Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,190,986 members, 7,942,535 topics. Date: Saturday, 07 September 2024 at 11:56 AM

Grammar Conflict: Converge ON Vs Converge AT - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Grammar Conflict: Converge ON Vs Converge AT (2977 Views)

10 Grammar Mistakes You Should Avoid / This Grammar Question Will Throw You Off Balance / Tough English Tongue Twisters To Help Your Grammar And Pronunciation (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Grammar Conflict: Converge ON Vs Converge AT by Sanchez01: 6:59pm On Jun 19, 2016
Several years back, during an EGL 101 class, I was made to know one of the characteristics of language is DYNAMISM. Language changes from time to time and it can be pretty fascinating to know what used to be termed 'correct' yesterday is 'incorrect' today. Such is the power of English language.

So I was asked to help out at a particular NYSC orientation camp, alongside some colleagues at the OBS studio, in recruiting and 'teaching' the new PCMs how it done . Long story short, we did all we had to do and got ready to leave the camp after several days. While trying to find my way out of the camp, I met the former Camp Director, alongside a colleague of his. He called my attention to the fact that 'several blunders' had been made since Day One. He claimed he had been hearing 'converge on' on radio instead of 'converge at'. He clearly knew it was me over the radio but for some reasons tried being subtle. I didn't waste any time telling him the 'blunders'are not in any way blunders but the real deal.

He was taken aback for some seconds and argued severally as to why CONVERGE ON is correct instead of CONVERGE AT. He tried being 'logical'over grammar, saying converge on could be correct if it is used on an open, uncovered place. For example;

According to him

1. The protesters converged on the field.
2. The protesters converged at the hall.

While it seems logical enough, I would be quick to point out that logic does not apply to grammar. That it sounds pleasing to the ears does not mean it is correct and vice versa. Unfortunately, his logic is wrong.
Please note that CONVERGE ON is the ONLY correct and acceptable form between both, irrespective of location, covered or uncovered.

For example;
1. Please inform all the contestants to CONVERGE ON the hall immediately.
2. All the athletes converged on the field for their training.
3. I was told that all opticians in Lagos are to converge on Eko Hotel's conference room.

The preposition AT has been substituted with the preposition ON, which is largely the bone of contention. Regardless, just like I earlier mentioned, it does not necessarily need to sound 'sweet'or pleasing to the ears. Such is the power of language, particularly English language. Till date some are yet to move on from the concept of 'Night Vigil'. Be dynamic as every language.

Lalasticlala

1 Like

Re: Grammar Conflict: Converge ON Vs Converge AT by JBismarck(m): 7:07pm On Jun 19, 2016
Wetin conzan me? Our beloved pidgin is OK and very receptive. You fit express yasef anyhow and your audience go decode you. Na Hausa language I wan learn now and later go for Igbo language.
Re: Grammar Conflict: Converge ON Vs Converge AT by Sanchez01: 7:23pm On Jun 19, 2016
JBismarck:
Wetin conzan me? Our beloved pidgin is OK and very receptive. You fit express yasef anyhow and your audience go decode you. Na Hausa language I wan learn now and later go for Igbo language.
True, but then again, pidgin English has restrictions. There are certain degrees to which one is allowed to use pidgin English. In a formal setting, pidign is never tolerated.
Re: Grammar Conflict: Converge ON Vs Converge AT by sammyscholar(m): 11:13pm On Jun 19, 2016
I still go with what the man said. The two prepositions go with the verb and I will not use 'on' where 'at' is appropriate.
Re: Grammar Conflict: Converge ON Vs Converge AT by Sanchez01: 1:00pm On Jun 22, 2016
sammyscholar:
I still go with what the man said. The two prepositions go with the verb and I will not use 'on' where 'at' is appropriate.
Lol. Interesting, to say. What many don't understand is that words that are often together are not usually regarded as one but two. If it was just the preposition 'on' or 'at' then we would have rightly chosen the proper. For example, 'Further more' is not considered two words but a single word, just like 'converge on' in this regard. Interestingly both are prepositions. One used to be and another has been adopted. Simply put, it is archaic at this point to say 'converge at'.

(1) (Reply)

Telecommunication Engineering Or Computer Science - / Ptdf Online Overseas Scholarship Application Forms Out-for Nigerians Only / Nuba Polytechnic, Zaria 2010/2011 Admissions

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.