Katunga and is now a tiny location along the Kwara-Oyo border (a nice place for historical excursion if you ask me). The exact meaning of Oyo itself is shrouded in so much controversy, some accounts even suggest that the name was a foreign word imposed by the Nupe warrior king, Tsoede, when he conquered the Old Oyo Empire. And that’s where it gets murky.[/s]

31. PLATEAU STATE
This extremely beautiful but scarred and injured state was named for the Jos Plateau, one of the most breath-taking in Africa. The Shere Hills form the highest point of the plateau at a height of about 6,000 ft. Rivers Kaduna, Yobe, Gongola and Hadejia all take their source from the Jos Plateau. I pray lasting peace comes to Plateau State and all of Nigeria. As Nigerians, we have all it takes to rule the world, only if we can shed our bestial tendencies and see the humanity in all of us.

32. RIVERS STATE
A state criss-crossed by many water bodies, Rivers State (once again, it is not River State) was named for many of the rivers present in the area. Well, this is not funny at all, looking at the barrage of floods the state has had to face, especially in recent times.
Rubbish
That's your sick theory.
Re: List Of 36 States Of Nigeria And Their Meanings by MrRichy(m): 9:47pm On Jun 11, 2016
proudly Nwa Abia.. cool
Re: List Of 36 States Of Nigeria And Their Meanings by lordcenred(m): 11:07pm On Jun 11, 2016
I partially agree with that of Akwa Ibom cos it's the history of Qua Iboe Church. We Akwaibomites know the full meaning to be "Akwa Abasi-Ibom" state meaning "Mighty God of Host".
Re: List Of 36 States Of Nigeria And Their Meanings by Malikko(m): 11:11pm On Jun 11, 2016
Ọdẹ ni bobo yìí sha cry
Mediapace:
OSUN MEANING MUST BE RELATED TO DEBT
Re: List Of 36 States Of Nigeria And Their Meanings by Nobody: 11:47pm On Jun 11, 2016
kenonze:

U don't know your root
U dont read ur own history
Re: List Of 36 States Of Nigeria And Their Meanings by Successful01(m): 12:08am On Jun 12, 2016
hardbody:

Are you sure the last acronym in ABIA represents Afikpo? Afikpo to my mind was never in Abia State. Arochukwu might be more like it.
. Who told you Afikpo was never in Abia? Afikpo was in old IMO state, then Abia state before Ebonyi state. Ebonyi state was created from Afikpo zone formally in Abia state and the Abakaliki zone formally in Enugu state.
Re: List Of 36 States Of Nigeria And Their Meanings by papiwyte(m): 1:15am On Jun 12, 2016
Proudly KOGITE.....God bless Kogi State
Re: List Of 36 States Of Nigeria And Their Meanings by Nobody: 5:22am On Jun 12, 2016
Nice one
Re: List Of 36 States Of Nigeria And Their Meanings by Mediapace: 6:00am On Jun 12, 2016
Must you always be stupid ?
Malikko:
Ọdẹ ni bobo yìí sha cry
Re: List Of 36 States Of Nigeria And Their Meanings by hardbody: 8:27am On Jun 12, 2016
Successful01:
. Who told you Afikpo was never in Abia? Afikpo was in old IMO state, then Abia state before Ebonyi state. Ebonyi state was created from Afikpo zone formally in Abia state and the Abakaliki zone formally in Enugu state.

Bros dont get angry, I only sought clarification. No one knows it all, and I am not an enyclopaedia. Thank you

2 Likes

Re: List Of 36 States Of Nigeria And Their Meanings by ugodezzy(f): 3:00pm On Jun 12, 2016
God bless you for putting this up.

I rep Imo State

God bless Nigeria
May our cultural heritage never die!!!
Re: List Of 36 States Of Nigeria And Their Meanings by Successful01(m): 5:42pm On Jun 12, 2016
hardbody:

Bros dont get angry, I only sought clarification. No one knows it all, and I am not an enyclopaedia. Thank you
. Ahh! Why should I be angry. I am not o.
Re: List Of 36 States Of Nigeria And Their Meanings by Successful01(m): 5:43pm On Jun 12, 2016
hardbody:

. Ahh! Why should I be angry.? I am not o.
Re: List Of 36 States Of Nigeria And Their Meanings by horpsycoded: 12:47pm On Jun 14, 2016
Who wil pay me if i read all these. i cant kill myself. only d place i belong is wat i read
Re: List Of 36 States Of Nigeria And Their Meanings by creamylicious(f): 6:20pm On Dec 06, 2018
Very educative...... I just used this to answer a question
Re: List Of 36 States Of Nigeria And Their Meanings by johnca(m): 10:23am On Nov 15, 2023
Wow

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Video Of Godwin Emefiele In DSS Custody, Being Flown To Abuja / Arthur Eze In Casual Outfit As He Visits Governor Ugwuanyi In Enugu. Photos / IGP Adamu Orders Arrest Of Sunday Igboho Over Eviction Notice

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.