Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,188,608 members, 7,934,831 topics. Date: Thursday, 29 August 2024 at 02:13 PM

Is Christianity A Selfish Religion? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is Christianity A Selfish Religion? (857 Views)

Iceland Declares Christianity A Public Health Hazard / Is Christianity A Religion Of Peace / Iceland Declares Christianity A Public Health Hazard (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Christianity A Selfish Religion? by viceric677(m): 5:04pm On Jun 17, 2016
Is Christianity a selfish religion? Do we tell people to repent because we ourselves want to make heaven or because we want the person to make heaven? Or both? (I doubt). The way Christianity is practiced makes me compare it with students preparing for exams: no student studies for another. Each individual study because they want to pass.

3 Likes

Re: Is Christianity A Selfish Religion? by smellingmenses: 5:06pm On Jun 17, 2016
Y discuss something beyond the scope of your intelligence?

1 Like

Re: Is Christianity A Selfish Religion? by Nobody: 5:16pm On Jun 17, 2016
Nah....
Re: Is Christianity A Selfish Religion? by davien(m): 5:23pm On Jun 17, 2016
smellingmenses:
Y discuss something beyond the scope of your intelligence?
How is it beyond his intelligence?
Re: Is Christianity A Selfish Religion? by Smartanthony: 5:24pm On Jun 17, 2016
do u mean sell-fish ;Ddo u mean sell-fish
Re: Is Christianity A Selfish Religion? by GlorifiedTunde(m): 5:25pm On Jun 17, 2016
Silly question!

Can a selfish person give his life to redeem men from sin and destruction?

That's what Jesus did for you asking a silly question. angry
Re: Is Christianity A Selfish Religion? by viceric677(m): 5:30pm On Jun 17, 2016
GlorifiedTunde:
Silly question!

Jesus isn't the subject here. Christianity is. So focus on the subject and stop being blinded by religious jingoism.

3 Likes

Re: Is Christianity A Selfish Religion? by smellingmenses: 5:32pm On Jun 17, 2016
viceric677:

Jesus isn't the subject here. Christianity is. So focus on the subject and stop being blinded by religious jingoism.
Seriously beyond your scope of mental acuity
Re: Is Christianity A Selfish Religion? by davien(m): 5:32pm On Jun 17, 2016
GlorifiedTunde:
Silly question!

How is it a sacrifice when it planned everything and wasn't ever mortal in the first place?... according to the theology of course.

2 Likes

Re: Is Christianity A Selfish Religion? by smellingmenses: 5:35pm On Jun 17, 2016
GlorifiedTunde:
>sad
How is fuel and tomatoes in your area bro?
Re: Is Christianity A Selfish Religion? by johnydon22(m): 5:38pm On Jun 17, 2016
GlorifiedTunde:
Silly question!

Gave his life? the one he picked up 3 days later... Nope that isn't real sacrifice.

You want to know an example of real selfless sacrifice..

Take a look at the soldiers..

They give their life for you to live knowing fully well they aren't waking up again.

they sacrificed their life and stayed dead !!!

13 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Is Christianity A Selfish Religion? by davien(m): 5:39pm On Jun 17, 2016
viceric677 expect nothing but insults from most christians because you're asking questions they're too afraid to ask..

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Is Christianity A Selfish Religion? by smellingmenses: 5:40pm On Jun 17, 2016
johnydon22:

Gave his life? the one he picked up 3 days later... Nope that isn't real sacrifice.

They give their life for you to live knowing fully well they aren't waking up again.

What's for dinner tonight
Re: Is Christianity A Selfish Religion? by smellingmenses: 5:42pm On Jun 17, 2016
davien:
expect nothing but insults from most christians because you're asking questions they're too afraid to ask..
What's up with your Friday?
Re: Is Christianity A Selfish Religion? by CAPSLOCKED: 10:19pm On Jun 17, 2016
undecided
Re: Is Christianity A Selfish Religion? by hturb(m): 11:01pm On Jun 17, 2016
johnydon22:

...this is y christains need to study Hard and ask d holy spirit for wisdomm.johnny don u are right soldiers pay sacrifices,now listen to the word of yeshua of nazareth because I'm a follower of yeshsua mark 10:45 says "For even the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many.'”...a sacrifice is not a ransom,a ransome is paid to a kidnapper holding people captive so as to set them free..many christains claim jesus paid the sacifices for ur sins,but if he paid we can't say God forgave us,imagine I owe u 500,sum1 paid u d 500 on my behalf then u come to me and say I am forgiven.I wasn't frgiven sum1 paid the debt...if u had said don't worry don't pay again that is forgiveness...I strongly believe jesus gave his life as a ransome and not a sacrifice.hope to hear frm u
Re: Is Christianity A Selfish Religion? by Lucario007(m): 5:43am On Jun 18, 2016
viceric677:
Is Christianity a selfish religion? Do we tell people to repent because we ourselves want to make heaven or because we want the person to make heaven? Or both? (I doubt). The way Christianity is practiced makes me compare it with students preparing for exams: no student studies for another. Each individual study because they want to pass.

I know I will get flamed for this, but yes. I believe Christianity is a selfish religion. Think about it, if you honestly and truthfully knew that there were no heaven or if there was no hell, do you really think there would still be Christians?

People turn to religion because they fear damnation, Africans are so deeply rooted in spiritualism that we believe there is a great evil coming after us, we believe that there is the dark side of the force filled with the devil and his demons and their agents, and that there is the light side filled with God and his angels.
To us, God is the good guy promising eternal life and happiness, and the devil is the villain who doesn't want us to achieve it. So they join God's army, believing in him, praying, and hoping that all their deeds on earth will help in sowing their seeds for eternal enjoyment when they die.
Do you really think your pastor TRULY cares about you as a person? Hell no. In his mind, he is converting you to Christianity as a token, as a price he is paying, he has 'won a soul' not because he cares about you, but because he believes he is guaranteeing himself a nice comfy mansion in heaven.
Let's face it people, deep down to the roots, Christianity and basically all religions are selfish because all everyone cares about is getting themselves to heaven so they do not suffer hell.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Is Christianity A Selfish Religion? by TrajansKong: 7:10am On Jun 18, 2016
Lucario007:

I know I will get flamed for this, but yes. I believe Christianity is a selfish religion. Think about it, if you honestly and truthfully knew that there were no heaven or if there was no hell, do you really think there would still be Christians?

People turn to religion because they fear damnation, Africans are so deeply rooted in spiritualism that we believe there is a great evil coming after us, we believe that there is the dark side of the force filled with the devil and his demons and their agents, and that there is the light side filled with God and his angels.
To us, God is the good guy promising eternal life and happiness, and the devil is the villain who doesn't want us to achieve it. So they join God's army, believing in him, praying, and hoping that all their deeds on earth will help in sowing their seeds for eternal enjoyment when they die.
Do you really think your pastor TRULY cares about you as a person? Hell no. In his mind, he is converting you to Christianity as a token, as a price he is paying, he has 'won a soul' not because he cares about you, but because he believes he is guaranteeing himself a nice comfy mansion in heaven.
Let's face it people, deep down to the roots, Christianity and basically all religions are selfish because all everyone cares about is getting themselves to heaven so they do not suffer hell.

Is the correct answer. cool
Re: Is Christianity A Selfish Religion? by cloudgoddess(f): 8:36am On Jun 18, 2016
Lucario007:

This brilliant post highlights another damaging aspect of religion. The reliance on black and white thinking, which creates a skewed view of reality.

The Dark side & Light side are purely conconctions of human cognition. Concepts by which to categorize our experience as simply as possible. But there is no ultimate good person ("angel" ) or ultimately evil person ("devil/demon" ). Just human psychological conditionings & biological tendencies that align & interact in such a way to produce acts we call "good" or "evil" (which is why the person committing evil always thinks he's doing the right thing). The potential to be an angel or a devil exists in all of us. Our life experiences shape our individual brains, determining which we will be at any given moment. And if we're honest with ourselves, we all embody both/either to varying degrees at varying times.

From that perspective, a perspective that acknowledges the "grayness" that is reality, it becomes obvious that the best thing for humanity to focus on, is improving the conditions as much as possible to create happier, more creative, and more connected human beings. Not waste time on false dichotomies, absolutes and ideals that only exist inside our minds.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is Christianity A Selfish Religion? by orisa37: 2:56pm On Jun 18, 2016
No. It's a Righteous Religion..
Re: Is Christianity A Selfish Religion? by Nobody: 6:46pm On Jun 18, 2016
Yeah Christians Are Very Selfish A Study Test Was Done In The U.S Between Christian Children And Atheist Children Can U Believe The Christian Children Were More Greedy Than The Atheist Children!!

Apart From That This Is Something We Observe EveryDay In Nigeria Imagine Someone Being Happy That Their Enemy Will Perish In Hell While They Will Be Partying In Heaven With Jesus

Imagine People Sleeping In The Street Everyday Why Aren't They Allowed Inside The Church To Sleep?? Meaning The Pastor Doesn't Care??

Imagine Members Willing To Give 10% To The Pastors Will People Are Begging In The Street They Can't Even Give One Kobo

All This In The Name Of Greed

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (Reply)

2face, Annie And Sound Sultan In Sokoto, Bishop Kukah Welcomes Them / .. / A Talk With God

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.